Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alcohol Inks - Would *Love* Some Feedback

I'm in need of some new color inspiration. Thinking about some of the new "alcohol inks." For those of you who have used them, what do you like/dislike? Are they worth the price? Any fave colors / color combinations? Any surfaces other than paper or dominoes that you've used them on? I'd *love* to hear any feedback before investing in more supplies.... TIA ~ Kaylyn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of these inks. What makes them different from pigment or dye inks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I played with the "pinata" inks on slides at a stamp store's demo last week. Not really sure if I'd get them (I'm not into the whole slides/jewelry thing yet) because I don't know how they'd do on paper, but they blended nicely on the slides and seemed to dry pretty quickly. Not sure if these are the same as the alcohol inks you're talking about, but they were something all new to me!

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default alcohol inks

I love my alcohol inks. I have the pinatas and adirondaks. My favorite by far is the adirondaks. The make a beautiful polished stone (agate) background with a lot of depth. You can use them on any surface, domino, plastic, metal cd's etc. I dont' know if its ok to give a link to another mb that has tons of samples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More About Alcohol Inks....

if you wouldn't mind sending me a pm with the link to the "ton of samples" I'd be grateful!!

As far as *what* these inks are...all I can relay is what I know...that they are supposed to be *the bomb* for working on non-porous surfaces and have many more color options than Staz-On. I know nothing about *how* they work, whether or not they need to be sealed, how well they blend, etc. I wish one of the small stamp stores in my area would do a demo with some of them...I'd be there in the front row taking notes with a dunce cap on!!!! ~ Kaylyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't get my alcohol inks to make a nice polished stone background. I even have the Tim Holtz DVD and followed his directions. All I got was a big mess! So, for me, I wish I hadn't spent the money, but others love them, so this may just be my lack of skill!! I'd recommend taking a class with them if possible before investing in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

The alcohol inks use alcohol as the medium that "carries" the color. That way, the alcohol evaporates almost instantly. These colors can be used on tiles, and dominoes, but the technique that I've found MOST beautiful is using the metal sealing tape that A/C guys use. You can buy this in the heating and A/C section of the hardware store. It is NOT duct tape, it is actual metal foil. It is for sealing ductwork. If you ask someone at Lowe's(or home depot), they will point you in the right direction.

The metal foil tape comes in at least 2-4 inches wide and you can use it to run up the edge of a card or a scrapbook page or you can use the wider stuff for a central image background. You can also emboss it VERY easily, as ANYTHING that is UNDER it will "show" through the tape. For example, if you place a die cut down, lay tape over it, roll brayer repeatedly over the die cut section, you will get a PERFECT raised image of the diecut in the foil. Then you can use the alcohol inks right over the foil and voila!!! It is a LOVELY central image for a card or accent piece for a scrapbook page.

So, I don't know how HARD the polished stone background is, but I've seen the results with the alcohol inks and if I had money to buy them, I would. They are AWESOME!

Carol O.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:32 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I have never heard of them....but they sound like something I would like to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I have both the adirondacks and the pinatas, same type of product, different color values. The alcohol inks are great for polished stone, and for use on transparent items like overlays or acrylic frames. They dry with a rich transparency that almost looks like colored glass. They blend/run very quickly on slick/glossy surfaces so they really aren't designed for traditional stamping techniques IMHO. but they ROCK for collage/vintage styles and techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default Alcohol Inks - Wopuld *Love* Some Feedback

I don't have any alcohol inks YET, but I did get some of the metal foil tape at Home Depot. I found out that you can also use the brass stencils with this tape and it works great.

I rubbed my finger over the template to see exactly where it was, then lightly used the stylus to enhance the image. Worked great.

Thanks for letting us know about the metal tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I have the pinata inks and loooooove them! They have a huge varity of colors, and make the most beautiful polished stone background. It's really simple if you use a krylon leafing pen instead of metallic reinkers in a bottle. You can get as light or as dark a color with as much metallic as you want, and they dry so much quicker than the way my stampin up rep taught me to do it with the reinkers and alcohol.

Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

You're all awesome! How do you ever come up with these crazy/amazing ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

You know, I was just in a stamp store this afternoon staring at the array of alcohol inks on the wall and I didn't buy any. Now I want to go back and buy some to play with!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought some of the alcohol inks at a stamp convention a while ago. Wonder if you can use them to color tumbled tiles?
Reply With Quote Likes