Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessories for Big Shot...what all do I need?

So my Big shot will be arriving in a couple of days and I got the beginners package..I am so excited! So what types of different adaptors do I need to purchase to be able to use other brand die machines...like the cute CB embossing folders? And are there any must have folders/dies that I should get? I know that this might have been discussed on another thread...but that one is WAY to long to find in a practical manner:rolleyes:

Mindy

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #2  
immzw4

Sorry I can't help. My Big Shot should be here tomorrow, and I had the exact same question! I figured I'd post so I get the replies in email.

I am SO excited!!

Michelle

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdetloff
So my Big shot will be arriving in a couple of days and I got the beginners package..I am so excited! So what types of different adaptors do I need to purchase to be able to use other brand die machines...like the cute CB embossing folders? And are there any must have folders/dies that I should get? I know that this might have been discussed on another thread...but that one is WAY to long to find in a practical manner:rolleyes:

Mindy

You don't need anything special to use the CB embossing folders or dies. (yeah!!). I am also able to use Sizzix big red dies as well as Sizzlits without any adapters. My acrylic plate is pretty scored and bent, but it didn't break. You will however need extra cardstock, embossing folders and dies because what you have will not be enough. You will want to run everything through you brand new baby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also for future reference check out this sandwich thread

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #5  
immzw4

Thank you so much! I can't wait to get my Big Shot and am out looking at specialty papers right now so I can stock up!

Michelle

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdetloff
So my Big shot will be arriving in a couple of days and I got the beginners package..I am so excited!
I'm excited for you!!!!! I adore my Big Shot!

Quote:

So what types of different adaptors do I need to purchase to be able to use other brand die machines...like the cute CB embossing folders?
If you're going to use:
  • Cuttlebug* dies
  • Cuttlebug A-2 embossing folders
  • Sizzix Originals* dies (steel rule)
  • Sizzix Sizzlit dies (wafer, won't cut through more than card stock max)
  • Sizzix's newly released BIGZ* dies
  • Sizzix's newly released Embosslits
  • Big Shot Thick Cuts* dies
  • Big Shot Thin Cuts (wafer style, just like the Sizzlit; card stock max)
  • Big Shot Cut n' Emboss (wafer style, cut and emboss; card stock max)
you don't need anything extra, just the original white platform and the 2 clear pads that came with the machine. (The Cuttlebug uses an identical, just slightly smaller, similar white platform and 2 clear cutting pads)

*indicates dies that will cut through not only card stock, but also lightweight chipboard, coaster material, felt, fabric, stencil plastic, polyshrink, acetate/transparency, thin sheet metal, leather, etc.

If you're going to pressure/dry emboss with other (off-brand) brass stencils or heavy plastic texture plates, you will need:
  • The Big Shot Multi-purpose Platform
  • The Big Impressions Starter Kit (which has the necessary rubber/silicone impression pads you'll need, PLUS some texture plates)
If you're going to use QuicKutz dies in the Big Shot, I suspect you'll probably need the BSMP, otherwise, you'll have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to create a sandwich that will work with it, and whatnot; the BSMP actually has layers of shims attached to it at one end of a white platform, and there is a guide printed right on it that tells you how many of the layers you need, depending on which products you are using (i.e. QuicKutz brand dies, off-brand brass stencils, Fiskars brand Texture Plates, etc.)

Quote:

And are there any must have folders/dies that I should get? I know that this might have been discussed on another thread...but that one is WAY to long to find in a practical manner:rolleyes:

Mindy
"Should"? Well, that'll depend on your personal taste and style! ;)

BUT, when it comes to dies, I personally prefer dies that will cut through chipboard and other materials, not just card stock. So, I try to purchase mostly those type.

:grin:

HTH,

Last edited by JulieHRR; 01-04-2007 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thank you Julie!! You are the reason I went with the BS ;) Just waiting for it to get here.......it's killing me. You are so helpful!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Just to clarify, I will need *both* the BSMP and the BISK to use my Fiskars plates in them? TIA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I'm excited for you!!!!! I adore my Big Shot!

If you're going to use:
  • Cuttlebug* dies
  • Cuttlebug A-2 embossing folders
  • Sizzix Originals* dies (steel rule)
  • Sizzix Sizzlit dies (wafer, won't cut through more than card stock max)
  • Sizzix's newly released BIGZ* dies
  • Sizzix's newly released Embosslits
  • Big Shot Thick Cuts* dies
  • Big Shot Thin Cuts (wafer style, just like the Sizzlit; card stock max)
  • Big Shot Cut n' Emboss (wafer style, cut and emboss; card stock max)
you don't need anything extra, just the original white platform and the 2 clear pads that came with the machine. (The Cuttlebug uses an identical, just slightly smaller, similar white platform and 2 clear cutting pads)

*indicates dies that will cut through not only card stock, but also lightweight chipboard, coaster material, felt, fabric, stencil plastic, polyshrink, acetate/transparency, thin sheet metal, leather, etc.

