Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try the KRYLON "EASY TACK" REPOSITIONABLE SPRAY

I got a chance to try this when I got home from work--sunny and mild so easy to try in the open garage before hubby/son came home.

I placed my stamp set in a shallow box (like the lid to a box of copy paper) and sprayed the back of the sticky side of the stamp that I had covered with vinyl cling. I sprayed evenly for several seconds; let the stamps sit for 30 minutes and placed them on my laminated storage boards. An hour or so later they were fine. I may have sprayed too much tack on them and some were tackier than others, but I blotted the stamp on my palm to loosen the tackiness a bit. I left one of the stamps on my acrylic block. I'll check back in tomorrow and give an update as how they are faring since it will be 24 hours since I sprayed/stuck the stamps onto the board and block.

So far/so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be my solution going forward.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope it works.. cant wait to get the update tomorrow! :")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Update on "Alternative" to EZMount

My Krylon Responsitionable Easy Tack-sprayed stamps are still sticking very well to both the block and the storage board. I do believe the tack will wear off over time. The label on the can says you can just respray to create a new tack/bond.

So far, so good. This may very well be my new solution for unmounting and storing the UM'ted stamps going forward.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Another Q DS63 ---

I was looking at your photos of your storage board - looks like an SU set - with foam still on there. I've only unmounted a few --- and don't always get consistent results. But the foam is staying on your stamp but there is no sticky left --- so you are using the spray then to make it sticky again. Right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Cass,

With the SU set pictured on the storage board, I purchased Grafix brand cling vinyl. I removed the paper backing from the stamp and applied the vinyl directly to the sticky on the back of the stamp so I'd have a clean and smooth surface for the easy tack to cling to. I wasn't sure if the easy tack spray that I used would react with the adhesive already on the rubber so I used a layer of cling vinyl first then sprayed with the easy tack spray.

My objective with using the cling vinyl first was to obtain a smooth surface on the rubber similar to EZMount cling foam.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63View Post
Hi Cass,

With the SU set pictured on the storage board, I purchased Grafix brand cling vinyl. I removed the paper backing from the stamp and applied the vinyl directly to the sticky on the back of the stamp so I'd have a clean and smooth surface for the easy tack to cling to. I wasn't sure if the easy tack spray that I used would react with the adhesive already on the rubber so I used a layer of cling vinyl first then sprayed with the easy tack spray.

My objective with using the cling vinyl first was to obtain a smooth surface on the rubber similar to EZMount cling foam.

Kelli
And that cling vinyl doesn't "cling" to a clear block unless you add the easy tack? That would be cool if there was a non adhesive, non-expensive means of creating "cling" similar to ez mount without the mess of adhesives like Aileens or spray adhesives. Where do you find your vinyl cling?
Design Team Member for Sweet n Sassy Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lisa,

That's why I created this thread to seek out fellow unmounters who may have dabbled into the possibility that there's an alternative to using EZM when unmounting. I noted several posts up that I used Grafix Cling Vinyl (purchased at Michael's) and that I've been testing out Krylon brand's "Easy Tack" Repositionable Spray Adhesive. I'll post updates on how this is working out for me.

I'm hoping this will work out to be a viable solution/alternative to purchasing EZM. I'm not knocking the manufacturer or vendor, but the stuff's expensive to purchase and ship and I didn't get any "play money" this year to replenish my current stash. I am down to one sheet and don't want to spend more if I don't have to.

Kelli

Last edited by DigitalStamper63; 04-09-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: added vendor name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Lisa,

That's why I created this thread to seek out fellow unmounters who may have dabbled into the possibility that there's an alternative to using EZM when unmounting. I noted several posts up that I used Grafix Cling Vinyl (purchased at Michael's) and that I've been testing out Krylon brand's "Easy Tack" Repositionable Spray Adhesive. I'll post updates on how this is working out for me.

I'm hoping this will work out to be a viable solution/alternative to purchasing EZM. I'm not knocking the manufacturer or vendor, but the stuff's expensive to purchase and ship and I didn't get any "play money" this year to replenish my current stash. I am down to one sheet and don't want to spend more if I don't have to.

