Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage of larger Ums

I love storing my ums in CD cases as I can flip through but what can I do with the stamps that are too big for CD cases? DVD cases don't have the smooth flat sides for the ums to stick on. Clear acrylic pages in folders I found broke too easily - this was my first storage attempt for all my ums but didn't suit my personality. Any suggestions from others who love the CD case storage.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same dilemma. My current solution isn't perfect, but it's working for now. At a garage sale, I found a bill/mail organizer that sits on my desk. It's got 31 slots (for days of the month). It turned out to be the perfect size to "file" my largest unmounted background stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to something similar to my $2 garage sale bargain. Mine has solid sides and is open just on the top. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...ore-views
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for this photo as I had no idea what you meant before this though I understand yours is open at the top. Do you still stick the ums onto a sheet of acrylic or something.
At the moment I stick the ums onto a sheet of acrylic and put the sheet inside a DVD case with a stamped copy inside the cover sleeve so I can see what is inside and a category list on the viewing edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I use an Excel worksheet w/the headings as follows. This way I can search for a description or brand, I've even used the cost!
I use another worksheet for Punches.Cutting tools, Books, Miscellaneous; I got tired of bringing duplicate things home so just print out the part of the document that I want and it's "off to the show!"
column A is so I can number and keep a count, of course it's only the row count but is frightening every time I re-do it!
B put an "R" for Rubber stamp with or without the wood mount
C put a "C" for Clear acrylic
D = Title of the Group (such as Stampin Up's)
E = How Many Stamps in the Group
F = Description of the group or main stamp
G = Size (i.e., 2"x2" if a group I don't bother)
H = Vendor
I = Item #
J = Cost
K, L, M etc = descriptions of each stamp in the set, or notation of something special about the stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I've got the individual stamps displayed on two of the Making Memories white shelving units, and the sets stacked on a bookshelf (with the clear boxes' names headed out of course.) I've got a short box for the clear acrylic Hero Arts sets but need to come up with something better. I am a little worried that the large lunchbox and purse type stamps will slip from their wood mounts but my room doesn't get hot - they still look okay and are a year old. I love sitting at my computer or scrap table and looking at all the cute/pretty stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Indexing

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredPJView Post
I use an Excel worksheet w/the headings as follows. This way I can search for a description or brand, I've even used the cost!
B put an "R" for Rubber stamp with or without the wood mount
etc
Wow that is super organized. No excel worksheet for me. The costings is a good idea for insurance purposes.
I have unmounted all my stamps mainly to save space and have all of them on shelving at my desk.
I did keep a book with each image in it but I have just simplified mine to just a photocopy of each index that I put in each CD case mainly for going to the craft shows though I have never duplicated a stamp, it use it mainly to purchase co-ordinated or complimentary images. This makes it easier for me as when I purchase additional stamps I may change the contents of a CD case. I even break up sets of stamps (especially with greetings) and store them by category which suits my personality better.
I do colour code my categories to make it a tad faster to find. (I also have sub categories too)
Black & white is my words & greetings
Pink is Animals
Blue is Marine
Green is Flora
Red is Seasonal
etc
Now if I could find a system that suits me to a "T" for the larger Ums. If it is too hard to access I tend to bypass them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I ran into the same problem and switched to the snap lock cases that I buy from Unity. It can get pricey buying the insert folders so I've been laminating cardstock. Here is a sample from my stamproom redo.

I also had a problem that after awhile the cd case hinges start to break and now with these cases the problem is solved. You can put a lot of stamps in these cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I ... switched to the snap lock cases ... I've been laminating cardstock. ... You can put a lot of stamps in these cases.
I love the idea of laminating the cardstock with stamped indexes. This might work for me. As I am typing, I think I know what I am going to try next... that is I will stamp & laminate 5" x 7" cards (so if it fails I can easily convert them back to the DVD cases I use currently - plus I have a great box that fits these DVD cases in and can store the laminated sheets within the box.)
I found that the cello bags didn't work for me as the stamps 'dragged' on the cello bags and thereby ripped pretty quickly.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming in. I haven't time to make the changes for a week or 2 so I can keep my options open in case someone else has a bonza idea.;)

Last edited by madmichelle; 10-17-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I have an index system in an Excel file. I can sort on category, set, brand, etc. I also use plastic boxes that I LOVE! You can see complete details here along with photos of my Excel pages. Hope it helps.

Storage of larger Ums-storagebindersa.jpg Storage of larger Ums-samplepagea.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I ran into the same problem and switched to the snap lock cases that I buy from Unity. It can get pricey buying the insert folders so I've been laminating cardstock. Here is a sample from my stamproom redo.