If you're going to pressure/dry emboss with other (off-brand) brass stencils or heavy plastic texture plates, you will need:
  • The Big Shot Multi-purpose Platform
  • The Big Impressions Starter Kit (which has the necessary rubber/silicone impression pads you'll need, PLUS some texture plates)
If you're going to use QuicKutz dies in the Big Shot, I suspect you'll probably need the BSMP, otherwise, you'll have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to create a sandwich that will work with chipboard, and whatnot; the BSMP actually has layers of shims attached to it at one end of a white platform, and there is a guide printed right on it that tells you how many of the layers you need, depending on which products you are using (i.e. QuicKutz brand dies, off-brand brass stencils, Fiskars brand Texture Plates, etc.)

"Should"? Well, that'll depend on your personal taste and style! ;)

BUT, when it comes to dies, I personally prefer dies that will cut through chipboard and other materials, not just card stock. So, I try to purchase mostly those type.

:grin:

HTH,
Do you have the BSMP? If so, how many cutting plates are attached?

Do you have the BISK? If so, how large are the sheets of rubber and silicone? Do they match the size of the BS cutting plates? Will the BISK sheets work the same as the Home Depot piece of rubber sheeting someone posted about recently?

TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Or, for metal embossing plates, etc...the Wizard Charm Set, that has two embossing foam pads, work super. They even emboss the "Friends" embossing plate that comes with the Big Shot, better than it's own sandwich suggestion...Ellen H. has complete info on this in her blog...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Thank you so much Julie--I knew you would come through! ;) So to use the Friskers plastic embossing plates I need to get BSMP and the BISK...MIL has a large collection of them and I can't use them with the little gadget thing that they come with...but some of them are super cute and may need to paly around with them when I am on leave visiting...Yup taking the BS on a little adventure...a 3300 round trip one! Maybe I should do a flat stanley like thing with my BS. ;)

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by neece
Do you have the BSMP? If so, how many cutting plates are attached?
Yes. There are no cutting plates attached to it; they are tabbed shims, each color coded, and with printed directions that tell you which tabs should be opened or closed to make the appropriate sandwich needed for what you are trying to use (Ellison/Big Shot/Sizzix brand dies and embossing products, or off-brand dies and embossing products) with the Big Shot.

With it, you can discard the original white platform that came with the machine, but I don't intend to discard mine. You never know when it will come in handy. ;)

Quote:

Do you have the BISK? If so, how large are the sheets of rubber and silicone? Do they match the size of the BS cutting plates?
My BISK is on order, but has not yet arrived. According to all the diagrams the pads in the kit appear to be as large as, or just slightly larger than, the Big Shot Texture Plates, so roughly A-2, judging from the photo.

Quote:

Will the BISK sheets work the same as the Home Depot piece of rubber sheeting someone posted about recently?

TIA!!!
I have no idea. The diagram refers to it as silicone rubber. It may be different than rubber gasket and therefore perform differently.

I finally ordered the BISK, because I liked several of the texture plates offered in it, the Impressions and Silicone Rubber Pads are automatically included in it, and it was on sale at the place where I was ordering some Cuttlebug embossing folders. ;)

The BISK, the BSMP and the Big Shot specifically, are designed as one comprehensive system to eliminate all that messing around with chipboard shims trying to create endless variations of sandwiches that would work with this or that brand of die, this or that type of stencil, this or that type of texture plate, etc.

In effect, if it works as it should, you won't need any kind of sandwich chart, or spare chipboard shims laying around, such as is currently needed for the Cuttlebug, when using off-brand products with it. If Provo Craft is smart, they'll develop a multi-purpose platform and an impressions kit specifically for the Cuttlebug . . .

This doesn't mean the Cuttlebug isn't as good a machine as the Big Shot; it means Ellison is just a step or to ahead of Provo Craft on that particular aspect of accessory development for their machine.

Last edited by JulieHRR; 01-04-2007 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Julie, you are an absolute SWEETHEART for helping all of us die-cut machine addicts!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Aww, shucks. You are most welcome, Mel. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Aww, shucks. You are most welcome, Mel. :grin:
I agree with Mel. Thank you so much for being so helpful with our questions!

One more thing... I still don't quite understand how the BSMP is supposed to work. Is it like an embossing folder? Like, does it have a hinge or something for all the tabbed parts?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by neece
I agree with Mel. Thank you so much for being so helpful with our questions!

One more thing... I still don't quite understand how the BSMP is supposed to work. Is it like an embossing folder? Like, does it have a hinge or something for all the tabbed parts?

TIA!
Yes--they are hinged along the short end, so if opened, it can go right on through the machine.

See this photo: BSMP at www.ellisondesign.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Yes--they are hinged along the short end, so if opened, it can go right on through the machine.

See this photo: BSMP at www.ellisondesign.com
Thanks a bunch! You're super sweet for being so willing to help! :-)

Hugs!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

My BISK and BSMP are on thier way!!! I have been using my quickutz dies by layering this way: white platform 9- 1/2 sheets of SU cardstock, clear cutting plate, quickutz die, cardstock,clear cutting plate. It's been working great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

subscribing to this thread--my BS arrived last night & I can't wait to play with it today!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Is this Big Shot Multipurpose Platform something new? We were talking other ways to sandwich just before Christmas. I see the Big Kick has a similar multipurpose thing....HSN has a Big Kick set with that included for sale today.
Reply With Quote Likes