Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #121  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the cracks on mine within the warranty period and sent photos to verify the problem. It was handled in a pleasant and timely manner and I received my new one. Those who had problems outside the warranty period were probably handled differently. My understanding is that she was able to see the crazing which indicated a manufacturing defect and those who reported and photo-documented it and were within the warranty period received a replacement. I think she talked about her policy on this forum and elsewhere.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #122  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, she has posted her policy. As I stated in an earlier post, I emailed her when I noticed the crack to find out when I bought mine (because I couldn't remember, old as I am!), described the crack, etc, so that I would know if I was in the warranty period. Her immediate response to me was "that type of crack ONLY happens in shipping, you should have checked it when you received it, you've obviously been able to use the tool with no problem, etc". I had several people read her response to me to make sure I wasn't being overly sensitive and they did agree that the response was not necessary and a bit rude. She did eventually answer my original question that showed I was out of warranty. That was all I wanted to begin with. I understand it is out of warranty but that being said, it is a bit of a pricey tool to crack like that. I hope the crack in mine does not get worse because I can use it, I just avoid that corner. Even if those of us who had problems outside of the warranty period were handled differently, it could have been handled more pleasantly with a simple answer from the beginning. I just want to share my experience, and I know of a couple of others who had not so pleasant experiences including a store owner, so that people can be aware. It is a great product and I hope My Petunia has great success with it just in case I ever do need a new one (purely selfish, I know) but good for her, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #123  
Crimping Master

I see what you are saying. Sounds like you dealt with your problem in good faith. Not a fun experience. Mine started out as dozens of little cracks all around the three open edges and they continue to grow inward although I am still using it. With just the one cracked edge yours might last a really long time. I hope so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 AM   #124  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoney58View Post
I've also wondered, after reading this thread, why some were "offered" the opportunity to provide a photo or send their MISTI back.
Hi there - I'm sorry you had a bad experience - I hope I can regain your faith!

Each return varies - the ones with defects are very easy to identify - other damage it's quite unclear whether it's shipping damage - some people's photos were not good enough to determine (clear acrylic is hard to snap a pic of ), some I need to return to the manufacturer for credit - every circumstance is unique. Things that seem to be very straightforward from the customer side become quite different when you are on the manufacturing side and have all those variables to contend with.

I'm glad you love the tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #125  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the response. I guess my biggest issue was I just wanted to check if it was under warranty. It wasn't, which is what I expected, so that's where I stand. I just found out interesting that others had cracks and things were handled differently. I am using my tool so I am carrying on! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #126  
Hardware Hotshot

Several years ago there was a discussion on the cost of buying cutting plates for die cutting machines .

A couple of people said they went to their local glass cutter and had them cut Lexan acrylic plates for a fraction of the cost of the ones in the stores. It needs to be Lexan not plexiglass. One woman said she got plates that were 5 ⅞ X 10" for $6

If the cracks in your MISTI get too severe to use it try having a glass cutter cut a new lid for you . I am sure they have the glue to re glue the hinges . Or I saw the hinges at Home Depot for around 25� each . The new lid won't have the gird markings, but it also won't cost $60 either .
You can have Office Depot print a grid sheet on acetate and tape that on the new lid if you really need the grid lines to line things up .
Just a thought
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #127  
Hardware Hotshot

If you must buy new hinges here are some on eBay . 10 for $2.50 plus shipping

10 Pieces Clear Acrylic Plastic Hinges Plexiglass Hinge Size 25x32mm | eBay

The glass cutter would have the correct glue on hand to attach them. I doubt they would charge much for about a teaspoon of glue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #128  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
That's the new edge

The flame polish - smooth, shiny edge - is the process that can cause acrylic to craze.

(Other things can too, chemicals etc.) - but those were the ones that had a small % of error rates that caused them to craze.
I purchased my Misti in February 2015 and it has a shiny edge. I have just today noticed cracks along the edge. (I don't stamp very often at all which is probably why I just noticed.) I have already sent photos and an email but I am curious, does this mean that I could possibly have purchased a defective Misti?

