Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you do with blocks and cases AFTER you unmount?

This might be a silly question, but what do you do with the wood blocks after you unmount your stamps? I mean, I think I want to unmount, but I can't help but wonder if I go ahead and unmount my stamps, what if I decide to sell a set?? I mean, not everyone prefers unmounted. So, is it crazy to want to hold on to the blocks, and cases for that matter just incase I decide I want to sell them later? Or, in an even worse case, decide I hate unmounted and I want to go back to wood?

If you can't tell I'm gun shy to actually unmount... In fact, the thought of unmounting is fine. It is the thought of throwing away all the blocks and cases that has me in a panic thinking about it. I'm interested in any insights!
TIA!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 347 Likes on 135 Posts

Subbing - good question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

In the past, I have thrown away the blocks. I don't that now; I offer them up here on SCS for the cost of shipping.

I keep the cases, though, and use them to store other things. I keep my ribbons separated by color in them as well as other embellies such as rhinestones, half-back pearls, or brads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I found a nonprofit organization to donate my wood blocks to - I am really excited about it - My goal was to save space, so hanging on to the wood blocks for me did not work, that would be just moving to a different space! This organization runs an art program for children and adults that uses recyled items donated from the community to run classes etc. They will use my blocks to do art projects with kids! I have not yet decided what to do with the boxes, I have used a few of them in my reorganizing, but I have a couple hundred still to figure out what to do with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I save the blocks in their cases stored in boxes in the top of a bedroom closet. I number each box and keep a list in case I want to sell. When I unmount I leave the cushion on the block and store it upside down in the case so I can remount without having to use additional adhesive. So far it has worked well. I am able to get 200+ or so sets in the top of the closet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

If I had a fireplace that burned wood I would use it as kindling, LOL. Since I don't, I have been contacting local kindergarden teachers to see if anyone can use the blocks. No takers yet, but I will kep trying.

I have kept all the clam shell boxes though - they are great for storage of other crafty things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had friends send me their wood mounts and my dh uses them to burn in his wood stove in the garage.

If you camp you can use them as fire starter.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a little scared when I started unmounting, but immediately figured out that I loved my stamps even more unmounted. Since my main reason was to save space, I never even considered keeping the blocks and cases.

The used blocks with the stickers and sticky foam residue on them, I just threw away. New blocks which had never been used, I offered up for trade in the BST forums - generally for the cost of postage only. I cut the lids off a lot of my large cases and use them to store my now-unmounted wheel stamps. I just stand the lids up in a pretty basket. I fit two jumbo or three small wheels per lid. I still had tons of cases left, and traded most of them away for the cost of postage as well.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I started unmounting mine this past weekend. The blocks are so sticky I can't image anyone using them for anything other than mounting stamps. I too am doing this to save space and although I would prefer to recycle, my urge to purge excess was greater and I'm just tossing the blocks. I'm keeping the clamshell cases for other organization needs and to give out to customers that might want them. It's amazing how much space you can save by unmounting! I got a bunch of old CD cases off of Craigslist for free and am storing my unmounted stamps in these. So far it is working out great! Note - I'm only unmounting the stamps that I don't use that often but am not ready to get rid of yet. I'm not to concerned about the "retail" side of things. I have sold my sets before and frankly just don't get that much for them anyway. Again, my need for space is greater than worrying about the few extra dollars I "might" get when I do decide to sell the stamps (although with the space I'm saving, I won't feel like I "have" to sell sets just to make room for more) :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have yet to venture into unmounting all my stamps..but every time I think about it I think I would turn my wooden blocks into blocks for my grandkids! I would love to paint numbers ; letters; or even stamp on them some fun images! If anyone wants to send me their blocks I would put them to use! lol

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

double post

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"

Last edited by willowby; 02-02-2010 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: double post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

dp

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"

Last edited by willowby; 02-02-2010 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: double post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

The empty cases are great for button storage, too. I like it because I can see my pretty buttons in there, and dig through them to get what I want. If I had blocks I never used, I gave them to my daughter for her dollhouse, for furniture. But sticky blocks went into the fire!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I burned my blocks. I use a home made Stamp-a-ma-jig from my kids Duplo blocks to position stamps. The cases are great for organizing my craft room and for sending gifts and cards that I don't want crushed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

The empty clams shells, I have given to a friend in Europe who said she could use them. I did keep about 6 medium sized ones for embossing powder (I hate trying to put it back into those little jars!). As for the wood blocks, after I unmounted, they were too sticky so I threw them away. The newer sets that I have bought (pre SU offering the option), I gave those clean wood blocks to a friend for her son to add to his play blocks.

Tiffy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

As a teacher, I know I would LOVE to receive them! I have taught Kindergarten thru grade 4 and there is always use for lots of product for art, science, and reading!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read somewhere that you can use the blocks for your foam pads in distress inks instead of buying extra handled ones from Tim and Rangers. I never use the handle anyway. You take your heavy duty staple gun and some velcro to the blocks...voila! I heard about the tip much too late so if anyone has 6-8 blocks they aren't gonna use....:-
Sherri
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Doris B (06-15-2023)
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

OH Please... Your Blocks can come and live with me... Please let me know... I would love to have them...

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I unmounted hundreds of stamps, and I sold the used cases and blocks on eBay. Yes, they do sell.

If you are worried about the stickiness, if you dust the blocks with a tiny bit of baby powder, they are no longer sticky.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default ok Faith, inquiring minds want to know....

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
OH Please... Your Blocks can come and live with me... Please let me know... I would love to have them...

Faith

So Faith, WHAT are you doing with the UM blocks? Just curious! And for those who are having trouble "getting rid of" UMs that nobody wants, I have seen the oddest things donated for community yard sales (my son was in the Marching Band and they had a huge yard sale twice a year as a fundraiser) so I would donate them to a school yard sale or something like that. One year I was working the yard sale and saw an entire box full of clean OJ concentrate lids (the round metal lids that you have to pry off to get the OJ out?) and thought, "WTH???" but later when I was checking people out at the cashier's line a lady came thru with that box so I asked what she was going to do with them....turns out she had a home daycare and helped the kids make a photo ornament with them for their parents each year at Christmas. What a great idea! And she got a big box FULL of lids for $1! So maybe home daycare providers could also use them? Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL...LOL Jan... some years ago I would of bought that box of lids also... I was a cub scout leader and taught the boys tin punching with a small hammer and nail... we made Christmas ornaments out of the lids. (I had everyone saving them for me) I had everyone saving old puzzle pieces also... we sprayed painted them and made picture frames... can you tell we made lots of crafts in my den???

Oh... the wood blocks... I like to sometimes mount the words and images separate and I don't like double mounting, I like to also cut some of my wheels up... so I am always in need of more blocks.... and of course, if I get asked by the scouts or teachers... I always love to be able to say... Hey, I got just what you are looking for.... lol..lol

So please send them my way if you can... I will put them to good use....

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I have been umounting my stamps and reading this post (what to do with those wooden blocks). So I boxed up what I had and took them to my work (retail) and wrote free on the box. I worked an 8 hour day, and by the time I was to leave, I checked on the "free box" and it was empty. You just never know who wants them and for what...but someone "needs" them for something.
As for the clam shells, I cut off the lid (top) and store the unmounted stamps on one side and the stamped image of the set on the other. I them use for storage and I recycle the rest...yes, my recycle center takes them YEAH!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I store my now unmounted sets in the lids of the clam shell boxes (I cut the lids off and threw the rest of the boxes in the recycling) and the blocks burn nicely in my wood stove.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

has anyone tried spinning them down with a lathe and using them to store ribbons on. Thought about doing that , but not sure if it would work??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

What a creative group here! I'm getting up the nerve to unmount, I think....thanks to all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

I gave mine to my granddaughter to use as building blocks. We have had a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

the blocks go to the preschool and the art department at our school takes the boxes....S

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have successfully used GooGone to remove the stickyness from blocks.
Of course these I do NOT give for kids to play with. I use them for other things.

SOmetimes a lil soap and water will also get rid of the stickyness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I use some of the boxes to store things but all the blocks get tossed if they're "dirty" and given away to a friend's children if they are unused. I don't know what her children do with them but keeping all that stuff defeats one of the main purposes of going unmounted! (though I honestly prefer using an acrylic block...I find it much easier to place the image where I want it)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

they sell on Ebay like hotcakes....both the blocks and the clamshells...the other day 6 clamshells sold for $11.99 plus shipping....I was in shock - since I have at least 100 of them..and the blocks...well I saw 8 blocks go for a little over $4.00 + shipping....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy bitView Post
they sell on Ebay like hotcakes....both the blocks and the clamshells...the other day 6 clamshells sold for $11.99 plus shipping....I was in shock - since I have at least 100 of them..and the blocks...well I saw 8 blocks go for a little over $4.00 + shipping....
Are the blocks still sticky when you sell them and if so, do the buyers mind?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

right now on ebay - there are 10 clamshell boxes with 15 bids on them - current bid is $28.00 with several hours to go....so that's where the majority of mine are going to be heading.....the blocks sell very well also....I only have about 10 sets that I ever mounted but I've heard that a bit of goo begone works well, or a very light sanding cleans them right up.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Default clam shell cases and wood blocks

Hi everyone,
I decided to cut down my clam shell cases, now that I have started going unmounted.
I cut the lid off from the bottom and then cut the bottom down until my unmounted stamps fit nicely with out being squished. I leave the bottom a little longer on one side which I fold over and use to attach to the lid. (this isn't a very good description but I have instructions if you are interested, just pm me.) So now I have thin cases to store my stamps in. This way I can keep them in their sets and not have to come up with a new storage system, but I still save a LOT of space.

As for my blocks... well the clean ones I am giving to the school to use how ever they want and the sticky ones I'm still trying to come up with a good idea for. I don't want something that will take a lot of extra work (keep me from my stamping time...no way!) but I don't want to see them go into the fire either. Keeping an eye on this thread to see any new ideas.

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Good Luck Amanda!

I even tried "for free" on craigs list and yahoo group free cycle, no takers, ended up tossing them in the trash.

Hugs,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm finding it's quite easy to remove the goo if I rub a little talcum powder onto the sticky stuff then scrape it off with a knife. Repeat a couple of times and virtually all the sticky will be gone (and the block smells nice ). If you want to stick something else to it then a good wipe or a light sanding should shift any remaining talc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I donated mine to a nursery school They were very appreciative..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2023, 06:17 AM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debilsView Post
I store my now unmounted sets in the lids of the clam shell boxes (I cut the lids off and threw the rest of the boxes in the recycling) and the blocks burn nicely in my wood stove.
I realize this is more than a decade ago, but somehow I never saw this (or don’t remember). I bought the cd cases that are like the SU cases, but they aren’t cheap if you have a lot to do. I might try your idea of cutting the lids off some cases.
As for the blocks, I give them to my sister, who has a fire pit.
Reply With Quote Likes