Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #41  
Lil' RAD Taquito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgkrupsky
Try this link to my step by step instructions. I use odorless mineral spirits but it's the same exact steps. This should help you see it clearly:
http://www.ashadeofblue.net/gallery/...e.php?pos=-565

If you have trouble with the link, let me know.

Gina
Thank you for the demo it is very clear and the end result is so nice. I think I am going to try this technique very soon
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

All these cards are so gorgeous!!! Thanks for starting this thread, I am feeling very encouraged.:-)

I ordered the Pure Colour Pencils from SU! with my Great Rewards, just to try it out. I have a feeling I'm going to be going to Mike's with a coupon for some Prismas though! Again, thanks all for sharing your great creations:-)

My blog:
http://stylishcreationsbydebbie.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

My Michael's store does carry the odorless mineral spirits (Mona Lisa brand) and stumps (made in China). I have been practicing with this technique, and I'm really trying to just do the line thing, coloring the edges and pulling toward the center but I'm finding that I have to almost color the entire image to get the color I want. What am I doing wrong? Here are the two cards I did over the weekend, but like I said, I had to color nearly the whole image to get the color to spread nicely.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
&cat=500&ppuser=14563

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 07:05 AM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachbound
I inherted some VeriThin prismas from my college graduate son... will they work as well as the regular kind?
They should work just fine; I'd caution to be careful about laying down a "sharp" line of colour with them though. If you lay a sharp line, it'll be harder to blend, so just use a light touch.

Hope This Helps,
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #45  
First To Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen9853
They should work just fine; I'd caution to be careful about laying down a "sharp" line of colour with them though. If you lay a sharp line, it'll be harder to blend, so just use a light touch.

Hope This Helps,
Jen
Thanks, that's just what I was thinking.

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #46  
New Mommy

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyderrogers
Ok, all of you have shown some great examples of this and explaining how but can you tell me where to get the Gamsol and stump? Does Michael's carry them?

I bought my Prisma colored pencils there and I love the smooth way they color so I'm totally sold on those. Also, does anyone use their watercolor pencils or do you just use the colored pencils with the Gamsol?
Donna ~
I got my gamsol from Inky Antics -- it's a small bottle that will last you FOREVER -- and got my stumps (and Prismas) from Michael's, with coupons of course! Gotta be honest.....I'm still getting used to this whole technique and I'm not too fond of it yet. I do love how bright the colors are though. I'll keep practicing!
*Oh, and if you order from IA....get their Ultra Clean!! It's THE BEST stamp cleaner ever!*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

........ but can you tell me where to get the Gamsol and stump? Does Michael's carry them?
You can find the stumps at Michael's. In the section for oil paints and brushes.
Gamsol is a brand name for odorless mineral spirits - some folks swear that you have to use that brand. I bought Mona Lisa brand at Michaels. The front of the bottle says Odorless Paint Thinner. The ingredients list says Mineral Spirits.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #48  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkincolorado
Donna ~
I got my gamsol from Inky Antics -- it's a small bottle that will last you FOREVER -- and got my stumps (and Prismas) from Michael's, with coupons of course! Gotta be honest.....I'm still getting used to this whole technique and I'm not too fond of it yet. I do love how bright the colors are though. I'll keep practicing!
*Oh, and if you order from IA....get their Ultra Clean!! It's THE BEST stamp cleaner ever!*
Jennifer,
Make sure you have a well saturated stump and work the color in a circular motion toward the center. See if that helps you like it more. LOL. I know what you mean, sometimes new techniques take a while to click.
Have fun!
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Jennifer! Don't I know you from somewhere? Gee, I wonder where?

I agree with you, it's been a difficult trick to master. That's why I was wondering where you could find the "proper" tools. I got the cleaner from IA and totally agree with you, it's a great cleaner. I picked up the pencils with a coupon too. Gotta love those.

Dumb me always forget's to go to the artist's section in Michael's. It seems I have a difficult time getting past the scrap and stamping sections. I'll have to go exploring tomorrow afternoon when I'm over there. Yeah!! A good excuse to spend more money. DH will be SO pleased!

"The value of persistent prayer is not that he will hear us...but that we will finally hear him." William McGill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Default Great Tips!

Quote:

Hi Jennifer! Don't I know you from somewhere? Gee, I wonder where?

I agree with you, it's been a difficult trick to master. That's why I was wondering where you could find the "proper" tools. I got the cleaner from IA and totally agree with you, it's a great cleaner. I picked up the pencils with a coupon too. Gotta love those.

Dumb me always forget's to go to the artist's section in Michael's. It seems I have a difficult time getting past the scrap and stamping sections. I'll have to go exploring tomorrow afternoon when I'm over there. Yeah!! A good excuse to spend more money. DH will be SO pleased!

Thanks Ladies as I cannot wait to try this technique! K NOW to look for theMicheals Coupons.. I get AC Mooore ones in the Wednesday Paper but no Michaels. Hmmph!! Are they ever online to print out? Where's the cheapest pencils available and will our SU! Pure color ones work??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Talking Ok I got teh stumps at Micheals Bu tthey have never heard fo Gamsoll ?? Enfield CT

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsmomthestamper
Thanks Ladies as I cannot wait to try this technique! K NOW to look for theMicheals Coupons.. I get AC Mooore ones in the Wednesday Paper but no Michaels. Hmmph!! Are they ever online to print out? Where's the cheapest pencils available and will our SU! Pure color ones work??

What's up with this?? I bought something & I am looking for feedback from you Ladies to see if I can use it..it's called
"Low-odor Pre-Tested Thinner" that's what they ladies there said to get... I don't know if I should trust them. The ingredients are:
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES..
Does this mean thinner like I htink it does? It is the Grumnacher Brand and was $3.99 for a 2 1/2 ounce bottle it's as close as they thought I could get. I can't believe every other Michaels has it but the ones here. I live in MA and hauled down there..didn't know where the A.C Moore was to try there then saw the sign from the highway on the road home...to late. I wanted stumps made in Tiawan but there were not any........I bought a small package of stumps for $1.79. Anywa I apreciate allof the help andpencils form Luckygirl. :}Great trade thanks.
Also I bought four pencils on sale Prisma color ones sold individually for .89 cents each, not sure it was a great deal. Good enough for a beginner. I have water color paper, now should my image be stamped in staz-on on the water color or regualr SU! ink? TYIA for all of your help ...k
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #52  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsmomthestamper
What's up with this?? I bought something & I am looking for feedback from you Ladies to see if I can use it..it's called
"Low-odor Pre-Tested Thinner" that's what they ladies there said to get... I don't know if I should trust them. The ingredients are:
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES..
Does this mean thinner like I htink it does? It is the Grumnacher Brand and was $3.99 for a 2 1/2 ounce bottle it's as close as they thought I could get. I can't believe every other Michaels has it but the ones here. I live in MA and hauled down there..didn't know where the A.C Moore was to try there then saw the sign from the highway on the road home...to late. I wanted stumps made in Tiawan but there were not any........I bought a small package of stumps for $1.79. Anywa I apreciate allof the help andpencils form Luckygirl. :}Great trade thanks.
Also I bought four pencils on sale Prisma color ones sold individually for .89 cents each, not sure it was a great deal. Good enough for a beginner. I have water color paper, now should my image be stamped in staz-on on the water color or regualr SU! ink? TYIA for all of your help ...k
It shouldn't make any difference if you use staz-on or regular SU ink as the Odorless Mineral Spirits dissolve the wax of the pencil to move it around and it doesn't seem to affect the image however stamped. I'm not sure how the watercolor paper will work.....if it is really bumpy like the normal WC paper, I wouldn't think it would work that well. My paper isn't totally smooth like SU white....just a little bit of tooth and it works well for me.

