Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Well Kathy, a little goes a long way as I found out!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kathy, I plan in making my own plate in a couple of weeks (Vacation! Yeah!). Maybe we can share our experiences and help each other. I already have the gelatin and the glycerin, just need a nice tray to mount it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #43  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
Kathy, I plan in making my own plate in a couple of weeks (Vacation! Yeah!). Maybe we can share our experiences and help each other. I already have the gelatin and the glycerin, just need a nice tray to mount it.
Do you know which recipe you are using? I've seen a couple. I want it to last and the ones with water say they are only good for three months. I need a tray too. I'm making mine about 6x6.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #44  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
So I've decided to try and make my own gelli plate. I've watched a couple of tutorials BT which recipe would you recommend? I would like one that would last and one video says it is only good for three months. Also, what type of acrylic paints do you use? I have some water based acryilics but no sure thatnis what they are using. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.
Be warned - they smell SO bad when you're making them - that gelatin literally made me gag until it was set. However, if you can make it through that, you'll be fine. I used the water one - you can melt them down and start over if they get pitted. I would follow Linda Germain's advice - Linda Germain | Home - she's done it all - that's who I took a workshop from.

My favorite acrylics are Golden Open acrylics, but regular craft store liquid acrylic works fine too - Delta and the like. You can see the difference in my tutorial.

Mostly the difference is transparency and vividness of color:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lH2LaPpMvkQ?list=UUjPsDt6Opmm1r2OGrboVojg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #45  
Proud Fan Club Member

You make it looks so easy! Do you know how many packets of the gelatin I will need to equal the 12 TBSP?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #46  

Quote:

You make it looks so easy! Do you know how many packets of the gelatin I will need to equal the 12 TBSP?
It's four boxes of gelatin per 10x13 cheapo dollar store cookie sheet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #47  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks. I will give it a try. Maybe tomorrow. Tired today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kathy, my tray is much big, 13 x 9 in, inside space.

I am going to try this recipe:
Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz: How to make a Gelli Plate or Jelly pad? + WOYWW4

I am not sure if I am going to use the sugar in the recipe. I wanted to add some kind of bread preservative that you get in bakery products stores, but than I thought I could replace the water with an isotonic drink (which has lots of preservatives). I will make a pre-test to see if the gelatin hardens in this solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

The frugal crafter uses 1 1/2c water, 1 c of alcohol and a half c of glycerin. I wonder if that recipe would last longer, although I worry about the smell of alcohol if I am to store it in the fridge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #50  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just checked Lindsay's (the frugal crafter) site and she's changed her recipe to 7 packets gelatin, 1 1/2 c glycerin and 1. 1/2 c boiling water! She says it doesn't need refrigerated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone!

Sorry for butting in, especially since I have not posted anything at Splitcoast for years, probably. I happened upon this topic today, however. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and videos and give some information about making your own gelatin plate.

I made gelatin plate using gelatin and glycerin. It is permanent and does not need to be refrigerated. The basic recipe is 7 packets of plain gelatin (such as Knox), 1-1/2 cups of glycerin and 1-1/2 cups of boiling water. Mix everything together thoroughly and pour into your mold. Leave the mold on a flat surface and let it set. I used an old 8x8 baking pan that I had no plans to use for cooking again. I found the glycerin at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy area. You can usually find plain gelatin near the tapioca and boxed Jell-O at the supermarket. So far, the gelatin plate has held up very well, and I've had it out at room temperature for a few months.

I haven't used my plate much because I've not been doing much creative stuff lately, but the plate does work well. I don't know how it compares to the Gelli Arts plate, but I imagine you could use some of the same techniques. Since I've used mostly cheap craft paints that I've had for a while, I have found that adding a little Golden glazing liquid makes it a little easier to roll out the paint and get multiple prints before the paint dries. I roll the glazing liquid onto the plate before adding paint. I just happened to have a bottle of glazing liquid in my stash.

