Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why my Mom deserves this Workbox

I felt this was a good opportunity to try and win something for my Mom. She’s always so giving, it would be a great thing to be able to win this for her.

My Mom & Dad divorced when I was in grd.10 – my Dad had been cheating. Instead of kicking him out, she decided to leave, and I went with her. My brother followed shortly after. So she needed to start all over again, and took care of my brother and I.
She even paid for part of my University courses, and made sure I finished school and earned my degree.

Mom has not had it easy the past few years. I moved out quite a few years ago, but my older brother has lived with her all of his life, up until this year. During this time, my Dad never helped with any expenses for him.
My brother has Asperger’s syndrome, OCD, and anxiety – and in the last few years his condition had gotten worse, coming to the point where he was unbearable to live with. On more than one occasion my Mom had to call the police b/c she was afraid he might turn violent.
He will be 40 this year, and back in April he ended up in the hospital because he hadn’t been taking his medication properly and he had a breakdown. It was decided then that he would move in with his girlfriend and her family, because the relationship between he & my Mom had deteriorated and they could just not live together any more.

While he was still at home, and not being able to hold a job, my Mom paid for bills and food and medication for my brother. She lives in an older home & owns an older car, and when emergency repairs came up, she needed to borrow money. So now she has a lot of debt. She is on a debt management program but lives cheque to cheque right now.

Mom also went through a period of depression and stress while my brother was at home. But now that he is gone…and I’m not there….I think she is also going through the “empty nest” period. She also suffers from sciatic pain and akylosing spondylitis. Not to mention she cannot absorb iron, and is seeing a hematologist to see what is going on there.

Last edited by joanned72; 10-08-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Mom has tried so hard to manage things. I sometimes get angry that she was put in this position because my father cheated on her. But she has been a trooper and has always tried to make the best of things. I am proud of her for that. And even though she had to start from scratch, as others who have posted have – she has managed to make herself a little space to do the things she enjoys. Is the space bigger than some other people have? Yes. (She doesn’t have to make cards on the kitchen table). But would this Workbox make a huge difference? MOST DEFINITELY! I think it would make her year!! I cannot tell you how this would change her life.

Mom LOVES her crafts. This is what gets her through some of the tough days. She knits, scrapbooks, makes cards and other homemade items. She was able to start her stamp & stamp pad collection, but most of her paper is scraps given to her by other people, or what she can find on sale. She usually can’t afford to buy people gifts, so she makes things and gives them away. She even gives away bundles of cards instead of selling them. She is a very giving person.

Mom does not have a computer, thus does not have access to the internet to be part of Splitcoast Stampers and be connected to such wonderful people who give advice, support, ideas and inspiration. I am submitting this entry on her behalf (and unbeknownst to her. (I took pictures while she was in the bathroom!!!) 

I believe she deserves this. She will be 60 next year, and has not had anything good happen to her for a long time. She deserves this, and she would love it.

Please consider her for this wonderful gift.

I will post pictures of her current space in another thread.

Thank you so much.

Jo-Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

These are some pictures of her craft room. It used to be my room when I lived there. (she probably crammed all this stuff in before so I wouldn't move back!)

She doesn't know I took these. So this is how it is all the time. She store things in the closet, under the table, on the table, etc. It doesn't leave her a lot of room to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Why my Mom deserves this Workbox-018.jpg   Why my Mom deserves this Workbox-016.jpg   Why my Mom deserves this Workbox-020.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Some more pics of her room.

If she had the Workbox, she could get rid of all these miscellaneous shelves and containers, that just make the room feel like it's closing in on you!
Attached Thumbnails
Why my Mom deserves this Workbox-017.jpg   Why my Mom deserves this Workbox-023.jpg   Why my Mom deserves this Workbox-024.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I do want to add, that even though she has a crowded room, she ATTEMPTS to keep it somewhat organized.

I could have taken all of her stuff and strewn it all about like I'm sure some ladies have... (tease tease) and it would look much worse! It's one thing not to have enough space to put things, it's another to be messy!!! THAT can be helped.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I like the title of your thread. I lost my mom to cancer 10 years ago. She was always proud of my crafting. I wish you the best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

What a nice thing you are trying to do for your mother, good luck!

Come visit my thread:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

This is my Mom and I on my wedding day; September 3, 2005

She had the outfit she is wearing made by a seamstress in our community. She looked so beautiful!!
Attached Thumbnails
Why my Mom deserves this Workbox-older-photos-153_0002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes