Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcohol Splash

Does anyone know how this technique is done or what it is?

Here is a link that shows some cards made using this technique.
http://www.techniquejunkies.com/subs...ol-splash
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 07:07 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are stunning!

Pat Huntoon's Technique Junkies Newsletter is nothing short of AWESOME and contains step by step instructions for this and so many other great techniques! I highly recommend subscribing, as you'll receive bonus techniques on her website, too!!! Very very cool!

Very comprehensive, wonderful resource! I love it because I keep 'em in a 3 ring binder and can find info so quickly/easily, instead of thumbing through piles of 8 years worth of other stamping mag subscriptions! :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Virginia, just looking at some of the cards makes me think "Polished Stone" technique. There are tons of tutorials floating around about that since it's been around for years. You might try a search on that. I never was very interested in it because I don't like the smell, lol.

As far as Pat's exact technique described in her newsletter, I don't know. She may have some sort of variation, or I could be totally wrong, lol! However, I do know that, even though a lot of the techniques Pat shows have been around for quite some time, she takes the time to put them in a clear and consistent format for people, in such a way that makes her Technique Journals a valuable, easy-to-use resource tool. I would love to subscribe if I could!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 08:37 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Hmmm, I'm tempted to subscribe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

DO IT! I can almost promise you won't be dissapointed. The Techniques are awesome! The instructions are pictoral and really easy to follow. She has a great staff and very helpful if you have questions. DO IT!!

Hugs

Ruthy (a TJ Ultimate Subscriber)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 02:12 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Where do you subscribe to this newsletter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

oops ! I should have kept scrolling down the link!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

You can subscribe here: http://www.techniquejunkies.com/And depending how much you want to spend, you can even get all of the back issues! I just subscribed a short while back and I love it!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

So back to the original question...Does anyone know how to do the Alcohol Splash technique? I want to see directions now, not subscribe to a newsletter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #10  
Sassy Shani

ummmm....WOW! patience is a virtue my friend. :mrgreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy57
So back to the original question...Does anyone know how to do the Alcohol Splash technique? I want to see directions now, not subscribe to a newsletter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Hee Hee...I can't believe this thread popped up again after so long. I suscribed to the newsletter months ago but for some reason never started recieving it. I guess I should check up on that huh? I've got the 'ol out of sight out of mind syndrome. I probably would have forgotten all about that had this thread not popped up again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I'm guessing that you probably won't get the instructions from anyone who subscribes to the newsletter. It's kind of an agreement between subscribers and the newsletter. Once the technique has been around for a while and it's common knowledge, then you'll be able to find it more readily. Did you try a gallery and forum search? Perhaps google? If you really want to know and can't find it elsewhere, each issue of the newsletter is only $3 I believe.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

It's nice to recommend the newsletter, however when some one has a question, posts it and people's reply to it is basically....

I know, I know but I'm not gonna tell you.

You HAVE to subscribe to find out!

That is a little nasty, I wouldn't subscribe out of principle. And won't now after seeing that attitude.

Not trying to start a fight, I just feel for the person who needs help, asks a question and then people know the answer, tell her they know it, but refuse to share it. :(

Kinda like a nanny nanny boo boo going on here :(

Last edited by Buckeye Stamper; 04-27-2006 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I think it's an unreasonable request on the part of the people who put the newsletter out there, to expect people to not share information. It seems a bit greedy and feels like blackmail sorta. It's not like someone has to violate a copyright law or anything to share their knowledge. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by virginia
I think it's an unreasonable request on the part of the people who put the newsletter out there, to expect people to not share information. It seems a bit greedy and feels like blackmail sorta. It's not like someone has to violate a copyright law or anything to share their knowledge. :(

Oh, I agree that they don't have to share their knowledge, maybe they should just say,

"you might be able to find it here"

Or not say anything at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Stamper
It's nice to recommend the newsletter, however when some one has a question, posts it and people's reply to it is basically....

I know, I know but I'm not gonna tell you.

You HAVE to subscribe to find out!

That is a little nasty, I wouldn't subscribe out of principle. And won't now after seeing that attitude.

