Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 x 2 Tiles

Could you all tell me where you buy your 2x2 tiles and specifically, what kind do you buy? I have found glossy and satin both at Lowes, but they are not tumbled (as some posts talk about). They come in a sheet of 36 held together by glue that will have to be cut apart. Is this what I need? What do I seal them with? Krylon spray or Crystal Effects? Which is better? I know this is a lot of questions, but I want to make some as gifts for the mothers at my church for mothers day. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Newnan, GA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I've only used the unglazed tumbled type that are larger tha 2 x 2. We heat set them in the oven and sealed with Krylon. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Wakenda -

Tumbled tiles are best (at least in my experience). Stamp your image with staz-on ink, then then color with Sharpies (or leave just the inked image). Allow the tile to dry completely, then use a acrylic sealer to seal the tiles. To avoid the image smearing, apply one coat of sealer (which can be purchased at a hobby store) VERY lightly on top and let dry. Depending on use, I coat with 5-7 coats of sealer.

The 2x2 tiles that come in the sheets are the ones that I have used before too. Just cut them apart - you will have to put something on the back anyway, like magnets or rubber bumpers.

One word of caution - have a steady hand, it's too easy to slide the image around.

Also, have some staz-on stamp cleaner around - it works great for removing those **oops** from the tiles!

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

I am just wondering what is StazOn ink remover and where can you get it. I didn't know there was such a thing and my stamps I use with StazOn are very messy. LOL
Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Pat - I can get Staz-On cleaner at my local Archiver's and at Michael's. They are both by the stamps.
It does a great job at cleaning off the stamps!
Lemme know if you can't find them, and maybe we can arrange to mail them or something!

Good Luck!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 03:49 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Amy. I will look for it at Michaels. I'm not too far away from one. I am new to SU and have a lot to learn yet. LOL
Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 04:39 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

OK - I have experimented with these little tiles ...

I have used Staz-on and sharpies - only problem is that after awhile the image can rub off - it just sort of sits on top of the tile since the tile is not pourous - if you let it dry for a long time it is harder to rub the image off but rubbing it with your fingers or thumb can take the image off - mainly the colored in sharpie part...

I have tried different types of sealers - they work ok - BUT

1) if you don't have a light hand you can cause the image to blur or shadow - this mainly depends on the type of sealer you have - I have tried a bunch and they all seem to "soften" the image somewhat - the one I have had the least amount of problems with is Krylon fixif.

2) If you use a spray-on sealer in most cases the image gets "transfered" to the sealer - so if the top coat chips the image goes with it...

***I haven't tried sealing it with a thin layer of Crystal effects that might work to seal in the image and coloring and resist chipping better that spray sealers - it is on my "to do" list to play around with that

I have had some good sucess with stamping with staz-on -blasting with the heat gun - coloring in with sharpies, blasting again with the heat gun and then throwing them in the microwave for about 20 seconds...THEY WILL BE HOT....I don't know if the heat from the microwave allows the image to "bake" on to the tile of what but I have found that the image is much much harder to rub off if I put it in the microwave vs not putting it in the microwave - if you rub really really hard you can get some of the color to budge, but the chances of someone rubbing that hard are slim...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 04:57 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made xmas ornaments for my Girls Scouts. I was very pleased with the end results.

I used glazed 2x2 tiles from Lowes. Yep, they come in a sheet of 24 or 36 tiles - I can't remember which. I just cut them apart, and slightly scraped the remaining connective material. The heating in the oven does help prevent the image from rubbing off. When I first tried it, coloring with Sharpies was impossible w/o heating image first.

1) stamped with stazon - heated in oven (250 degrees) for 15 minutes.
2) colored with sharpies - heated in oven same way
3) let cool
4) wrapped a piece of grosgrain around the edge.
5) added a loop with grosgrain ribbon
6) glued a piece of felt to back - covered the ends from hanging loop and made the back look nice.

I used E6000 glue for the ribbon and back. Elmer's couldn't cut it.

I got the idea from samples in the gallery. Search tiles + ornament in the Anything but a Card gallery.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 186 Likes on 154 Posts
Talking 2X2 Tiles

I too got the sheet of 36 tiles. I pulled the rubber backing off slowly tile by tile and now can use the rubber grid to stamp through!
I used Staz-On ink then was able to color with sharpies or chalk. Then I sprayed with acrylic spray and they were ready to use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 03:09 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

What's the best thing to glue magnets to the back of the 2x2 tumbled tiles? I'm going to make 60 of these as gifts at my Hostess Appreciation party (4 per guest). I know people use Crystal Effects but I'm wondering if this is going to get expensive? Is there something else that's just as good (and possibly cheaper? What about SuperGlue?