Kelli
I understand that people are trying out different adhesives . I just wondered if the vinyl cling itself or some similar product would "cling" to the acrylic stamp block. EZ mount doesn't have adhesive on it's backside; it has a material that "clings" to the block. I just thought it would be great if vinyl cling would do that without applying the Repositionable Spray Adhesive. But I guess people have already tried that and it doesn't really work unless you do use some kind of adhesive on the backside.
I'll have to pick up some of the vinyl cling at Michaels, then. I tried the baby powder on the sticky part of my SU stamps and it didn't do well with Aileens TAIOO. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Grafix Cling Vinyl does cling to the block, but not very well. The vinyl cling does cling to my storage boards, again not very well, but well enough to do the trick. Someone else in this thread recommended turning the block with the stamp in a circular motion I think while cleaning the stamp and the stamp doesn't come off the block.

Aleen's is a last resort if the Krylon Easy Tack Repositionable Spray Adhesive doesn't work in the near term. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

That is helpful. Keep us posted on how the Easy Tack works in the long run! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

My sprayed stamps are starting to lose their tacky bond.
The spray isn't meant to be a long term post-it note type of bond. Even post-its lose their tack over time when they are lifted and repositioned time after time (sigh...):-( I'm not super disappointed, but was hoping this would work out as a great alternative.

The label on the can says that the item can be re-sprayed as needed to re-establish the tack. I don't know that I want to do that. I do like applying the Grafix vinyl cling sheet to the adhesive side of the rubber stamp. They do stick to the boards and my block; just not as strong as the cling on EZM does.

So I may have to go with applying the cling vinyl to the adhesive on the rubber then apply the Aleen's TIOAO on the cling going forward. I like having the foam cushion on my stamps and since I already have the cling vinyl I might as well use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry the spray didn't work as you had hoped. I, too, thought the cling vinyl would be a great solution for my SU! stamps that already had cushion, but in the end I wasn't happy with it.

When you run out of your vinyl cling, I've been applying the sticker for my SU! stamps to the sticky foam before applying the TIO&O. It seals off the adhesive and indexes the stamp at the same time.

And I'm going to switch from TIO&O to Mono Multi (in the green & white bottle) - it's getting hard to find the TIO&O here, and the Mono is much neater to apply and clean up. Unless I find out that the stamps I used the MM on start to lose their cling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Cheryl,

I like the idea of applying the image sticker to the sticky foam, but all my UM'ted sets have the sticker on the storage board and I was hoping I could continue that with the cling vinyl and spray mount. I guess what I will end up possibly doing is making a copy of the image sticker sheet first and laminate that to the board then apply the image sticker itself to the sticky foam and finally apply the ATIO&O to the image sticker. I can still find the Aleen's in my area; it's not hard to find. I just didn't want to go through the 'mess' of the ATIO&O.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

Bummer - I liked the spray b/c it was soooo fast compared to painting on the ATIOAO

I wonder - if you put the cling vinyl on the stamp like you were doing and then the Tack N Peel on your block --- would the vinyl stick to the T&P really well???

Where do you get the vinyl from BTW?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I liked the spray for that reason as well.

WOW, that's another great idea that I will have to try. It took me a minute to process what you are suggesting, but yes, I think that may work. I better start collecting those 40%-50% off coupons for the TnP hope I can find them at my LSS--sometimes I see only one sheet on the hanger when I'm in there looking for something else and I need another two sheets.

I bought the vinyl cling sheets from Michael's. I'm sure Hobby Lobby would carry them. I think the Grafix website has a store locator feature to find a retailer in your area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by casslarsonView Post
Bummer - I liked the spray b/c it was soooo fast compared to painting on the ATIOAO

I wonder - if you put the cling vinyl on the stamp like you were doing and then the Tack N Peel on your block --- would the vinyl stick to the T&P really well???

Where do you get the vinyl from BTW?
Gale,

Have you tried the vinyl cling with the Tack n Peel sheets? I've already unmounted what I have left and sprayed the Krylon stuff on the one set that I applied to cling vinyl sheets to. Since you have both, would you mind testing this out on a stamp if you are able? Thanks!

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Here's another thought DS63:

you said you used packing tape to laminate your storage boards - and the stamps with cling vinyl stick to that really well.

What about applying packing tape to your block?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Also, just to make sure i know what i'm looking for:

is this the cling vinyl you are referring to?

http://www.grafixarts.com/cling_vinyl.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Don't do it! The vinyl cling will stick so hard to the TnP it will be hard to get off. I am assuming ezmount would be the same. I use those on the backside of my blocks.
Good to know - thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #60  
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Skype™ to Playbaby

Hi . . . kinda new here but a friend, who pointed me in the direction of Splitcoast Stampers, told me that if I put my EZ mounts in CD cases they will lose their cling. I have been looking all over but cannot find this mentioned. Anyone know if that is the case or not? She also said, that to use the ez mounts in CD cases you need to line the cases with something . .. but I don't know what. I have yet to take the plunge of unmounting stamps but have EZ's numerous unmounteds . . . now I am concerned about their long term status. Any input here?

