Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wet embossing refers to using pigment ink or versamark + embossing powder to create a raised image. In other words, wet embossing = heat/thermal embossing.

Dry embossing, a.k.a. pressure embossing, refers to the use of a template and a stylus to create a raised image on the paper surface. On occasion, I've also heard it referred to as "de-bossing".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Wet embossing refers to using pigment ink or versamark + embossing powder to create a raised image. In other words, wet embossing = heat/thermal embossing.

Dry embossing, a.k.a. pressure embossing, refers to the use of a template and a stylus to create a raised image on the paper surface. On occasion, I've also heard it referred to as "de-bossing".
I guess I agree with that. I don't know what you would call the paste embossing then......it's still fun!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmilingDaisy
ok, what is wet embossing?
I would assume she is talking about heat embossing -- stamping with a slow-drying pigment ink, sprinkling the image with embossing powder, and heating it.

Interesting... Julie's post is showing up as being 12 minutes before mine, yet it wasn't there when I went to type my response. Hope the forum gremlins aren't at work again!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"

Last edited by row4d; 04-24-2005 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Cool Outdated Techniques

I agree with the posts above...I too rarely use my deco edge scissors...I tend to tear (with my hands) edges all the time.

I tend to slowly try new techniques...I love making background papers.

I rarely use my watercolor pencils though...but that might be because I don't like to color in too much. I do hope SU updates these pencils with the new catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPLN4
I'm very new to stamping.
I like to use brads, crimp paper, pop dots, metal framed tags, and gift tags.
Haven't used ribbon yet, have used paper raffia though.
Hope those things aren't "out".
I'm working my way up to eyelets.
Don't worry S, I will make you an eyelet girl on Sat!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

I've only ever heard this called heat embossing.

Quote:

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 09:36 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

I was thinking of the edged scissors also but I do use them once in a while still.

Susan

ttp://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=15458
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

bump to see what everyone is thinking!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 01:24 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Good idea to bump this. I was laughing when I read how old it was -- and it's still pretty true with me. I seldom use decorative scissors anymore -- just deckle and some scallops now and then. I will always love dry embossing. It's just a question of getting stuff out. Regular embossing will never be old with me, but I use gel pens A LOT for the same effect much of the time. Eyelets were not as popular anymore -- with all the loud hammering -- but along came the Crop-a-Dile! I think the fancy corner punches are kind of "out" right now (not that they don't come back around). Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

Die cut shapes are huge in scrapbooking, the Quickutz is the most popular diecutter, but there are tons of other diecutters on the market. I have the wishblade, there is also the cricut and the xyron personal cutter. Die cut shapes have made a huge comeback as have diecut letters.

I don't think anything really goes away in stamping though because it is a more pure artform than scrapbooking is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 05:54 AM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

The only thing that upset me was that a demo in my area claimed that one of her "skills" was huffing... That's just rediculous
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #52  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasync
The only thing that upset me was that a demo in my area claimed that one of her "skills" was huffing... That's just rediculous
Perhaps she means that she is full of hot air? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom

OK, sorry. But, that was a good one, Gail! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #54  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom
HAHAH! This one made me laugh so hard! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I may read about the trends, research them to stay knowledgeable, but don't necessarily "subscribe" to 'em. And, I'd venture to say that what I personally gravitate towards, prolly isn't what's considered "trendy" . . .

I don't really care; I do/use what I fancy, regardless of whether or not it's "en vogue".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #56  
Glitter Guru

I agree with Julie HRR. I think that as long as we are happy with the card and the recipiant loves it, that is all that matters. I have noticed something that I started doing since seeing it on here, double background stamping. I can't seem to get away from that now, it really adds depth to the cards..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't see much mulberry paper any more and it used to be hot stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great thread. One or two things I've noticed is that decoratvie paper is used more on cards than when I started stamping. Almost unheard of then. One of the tools I see used alot and quite nicely is the scallop oval or circle. Seems so popular that the punches are sold out on many online sites. Glad the dark vintage is not as popular. I too do simple stuff. Even my collage is simple. I refer to myself as a minimalist LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Quilled embellishments have always repulsed me. Nothing says granny crafts like quilling. Those have always been out to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #60  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I may read about the trends, research them to stay knowledgeable, but don't necessarily "subscribe" to 'em. And, I'd venture to say that what I personally gravitate towards, prolly isn't what's considered "trendy" . . .

I don't really care; I do/use what I fancy, regardless of whether or not it's "en vogue".

Oh Julie that's because you SET the trends and we just follow you! tee hee

What I really really really want to know is what products are in design right now! Where did I put my crystal ball????

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Great thread!

