Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #81  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Woohoo!! I received my replacement MISTI and am so thrilled with the customer service and response time!!

I sent my MISTI back on 8/13 with a prepaid postage label and received my replacement yesterday! Yes, I did need to send photos of the cracking issues, but as someone else stated, this is normal practice for manufacturers.

I love my MISTI and missed it so much!! Even if it had not been replaced, to me, this product is a "Must Have" as Lydia noted...once you use it, you wonder how you ever stamped without it!! Thanks, Iliana for creating such a wonderful tool!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #82  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had cracks in mine within the warranty period, sent photos, and received a replacement very quickly. I will have to say that although my first one has cracks on three edges, more than a year later I am still using it and saving the replacement for down the line. The cracks have grown a little and I try not to put big pressure on the edges. If you went beyond the warranty and have cracks it will probably still be fully usable for a long time. I have saved so much cardstock, ink, and frustration. I say if you are on the fence about buying or cautious about using it just go for it. It's the best stamp hobby money I have ever spent and I think the issue on the new ones is ironed out now anyway.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

Chiming in to say that I have small cracks along one edge and my daughter managed to "appear" a crack about 2" in from one side and 3" up from the bottom edge and I DON'T CARE!!! I have used/abused my sweet MISTI every which way you can, rarely clean the poor thing (using NOVUS cleaner, though - I do try), and if I manage to finally do her in, she will be replaced before you can say "Stamp-a-ma-jig"!

I haven't been this head over for an addition to my stamping room since Dianne (fionna51) enabled me into a laminator (and I was pretty gaga over that, let me tell you!) I'm all about workhorses, and MISTI is one. Worth three times the price, at least! Having said that, I will also say that I know we all need to be sensible about where we spend our hard-earned, precious dollars. I was able to afford MISTI when I got her, but would have to save up a bit if I had to replace her now. So very sad, just thinking that that could happen...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #84  
Crimping Master

I saw at least 3 different Misti hacks on YouTube this morning. If money is an issue, you can make your own Misti. Just search on DIY Misti Stamp Tool and watch what other people have done to create one. You probably already have what you need at home.

It's not going to be as good as a Misti, or as sturdy..., but very close. You might find that after using your Misti hack, it is worth the money to buy one. Or once you get your own hack going and use it enough, you will stay with that option.

Either way, try it. It will save you $$ by being able to re-stamp your images accurately over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #85  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that mean if I purchase one from her right now, it will NOT be defective and I can have a peace of mind?

I am debating whether I should purchase a unused (second hand) MISTI from a friend for $50 shipped or just go ahead to purchase a new one (with extra shipping and tax to IL)... your thought?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #86  

Angelmama350, I just got my replacement. Apparently the ones made earlier this year were hand cut improperly causing stress fractures. I've had my replacement now for a month with no sign of any fractures. I would highly recommend you get a new one from Iliana. My first one arrived with those fractures so I inspected this one carefully. It's perfect. If you purchase one that was manufactured before February of this year, you may be so disappointed watching those cracks grow with or without use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #87  
Cardstock Collector

I am throwing my 2 cents in, I as well have a Misti, and live in Canada! My friend bought it for me for my birthday! I love it use it all the time, just recently noticed the cracks. I contacted Iliana and she responded back right away, asked me a few questions and asked me to send her a couple of pictures. Due to where I live it is not cost effective for her to have me send it back and is shipping out my replacement. I cannot complain what so ever about the service I received. It was painless. I would not hesitate in buying another one! It has made my crafting a way better experience. I have now bought large stamps knowing I don't have to worry about having the right block! It is well worth the investment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #88  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Ladies! I was wondering if you know if the edges of the acrylic look like they've gone through a sawmill-circular looking ridges, is it an affected defective batch? Or is it the newer design that should spare from cracking?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #89  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelmama350View Post
Thanks Ladies! I was wondering if you know if the edges of the acrylic look like they've gone through a sawmill-circular looking ridges, is it an affected defective batch? Or is it the newer design that should spare from cracking?
That's the new edge

The flame polish - smooth, shiny edge - is the process that can cause acrylic to craze.

(Other things can too, chemicals etc.) - but those were the ones that had a small % of error rates that caused them to craze.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #90  
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE not having to drag out a block to fit the stamp! I never worry anymore about having the right block. This passed week I made a lot of thank-you cards and the stamp was tiny but long. It was such a snap to position the stamp where it wasn't crocked and they all turned out beautifully...it was thank you notes to those who sent flowers to my MIL's funneral. They HAD to be perfect, ya know? Misti made it a breeze.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I saw at least 3 different Misti hacks on YouTube this morning. If money is an issue, you can make your own Misti. Just search on DIY Misti Stamp Tool and watch what other people have done to create one. You probably already have what you need at home.

