Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2005, 05:33 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I tried

OK, everyone gave me wonderful advice, and I mounted my first stamp,but, I still had a problem. The stamp was not positioned properly so when I took it off to readjust it,the foam tore in two places. I think it is ok, as I got it back together, but what can I glue it with? I was not impressed. When I stamp the image, no excess rubber shows, so I think it is cut out enough. Also, all the edges look straight from the sides, so I am assuming it is ok.

Also how does one cut straight, and how do you align it on the wooden block? Just so it looks even on all sides?

Also, no ink is adhering to the middle of the stamp. What is wrong?
THanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:44 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

I always put the sticker on the front before positioning the rubber on the back. My preference is to align it in the middle of the block of wood, but some stampers like to position it in the corner I think. As for cutting, you just cut as straight as you can. I love to cut stamps, but mine certainly don't look perfect on the block. The image that comes off on the paper is what is important. Lastly, if the image isn't getting inked in the middle, are you stamping on a solid surface and not a folding table? Those tables have some "give" that cause the stamp not to touch the paper in the middle. You might also look at the rubber after inking it to make sure that all the image has ink on it. Hope this was helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:46 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

You may want to give your demo a call. It is so much easier to diagnose problems and solve them in person than by trying to interpret stuff online. Your demo should have no problem helping you...if she does, get a new one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:47 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Oh, read your last question wrong. I don't know why ink wouldn't be adhering to the middle of the stamp. Seems like there was a thread on that subject yesterday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:49 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Don't Pull the stamp off the wood!!!

Pulling the stamp off the wood does terrible things to the stamp (including riping the foam)! Make sure you Microwave the stamp first for about 8 seconds - it loosens the glue so your stamp doesn't rip. Then you can readjust. As for cutting, just make sure that there isn't too much non-image rubber showing and you won't have ghost prints. As for the middle of your stamp, make sure you ink it up really good - turn it over and check that the whole image has ink on it then stamp away. For big stamps such as backgrounds, you can ink the stamp and place the paper on it instead of it on the paper, then use a brayer or your hand to push the paper onto the stamp. Or you just have to make sure you push the stamp all the way down. A surface with give (such as a plastic work table) may not be the best bet and could be the reason your stamped image doesn't come out clean. Try a harder surface. Well, there is much more advice about this around the forum, but I hope I helped a little
Good luck and don't give up ~ your own creations are the best reward!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:55 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

A couple of tips:

If you ever need to unmount and reposition your stamp, pop it in the micro for about 8-10 seconds and it will peel up easily and you can reposistion it.

As far as aligning on the block, the best way is to really compare it to the sticker and try and place it as closely as possible to the image you see. It just takes a bit of practice.

Ink not adhering to the middle? Try smooshing your stamp and rubbing it around on the pad first, really try and ink it up good, just not so hard you get the wood dirty, then stamp it off on scratch paper, do it again, if necessary. It might take a couple of times. There is a coating on the rubber that can, but not always, interfere right at the beginning. If it is a large stamp then you can flip it over and ink it upside by tapping your stamp pad onto the stamp and doing the same thing.

Does this all make sense?

And, finally, I think a call to your demo is in order, I really do, to see if she will help you out. I don't want you to get discouraged and frustrated when it is actually a really simple process. She can also call Stampin' Up and get you a new image for the one that had the foam tear. They will send out a new one to replace just that one.

Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:55 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

When I started stamping with SU products, I ALWAYS lined up everything in the middle of the block. THEN when I got to 2-step stamping, I found I started moving images up/down to the side--whatever made sense--so I could readily align the stamps. THEN I transitioned on some sets where I new I would use the phrases more than the images--cutting the phrase from the main stamp and mounting them on the sides of blocks or on separate blocks all together for easier inking. What ever works for you is what you should do! PS-- you can always remount your stamps by placing them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. You can re-cut them and then just stick them back where you want them.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:57 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

for re-gluing: Crystal Effects works really well.

For straight cuts: this means not cutting on a curve...for example, if you have a circle stamp, cut many small straight lines, nipping away at the rubber rather than following the line of the image. I attatched an image below.

For inking in the center: make sure your pad is well inked. Sometimes they sink in the middle if they are dry. If that is not the case, exchange it for a new one as it is defective.

For lining up the stamp on a wood block: put the sticker on first. I keep the Stampin' Up! trademark on it and line it up with the bottom of the wood to make sure it is straight. Then I trim and mount my stamp. This can take some time. Make sure it matches the sticker (should be a mirror image). I look at it from the side so I can see if the top of the sticker lines up with the top of the stamp, then look at the bottom to make sure the sides are lined up. I'm pretty picky, so do what works for you.

Good luck!!
Nancy
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

What's really going to help is using the right scissors for the job. Stampin' Up! sells a craft and rubber scissors specifically for cutting the rubber. It cuts through it like butter. Truly, it does. I agree you should check with your demo and ask her to give you some tips about mounting your first stamps. Once you get some tips you should have no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

thANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE. i HAVE CHECKED WITH MY DEMO AND SHE IS GOING TO RETURN THE STAMP FOR ME.

I tried the other stamps in the set and made out fine...but may have to invest in the rubber scissors....

Great help...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:01 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I couldnt live without my SU scissors. You wont regret the purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I actually do things slightly different. I trim the stamp and then position it lightly in place. I hold the sticker sticky side up above the rubber to see if it is positioned right. Am I the only one that does it that way?
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Kim, I do the same thing. Works great, especially for those tricky stamps where you can't tell how to line the sticker up. Works like a charm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Me, too..........some of them are too quirky to try and figure out without the sticker helping out!

Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Great idea!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 06:40 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I also mount then match the sticker upside down to verify placement! I found this works best to prevent stamping mistakes.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Wilson
I trim the stamp and then position it lightly in place. I hold the sticker sticky side up above the rubber to see if it is positioned right. Am I the only one that does it that way?
Me too! I always position the rubber first, then the sticker.
Reply With Quote Likes