Thanks

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

I have never heard of EZ mount losing their cling....the only bad thing I have heard is that when storing them vertically, over time, the stamps actually slide off of the EZ mount and make a sticky mess. I have some mounted on EZ mount but most of mine are now done with Aleene's tack it over and over on bare rubber...they are thinner and store in cd cases better and it is easier and cheaper than ezmount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by casslarsonView Post
Also, just to make sure i know what i'm looking for:

is this the cling vinyl you are referring to?

http://www.grafixarts.com/cling_vinyl.htm
Yep--got it at Michael's with a 50% off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #63  
Glitter Queen

I always wondered how to use and store unmounted stamps and was trying to figure out if ez mount was worth the cost. (posting so I don't forget to check this again : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaybabyView Post
Hi . . . kinda new here but a friend, who pointed me in the direction of Splitcoast Stampers, told me that if I put my EZ mounts in CD cases they will lose their cling. I have been looking all over but cannot find this mentioned. Anyone know if that is the case or not? She also said, that to use the ez mounts in CD cases you need to line the cases with something . .. but I don't know what. I have yet to take the plunge of unmounting stamps but have EZ's numerous unmounteds . . . now I am concerned about their long term status. Any input here?

Thanks

Chris
There is a known problem with storing EZ Mounted stamps on acetate sheets - something in the EZ Mount reacts to the acetate and permanently sticks. I think that after that issue became known, and vendors started coming up with special unmounted storage systems, the story about the CD cases started up. My mother has stored her EZ Mounted stamps in cd cases for at least 5 years and hasn't had a single one lose its cling (and some have been in the cd cases for longer than that; she bought them used in the cases). The only "problem" I've ever seen with cd cases is a set that I had that the original owner indexed by stamping the EZ Mount with Staz-On - the image ghosted itself onto the cd case. The stamp still stuck just fine, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

Default Substitute for EZ Mount

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #66  
Inking Addict

I have had really good luck with this alternative to EZMount that I purchased on Ebay from this vendor for $2.70/sheet. The seller is very quick and reliable. It is a lot thinner than EZMount, and I have mounted lots of stamps with it and have had no problems. I'll definitely be going back for more when I need it.

http://tinyurl.com/d98kdm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

Has anybody tried this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DELUXE-CONVERSIO...3A1%7C294%3A30

sorry, the link isn't going well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

I bought clear acrylic blocks from the company, and was happy with the service and the block. I want something easy and quick.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Yep--got it at Michael's with a 50% off coupon.
anyone know what part of the store the vinyl cling is in?
I couldn't find it and the people there don't think they have it...

If not for my stamps, I would like some for my son's room. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #70  
Insane Embellisher

I saw it at JoAnns in the kids craft area, like by shrinky dinks and such.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, it is in the kid's crafts area in Michael's also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

The shipping charge on that ebay auction is outrageous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycarrieView Post
anyone know what part of the store the vinyl cling is in?
I couldn't find it and the people there don't think they have it...

If not for my stamps, I would like some for my son's room. :-)
I found this in the arts and crafts section of Mike's -- near the canvas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

I am subscribing. I've read all the posts and i'm confused on what some of the items are. I would love to be able to unmount my SU stamps and put backing on them. Does anyone have instructions or pictues of what you are talking about? I have bought ez mount but I don't think I put it on correctly because they do not stick very well. Is it possible to take the ez mount backing off?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

I read in one post that someone unmounted their SU roller stamp. How do you use it now? I'm kind of new to this unmounting stamps stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

i really think tack n peel is a much easier way to go thAn ez mount, i just put up two videos on unmounted options:

mounting options video

care of tack n peel video

they might be helpful....

i carry the tack n peel but not the ez mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

cerridwen3301, awesome, thanks for the links. I think I may try the tack n peel. How often do you have to replace it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

well, tack n peel is expensive to. I am thinking about trying the packaging tape on the acrylic blocks, but wondering about cleaning the block once the tape starts to peel off....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushka4pawsView Post
well, tack n peel is expensive to. I am thinking about trying the packaging tape on the acrylic blocks, but wondering about cleaning the block once the tape starts to peel off....
Two words - Goo Gone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

How do you store your stamps that do not have any backing or anything on them.
Reply With Quote Likes