Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default composition books?

Can anyone tell me how or where to find directions on how to make covers for them? The rounded corners are making me wonder what's the best/easiest way to go about it.

Thanks ahead of time!!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I just trim around the corners with a scissor after I have the book put together. Easy enough for me. May be an easier way, and I am sure MANY threads in here explaining it. Possibly the corner punches?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Default composition books

The easiest way is to use the medium size corner rounder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Default Composition Books

I always trace around the book on my card stock, then cut it out and attach it with double sided tape. Do this for both sides. These pieces do not go all the way to the spine. Then, I measure and cut another piece of card stock out for the spine and attach it with double sided tape. Everything fits in place nicely, and I am finished. This is how I do it. HTH.
Rickie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

Here I was thinking you wrapped the cardstock around the cover to the inside. ha!

Thanks again!
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

The self-adhesive velveteen that SU sells makes a beautiful spine cover for these. I did one of these at a stamp camp before I became a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:01 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

You can use sticky felt for the binding. I cut the binding at 9 3/4 by 3 inches. you can get 3 journal out of one sheet of sticky felt. I just made 12 for easter baskets for a mission near us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Where do you get the sticky felt?

TIA

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I do wrap the corners to the inside. I make 3 slits - one into the corner, and one on each side. Then, I fold the slit strips into the inside. I cover the inside with a piece of cardstock cut a little smaller than full size and with rounded corners. Hope this is clear.
Member #1237
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

This is the instructions that I have. I wish I knew the name of the person who wrote this as this is not my own. I would like to give that person credit
I have used this several times and mine comes out great each time.
Hope this helps.

Needed:
*Composition notebook
*5 sheets of 8 1/2x11 Cardstock -
(2 sheets of one and 3 of another of coordinating colors, or you can use 2 pieces of white for the insides.)
*Misc Scraps of Cardstock for matting/layering.
*grossgrain ribbon
*beads or other charm for the end of the "Book Thong"
(book thongs are ribbon book marks that are attached to the book)
*Crystal Effects and Mono Adhesive
*Bone Folder or Stylus
*paper cutter and scissors
*Stamps (Your Choice)
*Inks (Your Choice) I usually use classic ink not craft

To Begin:
Choose your colors -
2 sheets of one color for the front and back cover
1 sheet for the binding (cut to 11"x4") - (I usually make my binding the darkest color)
2 sheets for the inside of covers - (white or to match the binding)

Lay your cardstock for the front cover flat in front of you and lay the notebook down on it so that one long edge of the cardstock is in line with the black binding about one inch in on the note book, use the bone folder to score around the perimeter so that the edges can be folded in.

do this again for the back cover - with a pencil mark each one.

Cut your card stock for the binding to 4" x 11" - lay aside for later.

For the inside pieces - open the front cover and slip a sheet of cardstock in (almost all the way to the binding) and trace with a pencil the edge.
remove and trim cardstock to about 1/4" inside of the line you traced. You want it to be a bit smaller than the cover. Round the corners as the book is rounded. Mark with a pencil the front and back and then set aside for later.

Now it is time to stamp - I usually stamp the covers with some sort of back ground (If I am doing a floral book then I might use the leaves from the same set to make my background - do not try to use a "Background stamp" as it is too small for the project and would be hard to line up) wheeling might be a good choice too. Remember to be random if using a stamp instead of a wheel.

Sometimes I leave the binding with out a back ground stamp - just depends on the look I am trying to achieve

Now for the Focal Point of the book - I stamp an extra scrap - about 3"x4" with my focal stamp (kind of like the front of a card) Then I layer it with coordinating cardstocks and being sure to include the binding color to tie it in. Color the stamp if it is needed, add any embellishments that would look good - ribbon (narrow - tied around the 3x4 piece) deco fasteners, eyelets, fancy fibers etc. If you use ribbon make sure it will match the other ribbon that we will use later - grossgrain is best - not organdy it is too sheer.

Now it is time to assemble:
First you are going to need to cut the edges of your front and back covers so that you will be able to fold around the corners. I make four cuts at each corner so that I have three small triangle shaped pieces (still attached to the cover card stock) that I can fold around the corner. The first two cuts are at the edge of the corner when the book begins to round then I make two more to form the three small triangle shapes. Do this for both top and bottom corners for the front and the back covers.
Use crystal effects as your "paper - super glue" for this project.
Use enough CE but be sparing as if you use too much you will see wrinkling of your cardstock - I always use my finger to wipe the crystal effects and make it flat before attaching. Attach the front cover first, then open the book and put CE on the flaps that are to be folded in - make sure to hold for a few seconds to get a good adhesion.
Then use the same technique for the back cover.

Next you will adhere the binding. It is important to only glue the edges and not all the way around the binding as your book won't open correctly.
use the 4"x11' piece of cardstock, put the corners together and gently curve the middle so that it has some memory of that shape - this also helps you to make the front and back even. You want to overlap the binding by 1/4 to 1/2 inch over the cover that you have glued in place.
use crystal effects to glue the long edges only. Hold for best adhesion - then open the book and make a small triangle cut out of the binding so that the flaps will be able to be glued to the inside of each cover.
Glue those flaps in now with Crystal effects.

Next it is time for the ribbon - Cut a piece of coordinating grossgrain ribbon that is 2 inches longer that the spine of the book. You are going to use mono adhesive to adhere this ribbong down the front of the book to cover the edge of the binding cardstock - (if you don't it tends to lift up and fray with use) The extra two inches should be one at the top and one at the bottom. adhere (Mono) to the inside of the covers.

Now it is time to put in the thong - if you have never seen one of these - then think about a Bible and how they usually have a ribbon book marker that is is the binding - this is what you are going to do -

cut a piece of ribbon (same as used before) that is six inches longer than the spine of the book - Use mono adhesive to adhere the top two inches to the inside of the front cover just beside the other ribbon. then open the book to the middle and place the ribbon there with the 4 extra inches hanging out the bottom. Use beads or other charms and attach to the bottom of the ribbon. tie an knot, sew or use mono adhesive - whatever is appropriate for your charm or beads. then trim the ribbon's end at an angle.

Now it is time for the inside covers - Use crystal effects around the edges and wipe with your finger - then quickly adhere so that the edges are all equal - you want to be able to see 1'4 inch of the edge all the way around. do this for the front and back inside covers

Now close the book and attach the small piece of "art" that you made for the front (the 3"x4") layered piece. this looks best if you center it between the ribbon binding and the right edge and place it higher than center -vertically.

You are almost done -
turn the book over to the back and sign -

This makes a wonderful gift.

I have done this with many different levels of stampers - It can be done even with beginners - it just takes more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Sticky Felt

You can get the sticky felt at Michael's. It runs 99 cents a sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Sticky Felt

You can get the sticky felt at Michael's. It runs 99 cents a sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Perfect timing! I just bought a Comp Book today to try and cover.

jjfaulk - THANK YOU SO MUCH for such detailed instructions! And the time you took to write it all down for us! That helps tremendously!

And thanks for the tips about the sticky felt, too. I had no idea that even existed (maybe I should study the SU catalog a bit more closely)! I can't wait to get started on this now. :lol: This is why I so love SCS!! - J.
Reply With Quote Likes