I also had a problem that after awhile the cd case hinges start to break and now with these cases the problem is solved. You can put a lot of stamps in these cases.
I use the Scraponizer cases, too. Love them! Unity sells them 4 for $12 or something along those lines, so it's a good deal. And bets of all you can store stamps on BOTH sides of the case so it's like getting double storage. I love these things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Ums too big for CD cases

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
The only UMs I have that are too big for cd cases are the longer borders, unmounted wheels, and background stamps. I keep them all in an iris drawer unit. I just stack them up and unfortunately, forget what I have. I need to at least index them somewhere so I can see what I have at a glance.
That is why I started this thread. I am going to try the laminated index cards inside a nifty DVD storage case/box I have on hand. (And keep a paper copy as well for taking to craft shows etc). The scraponizer is too expensive to ship to Australia.) Also Unity has discontinued them but Gina K keeps similar binder cases. I think it was more expensive though)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I keep all my stamps in either CD cases or plastic DVD cases that look just like CD cases - not the traditional DVD cases. They're acrylic plastic and hinged just like the CD cases. I love them! I get mine here: http://www.shop.stampbystep.com/cate...?categoryId=95 I know some other people get them from CD/DVD case stores but I like supporting a small, scrapbooking company and I usually wait until she runs a sale, which is fairly often - a percent off or even sometimes free shipping.

I love the DVD cases because I can usually fit an unmounted wheel and the matching set in one case! Sometimes it's a tight fit (like with my Mixed Bouquet and the Bouquet wheel) and sometimes it isn't possible so I put the wheel in a separate DVD case right behind the set (Bodacious Bouquet and the Bodacious Wheel), but 9 times out of 10, the set and wheel fit together. It's great because then I remember that the set has a matching wheel and actually remember to use it and I like having them together - matching stuff with matching stuff and I like that my stamps are all kept in a uniform way. The only stamps I haven't UM are BG stamps that were already woodmounted. I suppose I could take them off, I just haven't done it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
I have an index system in an Excel file. I can sort on category, set, brand, etc. I also use plastic boxes that I LOVE! You can see complete details here along with photos of my Excel pages. Hope it helps.

Attachment 165077 Attachment 165078
You should definitely check out Patter's storage solution. I was quite happy with my CD cases, but it bothers me that some of my sets don't fit together. Once I saw her system, I was convinced that this is the best way to go. As soon as the clear cases go on sale, I plan on stocking up and sorting my sets by company. I'll still keep most of my sets together though, maybe one set to a page. I also like these cases for my nesties. I plan on lining the pages with magetic sheeting to store the nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Lightbulb

I store all my UMS in boxes. I have made a small Tutorial of my storing system. I love it and it not expensive at all... a BIG + It is easy to find and keep track of all the stamps.

http://bat3.nu/marie/?p=5768

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I am an organization/storage freak and am always looking for the *best* solution. Right now, hands down, THESE are my go-to for unmounted stamps. I use the "Thicker" for wood mounted that I want to store by manufacturer. You can fit a TON in each one and don't have to worry about losing the smaller ones. I don't have mine in magazine holders as Stampendous shows on their site, but some day I'll cutesie them up like that. ;) I have my CHF sets in the Gina K. binders, but they do take up quite a bit more space horizontally on my shelf. At the great price Scrapbooking Alley has, I may switch them over.

FYI, if my memory serves me right, laminating card stock may not be a good long-term for the cling-mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat3View Post
I store all my UMS in boxes. I have made a small Tutorial of my storing system. I love it and it not expensive at all... a BIG + It is easy to find and keep track of all the stamps. http://bat3.nu/marie/?p=5768
I took a look at your tutorial and the idea of folding the laminate to 'pocket' the stamp/s is a great idea. If the stamp does fall off at least it is still within the 'pocket'. I was already considering laminating my index sheet and sticking the larger ums on them. Thank you for your input.
I have tried to source DVD cases similar to the CD cases with the inserts and I just can not get them here in Australia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslierodView Post
You should definitely check out Patter's storage solution. I was quite happy with my CD cases, but it bothers me that some of my sets don't fit together. Once I saw her system, I was convinced that this is the best way to go. As soon as the clear cases go on sale, I plan on stocking up and sorting my sets by company. I'll still keep most of my sets together though, maybe one set to a page. I also like these cases for my nesties. I plan on lining the pages with magetic sheeting to store the nesties.
That's my plan too - holds more than one page and clear envelopes don't work for me either. I love the cases as you can either get A4 or A5 size, I was going for the larger but I might go for the smaller... decisions, decisions!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I use clear DVD jewel cases. They're just like the cd cases but bigger.. and no inserts. I get mine "fairly" inexpensively here: Surething. They're $8.95 for 10. That's the best price I've found them for. I only use them for my large stamps (like bg stamp size, or wheels). But for my sets that have too many stamps to fit in one CD case, I just put them in 2 CD cases and label them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. Works for me.