As to whether the Low-odor Pre-Tested Thinner will work or not, I can't say. I purchased Mona Lisa OMS from Michaels. They didn't have that, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Gamsol missing in action

Nope nothing called mona Lisa's I had that in my notes to look for as a back up when down there in Connecticut.. So how about if I use SU! paper, what kind do you think is best? Thanks K :}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 08:44 AM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

I'd go ahead and try the SU.....not the watercolor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

Ditto- try a smoother paper, not watercolor paper. I have stumps made in China b/c I could not find the ones from Tiawan, but will buy Tiawan stumps when I find them so I can see the difference for myself (wasn't going to let stumps stand in the way of my trying this technique, LOL!).

Kim, I just don't know about Gamsol alternatives so I'm hesitant to say whether what you have will work or not. When in doubt, I try to go with whatever supplies are on SCS and used by SCS'ers, hence, I ordered Gamsol from DickBlick.com but you can also get it from inky antics and you only need a little, so the IA bottle will last you a long time.

I know you probably don't want to wait for yet another component to ship to you to try the technique, but I do know this: some art supplies are inherently more "dangerous" than others, and paint thinners, some pigments and such are just that sort of animal. So if you do use what you have, make sure it's in a well ventilated area, away from kiddies and animals, and wash your hands well after use. I mean, it can't be THAT dangerous or else you wouldn't be able to get it in a store , but some of the tools we use demand a certain degree of respect, and this is definately one of them.

Maybe someone else knows what it is you have and can offer some good insight.

Best to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking Thanks Adreinne

I will try this stuff, it is low oder, has non actually but I did go to Inky Antics and ordered theh correct stuff.. I have been waiting long enough . Thanks for the pencils you sent me and I'll let you know if I get the time away from the kids and animal..thanks for the reminder we have 2 small dogs, a Pug & a Peke a live-in Bunny and a Guinea pig... I still think I killed our Cockatiel years ago by using varnish and stain in the basement...I think the odour drifted upstairs so I'll go out on the deck under cover for this tecnique. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness in helping me get started Lady A!! Inky stinkyhugs K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 05:38 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Default My frined is an Artist adn here are her hints fo rme when I asked her

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Maniac II
easy? I am so challenged by where the shadows, etc are when coloring...I see that the uploads you all have done are beautiful. Please let me know if this is really going to work for me??? Please!
I asked Lucy about hints for shading with the Gamsol and Prisma Pencils.. I am copying her reply here to share with anyone else who is challenged as I am. I finally got rmy Inky Antics (they were fast to ship actually!!) order now I need time and guts to try the method.. Wish me luck. KimK

whats GamSol?? prismacolors are GREAT.. hints.. start very LIGHT -- shade the area with a light layer -(its easier to add than take away) --- then try it... imagine light coming from the left or right of the character or object.

I ALWAYS have light coming from upper right to lower left.. its just habit.. then SHADE a bit darker where the "underneath" area of the arm, vase, animal would be.. if I was shading a bear -- I would shade MORE under it's tummy, on the left of his legs, a bit under his tail and chin, a bit under the ears - it makes them POP forward.

You can use the same color or even a touch of dark grey -- practice on a "rough" on first.. its blending.. as i said LAYERS -- add a bit at a time.. then you get it uniformly 'shaped' and more 3D. Put a spot of white on eyes.. if you do 2 dots and the smily face like i do - its cute.. look at my moose dog's eyes on my site.. www.artforkidz.com you could even shine a light on a stuffed animal and see where the darks fall.. for kids and things with clothes - add patterns - stripes and polka dots..

leaves.. same as above -- but add the grey shadow at the END point that hangs down off the leaf - it makes it appear to bend under slightly.. Leave LIGHT/hightlight areas on the top center somewhere.. flowers.. same -- but also darken a bit in the center where the pollen is -- makes it fall UNDER the center circle of the flower. where petals OVERLAP - put a shadow ON the lower petal which is under the top one -- it'll fall away and look 3D.

*****Honestly - shine a light on things - a strong light -- it really makes the shadows appear -- and that's what you need.***** You can even add WHITE hightlights if you think there isn't enough.. BLURR your eyes (like mom told you never to do cuz you'd get stuck like that) ha ha - and you'll see less detail - but MORE light and dark.. understand? Go VERY gently though with rubber stamping color.. less is definetly better!
Reply With Quote Likes