Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Color Organization?

I am reorganizing my craft room and can't decide how to organize my SU inks and cs. Even though the colors have changed, I still think of colors in the "old" 4 families (bold brights, rich regals, earth elements and soft subtles). I plan to keep all of the colors that have retired and also have all of the previous In Colors. I'm trying to decide if I should group the new color families together and put the In Colors and retired colors separate or if I should just alphabetize everything......or put it all in rainbow order.....I'm not sure what would be best for me. Any thoughts? What works for you? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

It's a never ending conundrum. I ended up separating the current colors from the retired colors. I had tried to go rainbow, but ended up keeping both in their color families. I liked how the colors sat next to others that they worked well with. With non-SU product, I organize it in color wheel or rainbow type order, but for SU, I made the investment to have a nice variety of colors and am taking advantage of the color families the SU designers decided to group together. It's working well for me.

Let us know what you end up going with.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #3  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 410 Likes on 247 Posts

I have my old and new colors separated. I keep the colors together by family in both old and new. It is working for me now, but I still have a hard time with the new color families! I keep a list near by ink pads and my paper so that I can file them all correctly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently reorganized my inks and such. I decided to go by rainbow, so I have a stack of reds, blues, yellows, earth tones, etc. I think it looks really pretty. Since I am not a demo, I have no need to keep retired stuff separated, so it makes it easier. I also broke up most of my stamp sets, so I am no longer in the "SU" mind frame of grouping everything the way they did.

As long as you don't have thousands of pads, I say try it one way and if you don't like it, try it another. Play with it and see what works best for you; especially when you make a few cards or projects. Then you will really know based on how you come up with ideas and how much time it takes to find either the "right blue" or "night of navy" etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have everything in rainbow order with neutrals separate. I also mix in retired, current colors and other companies. I love all colors so the more the better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. If you don't have a ton, try it one way. If it doesn't click in a month or two, try the other. It should be what works for you!

I use the families. I went mostly SU because my color coordination sticks! If SU and other companies do it for me, I am happy to use it. But lots of people, demos and not, use rainbow because I think most artistic people "see" this way or learned this way.

Good luck!

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for rainbow - or colorwheel as I usually refer to it. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I think rainbow is the way to go too. If I want green then I go to the greens. I don't think in terms of colour families because once in a while I do get colours from other sources...Gasp!. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

I keep all my SU ink pads (old colors & new) together and I put them together with colors.... All purples go together, all reds go togther and then I stack them in the RGBIV order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Another vote for rainbow order. I too had everything memorized by family, but with the reorganization, this is working much better for me now. The retired ones are separated, but other than that, it's roygbiv, then neutral. I just can't keep memorizing everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies. For now, since I am a {*just* a hobby} demonstrator, I think I am going to keep the new SU families together (in case I decide to be "active" again) and group the retired colors in their families, too. I agree with Monika about "taking advantage of the color families the SU designers decided to group together." Like many of you have said, I can always change it if it's not working for me.

I'd like to hear how more of you have organized this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a hobby demo, and I keep my card stock and inks in alphabetical order — retired and current product together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I organize everything by color wheel order, then in alphabetical order within each color family. I also added a pink group, a black-gray group, and a brown tones group. I buy from both CTMH and SU. Within each color family, I place the SU cardstock first, then the CTMH cardstock. If I need a certain color, I want to be able to look at all the options for that color, so having them grouped that way works better for me than having that color divided into the color groupings that these companies have created.

For ink pads, my old style pads are mixed together, in color families and ABC order, because both sets of pads have the same style case. The newer CTMH and SU stamp pads are stacked in each of their own collections because of the style differences (using the same color order).

I also mix in my retired products with the new. I am not a demonstrator, so it works for me.

P.S. by color families I mean red, blues, etc. not bright, subtle, etc. that SU uses.

Last edited by lenora4kids; 09-28-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenora4kidsView Post
I organize everything by color wheel order, then in alphabetical order within each color family. I also added a pink group, a black-gray group, and a brown tones group. I buy from both CTMH and SU. Within each color family, I place the SU cardstock first, then the CTMH cardstock. If I need a certain color, I want to be able to look at all the options for that color, so having them grouped that way works better for me than having that color divided into the color groupings that these companies have created.

For ink pads, my old style pads are mixed together, in color families and ABC order, because both sets of pads have the same style case. The newer CTMH and SU stamp pads are stacked in each of their own collections because of the style differences (using the same color order).

I also mix in my retired products with the new. I am not a demonstrator, so it works for me.
I agree, I don't need to scrapbook, card make or do projects in the mind set of "Family Colors" if I need pink then I need pink and I want to see ALL my pinks... my mind works more "Color" than "Color Family"
All my retired inks are mixed with the new ones as well... for the same reason, I want all the purple to be grouped together so i can see what I have and what will work best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

oops - mistake

Last edited by lenora4kids; 09-28-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a SU demo and like to keep current separate from retired. I store everything in rainbow order. I have a space for all the current greens and right next to it are the retired and non-SU greens, etc. I store inks, paper, and markers the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I always used SU and always just put pinks together, reds together, purples, etc. I never got into the color families. Possibly because I always had a limited love of colors. Always had only 10/12 basics plus the neutrals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I have way too many to try and go ROYGBIV with everything. I have the old and new SU color separated. New are in color family. I have a each type of "contraband" (distress, kaleidoscope, stazon, chalk inks etc) in ROYGBIV order. The old SU colors are alphabetical because I know what all the names are. Disadvantage is that when new ones retire, everything has to shift to allow for the new colors. I may go back to putting them in color families just because they won't move then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I'm a former SU! Demo and my brain is "trained" to keep it all in the family. But, I've been away from stamping for a couple of years and am not up to date on the new colors/families, etc. I still have my storage tower and have tried to keep the colors within the family, but have a new set of spots, other brands of craft-type inks, StazOn, etc. SO....I think what I am leaning towards is arranging by brand or type of ink and then going rainbow within that. As for papers/card stock...ugh! Mine is a disaster. Once again, I think I am going to take all plain c.s and arrange rainbow-style. Patterns...not sure. I am have been storing those within their collection (if I buy a pack such as BasicGrey). If not, it's a free for all...lol. Not helpful at all!

Good luck!

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by essayonsView Post
I have way too many to try and go ROYGBIV with everything. I have the old and new SU color separated. New are in color family. I have a each type of "contraband" (distress, kaleidoscope, stazon, chalk inks etc) in ROYGBIV order. The old SU colors are alphabetical because I know what all the names are. Disadvantage is that when new ones retire, everything has to shift to allow for the new colors. I may go back to putting them in color families just because they won't move then.
I thought of that being a problem as well. But, it might not be too bad if one blue is replaced by another blue, for instance.
I have my papers in the 3 drawer stacks of sterlite containers. It's roygbiv order with 4 colors per drawer. Each color name is on a separate label on the front of the drawer. So, if a red replaces a red, it can still probably end up in the same drawer. My ink pads are in the same order as the paper, in one of those wooden racks on the wall. Again, the organization isn't bad for that.
I had the old color families completely memorized, but with things moving in and out now, it isn't worth my brain cells to keep memorizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

This post made me think. Shortly after posting, I went to put some discontinued ink pads away that I had stored by discontinued color family. Hmmm... it wasn't as easy and intuitive as it should have been. I store everything else in color wheel order starting with the brightest (yellow) and ending with neutrals. It's something that stuck with me from when I was a kid in Germany and before I realized I could store via ROYGBIV. It works for me.

So now I reorganized my discontinued inks and current inks in that same color wheel order. I'm going to give it a try at least. Thanks y'all for prompting me to give something different a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
I recently reorganized my inks and such. I decided to go by rainbow, so I have a stack of reds, blues, yellows, earth tones, etc. I think it looks really pretty. Since I am not a demo, I have no need to keep retired stuff separated, so it makes it easier. I also broke up most of my stamp sets, so I am no longer in the "SU" mind frame of grouping everything the way they did.

I have all my solid cardstock sorted by colors too. I think it is very pretty when I look at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

OI!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought of the old ROY G BIV thingy.. Right now my pads are in whatever.. wherever (well in the same area) and my paper at least is in alpha order.. But I am LOVING this idea.. UGH.. now I have to do some MORE organizing!!

Thanks .. thanks a lot :P

One question for all you that use the Sterlite thingys..

I have my paper in milk crates with labels say the color.. then I put a towel over top to keep the light from hitting it, I have found that sunlight.. room lighting.. etc.. has faded some of the papers.. How do you keep yours from fading using a see thru container?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
OI!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought of the old ROY G BIV thingy.. Right now my pads are in whatever.. wherever (well in the same area) and my paper at least is in alpha order.. But I am LOVING this idea.. UGH.. now I have to do some MORE organizing!!

Thanks .. thanks a lot :P

One question for all you that use the Sterlite thingys..

I have my paper in milk crates with labels say the color.. then I put a towel over top to keep the light from hitting it, I have found that sunlight.. room lighting.. etc.. has faded some of the papers.. How do you keep yours from fading using a see thru container?
Not a problem so far. The room is sunny, but the paper is across the room from the window. The fading issue is why I didn't want to do the open storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I have my craft room in a sunny dining room. I used to hang my wheels on a wooden thread holder. I have had some cardstock fade and some of the rubber on my stampin wheels change color from the sun. I keep the plastic covers on my plastic bins with hanging folders of cardstock and keep my wheels in the plastic containers we sold.
Reply With Quote Likes