I prefer the clear cases because I stamp my image on the back of the cling foam before I adhere the stamp to it. This works for placement and makes a GREAT index. So the laminated chipboard panels wouldn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holicView Post
I am an organization/storage freak and am always looking for the *best* solution. Right now, hands down, THESE are my go-to for unmounted stamps. I use the "Thicker" for wood mounted that I want to store by manufacturer. You can fit a TON in each one and don't have to worry about losing the smaller ones. I don't have mine in magazine holders as Stampendous shows on their site, but some day I'll cutesie them up like that. ;) I have my CHF sets in the Gina K. binders, but they do take up quite a bit more space horizontally on my shelf. At the great price Scrapbooking Alley has, I may switch them over.

FYI, if my memory serves me right, laminating card stock may not be a good long-term for the cling-mount.
oh boy do I love these!!

{there are no mistakes in rubber stamping; only embellishment opportunities}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Subbing. I recently bought the Unity storage folders and signed up for their KOM club ... so I'll have lots of UMs coming my way Love the suggestion of stamping your index and laminating it and just adhering the UMs to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmichelleView Post
I love storing my ums in CD cases as I can flip through but what can I do with the stamps that are too big for CD cases? DVD cases don't have the smooth flat sides for the ums to stick on. Clear acrylic pages in folders I found broke too easily - this was my first storage attempt for all my ums but didn't suit my personality. Any suggestions from others who love the CD case storage.

I use White Plastic Storage boards. I use them for all of my unmounted rubber stamps.

I also place the Storage board inside a Clear presination Sleeve (which have 3 ring holes for putting in a notebook

I now have 4 3 ring zippered notebooks that hold all of my unmounted rubber stamps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holicView Post

I love those thin cases by Stampendous too!! They're awesome. I have 2 with nothing but bellas in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I accept with information:B put an "R" for Rubber stamp with or without the wood mount
D = Title of the Group (such as Stampin Up's)
E = How Many Stamps in the Group
F = Description of the group or main stamp
G = Size (i.e., 2"x2" if a group I don't bother)
H = Vendor
I = Item #
J = Cost
K, L, M etc = descriptions of each stamp in the set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

i went to a dollar tree store near my house and they had some file boxes, thin boxes almost like the green ones that target had., well this is working perfect for me. I starting using an excel worksheet and writing the number on the folders, so I know where the stamps is at.
love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

so what do you do with all the wood......I have got a ton of it...(well not quite a ton) but it sure takes up a LOT of space....I am soooo ready to do this...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy bitView Post
so what do you do with all the wood......I have got a ton of it...(well not quite a ton) but it sure takes up a LOT of space....I am soooo ready to do this...
please feel free to pm me. i might buy your woodblocks. let me know your price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslierodView Post
Hi, just thought I would let you know that I just went to the site for the cases and the large case is on sale for $1.07 each. It is only the black or white cases on sale, not the clear, but I happen to like the white ones better. Just wanted to pass the info along

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
I use clear DVD jewel cases. They're just like the cd cases but bigger.. and no inserts. I get mine "fairly" inexpensively here: Surething. They're $8.95 for 10. That's the best price I've found them for. I only use them for my large stamps (like bg stamp size, or wheels). But for my sets that have too many stamps to fit in one CD case, I just put them in 2 CD cases and label them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. Works for me.

I prefer the clear cases because I stamp my image on the back of the cling foam before I adhere the stamp to it. This works for placement and makes a GREAT index. So the laminated chipboard panels wouldn't work for me.
So do these have the dvd hub built into the case or is it removable like a cd case? I can't tell from the picture and there's nothing about it in the description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

i am wondering the same thing about the "surething" dvd cases - it looks like there is still a dvd hub in it. Is it empty/flat inside?
Marni - SCS #14788 and SU Demo
My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. Thornton Wilder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I found this company http://www.jewelboxing.com/ which sells the dvd cases with no "guts", no hub to get in the way......
they were super helpful and the cases are wonderful. I use them for my larger sets of acrylic stamps, I haven't gone to unmounting yet.
I did just get my first Hero Arts cling mount and am wondering how to clean and store it..... but thats another story.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Oh shoot! Sorry guys.. it has been awhile since I ordered any, and those aren't the same ones I used to order. The ones I ordered had nothing to hold the DVD inside at all. These definitely are different. Sorry to post bad information-- I should have double checked first. I just grabbed that link from my "favorites."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Oh shoot! Sorry guys.. it has been awhile since I ordered any, and those aren't the same ones I used to order. The ones I ordered had nothing to hold the DVD inside at all. These definitely are different. Sorry to post bad information-- I should have double checked first. I just grabbed that link from my "favorites."