I, too, have been a stamper for almost 15 years and have seen many trends come our way. I put away my decorative scissors (even my deckles) years ago and have never missed them. I found that nothing ever looked perfect with them and they kind of made everything look "homemade" vs. "Handmade" I like things to look handmade but not homemade. I also hardly ever even think about my crimper much less use it.

What I like about having 15 years worth of supplies is the variety of things I have. Yes, I still make cute cards when the occassion or season or person lends itself to that style. Yes, I make a collage type card/project if appropriate. Yes, I do elaborate and simple cards. I tend to make things clean and simple right now but one thing I always do is embellish with at least one thing....I like some sort of dimension on all my cards/pages etc.

I think of my stamps as I would a basic black skirt or pair of pants. Never too many, never enough, and goes with everything. I then take my black skirt, I mean stamp, and add a top according to the occassion and then accesorize accordingly with whatever I feel like. Sometimes that outfit needs grandma's pearls (classic embelishments) or sometimes some funky costume jewlery (fibers, staples, metal tags etc.) When I am all done, my outfit, oops, card, fits the occassion and I oops it looks right.

You know what I mean? Anything is in as long as it starts off classic and you can get as fun and funky as you want or as sedate and simple as you need.

OK this has gone on way too long. I just stamp whatever the heck I feel like doing and go with it. I do it all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've been hearing a lot of comments that retro has been way over done and people are getting tired of it. I know I am.

Vintage is still popular but on it's way out too.

Cute will always be in. As you can tell from the gallery Inky Antics and Whipper Snapper and Fluffles stamps are very popular. I am starting to notice some of the country styly from 70's & 80's is starting to make a come back with a few rubber stamp manufacturers. Only makes sense I guess since the 50's & 60's have been done in the past few years.

From what I am seeing on ebay and in the craft stores, the really hot trend right now is western. I sold a bunch of western stamps very quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been noticing more corner rounding on scrapbook pages, but mostly on the photo mats and background papers so it looks like it is making a comeback. Not that it was ever out, but I just remember it being used differently. Another thing that I didn't see a lot for a while, but is supposed to be the "new" thing is doodling. I think it was more "in" five years ago, then you didn't see it much and now it is being shown in my sb magazines like it is something new.

I'm not seeing much of the paper dolls (Paperkins) and paper-pieced animals or scenes (Windows in Time) in scrapbooks, but more of a use of different coordinating papers in geometric designs. Paper punches are still popular, but I'm seeing less of the little (1/2" punches of everything imaginable - bunny, cow, house, hand) and more of the basic shapes like circles, squares, ovals etc. and more utilitarian punches like tags and envelopes and in larger sizes, too. And not a lot of use of templates for different images - again every shape imaginable, I guess the improvements starting with the Coluzzle,then the Sizzix and now the Cricut have users not needing or wanting to trace and cut out letters and designs. I haven't seen Mulberry paper used much lately either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #64  
Kookie Creator

Do you think that chalks are not being used much anymore? I feel like I have only seen people referencing pencils and the watercolor crayons lately. What do you think? I just don't know how something like that can even go out of style. I have noticed that I don't use them as much anymore and 10 years ago that was all that I used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #65  
Embossing Fanatic

I think that messy, smelly techniques that yield less than clear results like shaving cream technique, baby wipe, etc. are out. You rarely hear of direct to paper anymore either. I don't even use my glossy because the reason I bought it was for goofy techniques that use too much junk like polished stone. I don't like smelly, messy, and sticky things that have to dry. My demo says that people at her 10 clubs just really don't like to do things like this either. I haven't seen anything crimped for a long time. I like watercolor crayons, but I think they are a fad. Blender pens and dye inks are just easier for many. What is in now will go for cheap on ebay later! LOL! I also think you don't see much embossing, but it usually increases around Christmas time. I don't use my eyelets at all anymore (thus a huge collection just sitting there). Now that there is such an amazing selection of background papers out there, I just don't feel driven to do time consuming background techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #66  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The big trend I see right now is cards that have only one stamp on them or sometimes even none... made entirely with designer papers or kits. You see less and less busy, frilly, time-consuming, over-decorated cards.

I do think the connection is that they are so simple and everyone's incredibly busy modern lives are leading them to crave simple things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For ME, the only technique I can think of that I no longer do is to color the entire stamped image with markers. Once I found the Prismacolor pencils, well that was it! (And watercolor pencils.)

I have all the Rubberstamper magazines saved since it pretty much first came out. That's the ONLY magazine that I save. The rest are passed on to another stamping buddy.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

dacpam!!! you sound like me, and you're from my hometown, too! I have a hard time "cleaning out" to get rid of things, because I just like knowing they are there "just in case." And really, the number of things that have come back around over the last several years is astounding (and sometimes frightening!).
Reply With Quote Likes