Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone that DOESN'T use a cricut??

In November of 2009 I was home from work sick with something and was laying on the couch watching the scrapbook day on HSN when i saw the cricut for the first time EVER..that was also when the Gypsy had pretty much just come out as well...I was mesmerized... I wanted this AWESOME product and i wanted it right then and there... Just so happened i had gotten a new credit card in the mail so i went online and bought it for their oh so convenient 6 monthly payments ... but slowly i realized i was very limited in what i could do unless i had a cartridge to do it with.... I found a lot of cartridges that had 1 or 2 images that i LOVED but nothing else that i would ever really use so i didnt find them worth spending $30 + on ... A good friend showed me MTC and SCAL and i tried and tried to figure out how to use them and just couldnt grasp the concept of it...In 2010 we moved to a new house where i had a room that was all mine and i was on a roll. I loved cutting out things and making cards and had a lot of fun. Then in early 2011 i got pregnant and had absolutely no "crafting" drive...i felt sick all the time and hated to even look at my craft room... at 7 months pregnant we moved again and i no longer had my own room... I sadly have not touched my cricut or my gypsy in over a year SO i sold them..... and im perfectly happy with that decision..id rather someone else be able to give them the love that i couldnt... I do have a cuttlebug and i love that thing...i find myself doing more cutting with actual dies in it or punches than anything....

Is there anyone else out there perfectly content not owning a Cricut (or comparable product)??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 525 Likes on 237 Posts

I have a bigshot and an "old red" sizzix. I won't buy a cricut (of course, since I won't buy anything from PC, that's not hard!), but as for the other brands of cutting machines...nah, they don't have any interest to me. I used to NEVER like diecuts. Now, since they made some neater ones, I like a few. But I just don't go gaga over diecutting in general. Love to emboss though!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I never got a Cricut. The up front cost was a big deterrent, and then the cost of the cartridges was the other one. They would be comparable to the cost of a new video game for my husband. I used my Big Shot for lots of cards, and love it.

Then my sis-in-law gave me her Silhouette SD since she upgraded to the Cameo. It was free, the software is free, and I can find lots of free shapes and fonts that I want to cut out. I didn't mind buying the replacement blade and mats since those do wear out.

I guess I'm just a crafting cheapskate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a Revolution - sold it. Bought the next generation called Epic - still have it. And just recently the Spellbinders Grand Calibur. I bought and sold a TON of Quickutz dies - only keeping the alphabets and a few characters that I wasn't able to unload on eBay. Now I use the alphabets, some dies that make treat boxes, and 4 or 5 nestabilities so I can get frames and scallop circles easily.

At this point, I can't imagine buying another machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have one.... gathering dust & getting in the way! I just never liked what I made with it. Anyone want a seriously cheap Cricut Expression?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

im glad im not the only one... the only reason i have a cuttlebug is because when i bought it i wasnt aware of the other ones out there (big shot, etc) and i got it with a 40% off coupon at michaels. Then i dont remember where i was browsing when i came across the vagabond OMG expensive but totally cool looking!! but for now ill just wear my cuttlebug out till he dies :P then ill probably get one of the other machines that are made for holding the bigger dies... and LancasterLurker... i posted my cricut and gypsy together with all my cartridges and all that stuff for $275 on craigslist..within 12 hours i had 3 people interested and willing to pay cash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I rather like my Cricut. I have the Imagine. It prints and cuts. I use it sometimes on cards, but not much. I prefer using it the most with scrapbooking. It makes the greatest scrap book embellishments, lettering and fonts. I think they look terrific on scrapbook pages. I do make a lot of Christmas Cards with my Cricut. It's easier to cut a lot of patterns with the cricut for doing lots of fluorishes, or letters.
If you are more a card maker, then I can see why the Cricut my not be your favorite tool.
My favorite thing to do with my Cricut is to have a few friends over and we share cartridges to crop pages. That is the most fun I have with my Cricut!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I rather like my Cricut. I have the Imagine. It prints and cuts. I use it sometimes on cards, but not much. I prefer using it the most with scrapbooking. It makes the greatest scrap book embellishments, lettering and fonts. I think they look terrific on scrapbook pages. I do make a lot of Christmas Cards with my Cricut. It's easier to cut a lot of patterns with the cricut for doing lots of fluorishes, or letters.
If you are more a card maker, then I can see why the Cricut my not be your favorite tool.
My favorite thing to do with my Cricut is to have a few friends over and we share cartridges to crop pages. That is the most fun I have with my Cricut!
I guess that was one of my hold backs... i honestly have NO friends or even aquaintances around here where i live that are into card making and scrapbooking much less even know what a cricut is.. I met a few people online in this area but after spending a little bit of time with them i realized they just were not the type of people i wanted to hang out with (wont go into detail on that...lets just say i have some higher morals)

I am glad there are people out there who enjoy their cricuts..i just know now after spending all that money that it just wasnt for me..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

It makes sense to me that if you are a scrapbooker you would get a lot more use out of these types of machines. Since I don't scrap (and if I did it would be more along the lines of Project Life), I feel ZERO need to invest in any of them! I have a Big Shot and don't even use it all that much. I prefer fussy-cutting with sharp little scissors, to tell the truth! I have some dies to make frames and things that I really enjoy (just bought the Tim Holtz reindeer die, too), and you'll have to pry my embossing folders out of my cold, dead hands! Still love my punches, as well...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have a Big Shot and a Cuttlebug and no desire at all to have a Cricut. I use my cutters and punches all the time but know deep down that a Cricut would just sit there gathering dust.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't have one here, I'm happy with a Big Shot and numerous dies and punches. If I need a specific shape I can make shapes, letters and numbers in Microsoft's Publisher to any size, cut out and use them as templates.
I figure I've saved tons of money and space! Plus I got totally turned off by the company's legal shenanigans about SCAL and Make the Cut software. Quit telling me what I can and can't create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Default Me Me Me!

Like you, I saw it advertised on t.v., then read all the posts on forums about how AWESOME it was and had to have it. I think I cut exactly 2 pieces of card stock with it. I learned early on that the up front cost was not bad, but the up keep (or keeping up) was cost prohibitive for someone on a fixed budget. My daughter has mine at her yard sale today and I hope it will go to a good home. Love my Cuttlebug and old red Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a cricut but I do have a CraftRobo and I love it. I've had it for about 4 years and its one of the best investments I made. I had considered a cricut in the beginning, but chose the CraftRobo so I didn't have to buy cartridges. I've saved a ton on punches and dies. As long as I can get an svg or jpeg file of the image/shape I want, I can cut it and I'm not limited to the sizes of the dies or punches. I use it a lot for all my "faux nesties" for my cards and for die cuts for my scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm like Diane, have a Big Kick and the old red Sizzix and love them! Plus I like punches too much, so much you can do with them. I love my dies too, no Circut for me.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Chose the Big Shot over a Cricut because I mostly use mine for oversize box dies, embossing, and cutting felt, chipboard, etc. Much more versatile than a Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I discovered the Cricut in about 2008, I believe. I went to a Micheals crafting store with my new found scrapping buddy to what they were calling a "Scrapbooking Class" - LOL! As soon as I saw what it could do for my layouts, it I HAD TO HAVE IT!!! thus began my saga for the next 3 years to get one. All that was available then, was the original Cricut but I couldn't swing the dandy price of $280 (the price then). After a year or so of trying to find one, I saw the Expression hit the market, and That was the one I knew I wanted to have. I tried and failed many times to find one, until I finally had one. As it was being shipped to me, I went online and bought a Jukebox, SCA (Sir Cuts Alot) and a few carts so I could play with it all. When it arrived, IT WOULD NOT CUT!!!!!! And Cricut wouldn't help me AT ALL!!! I struggled to get someone on the phone, then I struggled to find someone to help me trouble shoot, then I struggled to find someone to help me send it in for repairs (which they said I might have to pay for - wait, what??), then I had to struggle through my demands for some sort of discount, refund or at least Something!! Nothing. They wanted me to send it into the refurbishing department, so I sent it back (with my own money). What makes it so sick for me was I was out more money because of the carts I bought, the Jukebox and the SCA!!!! It made me so sick, here I waited for 3 years to finally be able to have it and to have it shot down like that. It really turned me off to EVER having one again!!!! SO I am with you and I'm glad to not have mine, but it was my nightmare :(

~ Amanda

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

I do not own any die cutter machines that plug in, simple reason being I'm deaf with cochlear implants and one day I went into a local scrap store and the "learning" space was filled with chicks who had hauled theirs to the store at the same time to learn how to use them... oh my good lord the noise was horrible. :mrgreen:
I will never buy something that has to plug in and be so noisy. and I have a cuttlebug and a grand caliber and that works just fine for me.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Good question. I have:
1. An old red & white Sizzix Big Kick for personal use;
2. A blue & black Sizzix Big Kick for the church Card Ministry design team use; and
3. A Spellbinders Grand Calibur (which I won).

I absolutely fell in love with the Big Kick from the moment I first tried it at a friend's house, both for die cuts and embossing folders. It is my most favorite tool of all! I was using mine for the card ministry when the platform got broken. It was very difficult finding a replacement platform, and I realized that I should probably have a second machine for church use so I wouldn't be putting mine at risk. So I got the second one which the church paid for (Yay!) Then last year I won the Grand Calibur in the HYCCT challenges. I probably would not have bought it myself, but it is nice for bigger projects and for using multiple border/insert dies at once.

I considered buying a Cuttlebug, but I think that I can do pretty much anything that it does on the Big Kick. I definitely like the Big Kick better than the Cuttlebug. I also tried the Wizard and did not like it all.

I have friends who use the Cricut, and I too was mesmerized by the TV commercial. But I didn't want to spend the $$ until I tried it out, especially since I already owned the Big Kick. I went to a friend's house and got a demonstration, but didn't really see the need for me to buy one. The cost of the machine and the cartridges was part of the deterrent, but I didn't think that it would add that much to what I could already do with punches and the Big Kick. That was several years ago, and I have never regretted not buying it. I like the things it can do, but personally, I just don't feel like I need it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the very first one they came out with. It has been used maybe 6 times. I am just not spending the money on those carts. They are ridiculously priced. They can keep them. I have 3 carts. One of these came with the Cricut. I will use it if I ever get back to scrapbooking. Card making took over!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a cardmaker/party favor maker so the Big Shot and Big Shot Pro are my constant companions. I don't think I would need a cricut any time soon, if at all. The comments in this thread are really helpful, so thanks so much to all who replied.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't own any electronic or electric die cutting machine. I have a BigShot and Grand Caliber althought I have only used the GC a couple of times for Grand die shaped card bases.
The price of the cartridges for the Cricut turned me off. And I didn't want to buy MTC or SCAL and then need to spend hours surfing the net to "find" and buy individual cut files .

I looked into the Silhouette Cameo, but I am still on the fence with that too.
I like the idea I could buy individual cut files from the company for 99� and they have a lot of nice ones. But I know I will still want and buy Spellbinder dies because I like the embossing on the die cuts. I feel it gives a finished look .
So right now I can't justify buying the Silhouette Cameo either
My kids gave me money for Mother's Day so I could buy one if I want it

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-26-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseynicole88View Post
I am glad there are people out there who enjoy their cricuts..i just know now after spending all that money that it just wasnt for me..
I have a lot of die cut machines from Cricut's to Gazelle. Die cutting was one of my big loves. I have always enjoyed fussy cutting.

I have a relative who slams me down if I do anything better than her. She just tears me apart and feeds me to the wolves. Essentially she is a Craft Bully. She tore apart my fussy cutting techniques.

The past few years I have been under a lot of stress, depression and mourning. I realized I got into die cutting because it was the one paper crafting area I could get into without Craft Bully attacking me. Like all bullies she did anyway.

I kept fussy cutting. I love it so much. I have a talent for it. I am so much better now and in a better place that I am standing up to bullies. I realize that I am burned out on die cutting. I was only die cutting because of Craft Bully. I packed my cutters all away this month except my Cameo. That now lives on a bottom shelf by my desk. My die cutters used to live right beside me on the desk. I fixed up my desk with all my favorite coloring tools and fussy cutting tools. I have never been more happy as an artist. I am going to sell my cutters this Fall. I am excited about it.

I understand what you mean. I outgrew my die cutters and they are not for me any more. I have spent a lot of money on craft items that were not right for me. Like the ATG gun, Tim's Distress Inks for example. Love seeing what everyone does with them but not my style. I hardly buy stamps now. I like to carve my own. I have beaten myself up for spending money on my tools. I am frugal. My DH tells me to stop it because I would have never learned what I liked or didn't like. He was right. I had a friend who told me once buying the wrong art tools and not liking them is part of the journey artists take.

Last edited by lylacfey; 05-27-2012 at 02:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had a Cuttlebug for a couple of years and it has seen HEAPS of use both for diecutting and embossing - and about 6 months ago, bought a Big Shot. I have never felt the need to invest in some other fancy machine and prefer to keep things simple. I don't even have any of the BS accessories like a Crease Plate - I just have the main platform and a set of cutting/embossing plates. There is so much that you can do with a Cuttlebug and a Big Shot with all the different embossing folders available and the myriad of techniques you can use to change simple dry embossing into something wow. I still get a big thrill out of dry embossing a plain sheet of cardstock or designer paper or simply diecutting an oval shape which I used to laboriously cut by hand. You can do an awful lot with just a few basic things PLUS I really love the idea of NOT needing to plug something into my computer or the wall to work AND the CB or BS is so user-friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

I have resisted buying a Cricut because (1) just not that into diecuts (2) way too much money up front (3) even more money to get good cartridges. However, when I use my friend's to cut letters for scrapbook titles, I think I should get one just for fonts. Next time we move, I will have a real craft room and then I will seriously consider getting one.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

wow thanks yall for all your posts! i was so excited to see this many responses when i got up this morning.... I was literally ripped to shreds elsewhere when i tried to "imply" that the cricut was "less than great" and i'm really glad that this wasnt the case here

i still only have a few dies and like 2 or 3 embossing folders for my cuttlebug and i am constantly "window shopping" for my next purchase...i am weird about buying things.. it takes me forever in michaels because i will go through once and throw in everything that i would want that day... then i find a little quiet corner and sort through to decide what i absolutely have to have and can wait for another day.. and then from the stuff that i absolutely have to have i gotta dwindle down to an amount that i can afford at the time... I felt like i was having an anxiety attack when i went and bought a pack of cardstock and 6 copic markers and spent $44...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have a relative who slams me down if I do anything better than her. She just tears me apart and feeds me to the wolves. Essentially she is a Craft Bully. She tore apart my fussy cutting techniques.
So sorry to hear that you have a "craft bully" in your life. I've found that, in general, crafters are usually encouragers. Don't let the bully get you down.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,135 Likes on 512 Posts

I don't have one either... I am really old school at heart, and not much of a crowd follower!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Yeah, QVC sucked me in easily on this one too. I bought the whole shebang...cricut, gypsy, tons of cartridges and accessories. I used it a little which led me to card making, then I stumbled upon SU. If I could only get the $100's and $100's and $100's...etc back on that and use toward SU products. sigh As soon as I discovered SU, I haven't used my cricut AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I am going against the grain here..... but I have a Cricut (original) and the Cricut Create and I love them both. Honest to God, I have not used any of my dies since getting my Cricuts. I bought my original Cricut for $50 when Joanns was discontinuing them, and I bought the Create on ebay, used, for $60. I buy all my carts from ebay and rarely pay more than $25 for one. I have the ones I want and will only add newer ones after they've been out for a while.

I don't scrapbook, I only make cards, and the possibilities are endless. I can size everything to exactly what I need. My biggest time waster though is going through the booklets trying to decide which design I want to cut.

I also bought a Gypsy (using an amazon gift card) and that thing is amazing......after I watched several you tube videos.

But after going on the Provo Craft message boards, I'm not scared to update my Gypsy. I think I'll leave well enough alone. I'm very happy with my Cricut system.

I use it for almost every card I make.
Who knew?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

No cricut in my craft room, however, I do have a Cuttlebug, a Big Shot and a Grand Calibur. I love them all. I use to have a Wizard, but, believe it or not I wore it out, so I replaced it with the Grand Calibur which I love because I can cut multiple dies all with different papers at the same time. I had a problem with my GC falling apart inside and I was devastated, however, I contacted Spellbinders in Arizona (I am located in Ontario, Canada) and they paid the UPS shipping and had me send it to them and they fixed it perfectly and returned it at their cost as well. The service was great and the machine runs so smooth now. Spellbinders is the type of company I like to deal with, the one that stands behind the quality of their products. I have never regretted not buying the Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll weigh in here.... I never wanted a Cricut. Then my DH saw a Shopping Channel ad and hollared at me "you gotta see this tool!" I TOLD him outright I don't want one, I love my Cuttlebug. What did he get me for Christmas?? Yeah. Because he is a tool man, he thought I would surely like a tool. This was 3 years ago.

It did see some use for my daughter's wedding last fall when I cut out many E and D's for the programs, and my other daughter needed a phrase printed or made for a class project.

That is all it has done. I wipe the dust off the box occasionally on my way to the Cuttlebug!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a Cricut, and never wanted one, because of the cost and because I knew I'd be too lazy to try to figure out how to use it. However, I did love watching that QVC commercial. I have a Cuttlebug, which I bought first, and a Sizzix. I use the Cuttlebug only for embossing, and the Sizzix only for die-cutting. And I only have the ovals and rectangles Nestabilities!! And the SU! Top Note die. I use these die-cuts all the time. And I only have the very oldest Cuttlebug embossing folders, which I still use all the time. For some reason, I haven't felt the desire to buy the newer embossing folders or more Nestabilities. So, I know that I would probably never use the Cricut if I had one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

The past few years I have been under a lot of stress, depression and mourning. I realized I got into die cutting because it was the one paper crafting area I could get into without Craft Bully attacking me. Like all bullies she did anyway.
I am so sad to read this. Is there anyway you can shut this relative out of your life?? What a toxic individual she must be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

wow thanks yall for all your posts! i was so excited to see this many responses when i got up this morning.... I was literally ripped to shreds elsewhere when i tried to "imply" that the cricut was "less than great" and i'm really glad that this wasnt the case here
That just made me so sad and mad. I know you said earlier you really don't have anyone to craft with. I would craft with you if I lived closer. I have been ripped to shreds too by crafters. I know about those crafter's first hand with higher morals.

When I first got back into stamping I was in one group. I was showing off one of my cards I made and this stamper said to me "Why didn't you use a Scor-Pal?" Well, because I just started and didn't know what a Scor-Pal was. I told her that. She told me not to post anything on that group unless I used a Scor-Pal. I asked if I joined a group that was a sponsor for Scor-Pal. I was told no I didn't join a group like that. The members felt like if I was not going to use quality art supplies then don't share my work. Quality art supplies?! Were they joking? I have always owned quality art supplies. I was so upset I was shaking. I honestly thought that my family member craft bully joined that group. I almost threw my stamps away. I was so upset about it. I just lost my daughter going into my seventh month of my pregnancy. My friends got me into stamping because they thought it would help me grieve. I got treated like that? I am a fighter and I persevered. All of that did put me in a downward spiral. I can understand where your coming from. Plus, it made me really shy about sharing my items now online.

I have your shopping style too. I get anxiety attacks, literally, about buying things. I would have been panicking at $44 for Copics & cardstock. I still would have bought them if I knew I would use them all the time. I weed through crafting items too and try to find ways to make my tools.

I am sorry you were treated that way. It breaks my heart. I know where your coming from. Crafters like that will get their crafting karma.

Greywolf & Sophie- Thank you for the sweet words. I know most crafters are encouraging. I am moving out of State soon to get away from toxic person. I am moving to an area with lots of online crafting girlfriends. I am really excited about moving.

Last edited by lylacfey; 05-28-2012 at 01:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why, why why... it takes so much energy to be an angry person. It is so much nicer to be nice!

DeeAnn, I wish you much excitement and joy in your move. You will have the positive influences you need now and have needed when you were going through your time of grief. (I'm so sorry people weren't there for you :( I just don't understand how that could be.)

Caseynicole, you are much like many of us, me for sure. I'm not a big spender on myself and have a hard time justifying purchases. Don't let even that get you down. I know you mentioned anxiety as a cause and I know that can be debilitating. And just cuz you're a woman doesn't automatically make you a shopper. It's okay to not want to spend much. I rarely go shopping except for groceries and when I do, I usually walk out without anything.

This is usually a very encouraging place to gather and I wish you both happiness
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I was literally ripped to shreds elsewhere when i tried to "imply" that the cricut was "less than great".
I hear ya on that one....Things people on MB's said to me once when I said that I did not really love my Cricut: I am lazy; I don't enjoy the crafting process, just the end result; I lack vision.

Fist I was really upset at the comments but then realized that is just how people can be sometimes. I see ladies in other forums go on and on about how they love the machine, have 5 of them, have 200 cartridges...blah blah blah and I just kind of giggle now. Seems to me that lots of users look at crafting like a competition. Kind of like a "He who dies with the most toys wins" kind of thing and it reminds me of a bilboard I once saw for, I think it was a Nissan 350Z) and it was a huge picture of the car and it said "Be the person the people in the chatroom think you are" BUWAHAHAHA cracked me up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I hear ya on that one....Things people on MB's said to me once when I said that I did not really love my Cricut: I am lazy; I don't enjoy the crafting process, just the end result; I lack vision.

Fist I was really upset at the comments but then realized that is just how people can be sometimes. I see ladies in other forums go on and on about how they love the machine, have 5 of them, have 200 cartridges...blah blah blah and I just kind of giggle now. Seems to me that lots of users look at crafting like a competition. Kind of like a "He who dies with the most toys wins" kind of thing and it reminds me of a bilboard I once saw for, I think it was a Nissan 350Z) and it was a huge picture of the car and it said "Be the person the people in the chatroom think you are" BUWAHAHAHA cracked me up.
CraftyMel your post cracked me up. I can't stop laughing. I have several Cricut's, over 100 cartridges, Gypsy, etc, etc, etc.... ROFL! It's all packed away now so I can take a breather.

Wow, I can't believe somebody told you that your lazy! Wow, that takes guts. Easier to bully on a MB than do it to your face. I always said these cyber crafting bullies if they were at a physical crop and spoke the way they do online and you punched them in the nose they would run out of the room bawling.

I was one of the biggest Cricut users around. You know even on this MB I have told people not to buy the Cricut because I didn't think it was a good fit for them. It's just a silly machine that cuts out shapes. I liked my Cricut when I was using it. That machine was for my type of personality. I am girl who likes cutesy kawaii type geeky things. The Cricut has become too complicated to use. Use the Gypsy, Use the Craft Room, By this machine, By that machine. Can't I just plug in the Baby Cricut and cut out a butterfly? I like simple.

I agree in the last few years paper crafting seems like a competition on who has the most toys is the most talented. Please! Who has the most talent and actually uses their tools is the most talented, lol. My talent flies out the window when I have too many tools. I just set there frozen staring at all that stuff. I am good with minimal tools and my imagination.

Be the person the people in the chatroom think you are" I love that quote. Just cracked me up. I am the same online as I am offline. It's a small world and you do meet your cyberfriends. I am actually not as chatty in real world. I am really quiet. I don't let myself get bullied and cowed down in real world either. I punch people in the nose who try to bully me or my loved ones.

CraftyMel I am going to giggle all week about your post. Thanks for posting it. Made my week.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Be the person the people in the chatroom think you are" I love that quote. Just cracked me up. I am the same online as I am offline. It's a small world and you do meet your cyberfriends. I am actually not as chatty in real world. I am really quiet. I don't let myself get bullied and cowed down in real world either. I punch people in the nose who try to bully me or my loved ones.

CraftyMel I am going to giggle all week about your post. Thanks for posting it. Made my week.
;) Glad I could get a smile for that post! After I hit "submit reply" I looked and thought "Uh-oh, someone is not going to like that post probably!" haha, glad you are lighthearted enough to see the humor in it I can be pretty mouthy but I think the humor gets lost on line. It comes off as being snotty when it's usually sarcasm. Maybe I should use that little sarcasm smiley face? :rolleyes: haha! Sometimes I wish I was a little more articulate though...Remember that show "Designing Women"? I used to watch it and just wish I could be Julia Sugarbaker for just one day! hahaha! She always managed to get her point across!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #39  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

i sold them..... and im perfectly happy with that decision..id rather someone else be able to give them the love that i couldnt... I do have a cuttlebug and i love that thing...i find myself doing more cutting with actual dies in it or punches than anything....

Is there anyone else out there perfectly content not owning a Cricut (or comparable product)??
Like you, I sold my Circut as well. I just couldn't get the hang of it and I'd much rather use my stamps. I'm not sorry I sold it because it was just sitting around and I used the money to buy other crafting items I really wanted.

I sold my cuttlebug too and bought a Big Shot which I use all the time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

I am so blessed to know, stamp with, and chat with such lovely crafters. I've met bullies in other areas of my life and it hasn't been pleasant.

One thing to remember in a discussion like this about a particular product is that not all tools suit all people. Remember what Abe said, "...You can't please all of the people all of the time..." What works well for me might not work for someone else. We each have our personal style. When I said I didn't want the Cricut, I wasn't saying it was a bad machine - just that it doesn't fit my style.

Reply With Quote Likes