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #129  
Crimping Master

Oh I hope not. I noticed mine within the warranty period only because I happened to be sitting near a window in very bright light. Otherwise I would have missed the warranty period. Maybe send several photos in your email to her and the date of purchase if you have records-worth a try. I will say that although mine was replaced I am still using the old one. The cracks have spread but I expect it to be usable for a long time to come. That's probably not a favorite option but they don't fall apart any time soon if at all. I believe I bought mine in early 2015 also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #130  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara32caView Post
I purchased my Misti in February 2015 and it has a shiny edge. I have just today noticed cracks along the edge. (I don't stamp very often at all which is probably why I just noticed.) I have already sent photos and an email but I am curious, does this mean that I could possibly have purchased a defective Misti?

Barbara
Hi Barbara - did you email through the website or to hello@ ? If the edge of your lid is shiny, you definitely could have and we will take care of it. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #131  
Compulsive Stamper

I also purchased my MISTI in Feb 2015 and noticed small cracks along the edge. I've emailed my sweet petunia photos along with my invoice number last week. I am not sure what email address I should have used ??? Help!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #132  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamcappieView Post
I also purchased my MISTI in Feb 2015 and noticed small cracks along the edge. I've emailed my sweet petunia photos along with my invoice number last week. I am not sure what email address I should have used ??? Help!
Thanks
It's [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #133  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you Lydia !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #134  
Compulsive Stamper

Illiana was able to help me out. I would say that their customer service is excellent.
I can't imagine stamping without the MISTI, it is a great tool !!

Thanks,
Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #135  
Crimping Master

That's great. So glad she could help you. I'm hooked on my MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #136  
Gallery Gazer

Just to add my .......

I didn't feel that I could afford the Misti, nor if I would use it that much, so created my DIY with an SU case. Wasn't that impressed. Then one of my favorite online stores offered free shipping AND a percentage off my order from them. They had the Misti, so ordered my own birthday. BEST gift EVER!! It is at the top of the list with my Big Shot. I am in fear of when either wears out! LOL (FYi, have had my Big Shot for over five years and use it all the time.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #137  
Crimping Master

Sooo glad you got the MISTI. I think it will last a long time!!! It has saved me so much frustration and allowed me to use stamp sets I had given up on. Put away a dollar a week and in a year you can have a back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #138  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedPixieView Post
I did e-mail pictures of the cracks to the creator and got told I could mail it at my expense for her to inspect it and decide if it was a defect. Having heard other people's results from this "inspection" I have decided I am not putting any more money into this product. I am not running around yelling nasty things from the rooftop - I think it was a great invention, mine just doesn't hold up well. I didn't start this thread, however whenever anyone asks I am going to tell them of my experience. People can make up their own minds about whether to invest in one, but I do think they have a right to know what may happen to theirs.
Iliana just replaced the lid on my old Misti because it was one of the original ones with the manufacturer's defect. She was kind enough to send me a prepaid postage label. I would try to reach out again if you are still interested. I have really used and enjoyed mine and would purchase again if it cracked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #139  
Die Cut Diva

I just read through this whole thread and while leery, am I understanding correctly that the ones now are fine? I've never used one, but it looks like an invaluable tool. I don't really have the budget right now, but my bf is up for a raise in about a week. hehe He indulges me. <3
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #140  
Crimping Master

I really think they are fine now. I haven't heard anyone complain about the newer ones. I have my replaced one from way back and a mini and they work perfectly and have no flaws. I have a friend who works in a stamp shop and they sell dozens of them without any returns or complaints. If mine fell down a well I would replace it immediately. I'm pretty dependent on it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #141  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stands behind her product

I would not hesitate to buy one. Only the originals had the defect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #142  
Die Cut Diva

Oh gosh, that is good news. Thanks ladies! NOW, I just need to decide which size to get, and then find a good deal on one.
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #143  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stands behind her product

I would not hesitate to buy one. Only the originals had the defect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #144  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry, please delste. Duplicate submission .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #145  

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I haven't read this entire thread, but thought I'd share a tip. . .

Place a piece of foam, same thickness as the foam pad that comes with the misti, under the open lid when cleaning the ink off your stamps. This will keep your lid level with the base so that the lid will not incur unnecessary pressure. Perhaps this will help prevent damage to the lid or hinges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #146  
Crimping Master

I do this too. I think it's a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #147  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
I haven't read this entire thread, but thought I'd share a tip. . .