I did find another one in my favorites that I have used too. It's a bit more expensive than the wrong link I gave you.. it's $12.70 for 10 -- or if you want to buy more, they're about $1 (50 for $50). It's cheaper than the ones SU sells, and I'm all for a deal as it leaves me more money to spend on stamps/paper/embellies etc. Sleevetown. Scroll 2/3 the way down the page. They're the "Super Jewel Box King DVD cases." Yes, they do have an insert, but it pops right out just like the CD cases do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I prefer the clear cases because I stamp my image on the back of the cling foam before I adhere the stamp to it. This works for placement and makes a GREAT index. So the laminated chipboard panels wouldn't work for me.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering what ink do you use to stamp on the cling?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm thinking that Stazon would be great for this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

That is what I thought too, but am now paranoid about cling foam since reading on another thread that it can break down. I have very little cling mounted stamps, but I want to be sure I care for them properly so they stay in good shape. My current cling mounted stamps are from Cornish Heritage Farms and B Line Designs. I wrote to CHF and B Line designs regarding storage in CD cases, which can also be a problem. CHF responded that as long as I keep them on the sheets which they came on, CD storage should be fine. I haven't heard from B Line yet. I like cling mounted stamps, but I am glad I went with the TackNPeel method.... so easy and no worries!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

I use StazOn to do this. I have done it this way for 3+ years.. and I store in clear CD or DVD cases. In all that time, I've never had a problem of the EZMount degrading or losing it's clinginess. Sometimes if the stamp has been used a lot, it won't be as clingy, but nothing wiping it off with a damp cloth can't fix.

My StazOn will sometimes leave an impression on the DVD/CD case, but that has never bothered me. Just makes it easier to know where to put the stamp back when I'm done. This is more a benefit for the larger sets that you really have to finagle to get them to all fit.

Last edited by MikiBee; 01-21-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: edited for grammar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
I use StazOn to do this. I have done it this way for 3+ years.. and I store in clear CD or DVD cases. In all that time, I've never had a problem of the EZMount degrading or losing it's clinginess. Sometimes if the stamp has been used a lot, it won't be as clingy, but nothing wiping it off with a damp cloth can't fix.

My StazOn will sometimes leave an impression on the DVD/CD case, but that has never bothered me. Just makes it easier to know where to put the stamp back when I'm done. This is more a benefit for the larger sets that you really have to finagle to get them to all fit.

So, if I am understanding this right...(and that could be HIGHLY improbable..hahaha) you stamp the image on the clingy side of the EZ mount stuff?? And it doesn't come off??? the EZ mount?

I have posted questions regarding what people do to umount their wooden stamps to use as clear stamps, etc..as I was stumped as how to attach the IMAGE to the back of the stamp so you can see it when using clear blocks for placement on your cards, scrapbook pages, etc...Stamp a Ma Jig was suggested (and I never thought of that), but dont always want to take the time to do that...just want to be able to use rubber stamp piece on a clear block, but be able to see what it is I'm stamping....

I have been trying to "cheap out" ?? and find a way to take the sticky foam off the back of the rubber stamp and than reapply the actual image (previously stuck down on the WOOD blocks) to the back of the NOW single piece of rubber...that way, no EZ mount necessary...right???

Thank God S-UP now has pre-cut CLEAR mount stamps that are all set to stamp!! Thinking I'm gonna just use these and leave my wood mounts "as is" on the blocks....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
I have been trying to "cheap out" ?? and find a way to take the sticky foam off the back of the rubber stamp and than reapply the actual image (previously stuck down on the WOOD blocks) to the back of the NOW single piece of rubber...that way, no EZ mount necessary...right???
That is exactly what I do with all of my SU stamps, and most of my other wood mounted stamps. I carefully peel the rubber and foam off of the block and then do the same with the sticker. I try to place the sticker as close as possible to the correct position, on the foam side and while not always perfectly exact, it works great for me... a very visual person. I stick my stamps on to an acrylic block covered with TackNPeel and it works almost as well as clear stamps, but with the advantage of being rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Oooops! I forgot to mention that I store my stamps in CD cases. This method of unmounting also avoids all of the problems I hear about EZ mount breaking down when stored in CD cases.
Reply With Quote Likes