Not trying to start a fight, I just feel for the person who needs help, asks a question and then people know the answer, tell her they know it, but refuse to share it. :(

I have to agree. I mean after all aren't we all here to help each other learn? And,by the way, I betcha' some of the other techniques in the newsletter can be found on SCS....soooooo why is this one so top secret? And I don't think that anyone will track someone down for directions if the poster posts it.
Not trying to start anything either, but perhaps some people may not be in a position to pay for the directions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaswife
I have to agree. I mean after all aren't we all here to help each other learn? And,by the way, I betcha' some of the other techniques in the newsletter can be found on SCS....soooooo why is this one so top secret? And I don't think that anyone will track someone down for directions if the poster posts it.
Not trying to start anything either, but perhaps some people may not be in a position to pay for the directions.
because pat's tutorials are copy righted.. and it is wrong to infringe on that.
how would you feel if you created something, spent time and effort on it, make your living on it, and someone just released the info at their will, thus reducing your income, and disrespecting your time and effort you put into something.

the technique junkie is her business.. it is wrong to reproduce it... simple as that.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

the technique junkie is her business.. it is wrong to reproduce it... simple as that.
Are the ideas in the newsletter originally hers though? If so, how do you know? I'm not asking anyone to violate a copyright law...I'm just asking how a technique that is most likely common knowledge around here is done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Stamper
I know, I know but I'm not gonna tell you. You HAVE to subscribe to find out!
I had a totally opposite reaction from yours....
#1 Not one person said that they already had tried the technique and knew how to do it. They just said it would be in one of the TJ newsletters
#2 When Virginia first posted her question, the link she included was part of the same web site the other gals were referring her to.
#3 The TJ newsletter has a copyright. Most SU demos and customers do not want to start breaking that law.
#4 The TJ newsletter has been around for at least 4 years. In order to find any particular technique, one would have to go back and search.

BTW... I am in no way connected to the TJ newsletter. I don't even subscribe. Just pointing out the basic facts.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

So then let me ask you this...

If you learned a technique from the newsletter and showed your SU customers how to do it, are you violating a copyright?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

i dont know her, or if the ideas are hers, but i picture it something like this.. pat sees a cool idea. so, she spends a few days trying to recreate it.. after she perfects it.. she does a tutorial.. and that tutorial is copyrighted.

either you pay to get it word for word, or you spend a few days trying to recreate it yourself..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Copyright Fair Use

Hello,
Since I manage copyrights for my company, I have a little bit of knowledge about this. From what I can tell when reading the Fair Use law, if no one is giving the TJ newsletter info out for a PROFIT, it is completely acceptable to share the info. It is akin to giving a friend a magazine to read an interesting article. Or a doctor sharing an article in a journal on a new potential treatment.

However, if an SU demonstrator would then use the technique in a classroom setting and NOT give credit to the newsletter as the source of the technique, that is a copyright infringement.

Here is the legal verbage from www.copyright.com (a clearing house for publishers of ALL kinds)
What is protected by copyright?
In the United States, copyright protection is provided by the government to the authors of �original works of authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works.� This protection is available to both published and unpublished works, regardless of the nationality or domicile of the author.
What are the rights of the copyright holder or creator?
One of the rights exclusive to copyright holders (rightsholders) is the right to reproduce their works (e.g., photocopies, post to Web sites, etc.). Copyright holders also have the right to prepare derivative works, to distribute copies for sale, and to perform the work publicly, as in the case of motion pictures, videos and plays.
Is content found on the Internet considered to be in the public domain and therefore not copyright-protected?
No. The legal concept of the public domain as it applies to copyright law should not be confused with the fact that a work may be publicly available, such as information found in books or periodicals, or on the Internet. The public domain comprises all those works that are either no longer protected by copyright or never were. Any content in a non-digital form that is protected by copyright will be protected in a digital form. For example, print books are protected by copyright as are electronic books. Analog musical recordings are protected by copyright as are digital musical recordings. A print letter is protected by copyright as is an e-mail letter (both generally owned by the author of that letter or e-mail). Web sites may be protected by copyright as a single work, and also the many different embedded works that are in that Web site may be individually protected by copyright.
What is �fair use�?
Fair use is primarily intended to allow the use of copyright-protected works for commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education. However, fair use is not an exception to copyright compliance so much as it is a �legal defense.� That is, if you use a copyright-protected work and the copyright owner claims copyright infringement, you may be able to assert a defense of fair use, which you would then have to prove. Whether a certain reproduction or other use of a copyright-protected work is considered fair use is not specifically set out in the Copyright Act. As such, you must determine, based upon the factors in the Copyright Act, whether that particular act may be considered fair use.
Fair use considers:

The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit, educational purposes.
The nature of the copyrighted work.
The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyright protected work as a whole.
The effect of the use on the potential market for or value of the copyright-protected work.

THe website is: http://www.copyright.com/ccc/do/view...r11-n#copyfaq1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

well hopefully the subscribers respect her enough to not divulge the 'secrets' to her hard work..

*ps.. i dont even subscribe.. just get irritated when people feel entitled to something for nothing!! *

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

No trouble sharing this! I just went to a class at a LSS and bought a TON of alcohol inks! I think they were from something called Ranger? - not positive, and I already opened everything and put it in a cutsey box. Well, anyway, they were so easy to use - with beautiful results! They are sold 3 to a package, a littlt handle "stomper thing" that you attach felt squares to for blending. The front of my bottle says "Adirondack Alcohol Ink". Oh - just found it's by Jim Holtz. He signed the bottle. I'm sure he'd be THRILLED for this news to get spread around so we all run right out and buy his stuff!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=

Kinda like a nanny nanny boo boo going on here :([/QUOTE]

that's what my 3 yo DD says to my 2yo DS

be patient- I have found that with time all will share
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't mean it like that - honest! I was just so happy to be helpful - I get so many neat ideas from everyone here, I feel a little guilty that I don't have much to contribute. I was just so thrilled I actually KNEW something!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloomyoldeeyore
I didn't mean it like that - honest! I was just so happy to be helpful - I get so many neat ideas from everyone here, I feel a little guilty that I don't have much to contribute. I was just so thrilled I actually KNEW something!!!
I didn't mean you-lol

just all the non- shareres sharing that they knew but weren't telling - regardless of the reason it is a bit

nah nah nah nah boo boo!

lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

*ps.. i dont even subscribe.. just get irritated when people feel entitled to something for nothing!! *
Just incase this was directed my way, and you think I'm someone like this... I don't feel entitled to something for nothing. I am more than willing/helpful with whatever knowledge I have in my brain that someone might want, including techniques. If I know the source of the technique I'm happy to state so. I do my fair share of trying to figure stuff out on my own, and if it happens to be something cool that no one else has done, I'm very willing to share and am more than happy to give something for nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Gloomy...I bought some alcohol inks a month or so ago and am loving them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirby
I didn't mean you-lol

just all the non- shareres sharing that they knew but weren't telling - regardless of the reason it is a bit

nah nah nah nah boo boo!

lol
K, I take exception to this. Just imagine if all of us on SCS, or even a group of us decided to go in together and buy only one subsription to the TJ newsletter and then just shared the info. Pat would quickly lose business and we'd eventually lose a fabulous resource for new ideas. As a matter of honor, because I subscribe, I will not post directions to something in the newsletter unless I google it and can find the directions elsewhere. Once it's common knowledge (for example faux linen), then I have no problem sharing.

The newsletter is only $3 every 2 months. And, you can actually click on the "subscriber only pages" link and it lists every technique going back to the inception of the newsletter. You just can't see the how-to unless you subscribe, but this lets you pick and choose which ones you would like to purchase.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

"Once it's common knowledge (for example faux linen), then I have no problem sharing."
I am very new to the whole stamping thing and I LOVE this website. I am learning a lot -- thanks to all of you. I hope I can become a contributor sometime in the near future, when I feel more confident of my work.

Anyway...

My question is, how does it become "common knowledge" if the techniques are not shared here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeandryansmom
"Once it's common knowledge (for example faux linen), then I have no problem sharing."
I am very new to the whole stamping thing and I LOVE this website. I am learning a lot -- thanks to all of you. I hope I can become a contributor sometime in the near future, when I feel more confident of my work.

Anyway...

My question is, how does it become "common knowledge" if the techniques are not shared here?
Basically, when it's been around for a while. More people start doing it and teaching others. I'm happy also to teach the technique in a class or workshop, just not to post it here so zillions of people can access it. I haven't even tried it yet myself because I don't have access to some of the necessary supplies.

I think those of us who subscribe weren't going "neener neener", we were telling the original poster where she could get the information. It's the same with people who post cute creations in the gallery using templates from magazines. They are unable to post the template because you're supposed to buy the magazine to get it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, so reading what happened above for the first time I am a little taken aback. GOOD GRIEF!! Sounds like Jr. High politics!

The technique is polished stone. I take little bits of felt (buy it in a sheet at WalMart and cut it into 4 x 1" strips) and fold my felt into a triangle by putting my two ends in a clothes pin and leaving a 1" base. You pour some rubbing alcohol in a shallow bowl and you're going to need re-inkers of the colors you want to use. I use usually 2 colors and a metalic...all re-inkers I buy from SU! You dip your 1" base in the rubbing alcohol and put 3-4 drops of each color on your base. Sometimes I put them in a triangle. Sometimes I put them in a straight line. Doesn't seem to matter. You then holding onto your clothes pin dab your ink and alcohol all over a GLOSSY cardstock. You have to dab fast, as the alcohol dries fast. Sometimes I have to re-ink and sometimes I don't. I like to keep going until it's all milky looking. As it dries the alcohol kind of pools the colors giving a faux granite look. Sometimes the silver re-inker doesn't completely set up, my guess is something to do with the alcohol. I just spray it with hairspray and that takes care of it just fine.

Now can we all move along? I'm sure this lady with the newsletter has lots of ideas, and she's invested lots of time into her craft. Looking at the link from above she's obviously got talent. She's selling something, HER TECHNIQUE....not THE technique, but what she's learned from it and the time to tell about it. I don't even want to know if any of you are fellow SU! Demonstrators because the conversations above are not even CLOSE to the statement of the heart!!

"To love what we do and share what we love, as we help others enjoy creativity and worthwhile accomplishments...in this we make a difference!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #34  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissAubrie
Okay, so reading what happened above for the first time I am a little taken aback. GOOD GRIEF!! Sounds like Jr. High politics!
Now can we all move along? I'm sure this lady with the newsletter has lots of ideas, and she's invested lots of time into her craft. ... I don't even want to know if any of you are fellow SU! Demonstrators because the conversations above are not even CLOSE to the statement of the heart!!

"To love what we do and share what we love, as we help others enjoy creativity and worthwhile accomplishments...in this we make a difference!"
Eloquently put, thank you ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Same thing

Quote:

The technique is polished stone.
So "Alcohol Splash" and Polished Stone" are the same technique? If that is true, then perhaps the lady who writes the newsletter should just use the common name that everyone else has been using for the past three years. It would have saved a lot of confusion.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 01:51 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Alcohol Splash and Polished Stone are NOT the same technique
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 09:14 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa S
Alcohol Splash and Polished Stone are NOT the same technique
Nope, they're not, something entirely different.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Like I said, I would share if I could teach in person, but it's another thing to post it here for zillions of people. That, I believe is crossing the line. Surely SU doesn't advocate ruining someone else's business. Why would anyone subscribe to Pat's newsletter if they knew they could just come here and get the same information for free?

If SU thought this was OK, then they could just subscribe and put her techniques in their monthly newsletter. For heaven's sake, just spend the $3 it costs to get that issue of the newsletter.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #39  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

The technique is not copyrighted, but Pat's words are.

I've showed a couple techniques to my stamping friends, but I don't let them copy the newsletter.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Maybe the difference is in when/how the alcohol gets applied. Here's how I do my "polished stone" and maybe it's the same or not. Just another way to do it?

I'm not a rep for anyone, so I just use supplies found at the LSS. Adirondack alcohol inks, denatured alcohol in a spray bottle, Krylon metallic leafing pens, glossy cardstock/dominoes/other non-porous surface, felt squares/binder clip. Put drops of alcohol ink on glossy cardstock, dropping them right from the bottle. Add Krylon leafing "dots" around the ink spots and moush with the felt square (you can hold it with a binder clip or something so your fingers don't get all stained). Spritz on the denatured alcohol to set the design. When dry stamp over & finish as desired. Maybe "alcohol splash" implies that instead of spritzing the alcohol, you add drops, thus "splashing" it. I've done that too and it's just a slightly different look.

Unfortunately, I don't have my supplies with me or I'd play around and show the differences to see how close this is. I'm new here (posting anyway) and a bit surprised at the attitude. No one is asking for a cut & paste of the newsletter or even step by step if it's just a variation of an established technique.

Sign me "trying to be helpful"....

Sharon

PS - looking back at the samples, I don't see any metallic ink/leafing use. Try omitting that. No moushing either....those colors look pretty distinctive and unblended...or moush just a little to blend if that's the look you want. Just use drops of reinkers and drops of alcohol. HTH!

Last edited by Scrapworking; 04-30-2006 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes