Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #1  
GIL
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help closing post it note holder

Hi-I just was making some post it note holders (using a template and cardstock from a kit that was sold at Michaels-not sure if they still sell them I bought it awhile ago). Anyways, the notebook does not seem to stay closed and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to make a closure for it? I would use magnets-but if I sell these at a craft fair-I think it would be too expensive to purchase so many.Any ideas?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I sold post it note holders at a Holiday craft fair this past year, and I didn't have a closure for them. Is it a side opening cover (like a book), or a bottom opening cover (like a box clipboard)? Mine was side opening, and I thought about using ribbon or a closure with paper. If it is bottom opening, you could still try ribbon, or perhaps those bungy-cord closures that can go all the way around the cover?

Just some ideas...sorry if I'm rambling!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Depends a bit on your design as to whether it would look OK but a simple "hitch" fastening is easy to make. You just need a brad, a punched circle and some thick thread or thin cord. I've attached an example of a gift card holder I did recently with that kind of fastener - same principle.

For the inside, I laid one end of the thread inside the back cover and used a wet glue to stick a punched circle over to hold it securely in place. You just wind the thread once round behind the punched circle that's held on by the brad and friction keeps it in place.

HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
Re: help closing post it note holder-coffeegch.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #4  
GIL
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. The post it note holder could close either way-bottom closure or side. I have a question about the hitch fastener with the brad and circle. Do you glue one circle to the back of the cover and one with the brad and circle to the front cover? Just want to make sure I understand how to do it? then the thread gets wound around both circles?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I've been re-using the thin magnet sheets advertizers are sending out lately.
I use a 1/2" circle punch, wouldn't use your favorite most expencive punch though in case it does break. So far I've not broke mine using it on the thin magnet sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Default post it note book

I made dozens for craft fairs this past year. I found that if I scored the folds really well and took off about 20 sheets, it would stay closed just fine. I didnt want to put anything on there that took time to open cause I figure people need to write stuff down quickly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #7  
GIL
Matboard Maniac

Thanks again everyone-great suggestions. I know if it is too time consuming to open and close, people would not tend to want to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GILView Post
I have a question about the hitch fastener with the brad and circle. Do you glue one circle to the back of the cover and one with the brad and circle to the front cover? Just want to make sure I understand how to do it? then the thread gets wound around both circles?
I glue mine so that one end is permanently attached to the holder - you'd risk losing the thread otherwise. Glue one end of the thread to the back of the holder, the punched circle I mentioned there is to neaten it and make a stronger bond since the thread is then stuck to two surfaces. The one on the front is not glued, it's attached with the brad and you just hitch the thread round under the circle.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 863 Likes on 286 Posts

On many of my notebooks, post-it holders and such I've used clear velcro dots (self adhesive) that I got from walmart. It requires adding some sort of "flap" or buckle type piece of card stock. I permanently attach part of the flap (make it so it coordinates/is incorporated with the cover design) glue a dot or portion of a dot to the flap and a dot or portion of one to the front of the cover ( I stick the the hook and loop together and then close it-it makes it so that the velcro pieces are aligned perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes