Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2004, 04:48 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default embossing technique

I am curious about an embossing technique that is in SU's 2003 2004 idea book. It is on pg 125 and uses SU's Asian art stamp. It seems that the embossing is a cut out of the stamp. Some how the embosssing is the reverse of the stamp. Is this a resist technique, triple embossing? I have been fascinated with this card and try as I may am unable to figure this one out any ideas?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:12 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is a very pretty card! As far as I can tell, the image is not reversed. It looks like they used the whole VersaMark pad and inked a square on the CS. Added gold embosing pwder, heated, and layered it 2-3 more times like this. The while the EP was still hot and pliable, it seems they stamped the image with basic black ink so as to make an impression in the gold EP. When you do this, you have to really press down hard on the stamp to get a good impression. I hope this helps!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:28 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have already tried the technique you described. Several times several different ways. No luck. I am an art teacher and artist so trying to figure out how things are done intrests me. This technique confounds me. It seems to be a reverse?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:38 AM   #4  

Default Embossing

This may not be it. Maybe they wet the paper and molded it over the stamp and let dry, then colored.
In HIm,
Shawna

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 06:01 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darttella
This is a very pretty card! As far as I can tell, the image is not reversed. It looks like they used the whole VersaMark pad and inked a square on the CS. Added gold embosing pwder, heated, and layered it 2-3 more times like this. The while the EP was still hot and pliable, it seems they stamped the image with basic black ink so as to make an impression in the gold EP. When you do this, you have to really press down hard on the stamp to get a good impression. I hope this helps!!
Curiosity got the best of me and I had to get out one of the old catalogs. I agree with Darttella! Except, according to the list of supplies used, there is no Versamark. I think they layered the gold embossing powder on top of the gold Encore that was stamped directly onto the paper. (Layer at least 3 times...) The image is then stamped onto the hot embossed rectangle with black CRAFT ink. (I have done this technique using StazOn, and it worked fine.)..You do have to press hard and slap that stamp down right away, as the layered embossing powder hardens very quickly.

And, yes, it's a great card! Asian Art is one of my favorite sets...I'll never part with it. I may have to try this card...but I'm into red/black/gold for my Asian cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 06:09 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissaparrish
Curiosity got the best of me and I had to get out one of the old catalogs. I agree with Darttella! Except, according to the list of supplies used, there is no Versamark. I think they layered the gold embossing powder on top of the gold Encore that was stamped directly onto the paper. (Layer at least 3 times...) The image is then stamped onto the hot embossed rectangle with black CRAFT ink. (I have done this technique using StazOn, and it worked fine.)..You do have to press hard and slap that stamp down right away, as the layered embossing powder hardens very quickly.

And, yes, it's a great card! Asian Art is one of my favorite sets...I'll never part with it. I may have to try this card...but I'm into red/black/gold for my Asian cards.
You're right... I totally missed the Gold Encore and the craft ink part! But you might be able to use VersaMark as well? Guess I should have read the list a supplies more closely. Heh!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 07:11 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is an awesome card! I am no help on how it is done. :oops: I will be watching and trying what is suggested. Thanks for asking!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

This card looks like the artist sprinkled the embossing powder on top of the cardstock mat. Not too thick, not too thin. Then she got her stamp ready by inking it up on the metallic pad (you can use any ink, craft or versa mark pad). Carefully hold the embossing powdered mat and heat it from the bottom. Keep the gun moving and you will see the powder melt on the top. Quickly turn off your heat tool, lay down the cardstock, grab your prepped stamp and stamp it into the melted powder. Let it cool just a bit and pull off your stamp. Easy. The harder you push your stamp into the melted powder, the more likely you are to see the cardstock underneath revealed. For more of a charm or medallion look, use a little more powder at the start and when you stamp, don't push it in too hard.
Hope this helps. It has never harmed any of my SU stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissaparrish
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darttella

I agree that this is how it's done. I did this technique once to make little Gold Medals for customers during the Olympics. I used the circle from the Little Shapes set, versamarked it onto CS, used Gold EP, heated, used EP againwhile it was still hot, then heated, and repeated 1 or 2 more times. I wanted it pretty thick because I didn't use ink on the stamp I put on it, so it just looked like an engraved peice of metal once I cut the circle out. It was pretty cool.

Judy
Attached Thumbnails
embossing technique-gold-medal.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

This thread is awesome!! I never cease to be amazed at the talent in this group!! Being a relatively new stamper, I read all of this and wonder what langage they are speaking.....LOL !! I have only embossed once and nothing of this nature! Will I ever understand all of this??????

Phyllis
Reply With Quote Likes