As an alternative to using the glazing liquid, you could use Golden Open Acrylics, Golden Fluid Acrylics, and possibly the new Golden High Flow paints. Also, some brands of craft paints are more liquid than others, so you may want to try different brands of cheaper paints rather than spending a lot of money on Golden brand.

Here is the link to the YouTube video with the recipe for making a permanent gelatin plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9taUh073vQ

The recipe is in the notes for the video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member

Good news! My SCS BFF ordered me a gelli plate so I should be creating next week! I've already started cutting paper and getting it ready to create fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #53  

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHoosierView Post
Hi, everyone!

Sorry for butting in, especially since I have not posted anything at Splitcoast for years, probably. I happened upon this topic today, however. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and videos and give some information about making your own gelatin plate.

I made gelatin plate using gelatin and glycerin. It is permanent and does not need to be refrigerated. The basic recipe is 7 packets of plain gelatin (such as Knox), 1-1/2 cups of glycerin and 1-1/2 cups of boiling water. Mix everything together thoroughly and pour into your mold. Leave the mold on a flat surface and let it set. I used an old 8x8 baking pan that I had no plans to use for cooking again. I found the glycerin at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy area. You can usually find plain gelatin near the tapioca and boxed Jell-O at the supermarket. So far, the gelatin plate has held up very well, and I've had it out at room temperature for a few months.

I haven't used my plate much because I've not been doing much creative stuff lately, but the plate does work well. I don't know how it compares to the Gelli Arts plate, but I imagine you could use some of the same techniques. Since I've used mostly cheap craft paints that I've had for a while, I have found that adding a little Golden glazing liquid makes it a little easier to roll out the paint and get multiple prints before the paint dries. I roll the glazing liquid onto the plate before adding paint. I just happened to have a bottle of glazing liquid in my stash.

As an alternative to using the glazing liquid, you could use Golden Open Acrylics, Golden Fluid Acrylics, and possibly the new Golden High Flow paints. Also, some brands of craft paints are more liquid than others, so you may want to try different brands of cheaper paints rather than spending a lot of money on Golden brand.

Here is the link to the YouTube video with the recipe for making a permanent gelatin plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9taUh073vQ

The recipe is in the notes for the video.
Happy to see you back!!

And OMGOSH - I ALMOST went to Jerry's today - I took an India Ink painting class and was so tempted, but too tired. Now you've inspired me to go tomorrow - I had no clue that glazing medium would help with that - thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #54  

Quote:

Good news! My SCS BFF ordered me a gelli plate so I should be creating next week! I've already started cutting paper and getting it ready to create fun!

What a sweet friend! I'm so happy for you!

We used some amazing paper in my painting class today that I KNOW would be dreamy for gel printing. Sadly she got it from a friend and didn't know the brand - but it had a beautiful, velvety finish on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #55  
Proud Fan Club Member

Gives me time to pick up some of the golden open acrylics.Ive cut some stencils And gathering other fun stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great Kathy, look forward to seeing some of your creations.
I had a slight malfunction yesterday, I was using distress paints on my plate, it wouldn't come out so I squeezed a little too hard, the top shot across the room along with half a bottle of broken china paint, my dress was covered along with the floor, drawers, well everything really, The rest of the bottle was on the plate, I managed to make about six BG pieces after I finished laughing, and cleaning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #57  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan31View Post
Great Kathy, look forward to seeing some of your creations.
I had a slight malfunction yesterday, I was using distress paints on my plate, it wouldn't come out so I squeezed a little too hard, the top shot across the room along with half a bottle of broken china paint, my dress was covered along with the floor, drawers, well everything really, The rest of the bottle was on the plate, I managed to make about six BG pieces after I finished laughing, and cleaning!
Glad you could laugh about it Jan, and hopefully it was a water based acrylics so it was easy to wash up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:25 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes it was Kathy but the grouting between the tiles is still blue, I need to bleach it I think.
Unfortunately it didn't come out of my dress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #59  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'll try to remember to squeeze the tubes lighter when I begin to create!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks, Lydia! I'm glad to be back. This is a great forum, and I'm really sorry I was away for so long. I just haven't been making cards very much. I started making cards back in the '90s using leaves to make prints. Now that the trees have leafed out in Indiana, I'd love to see how leaves would work as masks on the gelatin plate and/or use them to print on some gelatin print backgrounds.

By the way, I didn't come up with the glazing liquid idea. I saw it on a YouTube video, possibly one from JennieBellie. I just happened to have some in my stash, so I have used the glazing liquid with some of the thicker craft paints. It really does help with spreading the paint into an even layer.

Looking forward to reading about everyone's gelatin printing adventures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #61  

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHoosierView Post
Thanks, Lydia! I'm glad to be back. This is a great forum, and I'm really sorry I was away for so long. I just haven't been making cards very much. I started making cards back in the '90s using leaves to make prints. Now that the trees have leafed out in Indiana, I'd love to see how leaves would work as masks on the gelatin plate and/or use them to print on some gelatin print backgrounds.

By the way, I didn't come up with the glazing liquid idea. I saw it on a YouTube video, possibly one from JennieBellie. I just happened to have some in my stash, so I have used the glazing liquid with some of the thicker craft paints. It really does help with spreading the paint into an even layer.

Looking forward to reading about everyone's gelatin printing adventures.
leaves are LOVELY on the gelli plate - so are feathers!! Especially when you roll paint, put the leaf down, press your paper on, life the paper just enough to remove the leaf / feather, and then press the paper again and life - it looks like an x-ray! Try it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #62  

haha that was a lot of exclamation points - sorry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #63  
Proud Fan Club Member

I will try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
leaves are LOVELY on the gelli plate - so are feathers!! Especially when you roll paint, put the leaf down, press your paper on, life the paper just enough to remove the leaf / feather, and then press the paper again and life - it looks like an x-ray! Try it!!
Thanks! I will have to try that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #65  
Proud Fan Club Member

does anyone know if this is the glazing liquid I need
Attached Thumbnails
Gelatin or Gelli Plate Ideas-img_20140602_115846_441-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

does anyone know if this is the glazing liquid I need
Hi, Kathy/muscrat. The glazing liquid I mentioned was Golden's Acrylic Glazing liquid, which comes in a tall bottle with a screw nozzle sort of like a Plochman's mustard container. That's probably clear as mud, but here's a link to the product I referenced:

Robot Check

I'm not familiar with the Daler-Rowney product, so I don't know how well it might work. I think any acrylic gel or liquid medium mixed with your paint will give you some more open time, that is keep your paint wet a little longer so you can roll it out easily and print. Keep in mind that you don't have to have acrylic glazing liquid or acrylic gel medium to use your gelatin plate. I just had some older, thicker craft paints that were not rolling out easily on my homemade gelatin plate. I found the glazing medium helped them to roll out better.

Rather than buy the glazing liquid or gel medium, you might do better just to look for paints that roll out easily and/or to not use old paint. In other words, don't be like me. I just happened to have some of the glazing liquid on hand. It's pretty expensive, so I would not have bought it solely for making gelatin prints. It is much cheaper just to buy newer craft paints.

I think you would get good results with Golden Open acrylics, Golden Fluid acrylics, and Golden High-Flow acrylics. I have used Golden's Fluid acrylics, and they do work well without the need for the glazing liquid.

While I have not personally used this brand, I know that some people have had good results with the Liquitex Basics acrylics that come in tubes.
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer used those in an online class on Gelli prints.

Also, certain brands and even colors of craft paints are more liquid than others. Delta seems to work pretty well for me, and I've seen people using the Americana and Apple Barrrel brands in YouTube videos. Lydia/Understand Blue used Apple Barrel in her video that's posted upthread.

The Gelli Arts people use a lot of different types of paints in their videos, including heavy-bodied paints. I think any acrylic paint that is new(ish) and not drying out should work fine for you. Sorry for the long answer.

