Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp storage

Hi I have my clear stamps organised in cd cases. I have recently been told not to use these as the stamps loose their stickiness and they melt into the cars making it hard to remove from the case. Is this correct, should I find another storage idea for my clear stamps
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Splitcoast Ronnie!

I've had many stamp sets in cd cases for years without that problem, but the CD cases break easily and are harder to organize. I much prefer Jennifer McGuire's method of using plastic sleeves. It's more flexible and easier to organize.

Stamp and Die Storage Pockets Overview + GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thankyou for your reply Rubbernecker, I was just wondering the clear stamps that you had in cd cases, were they stuck straight onto the cd case or stuck onto something first then onto the case.
I am now thinking of changing to the plastic sleeves, it is such a big job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree that the solution with the plastic sleeves is probably the best, and I also agree that it is a big job. I've done, re-done, re-re-done, re-re-re-re done, re-re-re-re-re-re (you get the idea) my stamp storage every time I encounter a solution that sounds better than whatever I have going on at the time, and I keep circling back around to this one. I'm currently in the middle of a "hybrid" project: I'm putting all of my sentiment stamps into trading card pages a la Shazsilverwolf, but leaving all of my image stamps in the plastic sleeves.

My biggest recommendation on this undertaking is to buy a laminator and laminating sheets, and some cheap cardstock. I have this one and these that I use for mine. I buy whatever white cardstock I find that is on sale cheap. I used to get 80-lb Georgia Pacific from Walmart, but they only carry the 110-lb now.

If you want/need a lot of information on this subject, there is a lot in this thread (including Shaz's info). One word of caution, though: the AdTech adhesive discussed in that thread no longer works the way it used to, so I DO NOT recommend it any more!

One other thing to consider: some people like to stamp an index sheet of the stamps intended to go in a particular sleeve, then laminate that. I rearrange my stamps often enough that I leave the cardstock plain so I don't have to re-stamp and re-laminate every time. I also ONLY stamp the sentiments now - I can tell what the images are or refer to my "master index" if I need to.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for all your help, i think the pockets are the way to go
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gregzgurl you might want to check out poster board that is sold in multipacks at office supply stores. It seems to be about the same weight as 80 lb cs and is a fairly good deal, especially if you get it on sale. you would have to cut it to size though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The Jennifer McGuire video Rubberneckers linked you (or maybe another of hers) was so valuable for me when I was setting up a system, and there are some others by her. I follow her pocket/bin method fairly closely, though sort mainly by category/theme while she sorts by manufacturer since she tracks by manufacturer for her job.

She does not laminate cardstock or index her stamps, useful for some stampers but those extra steps/pieces don't provide enough added value for me.

Having stamps in pockets can also make mini-instant purging easy, since when just leafing though to grab a set, other sets are easy to see, aka why did I keep this one?!

Good luck. it's a big job but there's no mad rush or deadline, and taken a bite at a time you can get through it relatively painlessly. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all the above. it's a big task but it saves space and makes them so much easier to store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Sue - I've always enjoyed your tips and advice for stamp storage. I am in the long process (long process) of converting all my wood stamps to bare rubber. You mentioned above that Ad Tec does not work, and I am finding that out. They must have changed it. What do you suggest for sticking the bare rubber to the laminated cards or acrylic blocks when they don't stick?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcchioView Post
Sue - I've always enjoyed your tips and advice for stamp storage. I am in the long process (long process) of converting all my wood stamps to bare rubber. You mentioned above that Ad Tec does not work, and I am finding that out. They must have changed it. What do you suggest for sticking the bare rubber to the laminated cards or acrylic blocks when they don't stick?

What I'm using now isn't my "happy space", by a long shot, but hey, we adjust, right? I've started using slightly watered-down Tack It Over and Over on any stamps I've purchased since the AdTech switch (why must they mess up what's already working just fine?). On another thread someone suggested a different product that sounded better, but I got sidetracked with life and never got any. If/when I find that thread, I'll alert you what the poster suggested...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

This might be a dumb question, but I’ve just bought a laminator and some Tack it Over and Over. I’d already purchased some coin and trading card pockets prior to this for my rubber stamps. I’ve never used a laminator, so my question is, would I be able to laminate some A4 cardstock and then cut it up so it will fit into the ATC pockets?I don’t want to waste the pockets, and I can’t just put the stamps straight into the pockets once I’ve applied TIOO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyCavalierView Post
This might be a dumb question, but I�ve just bought a laminator and some Tack it Over and Over. I�d already purchased some coin and trading card pockets prior to this for my rubber stamps. I�ve never used a laminator, so my question is, would I be able to laminate some A4 cardstock and then cut it up so it will fit into the ATC pockets?I don�t want to waste the pockets, and I can�t just put the stamps straight into the pockets once I�ve applied TIOO.
That is exactly what I do - laminate cardstock, cut it up, stick the stamps to it and put it in the pockets. I often laminate half of a sheet of cardstock and let the empty half of the laminating pouch seal to itself. I use that half to create "cover sheets" for photopolymer stamps so they won't stick to the pockets...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Thank you Sue - that’s great to hear. Thanks also for the tip about using half the empty pouch to create cover sheets. Great idea and something I would never have thought of. I’ve also bought some pre-cut blank trading cards, so I’m also wondering if I could stamp my image on these, and individually place 9 of them in the pouch, run them through the laminator and then cut them up to place in the pockets with the stamp. Either way I’m happy !

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyCavalierView Post
Thank you Sue - that�s great to hear. Thanks also for the tip about using half the empty pouch to create cover sheets. Great idea and something I would never have thought of. I�ve also bought some pre-cut blank trading cards, so I�m also wondering if I could stamp my image on these, and individually place 9 of them in the pouch, run them through the laminator and then cut them up to place in the pockets with the stamp. Either way I�m happy !

Linda

Yes, you can do that (stamp, then laminate) if you choose, you'll just have to be prepared to support the whole pouch as it's feeding through the laminator. I'm too impatient for that (I start cutting down the already-laminated cardstock while another one is feeding through). I never stamp the cardstock that's going to be laminated. I do stamp an index card for sentiments, but not for the images. You know what you'll be comfortable with, though, so let that guide you. One thing to consider is to cut the laminated cardstock slightly smaller than the actual pocket, so there's enough "wiggle room" to get it in and out once the stamp is on there. For the trading card pockets, I trim them to 2 1/4" x 3 1/4", so basically 1/4" smaller each dimension. You may also find that you want to round the corners so they don't catch (I use my Corner Chomper to do multiples at a time).

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: correct a typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Thanks again - I really appreciate your hints and tips. I plan to get my new laminator out of its box this weekend and have a “play”. Think I may just do what you do, and laminate the whole sheet then cut it down. I had it in my head that the pouches were “tacky” and would hold the trading cards in place, but if they’re not, I can see that would be more trouble than it’s worth and they would be sliding about all over the place ! Thanks also for the measurements and the tip about rounding the corners. Looking forward to getting started!
Reply With Quote Likes