Place a piece of foam, same thickness as the foam pad that comes with the misti, under the open lid when cleaning the ink off your stamps. This will keep your lid level with the base so that the lid will not incur unnecessary pressure. Perhaps this will help prevent damage to the lid or hinges.
Great idea. I've been using a magazine with some pages ripped out but foam would be better.

Any suggestions for a supplier for 1/8th" foam? I'm finding 1/16th" or it's got adhesive backing or it's for a million sheets. Not that I exaggerate much. I was hoping for Amazon Prime, but have checked other suppliers too.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #148  
Crimping Master

I've just been approximating with a piece of fun foam and that thin foamy stuff that packages are shipped in. I like the magazine idea. That's easiest of all. I think it's the little bit of support that is the main thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #149  
Gallery Gazer

I have fun foam but it's 1/16th" plus too small. If it was larger I could just adhere to sheets to each other though. (Duh!) : ) Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #150  
Crimping Master

The MISTI allows me to be calmer. I'm not terribly precise. I don't have to wonder if I am going to mess up my whole card with one last bad image or crooked placement. I don't like white knuckle hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #151  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
The MISTI allows me to be calmer. I'm not terribly precise. I don't have to wonder if I am going to mess up my whole card with one last bad image or crooked placement. I don't like white knuckle hobbies.
Quote of the day: "I don't like white knuckle hobbies."

So the Misti is ommmisti for you. ;)

I just finished a 25 twinchies swap on SCS, and some very light inks for six twinchies didn't love the mat board I used. So it was calming to stamp a 1/4" image three times in several spots to get good coverage.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #152  

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Great idea. I've been using a magazine with some pages ripped out but foam would be better.

Any suggestions for a supplier for 1/8th" foam? I'm finding 1/16th" or it's got adhesive backing or it's for a million sheets. Not that I exaggerate much. I was hoping for Amazon Prime, but have checked other suppliers too.

Beth
You could double the 1/16" foam, or move the black foam that came with the misti and use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #153  
Crimping Master

Omnimisti yes. I did a 25 card output for a nonprofit last year. It would have been so tiresome and mistake prone without the MISTi. I'm less critical about my inks now because I know I have a second chance. I'm not a Jennifer McGuire perfect inker and even she uses one.
I think anything that supports the MISTI door without lifting the frame off the table surface is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 AM   #154  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
You could double the 1/16" foam, or move the black foam that came with the misti and use it.
Thanks, Bonnie. I'd rather not put the Misit foam on the sometimes not pristine craft mat, and the 1/16th" foam I have is too little, but I can buy standard sized foam and adhere 2-3 sheets to each other and keep it with the Misti.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #155  
Embossing Fanatic

I see there is a sell going on for the MISTI. Other than the Novus cleaner is there anything else I should order along with it? I prefer ordering upfront to save on shipping if there is something I know I will need. I see the grid paper, Mouse pad, replacement vinyl, and magnets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #156  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I would change, would be to add adjustable hinges.
This way if you have a thicker rubber stamp. It wouldn't bend so much.

I use my clear mount stamps, and some of them are thicker than the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #157  
Matboard Maniac

Are you removing the black foam when you use a thicker stamp? then you could just use a sheet or 2 of paper under it to make the height correct.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #158  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I have a Proto-type unit. It has worked fine! I just started cracking at the hinges! I had used it a lot to get my Christmas cards done. I inked up the inside sentiment of my cards, and then I used it for my personal made by stamp in the back. I make over 70 cards each Christmas. It worked like a charm for this purpose. Loved the way it looked in results, but just noticed the cracking at the hinges this year. I've had mine quite awhile though, almost two years or just over....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #159  
Cardstock Collector

I just emailed Iliana as I just found cracks in the lid of my MISIT too. I have two MISTIs bought several months apart and it's the 2nd one that is cracking?!?! The first one is trucking along just fine...I too use only Novus Clean so it wasn't a cleaner problem either. I will wait to see what she says. I would think for the amount of money we spent on these units they should last for years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #160  
Matboard Maniac

What is the difference between old and newer Mistis? Not sure which I have.
Reply With Quote Likes