It's not going to be as good as a Misti, or as sturdy..., but very close. You might find that after using your Misti hack, it is worth the money to buy one. Or once you get your own hack going and use it enough, you will stay with that option.

Either way, try it. It will save you $$ by being able to re-stamp your images accurately over and over.
I understand that not everyone can afford this tool. I don't even have one myself. However, I personally think this forum (which this sponsor is paying to have) is not the appropriate place to suggest a "DIY" version. Just my $.02.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

so..I'm almost afraid to ask this but I will ask anyway. At the pre-convention retreat that Lydia put on this year, I was one of the VERY lucky attendees who WON (yes....me!!) a free Misti. So now I am wondering, Lydia....do you know if the Misti prizes were before or after the defect problem? Mine is still in perfect condition since it hasn't been out of the box (yet! that's going to change soon after being reminded of the virtures of the Misti...yes, soon! really!) but now I am a little bit afraid to try it. Maybe I'll go look at the sides???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 11:22 PM   #93  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I have counted to 100 before I replied..................use it, enjoy it.

Trust me, you will love it so much that IF it is one of the 1% of the very early MISTI's that had a fault, you will happily PAY for a replacement.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 AM   #94  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Trust me, not everyone would be happy or be able to pay for a new one if theirs is one of the 1% (btw it seems like I'm reading about a lot of them for it to only be 1%).
My apologise Gale, I did not mean to imply that everyone could pay for one. I was trying to convey that once you have had a MISTI, you couldn't imagine stamping without it

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 AM   #95  

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkerzawayView Post
so..I'm almost afraid to ask this but I will ask anyway. At the pre-convention retreat that Lydia put on this year, I was one of the VERY lucky attendees who WON (yes....me!!) a free Misti. So now I am wondering, Lydia....do you know if the Misti prizes were before or after the defect problem? Mine is still in perfect condition since it hasn't been out of the box (yet! that's going to change soon after being reminded of the virtures of the Misti...yes, soon! really!) but now I am a little bit afraid to try it. Maybe I'll go look at the sides???
I don't know - but don't be afraid! My MISTI was one of the early ones, it crazed, it was replaced - and I'm still using the original many times per day - teeny cracks & all. If it ever breaks, I'll switch to my other one.

It's absolutely the best $50 I've ever spent. If I had to buy a new one every year, I'd do it.

Except for my bone folder and my paper cutter (I have the SU one that cost $30), it's the only tool I've ever used every time I stamp. And for the price of 8 Copic markers - that's a pretty good ROI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #96  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to have a MISTI. Getting a perfectly stamped image every time is something most of us could only dream of. But I'm holding out on buying one until I see how the newer batch holds up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
If I had to buy a new one every year, I'd do it.
Yes, many people feel this way. I agree that it is a brilliant concept, a marvelous design -- one that is and will continue to make its mark in the craft stamping industry. If you make your purchase with the understanding that it is a disposable tool (like a cutting blade or a pen that runs out of ink) then you won't be disappointed.

But I think the issue many others are having is that they plunked down $50 and they feel that for that kind of money it should not be considered disposable. After all, it does not have a motor, electronics or even gears. It's simply a wood (or chipboard?) box with a hinged plastic lid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my MISTI! I bought it in May and have used it almost constantly--including at my stamp clubs and events, and at a shoebox swap--and it still looks like new! If it breaks at some point, I would buy another one without even second thoughts. Hinges do break, eventually, of course. It's a fabulous tool and I love mine! I'm doing about 3 or 4 times as much stamping as I was 6 months ago, and it's all because of my MISTI!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #98  

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I would love to have a MISTI. Getting a perfectly stamped image every time is something most of us could only dream of. But I'm holding out on buying one until I see how the newer batch holds up.
Play in the Hope You Can Cling To challenges - you might win one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #99  

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
But I think the issue many others are having is that they plunked down $50 and they feel that for that kind of money it should not be considered disposable. After all, it does not have a motor, electronics or even gears. It's simply a wood (or chipboard?) box with a hinged plastic lid.
It's acrylic and it's not even close to disposable

It is a durable good like a bone folder, a Big Shot, a Scor-Buddy etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #100  
Cardstock Collector

I saw one YouTube class where the lady was reccomending using the shims. She had not had any trouble with hers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #101  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 143 Likes on 94 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Where do you live Kia? I have a friend that comes over a lot from Vancouver - maybe we could have her pick one up for you if you are westerly...
See what happens when life gets in the way?? Nothing like answering 2 months after the fact .... I annoy myself!

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts Lydia, I live in Southern Ontario - 3000 miles from Vancouver - I only know that because I used to live in Vancouver, wish I still did!

You are so kind .... thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 03:53 AM   #102  
Glitter Queen

The MISTI is certainly intriguing and I know people love their MISTI, but I could never see myself shelling out $50 for such a gadget, even if it had no issues.

I felt the same way you did for the last year. "Too expensive for another gadget". I even attempted to make one out of a DVD case. (It works fine but is smaller and locks each time I stamp). I showed some videos to my man fella who can make or fix anything. I showed him one a friend had hoping he could create one cheaper. He ended up buying me the most recent one for an early Christmas gift because he figured the coast would be the same.

I look at it as a tool. Once I have it I use it over and over and not have to buy another. It helps me use my stamps and dies in new ways so I'm getting more out of my supplies.

I have the fiskers stamp press and never really got the hang of it if you wanted to make more than one card the same.

The MISTI is not for everyone. What tool is? But I definitely suggest using one so you can see if it's for you.

Melissa the long winded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #103  

I absolutely love mine and ordered a second one (one that I can keep set up for rubber cling stamps and the other for clear photopolymer stamps).

Yes, $60-$70 seems high for a stamping tool (with add'l magnets, shipping & tax here in the US) but if you use it almost every time you stamp and it makes life easier for multiple cards, you will receive the return on investment very quickly.

I know in my area, $60 is about the price of my hubby and I dining out once or twice (so I have been cooking at home more :-))

Love my MISTI!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #104  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

DH watched me tidy up my craft desk last night and asked why I put MISTI in my "fire-ready" bag at the back door. I looked at him like he had 2 heads......did he seriously think I was going to leave MISTI behind. Oh, I should have mentioned bushfire season is just around the corner.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #105  

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie australiaView Post
DH watched me tidy up my craft desk last night and asked why I put MISTI in my "fire-ready" bag at the back door. I looked at him like he had 2 heads......did he seriously think I was going to leave MISTI behind. Oh, I should have mentioned bushfire season is just around the corner.
Oh Susie, lol, they just do not understand! On a more serious note, we will be praying that you do not need to exit with that "fire-ready" bag! Hugs, my friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #106  
Crimping Master

Oh how funny. I get that. Very smart I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #107  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

That is awesome!

Note to self - pack MISTI in go bag!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 05:03 AM   #108  
Glitter Queen

I have recently found out about this product. I have been reading/absorbing all of the information on it and really want one, flaws and all. Sounds like a great product...now I know what I want for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #109  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I think Santa is going to be very busy this Christmas, I happen to know he is bringing some to Australia. Elizabeth you are going to love MISTI!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #110  

Quote:

I think Santa is going to be very busy this Christmas, I happen to know he is bringing some to Australia. Elizabeth you are going to love MISTI!!!
And United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, India, Indonesia, Japan, and Canada........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #111  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySweetPetuniaView Post
And United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, India, Indonesia, Japan, and Canada........
You get my vote for International Woman of the Year :p

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #112  
Cardstock Collector

This is an interesting thread since I have a MISTI that cracked. I did contact the company by email because I couldn't remember exactly when I ordered mine. I only asked if they had a record of when I bought it because it had cracked and I didn't know if it was under warranty still. Sorry, but I did not have a pleasant exchange with My Petunia. I was told that kind of crack only happened in shipping, I should have checked it when I received it, I obviously had no trouble using it, etc. I explained I checked it when I received out and there was no crack, I keep it in a padded bag, only use the recommended cleaner, and was just trying to ask when I ordered it so I would know if it was under warranty. There was no mention at all that some of these could have had a manufacturing flaw. I even let a couple of my friends read the emails from My Petunia too make sure I wasn't being overly sensitive to them and they felt the emails were not necessary. I finally did get an answer that mine would be out of the warranty which was the only thing I was trying to find out. The whole thing was very disappointing and frustrating. In the back of my mind I was thinking maybe I could pay for a repair or order a new bottom plate and fix it since I am concerned that using that corner might show up on a stamped image. So far, it still works fine and I use it but I do tend to avoid that corner. I have a hard time recommending the tool because of my experience but if someone asks I do tell them it's a great tool! Maybe in the future I'll get another one if needed, and I hope it stays successful so I have the option of buying another one if I choose to. It really is a great tool! Makes things so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Cracked Lid!!!

Just want to add my experience to the pot!!
I live in the UK so with shipping and import duties I spent near on $100. I took the plunge in early March and within days of placing my order I started picking up chatter about the lids cracking. Then this thread started and I was even more worried about mine. From the beginning I treated it with kid gloves stored it in a padded bag only used it on 'difficult' cards and kept my fingers crossed, not really using it to its full potential. But in November cracks appeared - I was so disappointed, I had hoped against hope that mine hadn't come from what was now known to be a faulty batch. Knowing that I had well and truly passed the 90 days warranty I wasn't very hopeful of anything but on 17th November I contacted Iliana, she responded straight away and after sending her photos on 18th November a replacement was shipped to me on 19th November. I didn't have to return my cracked one and my new MISTI arrived this week ... now that is what I call Customer Service ..... I cannot fault Sweet Petunia in anyway as my original MISTI was purchased 8 months ago. I know some of you have not had the same experience as me but I can only speak as I find.
This really is an amazing tool and I am so delighted that I now have one that I can use everyday and not worry ...
Sorry this is a bit long but just wanted to put on record my experience :p

Fan Club Member
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #114  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I recently had the same amazing Customer Service as you did Chris. I can't speak more highly of Iliana and we all know how much I love my MISTI.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #115  

Quote:

I wonder why some are required to send them back and some aren't. And some had to pay to send them back (I did not but at first I was told I would have to).
It's pretty simple, really.

Well, nothing is simple when you're a small business, so that's not true

Believe it or not - not everyone has a cell phone - not everyone can send a picture, which is necessary to determine manufacturing defects.

Also, manufacturers require returns in order for us to get credit for defects. If I had a huge company and unlimited money I could survive without the credit, but I'm not, so I do file for those, along with shipping claims, etc.

Hope you are enjoying your replacement - glad we could take care of you!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #116  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi everyone

I just recently bought a MISTI, one of the new ones I believe made on a factory. It has the etched lid that doesn't have any color on the grid lines on the lid. i have read some of the comments on this thread, and I would like to ask if all of you that have experienced cracking, has the older version with the colored grid lines on the lid? The version which was handmade by the creator?
I wonder if the problem with cracks is contained to the older version of the MISTI?

In any case, I got really concerned reading this, so I went ahead and added two pieces of thin cardstock as a shim on the bottom of my MISTI. I also have a fun foam shim that I place under the lid when the lid is open, to cushion the lid when I apply ink to the stamp, and thereby easing the strain on the lid that way too. Perhaps that is something others with the same concern as me, would like to do too? I read about it in another thread here on the MISTI forum =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #117  
Crimping Master

I really think it was just one manufacturing run. Mine was replaced and is not cracking. The first one did it right away. I am careful with it but I haven't heard anymore about cracking for the last year. I think we would be hearing it again if it was still happening. I think the extra care you are giving yours can't hurt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #118  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegojentaView Post
Hi everyone

I just recently bought a MISTI, one of the new ones I believe made on a factory. It has the etched lid that doesn't have any color on the grid lines on the lid. i have read some of the comments on this thread, and I would like to ask if all of you that have experienced cracking, has the older version with the colored grid lines on the lid? The version which was handmade by the creator?
I wonder if the problem with cracks is contained to the older version of the MISTI?

In any case, I got really concerned reading this, so I went ahead and added two pieces of thin cardstock as a shim on the bottom of my MISTI. I also have a fun foam shim that I place under the lid when the lid is open, to cushion the lid when I apply ink to the stamp, and thereby easing the strain on the lid that way too. Perhaps that is something others with the same concern as me, would like to do too? I read about it in another thread here on the MISTI forum =)
Oh you don't need extra foam or any of that. The crazing (very fine, teeny cracks coming in from the edge) that occurred on some last year was a manufacturing defect in the way the edge of the acrylic was polished - it affected a very small number produced (less than 1%), and the manufacturing method was immediately changed and hasn't been done that way for a long time. If the defect appears it's very easy to spot in photos - so don't worry - enjoy your MISTI - it's not delicate and doesn't need shims or foam, etc. Stamp & enjoy as is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #119  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySweetPetuniaView Post
Oh you don't need extra foam or any of that. The crazing (very fine, teeny cracks coming in from the edge) that occurred on some last year was a manufacturing defect in the way the edge of the acrylic was polished - it affected a very small number produced (less than 1%), and the manufacturing method was immediately changed and hasn't been done that way for a long time. If the defect appears it's very easy to spot in photos - so don't worry - enjoy your MISTI - it's not delicate and doesn't need shims or foam, etc. Stamp & enjoy as is.
Thank you for letting me know =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #120  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I wonder why some are required to send them back and some aren't. And some had to pay to send them back (I did not but at first I was told I would have to).
I've also wondered, after reading this thread, why some were "offered" the opportunity to provide a photo or send their MISTI back. As I said earlier, I was told what caused the crack by the company and basically accused of not having the brains to check mine when it arrived. I had a very unpleasant exchange with the company and I do just want people to be aware that customer service is tenable with this company. I'm happy for others who have had a good experience. And this is a great idea and tool! I am continuing to use mine just working around the cracked corner.
Reply With Quote Likes