Last edited by StampinHoosier; 06-02-2014 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #67  
Proud Fan Club Member

thanks for your response. I just saw this at Walmart and wondered if it would work. But I think I may wait and get the the open acrylics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #68  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm also going to wait and see how my acrylics work before I buy anything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I'm also going to wait and see how my acrylics work before I buy anything
Good idea. The acrylic paints you have on hand will probably work fine.

I wish you well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #70  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3,028 Likes on 1,532 Posts
Default My prints

Here is what my second time at making prints look like. I watched Lydia's tutorial as I did them. Is this what they should look like. I am not as creative as some. :( But think I can do things to these and use them.
This is just some of them drying. I think the others, I might put more one them next time, like Lydia said. Just keep layering.

Gelatin or Gelli Plate Ideas-img_1543.jpg

So does it look like I am on the right track? They sure don't look like Lydia's.

VSBN24 National Scrapbook Day - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #71  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think you're doing great! My plate should come soon! Can't wait to try it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Those are great, smadson. I especially like the one in the lower left. It looks like there is no border around it, but that's not why I like it. The colors are really pretty. What sort of paints did you use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #73  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Just Folkart acrylic from Michels. Got a bunch when it was on sale. Then I have a bottle of Golden Open acrylic medium (matte) that I put on the plate first. I think that is supposed to keep my other paint wetter.???That way I don't have to use the expensive Golden colors. Does that make since. I went to a demo, and they suggested that.
That one in the lower left is the wipe up one. LOL I rolled all the extra out and put that paper on it. I used it all up on that one!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
Just Folkart acrylic from Michels. Got a bunch when it was on sale. Then I have a bottle of Golden Open acrylic medium (matte) that I put on the plate first. I think that is supposed to keep my other paint wetter.???That way I don't have to use the expensive Golden colors. Does that make since. I went to a demo, and they suggested that.
That one in the lower left is the wipe up one. LOL I rolled all the extra out and put that paper on it. I used it all up on that one!
Yes, it does make sense. I've found that Folk Art paints seem to be thicker than other craft paints, although that may not be true of all varieties of the Folk Art brand. I've had to use Golden's Glazing Liquid to loosen them up a bit. My Folk Art paints were also old, so I'm sure that had something to do with their resistance to being rolled out. Delta and Golden Fluid acrylics seem to work okay without use of glazing liquid.

Your wipe up sheet is gorgeous! I think the Plan B, ghost prints, and wipe up gelatin prints can be prettier and more interesting than the planned prints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sharon they are great, they will make lovely BG's, I keep mine if they are half decent and then add more colour etc when I decide what to do with them or die cut them, I'll need another drawer soon for all my gelli prints, lLOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #76  
Mad Swapper

Location: Out in the deep marsh in the middle of nowhere - well ok, Canada

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
So does it look like I am on the right track? They sure don't look like Lydia's.
I think they look great...love the colours!

Gerri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #77  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you everyone! Makes me feel good. Now to figure out what to do with them. Are any of you doing VSN this week-end? Starts tomorrow at 6:;00 pm EST! 12 challenges!

VSN

check it out. It is always fun! Might see some of my backgrounds on some of the cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #78  
Proud Fan Club Member

My gelli plate has shipped! Woohoo....I'll be playing in no time!

Last edited by muscrat; 06-05-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #79  
Proud Fan Club Member

Gelli plate has arrived! Played a little. Need a few stencils. I plan to make stuff to use because I don't want to invest more money for crafting! I am sure I can find all kinds of texture creating items!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Gelli plate has arrived! Played a little. Need a few stencils. I plan to make stuff to use because I don't want to invest more money for crafting! I am sure I can find all kinds of texture creating items!
Don't forget, you can use die cuts, the paper you cut for shapes. Not the dies themselves, but what you cut out with them or punched shapes. I think I could put the waxed paper cut on there. You know how with some intricate dies you use wax paper? Then I don't want to throw that wax paper shape away! LOL
Use it on the gel print! I haven't tried that yet! Show us you play prints.

Reply With Quote Likes