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have too used the 2x2 from Lowes ... I let my original design dry after stamped with StazOn. Then I took a bunch of Q-tips and rubbed them into the StazOn ink and colored my tile from there. Heat set it put on some Dazzling Diamonds then sprayed it lightly with Krylon. Haven't had a problem yet.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkaren
What's the best thing to glue magnets to the back of the 2x2 tumbled tiles? I'm going to make 60 of these as gifts at my Hostess Appreciation party (4 per guest). I know people use Crystal Effects but I'm wondering if this is going to get expensive? Is there something else that's just as good (and possibly cheaper? What about SuperGlue?
I used a hot glue gun it worked out great just make sure you use enough or the magnets fall off. I would suggest coating them a few times just let it dry between coats of sealant. hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Home Depot in Peachtree City has the 2x2 tumbled marble tiles in sheets of 36.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 186 Likes on 154 Posts
Default 2x2 Tiles

I used two strips of the flat magnets in a roll. They are very sticky on one side. I put one strip at the top and one at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakenda
Could you all tell me where you buy your 2x2 tiles and specifically, what kind do you buy? I have found glossy and satin both at Lowes, but they are not tumbled (as some posts talk about). They come in a sheet of 36 held together by glue that will have to be cut apart. Is this what I need? What do I seal them with? Krylon spray or Crystal Effects? Which is better? I know this is a lot of questions, but I want to make some as gifts for the mothers at my church for mothers day. Thank you in advance for all your help.
I buy my 2x2 tiles at Lowes and Home Depot. I've found the tumbled marble and the satin finish at both.

I've had success with both types of tiles with the following differences.

The tumbled marble being an unpolished stones has lots of nooks and crannies. So sometimes my images don't look to hot. But when you find a smooth tile, these are so much easier to get the image to set without smearing and once you seal them, they really look nice.

The satin finished tile as many others have mentioned really needs to be set and you have to have a very steady hand. Biggest benefit of these is that they are SO MUCH CHEAPER than the marble. I pay about $3-$4 per sheet of the satin compaired to around $18 for the marble.

Stazon ink is definately the best. I've colored the images using a bunch of different techniques. I've used a Q-tip rubbed in the stazon ink to color some of the images, I've used watercolor pencils and a blender pen, chalks, and regular colored pencils. I guess that there isn't really a right or wrong way, it is really hit or miss as well as personal preference.

I hope that this helps you out a bit. Fran
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I have used the 2x2 tiles too. They were not the tumbled, and not really highly glazed either - somewhere in-between. I found that if I used the Staz-0n and then used clear embossing powder on top and heat set that with the embossing gun, I have had no problem with it coming off. I did not have to put any sealer on it.

Also, I used the the heavy duty round magnets for the back as I couldn't get the regular magnets to hold it up on the refrigerator. It kept sliding down! The heavy duty magnets work great and I used crystal effects to glue it down. It had to sit for an hour or so though, to make sure the C. E. was dry.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 06:05 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Default Magnet Problems

Okay, I made 3 (2x2) using glazed tiles Saturday night. I bought business card magnets that I cut in half and put on the back. So far 2 have fallen off my refrigerator and busted into a million pieces. Anyway idea on how to get the magnets to stay on? I want to make these at a get together I'm having.

Help, Help...please
Thanks,
Marlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 02:26 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Use E6000 glue.....it holds everything! You can find it at WalMart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 06:34 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Default 2x2 tiles

Have you thought about stamping on tissue paper, coloring it in and then using ultra thick embossing powder to adhere the tissue to the tile? I saw it on HGTV. The tissue just disappears. It looks like it would be a great tech.
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkaren
You may want to try Gorilla Glue. That stuff will glue anything. It kind of bubbles around the edges though, but on the back of a magnet I don't think it will matter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneBB
Have you thought about stamping on tissue paper, coloring it in and then using ultra thick embossing powder to adhere the tissue to the tile? I saw it on HGTV. The tissue just disappears. It looks like it would be a great tech.
Anne
Here's a link for those instructions. I totally messed up my first effort without them. I'm off to try again!

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/ar...812624,00

Last edited by purplewinkle; 05-05-2005 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Forgot the link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I had success the second time. I just used one coat of UTEE. I made one at stamp club and gave it away as the doorprize. They all seemed to love this technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the ideas I finally was able to make a tile that does not come off or smudge
Old 11-25-2005, 06:14 AM   #24  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy-o
I made xmas ornaments for my Girls Scouts. I was very pleased with the end results.

I used glazed 2x2 tiles from Lowes. Yep, they come in a sheet of 24 or 36 tiles - I can't remember which. I just cut them apart, and slightly scraped the remaining connective material. The heating in the oven does help prevent the image from rubbing off. When I first tried it, coloring with Sharpies was impossible w/o heating image first.

1) stamped with stazon - heated in oven (250 degrees) for 15 minutes.
2) colored with sharpies - heated in oven same way
3) let cool
4) wrapped a piece of grosgrain around the edge.
5) added a loop with grosgrain ribbon
6) glued a piece of felt to back - covered the ends from hanging loop and made the back look nice.

I used E6000 glue for the ribbon and back. Elmer's couldn't cut it.

I got the idea from samples in the gallery. Search tiles + ornament in the Anything but a Card gallery.
Thank you Wendy for detailed instructions- glad I found this thread- I'm going to give this a try!

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 04:52 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Default magnet tiles

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle
Here's a link for those instructions. I totally messed up my first effort without them. I'm off to try again!

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/ar...812624,00.html
I just tried making the magnet tiles by stamping on tissue paper and adhering with UTEE. They are so fun! Check out this link for instrutions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The tissue paper idea sounds great! Going to go give that a try. TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes