Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have one Copic marker...B10 Cool Shadow for outlining. I have found that I can outline with my watercolor pencils too so I won't be buying any more Copics.

I do have Nesties and I will continue to add to my collection.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #42  
Crimping Master

Heavens No you aren't alone at all......

in fact, I have NO copics and don't plan on getting them either. OH I think they are wonderful but I've got an investment in SU markers and use them all the time.
No, I have no nesties either......

However I do have a few cb folders.....to go with my sizzix machine!

I have tons of older SU sets as well......not too many of the new ones......but they stamp all the same and I love them!!!

Lori
Michigan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Amber, you're not the first person I've read that didn't care for Copics. But I can never pin it down as to what people don't like about them. I'd like to get a few of the Prismacolor markers since they are more available to me, but I wonder if they are so similar to Copics? What was it about the Copics that you didn't care for?
There is a typically a learning curve with using these markers...so unless you're dedicated to learning how to use them (blend the colors, take away color with the colorless blender, etc.) typically it's not worth it.

I think price is another factor...and you have to use good cardstock and certain ink with them. The Copics will make Stazon and regular black ink smear, so that may be another thing you have to invest in just so you can use your markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by granny kayView Post
Am I the only stamper without copic markers? I haven't bought the new nesties, or the new CB folders. I'm on a limited income and must watch what I spend. I'm disappointed when I look at all the new images on the cards. I would like to see more use of the older stamp sets. Am I all alone?
You are not alone. I have used copic markers in a couple of class at a local stamp store. I was not impressed with them. I use my limited amout of SU markers. My favorite is prisma pencils, also SU watercolor pencils (just wish they came in all SU colors) and Stampin' Pastels.
No nesties or a CB. I do have a Cricut only because it was a gift.

Wish RAK was mentioned. Great way to get the new images. I prefer using the older and retired stamps but I am a hobby demo so I have to use current SU products when particapating in SU events. With a limited income I am very picky about what I order. SU doesn't carry copic markers you should not use them to demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,015 Likes on 869 Posts
Default Copics

I did just cave and buy some Copics, but.....if you go to you tube, there is a video there,....we'll I will post the link here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-jKsXsJzok

It shows how you can buy a pkg of Sharpies and/or Bic markers and get the same look. I purchased a pkg of Bic markers with 24 markers in the pkg for $20.00 at Office Depot. They have them at target too, but the pkg has fewer markers. I purchased the Copics so I could get a wider range of colors. The Bic and Sharpies do have an odor the Copics do not have, but I can achieve the same blending with them. (You will see that if you watch the above video.....)

I took all of the markers and made myself a color chart (I assigned them 'numbers'), and use them together with the Copics- you can blend them all nicely and cannot tell the difference. I also found a post on You Tube that tells how to blend the lower # copics with the higher numbers so you do not have to buy as many.....

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

No copics, lots of Nesties, lots of CB embossing folders, lots of lots.

But, there will always be something we are all missing. The point isn't to just accumulate everything, it's to enjoy what you have.

As long as you're doing that, you're fine. I think it would be fun to get together with someone and share things for a day. Do you have anyone close by? I'd love to have a friend come over on a regular basis and share my things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't have the copics either, and I have no intention of getting them. In fact, I only have 4 Zig markers that I use for journaling in scrapbooks and that's the extent of my marker collection. When coloring, I prefer the look of the SU watercolor crayons, they give a much softer look, and that's just my preference. They'll also last me the rest of my life.

I did break down and get a Cuttlebug this summer, so I do have some embossing folders and all the circle and oval nesties. This was one of the best purchases I've made. I love the way my cards look now.

And I use a lot of old stamps too, because I'm not a demo so when I buy stamps I buy ones I really like so I can use them for the long haul.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got a 12-set of primary Caio Copics for Christmas from my in-laws, so now I'll need to learn how to use them!! I usually use SU markers to color images. I have the giant set of Prisma pencils that I bought when Viking was still in business (paid something like $15 for the box after a sale and coupon! They're still in the box unsharpened! There's something about them that scares me!!)
DS gave me a Scor-Pal and Route 66 stamp set from Artistic Outpost (did I train him well, or what??)

I have 4 sets of Nesties to use in my Cuttlebug- the complete set of ovals and I just got Labels One and Two, but haven't had time to play with them, yet...I think I have most of the CB embossing folders...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #49  
Gabfest Goddess

No copics here either!! a friend just bought them last week but i've not been over to play yet.
I do have nesties and Cb folders that I do use.
I was able to play with nesties at my friends before I bought them here on SCS on the buy/sell forum. that is a great place to buy the stuff others bought when they came out new and then decided they didn't like them after all!!
one of my new years resolutions is stop hoarding so much and use up some of the "old" stuff!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Am I the only stamper without copic markers? I haven't bought the new nesties, or the new CB folders. I'm on a limited income and must watch what I spend. I'm disappointed when I look at all the new images on the cards. I would like to see more use of the older stamp sets. Am I all alone?
No copics, no nesties, nothing new for me on the CB front since summer... nope! You are not alone! Things here are tight for us financially and Christmas was our first priority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #51  
Gabfest Goddess

You know, I never got into the Copics either. I thought they would be fun to try but I was always happy with how my markers, WW crayons, pencils, and pastels turned out. Who knows, maybe I will try them later.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Went to a Copics class and made 4 cards but didn't see enough 'wow' to justify the price per marker color.

Cuttlebug folders............cheap (4.99 each) and I can't live without those. They just make awesome backgrounds! (found a Zip-E-Mate on clearance for $15 and the Cuttlebug folders work in that, so no need to purchase an expensive Cuttlebug machine).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I don't have any of those. I did finally break down and get some nice color pencils & OMS. I love them! Personally I like the vibrant colors more than my watercolor pencils. But both are very useful. I looked a Copics but you need so many to really get started. On my current budget I can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

I've been lurking for a few months, but this post made me want to register. I don't have Copics or new CB Folders (I do have some old ones, some Prisma Pencis and two sets of nesties). On my budget I probably won't be getting anything pricey soon (I'm a newly divorced, single mom). Good news is my bday is in a couple of weeks and my mom and sister always give me nice things, so I will probably get some new stamps, folders and/or a nestie set without feeling guilty!

Now I just have to learn how to use this stuff to make great cards...LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 04:08 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Nope, I have one and never use it. I don't have any nesties and I don't have a Cricut or Cuttlebug. I'm on fixed income and can afford some of these but don't want them. I have CB folders that I use in my old Sizzix machine. You CAN live without it all. :p I do. And STILL have tons of stuff I need to use. JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 518 Likes on 233 Posts

No copics. I like what people do with them, but I like watercolor crayons and pencils and I like my prismacolor pencils. I have gotten along fine without markers for a long time. Don't want to spend the money on something I am not currently missing.

No nesties. At first I wanted them, then found that I really could do without them. But if I succumb to the temptation, I'll go to HL and use my coupon to try them out.

Now CB embossing is another story. I love embossing. But diecuts have never tempted me. I got rid of all the ones I had. I never used them. I coveted the Big Shot when it came out, but then I got real! My original sizzix works for the embossing just fine. If I can't live without a particular diecut, I'll trade someone or wishRAK it.

So, I've saved myself a lot of money!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

No copics here...but I do just now own all the sets of nesties...I just got the last 4 sets on www.ritzcamera.com. They were only 16.99 per set. I love the nesties. I have been using the labels ones a lot lately.
Not sure I will ever get into the copics. I need my money for the soldier card project which is very expensive. Not sure I would get enough use out of the copics. I use the nesties a lot though.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

You are certainly not by yourself. I bought some nesties; didn't like how much time it took; sold them; and got my purchase price back. I do like my CB but don't buy all the new folders that come out. Like the ones I have. I don't "do" copics either. I'm sometimes color challenged so like to have the SU markers at hand knowing they'll coordinate/match my paper.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a couple tutorials here, on how to get :

Scallop Ovals/Circles ~ http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...r_oh_my_g.html

Reverse Scallop Ovals/Circles ~ http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...tutorial-.html

Coloring Like Copics with your Stampin' Up! Markers ~ http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr.html
http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ial-again.html

No need to spend the extra money, if you can use what you have at home ;)
Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my copics, but I like to color ALOT... I have some nesties and find them to be a pain with my CB... I relly like the owrk done with them. I need to figure out my machine. I have a cricut that I rarely use.. DH bought it fo rme last year for mother's day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

i dont have copics either. i actually dont know where to get them (besides amazon) since i havent seen them in any stores.
and quite honestly, i dont know what nesties are (i know, i know, i should be ashamed of myself). i've noticed the more i acquire the more like i feel i "have to" use it...it makes it harder to create with more options. ohh well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #62  
Vintage Vixen

No Copics here. For coloring I like using my Prisma pencils and odorless mineral spirits. I have a few Tombow markers that I use instead of ink on certain stamp sets (mainly flowers, where I want the petals to be a different color from the stems and leaves), but I have no plans to buy any Copics.

I do have a Cuttlebug which I purchased with a 50% off coupon. I originally bought it because I was working on a scrapbook for my mom, and needed a fast, clean way to do letters and numbers. I've since bought a few embossing folders; I think I have about 6 now.

I have one set of Spellbinders, the large ovals. I bought them because I didn't have a good way to cut or punch ovals. I wouldn't mind getting the scalloped ovals and perhaps the rectangles, but otherwise I do just fine with my punches and my paper cutter.

I have a limited craft budget, a limited crafting space, and I don't buy something unless I really want it and know I will use it regularly. No impulse buys here, and no jumping on the latest bandwagon just because everyone else is. Sometimes it sucks to be such an adult (LOL!), but I know in the long run I'm better off for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No copics here eighter, i really don't have any of that stuff. I have good old regular colored pencils that i use and sometimes i use the bick marks but not much. I don't even know what ww-crayons are, are they caryons that you use water to bled?
But you know what, I am happy with what i have, I could have nothing at all, then i wouldn't be happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Along with so many others ahead on the thread, I don't have copics, nesties or CB's either. I may eventually try out Prisma markers when I am ready to really work on shading and detail work, but for now I have the SU markers and they are fine for what I need.

I am really on the shelf with die-cuts...while I love their ease the basic models only cut one size and right now I just can't afford a cutter like the Cricut. Maybe if I ever get an awesome promotion at work and jump a few pay grades...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have the copic either. I use the Le Plume II markers. I can use a 40% or 50% off coupon at AC Moore and get them reasonable. Tuesday I bought some at JoAnn fabric for 11.99 a set. Ebay has some good prices too.
As for Nesties..I do have a few.. again buying with coupons when I can.
I don't buy anything at full price, I just can't afford to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Nope, not at all. I don't have copics, and I don't plan on getting any in the near future. I wish some of the designers on different stamp teams would continue to show techniques using other colouring mediums, and not just copics.

I also don't have any embossing folders, and I *just* got my first die cutting machine (the Big shot) for Christmas.

I don't mind when everyone is showing things with Nestabilities, or embossing, or even new stamp sets because I have things that I can substitute, or create my own, but the exclusive use of copics is really starting to get me down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #67  
Inking Addict

I don't have Copics either! I tried the Bic Mark it's and they work just fine for like $15 for 36! I'm not great at taking the time to color a lot anyway. Simple works best for me, and cheap! I so want to buy everything everyone talks about...but with this economy I really need to do with what I have.
Really wanted a Cricut Expression for x-mas...thought I was getting it too. Hubby kept asking ?'s about Cricut etc. Nope didn't get! Love my cuttlebug, have few things right now, but can't live without my 4 sets of nesties....love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must confess I am "need the latest and greatist" kinda gal...BUT
I don't have Copics, in fact they scare me because they are so expensive and
I'm not sure I would be able to use the properly.
I think that every new gizmo and gadget will be my golden ticket to
creativity. I think the most creative people are the ones that can come up with beautiful stuff from what they already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

No copics here either. Watercoloring is probably one of my least favorite things do when I stamp, so I just stick with my watercolor pencils and blender pens. But the Nesties and CB Folders...that's a whole 'nuther story
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You gals are making me feel better. I own one Copic--0 colorless blender to blend the $7 pack of Bic Mark-its I got last summer. The Bics work great for me, and I have other ways to color (watercolor pencils, SU markers).

I have a few sets of nesties, but just the basics (ie, one set of circles, one set of scalloped circles etc.) I have a Cuddlebug but got that as a gift, and I think I have one or two newer embossing folders (all the rest older).

I think part of the "dream" is that there will always be something on my wish list. If I had it all, there would be nothing to dream about anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

No copics or Nestabilities here either. I don't have the interest for the copics and I dont have the budget for the Nesties, I have some cb folders, and love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

I HAD copics...didnt like them....and I bought the bic markers...and LOVE them. I have the Bic markers and my prisma pencils....i also have some ziggy ? markers....all great. You're really not missing much with the copics...just my own humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #73  
Kookie Creator

Are you gals talking about these? If so, I have this pack. Should I get skinnier ones? Mine are fine, but they also have ultrafine.

http://www.bicmarkit.com/base/index.asp
Attached Thumbnails
Am I alone?-36_ct_markers.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes those are the BIC markers we are speaking of. I got mine for $9.99 when Target had a special with a coupon. My set actually came with 4 bonus markers.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's ok. This is about what you love, and making yourself happy. Why spend money on something you don't want or need? Just because other persons like something does not mean you will.

I have Copics, about 30. I like to color, and I like working with them. I bought 2 sets of 12 with birthday money last year and picked up a couple extra colors at my local art store. It did not break the bank. I have prisma pencils but never use them. Probably should give them away.

Whenever I feel like buying something now, I just go to my craft area and create with what I already own. Usually the urge passes, unless I've run out of adhesive or something. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #76  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely not the only one! I have no Copics, and am trying to avoid them altogether. I have other colouring mediums I like and enjoy (although I'd like to add some more colours to my pencil & OMS stash - my set of 24 just doesn't have enough shades of certain colours). The results I see with them are gorgeous, but I don't think I have the talent to make them look as good. They are not something I would want to invest money in unless I had tried them first and knew I would love and use them.
I do have a cuttlebug, which I bought nearly 2 years ago with a 50% coupon. I've probably acquired 10 or so embossing folders and have my eye on one more. I use it a lot, so for me it was worth the money.
I don't have any nestabilities as yet, but I think they might be something I invest in in the future. Some of the basic scallop shapes I really like, and also the ribbon tags.
Not everything that is new or the latest & greatest is going to fit my stamping style or my budget. I buy what I can afford and will love & use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #77  
Mad Swapper

I love it all. I have a problem.. I am in desperate need of a 12 step program. I love coloring with Copics, but I only have about 12 or so, so far. I only get 1 or 2 at a time when I need a particular color, and when they're on sale at Hobby Lobby. I'm not in any hurry to have a huge collection (yet). Love my Nesties, but only the circle, rectangle and oval sets. And I LOVE CB embossing folders. In fact, all that you mention are my favorite toys. Hi, I'm Michelle and I am a stamping-productaholic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have copics or nesties. I'm still on the fence about nesties, and meanwhile l use my cricut mini-monograms cartridge for scalloped circles & squares. I too bought the bic markers when they were on sale at target and totally love them! I have a few prismacolor markers that I bought with 40% off coupons and M's, one at a time. I really like them, but M's has a really limited selection of them and the 48 count set is like $190. YIKES!!! Maybe someday I'll get them. I do have a few CB dies and at least half a dozen CB embossing folders. I love them. I do not however have a CB. I still use my original sizzix with the adapter for thinner dies in it. It works just fine so I don't see the need to get a CB no matter how much it is on sale for. Interesting thread. Nice to know I am not alone in not having some of these things. Of course, I am a big believer that you should buy what is to your taste and what you will use...not just because someone else was able to do something cute with it.

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Not alone! I don't have any copics and have no desire to get into them either! They just don't interest me and I think I can spend my money on other things I enjoy more.

On the other hand, I always said I didn't need a die cut machine, but I caved and asked for one for Christmas, I got a cuttlebug...and I LOVE it!!! I have one set of nesties so far and deifnately want more and more embossing folders (which are less than $5!). Thing is, I try to get coupons at HL, usually I wait for 40% off, that's a heck of a deal! So I try to spend less when I can! So I guess I'm all for a die cut machine but not the copics:-) Whatever floats your boat!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #80  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketOHeartsView Post
It's ok. This is about what you love, and making yourself happy. Why spend money on something you don't want or need? Just because other persons like something does not mean you will.
Well said. That's how I feel. I'm a Copic-holic because I enjoy them very much and love learning to use them. If you like something stick to it. If you don't then don't bother. There's plenty of stamp stuff to pick and choose. Go with your heart's stampin desires. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes