Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin on Tiles ...

I have been wanting to try this project but I don't know what markers to use since the new catalog doesn't have them anymore ... I know you can use the StazOn pads, but what do you use for detail color???? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I liked to leave mine black & white for the fine detailed ones. For the bold stamps I used different Staz on colors. For coloring in I saved my old blender pens and use them in the staz on pads or you can use Sharpie Markers.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I use sharpies and fabrico markers to color the images on my tiles. Make sure the stazon is completely dried, though, because otherwise it will blur when you color it. I've used my heat gun to set the stazon, and it's worked great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #4  
sjb
Rubber Obsessor

I too have used the staz on to stamp, let it dry and use sharpies to color in. The new pastel colors are wonderful. I even tested under running water to be sure no sealer was needed. My girlfriends coaster still looks great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #5  
sjb
Rubber Obsessor

Another thing you can do....Purchase a bigger tile, with the glossy finish. Stamp something small in the corner with staz-on, and use a dry erase marker to leave notes for your family. I purcased some 8 x 10 tiles at Lowes (Unfortunatley, they were discontinued) and did this. They make wonderful gifts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Here you go - it is a cut and paste - with some extra stuff added from another post of mine

2X2 tiles

Usually come as a "sheet" of tiles of about 36 of them - all stuck together with a type of putty - I have only bought squares but they do come in a variety of shapes...if you can find them

OK with the little ones - I use DH's utility shears (shhhh...don't tell him) to cut them apart and get them close to the tile as I can. I then use some sandpaper to sand down the edges...

Here is the thing - THIS IS JUST FOR THE SMALL 2X2 SHINEY TILES...

Stamp your image with Staz-on and then use your heat gun to heat set the staz-on - after this step THEN color in using your sharpies - if you don't heat -set the outline image first then the sharpie can pick up the Staz-on color (which when you are doing outlines you are usually using the black) and muddy the color a bit.

I don't bake them since they are just going to be used as magnets - likewise I don't seal them - I have tried to seal them in the past but have found that even with heat -setting them with my heat gun depending on the sealer it can cause the image to run or feather. Also if for some reason it drops or the sealent "cracks" and chips off the image goes with it to (found this out thanks to my daughter)

I have popped them in the microwave for about 30 seconds just to heat them up to "bake" the image to the tile - works pretty well and I haven't been able to rub off the image with those as opposed to the ones I don't do anything with (sometimes the sharpie color can rub off if you rub hard enough)

I use my glue gun to attach the magnet to the back but you could use CE.

for the edges I have used tacky tape and microbeads, others have used a paint pen to make it nicer, some I haven't done anything with

For the TUMBLED TILES for coasters

You can find these in home stores - usually comes in a a small box of 9 for about ~$6 - usually by the name Bottochino (?) or Regalto (?) or some variation. I usually sit on the floor and go thru a few boxes and make a box of nice ones - since they are tumbled tiles some can have divots and small cracks in them to add to the character of the tile. These tiles are porous to a point so they will "soak" up the ink used to make any images. They will also soak up water from a glass hence why they are popular for coasters.

This is what i do - everyone has their own little quirk or way to do the tiles

Stamp images - heat set with embossing gun - color in with sharpies - bake at about 300 for about 10-15 minutes to "set" the images and colors - attach cork, felt or rubber feet to the back with hot glue or some other type of epoxy and you are done... (BTW I have found thin cork circles at the $ store and thicker ones at the home stores - most come as adhesive - I usually add a small drop of CE before I stick it one just to make sure it is going to stay)

If you are just using staz-on and sharpies for the tumbled tile all you need to do is bake it - no sealent needed and trust me I have used a bunch of different cleaning supplies on my coasters (my daughter ruined a few with an ink pen so I have used those as testers for a bunch of different things) and the image is NOT budging - the only thing that has made the image budge even slightly after being baked is a solvent remover (Like Staz-on cleaner or nail polish remover) and even that you have to scrub to get the image to budge and then it only makes it duller and doesn't completely remove the image.

I would highly suggest baking it so that the image is heat set into the tile material - I have some that I didn't heat set and they do just fine but it really only takes a few minutes to do the baking step - I usually do a bunch all at once and just bake them all at once.

If you are using pastels or some other water soluable materials for coloring in then you would need to seal it somehow - many people have reccomended Patrice Nimrocks (with a blue label - can be found at Micheals and Wal-mart) However since I own almost every Staz-on color and every color of sharpie (even the new pastel ones - it is a sickness with me) I just stamp - color and bake and no problems

Hope this helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Thanks sooooo much ... I have been wanting to do this project for awhile ... I don't know why sharpies never dawned on me ... I have a ton. well thank you for all your input!!

ttfn~
Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used chalk on my tumbled tiles....then I sealed them with a clear Krylon spray. The color stays pretty bright even after you seal them.

Jana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default tumbled tile suggestion

my friends & i have done this project as a group & i have a few suggestions...

1) we used stazon pads & colored with sharpies. no baking, no sealer, nothing, all worked well this route. this is especially nice when using the stipple rose for example, the colors make the flowers seem real.

2) we used stazon pads for the outline, then colored with chalks using just our fingers (no blender pens) or colored pencils. When happy with the results sealed with Krylon low odor clear matte finish. the finger chalks worked so well on those seashore sketches or the lighthouses!

*HERE'S A GREAT TIP: if you are using chalks, you can wipe off any color you don't like by just using a damp paper towel. if using pencils, erase! as long as you use stazon for this one, it doesn't smear or anything!

3) we tried using the sealer first & stamping with any kind of ink pad (ie: ancient page). the main thing was to seal first to keep those other inks from bleeding in and this way you get a lot more color combos for the outlines. this works well when using two-step stamps where you want better color options. (sorry, i don't remember if we sealed again or not, so you might have to experiment)

good luck! & save any of those tumbled tiles that are messed up for trying new techniques or how a color might look.

by the way...home depot told us that those bottochino(?) tiles may be discontined in the near future. also, we bought 9 in a box for $6.00 but found that they sell 50 in a box for only $18

deb aka...gladys
Reply With Quote Likes