Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorting cardstock

How do you sort your cardstock by color or collections which do you think works best
I have mine in a filing cabinet.
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have tons of 81/2 X 11 card stock. I have it sorted by color--White, Black, then RBYGV. I have it stored in magazine holders in an open book case. I like being able to see the paper and pull it quickly. This works great for me. I don't feel like I have a good system for pattern paper. I keep them together with whatever kit or pad it came in. I do try to keep Christmas papers together. Maybe I will learn a new trick from your responses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 525 Likes on 237 Posts

My SU cardstock is sorted by collection. Don't know if I have any real reason as to why I do that other than that is the way my mind thinks at this time. I've been using SU papers and inks for over 12 years now.

My scrapbook paper has always been sorted by color, mainly because it is a mixture of companies and it doesn't make sense to separate the companies. I would add that I have a limited supply of this paper since I tend to purchase for projects.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had and used a big sorting unit from the office store for several years, and I still like it. It's for my 8.5x11, and it stores the papers flat. I tend to store by SU color families. There are a lot of slots to organize in different ways. You may be inspiring me to rethink how I have my cardstock in there though!

Here's the office store unit that I have on top of an armoire.
Jamie's Stamping Cafe: Stamp Room: Paper Organization
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have my 12x12 in SU's sorters. I have four of them. One for DSP. One for solid papers. One for scrapbook kits I have made up for customers. And one for retired DSP's that I cut down for customer treats. The four sorters fit on top of one of my rolling carts, right next to the 8.5x11 sorter.

Jamie's Stamping Cafe: Organizing with Rolling Carts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I sort mine by color, too. It seems to work best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I sort my cardstock by the colors I use most. Black, white, ivory, blue, brown, kraft, green, then whatever ended up next.

I keep my 12x12 in Cropper Hopper vertical holders and my 8.5 x 11 is in a large file box in hanging file folders.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I sort my cardstock by SU color name in alphabetical order. I have retired and In Color also in with them. I have never sorted by color family. I can’t remember what colors are in which families, so it is just easier for me to have it all from A to Z. Since I can remember the SU color names when I’m working on something, this system works great for me. I have one very long file drawer for 8-1/2 X 11 and a different file cabinet houses my 12 x 12 (also from A to Z by SU color name). I keep the white and vanilla out on my desktop since I use these the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine's on a shelf using 5 SU plastic holders. Whites, creams, etc and Kraft separate, then one container of neutrals like blacks, browns, sand, etc, other colors in 4 other containers in rainbow order. Brands all mixed together including SU's retired colors. I also keep each color separate in large capacity page protectors. Any extra or unopened packs I keep in the back of a heavy duty file cabinet drawer.
It's an inexpensive method and doesn't take up a ton of space. I can see all the colors at once and it all stays in pristine condition with no bent corners and the page protectors allow me to keep larger scraps with each color. Haven't had any issues with fading either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I sort my card stock and patterned paper by colour as I have such a big mixture from various companies. The only paper that doesn't get sorted into colour are papers that are very distinctly Christmas (I am particularly drawn to Christmas papers). They have their own folder. Also, patterned papers that have lots of colours - if I can't decide which colour to put the paper into then it goes in the rainbow section of my paper holders. If the paper is double sided, I will file by the side that I prefer the most as I am more likely to use it.
I keep my paper in 12x12 magazine type holders. I think they are from Cropper Hopper. I also have folders that can hold the scraps. My colours are white, cream, beige, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, brown, black, grey, green, blue, Christmas, and rainbow. They all sit together in 4 holders. I don't separate them with tabs. I can see easily enough the colour that I am after.
(Since sorting all my papers into colours, I find myself now sorting my wardrobe into colours too!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have my 8 1/2 x 11 papers, 99% which is SU, in a filing cabinet as well. I have it sorted in alphabetical order by name. I store my metallic paper and Bazzill paper in front of "A". I have a folder for "specialty paper"; i.e. mulberry and vellum, behind the "W". I sort by 12 x 12 papers in a Jetmax cube with the 4 slots vertical. I have it sorted by solid 12 x 12, pretty paper like flowers, dots and stripes or the more graphic and finally holiday. Not the best system for 12 x 12, but it works.

I am thinking about sorting my paper by color now. Sure I know the names of the SU colors, but when I need a blue color to match my pattern paper I think "Baja Breeze" only to find out that is not the right shade, then I have to look through both drawers to find the right blue. If I kept all the blues next to each other then I would just go right down the line.

I also think about doing a color swatch. Then I would pull out my ring of paper and compare a sample then go to the files.

Many options, but I do love to organize so I don't mind trying different ideas 'til I find the one that works. I put all my SU pads in color order and I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nell BelleView Post
(Since sorting all my papers into colours, I find myself now sorting my wardrobe into colours too!!!)
I also do this!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #13  
stu
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post

I also think about doing a color swatch. Then I would pull out my ring of paper and compare a sample then go to the files.
I took a tag punch and made a color swatch by punching out every color of cardstock I have. The hole on each tag is reinforced and the tags are on a ring by color families and by non SU colors. It has been immensely helpful--I don't have to go to my hanging files and pull out cardstock to find the best color for my project. The tags also allow me to put two colors together to see whether or not they look good together.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I only have SU cardstock and I use a filing cabinet too. I alphabetize - I used to have them by family but then that changed and I didn't memorize their new families, etc. and alphabetical seemed easier to remember. White, Very Vanilla and Black go in a different thing though - a rubbermade drawer thing cause I use that paper the most.

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I have mostly stampin up! I sort them by ROY G. Biv in my wood paper racks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I store by color because that is how I stamp. I don't care about who made the paper unless it's SU. I'm a demo so I keep the SU paper together by color.

It really depends on how you design. I have so much paper that I couldn't remember what I have from each company and when working on design I am usually looking for a color not a specific paper design.

Also, I keep all my theme papers together. I group them by Christmas, Halloween, Fall/Thanksgiving, Easter. Paper that I bought for grandkids scrapbooks are together, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I store my plain cardstock, Reds, Yellows, Blues, Greens, Purples, Browns, Blacks and Grays, and White - all of which are stored in Jetmax cubes

My 12x12 papers are stored by colour in Iris boxes.

all other DP is stored in its original packaging - havent got to that yet!

my plain cardstock storage works for me, however I need to look at my 12 x12 as i just dont think it is working for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 829 Likes on 336 Posts

I sort my cardstock by colors in hanging folders. Colors are arranged ROYGBIV

I buy the open stock paper from Hobby Lobby. It is not white core, and I love the colors. I stock when I get low AND when they have it marked 50% off, which is 22 cents per sheet. I use this for layers and the cards. I made swatches with the color names on them and tied them with cord. When I need some, I put stickys on the color cards I want and how many. That way, I can spend what I plan.

To stamp on I use Gina K's Pure Luxury.
Reply With Quote Likes