Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with watercolor technique

I've been trying for the last year to make my watercoloring look somewhat good. I have tried watercolor pencils and paints and all different kinds of cardstock...still my watercolor cards look awful. Can anyone give me some advice?
TIA
Kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi,

Have you tried the Aqua Painters yet? I love my Aqua Painters!!! You can use either re-inkers or smoosh down on the lid of your inkpads to get the ink for the paintbrush. I also heat emboss the stamped image and it helps to keep the paint from going where I don't want it to.

Good luck!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hi Kathy,

Watercoloring CAN be tricky; but once you get the hang of it, it's addicting.

I teach a Watercolor Effects class for my customer base, and have found that the following technique gives beautiful effects and is virtually foolproof. You will need watercolor pencils and an Aqua Painter.

Stamp a sketchy-type image (Summer by the Sea, Seaside Sketches, etc.). Using watercolor pencils, LIGHTLY color in the image as desired. By lightly, I mean shade it in using light strokes. Kind of like when you color with a crayon; if you press hard on the crayon you will get a heavy waxy coverage but if you press lightly you will get a soft coverage. You want the soft coverage here.

After you are satisfied, take your aqua painter and (on a piece of scratch paper) get the water flowing and then brush over your image. The watercolor pencils colors will blend and the brush will move some of the color around giving the watercolor effect.

After you've played with this technique a while, try taking one of your watercolor pencils, scribble on a scratch sheet, and then pick up some of the color with the aqua painter and paint it on your image. You can get deep color or light color with this technique, depending on how much water you use.

Have fun with this, and let me know if this helps. Watercoloring does take practice, but if you can just sigh, toss the CS and try again, you will master this in no time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default Watercolor techniques

Keep in mind that you can use a number of your resources for watercoloring: markers (just scribble some color on a faom or plastic plate for your palette); dye ink pads (squeeze the pad so ink gets onto the cover and you have an instant ink well!); or re-inkers (squeeze a drop into the well of a plastic palette using your favorite colors). With any of these you'll need water to dilute your color and clean your brush. I've used the AquaPainters and have been less impressed with them. I like some good brushes, espeically a good wash brush and some detail brushes. Watercolor is meant to be soft; start with light shades and blend as much as your can. IT's easy to overwhelm your piece with too much color, so start light and build in your intensity. Watercolor pencils are great too, using either a blender pen or your brushes and water to do your blending.You don't have to stay in the lines; allow your brush to go outside a little for some light color or shadowing. And you will use different shades to get the effects you like. RubberStamper has had some good articles on watercoloring that would be helpful. Most of all: PLAY and HAVE FUN with it. That's the way you'll learn to enjoy the technique and find out what works best for you and gives you the best results!! IT's one of my favorites and I learned with cheapie markers, foam plates and good brushes (I got on sale) way back in '94.... YOu don't need to invest in newfangled stuff to do this! It's a great way to use what you have, be it markers or dye pads.
Marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cindy (starlitstudio) wrote a superb tutorial - check out the Resources page!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:07 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks you for your wonderful replies! I'm off to play. LOL

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes