Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2005, 05:09 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gamsol Question.

I very interested in trying the Gamsol technique.. I am quite familiar with odorless mineral spirits from my days when I painted with oils (I think that may have been in the dark ages) ;) . Gamsol is a high quality odorless mineral spirit made by Gamblin art products.. it is a solvent used for thinning mediums (like oil paint) and for cleaning brushes.

I also know that since Gamsol is a solvent is works great on aiding the blending of non-watercolor pencils like the Prismacolor pencils (or wax crayons as they are often refered to) as they cut through the wax and aid in color blending and movement of color.

The results I have seen are stunning and I would like to give it a whirl... my question are:

1. Gamsol is a solvent and as such wouldn't that change the acid free nature of your project (concern for scrapbooks)

2. Do you use Gamsol on any other pigments other than the Prismacolor pencils (i.e. can it work with markers, pastels/chalks, inkpads, water-color pencils, etc)

3. Any other hints / tips you could suggest.

4. Distilled alcohol from the pharmacy (not rubbing alcohol - I mean the purer distilled form) is also used in thinning pigments - will this work in lieu of Gamsol as a "safer" solvent than mineral spirits.

Thanks in advance for any help / tips / advice / or comments you could add to aid me in understanding the use and nature of Gamsol.

Kathleen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 05:20 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Kathleen,
I use Grumbachers pre-tested Odorless Thinner and it works great. I make sure to soak the stump before I apply it to the area that has the pencil on it. It's best to go from light to dark colors when you use the pencils. I only use Prisma color pencils. I think I remember reading that this technique does not work well with other pencils. Also, it won't work with watercolor pencils. Do a search in the forums on this topic. There was a lot of talk about it some time ago.

As far as it changing the acid free nature of the paper, I don't know. I thought the same thing and therefore only use the thinner on cards.

Asela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 07:04 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Gamsol and Acid Free

Hi Kathleen:

I've been using Gamsol for the last five years and it's my favorite technique for coloring because the results. I only use it on cards and therefore never questioned the acid-free point. But wouldn't this also be the same question to any other coloring medium like watercolor pencils and oil based pencils without using the gamsol. See I do mostly cards so I don't even think about it. As far as using Gamsol to any other thinning medium, Debbie Gimel who created or introduced this technique was the one who suggested using only Gamsol because it was an "Artist Grade" mineral spirits but I've used other odorless mineral spirits (used for strictly for art) and don't see a difference. I've never tried the distilled alcohol but now I'm curious about that. What I would do if I wanted to used this technique in my scrapbook is scan the colored image, cut it out and then use it like a sticker. Of course you have to watch those copyright laws and your printer ink must be acid free....hmm maybe too complicated.

Cecilia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #4  
CNR
Cardstock Collector

Smile Gamsol

I thought this should be brought back up to the top. I have had a couple people write me asking .... where is it? This was the only way I knew how to direct them.

Hope this info helps you. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #5  
Duchess of Dork

I have wondered about some of this, too. I can't buy Odorless Mineral Spirits at my craft stores (Michael's OR Hobby Lobby). What are other options? I don't want to spend a lot of money to try this. Any ideas?

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Mama
I have wondered about some of this, too. I can't buy Odorless Mineral Spirits at my craft stores (Michael's OR Hobby Lobby). What are other options? I don't want to spend a lot of money to try this. Any ideas?

Lori
Michael's sells odorless mineral spirits under the Mona Lisa brand. The container is white plastic, and I believe there are two sizes. I've seen it at stores both in Georgia and Virginia, so maybe you just missed it?

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Wink

Hi I am very new here- well, as this is my first post but just so cool I could help anyway... Odorless mineral spirits are also sold in Lowe's and Home Depot type stores and are not expensive- (about a 2 oz bottle/jar for about 2 bucks)
Our craft stores here also do not have it- this is how I know another source of where to get it- also here is a great site about using the mineral spirits- maybe it can answer a few more of your questions...
hmm- okay first post and all, need to maybe later introduce myself and then figure out how to "plug in" a site- LOL
at any rate here ya go by long hand...
http://www.sanford-artedventures.com...gimbel_mp.html
Hope it works
~Luv2CUSmile
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default alternative to Gamsol

I found Gamsol (the brand name) at a local artist supply store. I find it very expensive. The art store also had it's own name brand of mineral spirits at a much lower cost. I tried it and it seems to work really well. Just have to practice more with my colours and technique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 06:19 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default What exactly is the "stump"?

Hello,
Could someone please tell me what the "stump" is and where I can find it? Thank ou1 :smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 06:28 AM   #10  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Stumps are coiled fibrous paper used to blend chalks, charcoal and other mediums. They are also known as tortillions and can be found at both craft and art stores.

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a great thread. My question is prompted by the original question - searching for an alternative to mineral spirits.

So how toxic is mineral spirits? Well, let's say it is not good for you.

Here's is an excerpt from an article on mineral spirits and toxicity:

"Inhalation: Exposure to vapor or mist is possible. Short-term inhalation toxicity is low. Breathing small amounts during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Breathing large amounts may be harmful. Symptoms are more typically seen at air concentrations exceeding the recommended exposure limits. Symptoms of exposure may include irritation (nose, throat, respiratory tract).

Eye Contact: Exposure may cause mild eye irritation. Symptoms may include stinging, tearing and redness.

Skin Contact: Exposure may cause mild skin irritation. Prolonged or repeated exposure may dry the skin. Symptoms may include redness, burning, drying and cracking and skin burns. Skin absorption is possible but harmful effects are not expected from this route of exposure under normal conditions of handling and use.

Ingestion: Single dose oral toxicity is low. Swallowing small amounts during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful. Symptoms may include gastrointestinal irritation (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) and headache, unconsciousness). This material can enter the lungs during swallowing or vomiting and cause lung inflammation and/or damage.

Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Pre-existing lung disorders (e.g., asthma-like conditions) may be aggravated by exposure to the material. Preexisting skin disorders may be aggravated by exposure to this material"

Nothing to leave out where your children can find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Default Difference between paper stumps and tortillions~

I was prowling around the art store when I found a package of tortillions. I had always thought they were the same as paper stumps but they're not. The stumps seem to be compressed paper, while the tortillions are rolled paper. I bought a pack to play with and the tortillions give a different look than the stumps (when used with Turpenoid and Prismacolor Pencils.)

I have some questions, however, and would love to get any help or advice I can.

I find it very difficult to sharpen my stumps. I use emory boards and this great little sanding tool I found at the art store. But the stump is always round. This is fine for large areas but its pretty useless otherwise. Any advice on how to get a nice point on my stumps?

Also, do you just use the tortillions until they wear out? Do you sharpen them or what? I notice they are much easier to wipe clean than the stumps - so do they just last and last or what?

I just read what I wrote and it sounds kind of comical - didn't mean it to! :rolleyes: So please if you have any advice for me I'd be so grateful!!!!

Thanks!
Petunia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 02:57 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I too would love more info on how to sharpen the stumps. I about ruined mine when I tried
Trudy Angel #1952
My blog http://trudystreasures.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudence
I too would love more info on how to sharpen the stumps. I about ruined mine when I tried
I think you're supposed to rub them on sandpaper to clean/sharpen them. You can get lead sharpeners from the aisle where they keep the fancy pencils.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes