Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you like the new Martha Stewart stuff?
Love it! I think it's a GOOD THING! 30 11.03%
It's okay. I might use some. 53 19.49%
It's so-so, but too pricey and/or not that great. 157 57.72%
It's awful! Is this all she could dream up from her cell? 21 7.72%
Martha who? 11 4.04%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmo
If you have a paper trimmer to accomodate it!

I have a DAHLE cutter that is 20" tall so that would work for me. Although I am not too crazy about her lol.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

I votes the so-so way. I went and looked but didn't see anything spectular. I thought about the punches but nothing I can't live without or get from some other maker and use my coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

I TRIED to spend my money, I really did, but was pretty disapointed. I think it was the first time I walked out of Michaels empty handed.

SAHM and SU! Demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #44  
Inking Addict

I thought the bird stamps were pretty and bought a pair of them. But when I actually stamped it, I noticed the bird had a cartoonish look to it. It seemed to be frowning or worried. Maybe it's the way I colored it? I'm still new to stamping so it could be my lack of experience.

I put a pic of it on my blog: http://anyaponya.blogspot.com/2007/0...eyed-bird.html

I also bought a pack of her small clear alphabets and wasn't impressed. I'm going to return them.

Anya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anyaponya
I thought the bird stamps were pretty and bought a pair of them. But when I actually stamped it, I noticed the bird had a cartoonish look to it. It seemed to be frowning or worried. Maybe it's the way I colored it? I'm still new to stamping so it could be my lack of experience.

I put a pic of it on my blog: http://anyaponya.blogspot.com/2007/0...eyed-bird.html

I also bought a pack of her small clear alphabets and wasn't impressed. I'm going to return them.

Anya
I'm under the impression, at this point, AFTER seeing the clear stamps at Michael's, that they are not photopolymer, but clear VINYL???

They may only perform well with chalk or pigment inks, as opposed to dye inks, if that is the case. I didn't buy any of the clear stamps yet, altho there was an alpha I very much wanted. I wanted to get confirmation on what they're actually made of first . . .

Anyhoo, I think I ordered the same pair of bird stamps, and I'm anxious to play with them--if the bird looks sad when I stamp him, mebbe I'll have to give him a little plastic surgery . . . ;) *chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #46  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I'm under the impression, at this point, AFTER seeing the clear stamps at Michael's, that they are not photopolymer, but clear VINYL???

They may only perform well with chalk or pigment inks, as opposed to dye inks, if that is the case. I didn't buy any of the clear stamps yet, altho there was an alpha I very much wanted. I wanted to get confirmation on what they're actually made of first . . .

Anyhoo, I think I ordered the same pair of bird stamps, and I'm anxious to play with them--if the bird looks sad when I stamp him, mebbe I'll have to give him a little plastic surgery . . . ;) *chuckle*
Lol, very cute! Maybe more like ink surgery? :p

Julie, you're absolutely right - the clear stamps are vinyl! I just checked Martha's website and that's what it said. No wonder they felt different!

Thanks for the info!
Anya.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #47  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubink
And as far as her "criminal" background, she paid her debt to society and is being a productive citizen providing TONS of jobs for people. Isn't that what we WANT from people that broke the law? Isn't that the ideal? Aren't we supposed to forgive those who faultered and repented? Just my humble opinion, since this is a poll...
Oh Martha being a charlatan has nothing to do with her little insider trading stunt... I've felt this way LONG before she was finally busted for being "less than the perfect person" like she tries to come across as... I personally think she's about as fake as a $3 bill... JMHO, of course.... but I'm sure her neighbors can attest to the kind of "domestic goddess" she REALLY is...:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a fan of Martha Stewart.. always have been. But I have to say I wasn't "feeling" her line of products at Michaels. The punches and glitter were cool.. but I was hoping for fab designer papers. I can find most of the other embellishments at the craft stores and scrapbooking stores around here at a much better price. I didn't get anything. I walked out knowing I could just get similar stuff at a savings.. her name on the product wasn't enough to make it a "must have."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunaMom
The problem I have with Martha's scrapbooking line is that she jumped on this bandwagon to make money on a sure thing-scrapbooking/papercrafts. If she was in on this from the very beginning with a product line helping to develop and promote the paper crafting industry I would probably feel differently about her stuff. She waits years for the businesss of scrapbooking etc to get established and sees everyone else making sure money on it and then BINGO she hears the sound of Cash coming in and she jumps in with a product line. And then in a very insulting way her execs tell us to do it with more style and innovation (referring to that other thread about the news article about dumpy crappy craft stores not being good enough to carry her product.) They know where the $$$$ signs are and I see that as the main motivater behind her product line when she really could have been an innovater of this years ago. And then being exclusive to Michaels, no coupons no sales etc is just not marketing friendly to folks like us.
That's how I feel. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #50  
Duchess of Dork

Oh, my goodness, didn't realize it was THIS MUCH OF A HOT BUTTON! Her stuff was okay, and, like I said, I'm on a tight budget, so the $1.29 pen & dollar bins were the only thing I could really look at (though I did get a cuttlebug awareness ribbon die). I guess I'll have to go back & look more at the ribbon. The spool I picked up to look at was $5.99 & I don't think it had a lot of ribbon on it, so I thought it was all that high. I'd read Julie's blog, so I HAD to see the ribbons on the flat bottom holder! THat part is really cool. And, maybe you could rewrap other ribbon on it after that one is gone?

You know, I hadn't thought about the fact that you can't cut the paper in a standard paper cutter, either. If you have the little SU tool with the tiny rotary blade on it (or the "cheater version" from---oh, brain burp---the company that makes the Cutter Bee scissors---used a coupon at Hobby Lobby, I think, or Michael's), and a big acryllic ruler (like a quilting one) that would work. Julie's idea of the Fiskar's hand held rotary trimmer would be great! I do have one, but don't think they sell them for paper anymore, or do they? They have the in the quilting section of stores for fabric. Or a pampered chef i-slice!

I'm not a personal Martha fan. I'm such a messy that I almost feel embarassed to watch her show---like she might be spying on me! LOL! Which is why I shouldn't be sitting here but need to be cleaning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #51  
Duchess of Dork

Oh, I forgot to say I like the display, too!

Did someone say you can't use Michael's coupons on her stuff?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Mama
Oh, I forgot to say I like the display, too!

Did someone say you can't use Michael's coupons on her stuff?
The wall display at the Michael's I visited was nicely done and well-stocked, but, the free-standing aisle that you saw as you first entered the store seemed on the bare side, for some odd reason . . .

And, Martha Stewart Crafts has stipulated that the line be excluded from the Michael's 40% off coupons. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to set forth such stipulations; Provo Craft, for example, has excluded all Cuttlebug and Cricut products (machines and dies/accessories both) from the Michael's 40% off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Personally most of her stuff was not for me but I really liked the glitter and some of the punches and the ribbon tape. I didn't buy anything else but thought some of the ribbons were pretty and I liked the kit for the paper flowers but it isn't something I would buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

And, Martha Stewart Crafts has stipulated that the line be excluded from the Michael's 40% off coupons. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to set forth such stipulations; Provo Craft, for example, has excluded all Cuttlebug and Cricut products (machines and dies/accessories both) from the Michael's 40% off coupon.

The other rumor is that her stuff wont ever go on sale. Someone here said thats what a Michaels employee told her. Even thought other companies may not accept the 40% off coupon, its not too difficult to find cuttlebug stuff on sale at stores, like Joanns and also online stores often have sales on cuttlebug. Guess we'll have to wait and see if Martha runs sales or specials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Provo Craft, for example, has excluded all Cuttlebug and Cricut products (machines and dies/accessories both) from the Michael's 40% off coupon.
Actually, it's just the Cricut stuff that is excluded. You can use the Michael's coupons on the Cuttlebug stuff.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN
Actually, it's just the Cricut stuff that is excluded. You can use the Michael's coupons on the Cuttlebug stuff.

Kimberly
Aaaaah, I stand corrected! Thank you!

I haven't seen an actual Michael's coupon in, oh, over a year, I think? Our local papers quit putting the Michael's fliers in them altogether . . . :( Mebbe what I'm recalling are the Joann's ONLINE coupons excluding all the die cut machines and accessories yadda yadda . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went into Michaels the other day specifically to look for Martha's stuff and found this freestanding display. It was ok, but not much to talk about and I was just so befuddled -- what was the fuss over a few items?

I then went about getting the container I needed for a gift basket and took one more stroll around the store (there's always at least one more, isn't there??), and came upon THE MARTHA aisle! Now that's more like it! Lots of stuff in nice colors.

There were two ladies there, liking the stuff but feeling it was a bit expensive.

I thought some of it was lovely, some not what I would buy, and it was just fun to see NEW stuff, KWIM??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #58  
Duchess of Dork

Joan, ours had that, too! I did see some MS books & thought, "Oh, they've pulled out a few MS books since she has her stuff out now." I saw the aisle. I didn't know it would be a whole aisle. THEN I saw that the freestanding shelf area was a MS area---um, yeah, the one with her books on it was a whole little section of her stuff! I must say it's a LOT of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #59  
Embossing Fanatic

Default I thought that her stuff was plain looking. The paper

and the stickers didn't interest me. I bought her glue because it's a little cheaper than my regular brand. The glue works fine.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up

Love the Martha line.

I believe part of the 'deal' was that Michael's had to spruce up their papercrafting area...here's a quote from NSA's website:

[SIZE="3"] In exchange for a commitment from Michael's to reduce clutter by reorganizing its shelves, Martha Stewart Living named the retailer the exclusive bricks-and-mortar outlet for its merchandise, at least until the fall.[/SIZE]

My Micheal's was a mess and now it's much, much better.

Good for Martha, good for Michael's and good for me with more variety to choose from and a muchly (is that a word?) spruced up, organized and mucho more variety in the papercrafting area!

Full article here: http://nsavoices.typepad.com/hwit/20..._stewart_
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirolives
Love the Martha line.

I believe part of the 'deal' was that Michael's had to spruce up their papercrafting area...here's a quote from NSA's website:

[SIZE="3"] In exchange for a commitment from Michael's to reduce clutter by reorganizing its shelves, Martha Stewart Living named the retailer the exclusive bricks-and-mortar outlet for its merchandise, at least until the fall.[/SIZE]

My Micheal's was a mess and now it's much, much better.

Good for Martha, good for Michael's and good for me with more variety to choose from and a muchly (is that a word?) spruced up, organized and mucho more variety in the papercrafting area!

Full article here: http://nsavoices.typepad.com/hwit/20..._stewart_.html
I agree, my michaels was a bit dingy and seemed to always carry the same ol' outdated stuff. Now it seems so much more organized and all the new products gives me hope for Michaels. For me it had became a store that just wasnt worth going to anymore (except the dollar stamps). I wondered too if other papercrafters had felt this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Haven't seen any of it. I have to get to the city to check it out, but I just don't need to get interested in another line of products. I do like punches so may be tempted there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #63  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunaMom
The problem I have with Martha's scrapbooking line is that she jumped on this bandwagon to make money on a sure thing-scrapbooking/papercrafts. If she was in on this from the very beginning with a product line helping to develop and promote the paper crafting industry I would probably feel differently about her stuff. She waits years for the businesss of scrapbooking etc to get established and sees everyone else making sure money on it and then BINGO she hears the sound of Cash coming in and she jumps in with a product line. And then in a very insulting way her execs tell us to do it with more style and innovation (referring to that other thread about the news article about dumpy crappy craft stores not being good enough to carry her product.) They know where the $$$$ signs are and I see that as the main motivater behind her product line when she really could have been an innovater of this years ago. And then being exclusive to Michaels, no coupons no sales etc is just not marketing friendly to folks like us.

YUP. Like she's the one whose gonna "class up our hobby"!!!

and the 18"x18" scrapbook- i read somewhere her explanation is that it's "authentic sized scrapbook from yesteryear". Okay, some things change for a reason!!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

I liked the glitter and some of the punches. But I don't use punches all that much anyway, so it would have to be something like the giga scalloped circle that I went on a wait list to get for me to buy it.

I liked the glitter, but I like Art Institute glitter better and know where I can buy it if I need it. So all in all I was a bit disappointed by her line
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #65  
Inking Addict

I was disappointed. I made a special trip to Michael's just to check it out. I didn't really see anything I just HAD to have. I'll give it another try later on... maybe there will be something new to catch my eye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

I thought it was interesting, and her idea books had cute cards in them.....But I wasn't tempted to buy anything, and that speaks a lot b/c I love to buy crafty things! I was interested in the handle that you glue on to the acrylic blocks, if anyone has tried that, does it help the stamp come out more even???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

I finally got to Mike's yesterday to take a peek at MS stuff. The quality was, IMO, very good. Her color pallete, however, is rather boring. It looks like the same colors she has used for the past 15 years in her home decor. Blah. I wish she was a stamper or scrapper. It would be easier to fall in love with her product if I didn't feel like she's only interested in making the buck!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #68  
Embossing Fanatic

I went, I bought and I have even hinted for a Michael's gift card for Mother's Day, all because of Martha's stuff. I'm hoping the punches I originally went in for have been re-ordered because they were sold out by the time I was able to shop. I figure if I buy a little bit each week it won't be so bad and I'll use my coupon on the other pretties in the store.

Thanks Martha, my old Michael's needed a fresh look!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #69  
Duchess of Dork

Did she design these things? Or does she give ideas to designers? Or does she just say, "Make it a good thing" then give it her name? Never understood how 'name brands' work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 AM   #70  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Did she design these things? Or does she give ideas to designers? Or does she just say, "Make it a good thing" then give it her name? Never understood how 'name brands' work!
Well, considering some of her past "attempts" at stamping, I'd have to say she's probably just a figure head and a design team does all of the "real" work. I'm sure she has given them "suggestions" [sic] on what to do, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #71  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by heather30
I thought it was interesting, and her idea books had cute cards in them.....But I wasn't tempted to buy anything, and that speaks a lot b/c I love to buy crafty things! I was interested in the handle that you glue on to the acrylic blocks, if anyone has tried that, does it help the stamp come out more even???
I bought one and yes the handle does help with that a great deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by heather30
I was interested in the handle that you glue on to the acrylic blocks, if anyone has tried that, does it help the stamp come out more even???
I haven't seen this.. Do you actually have to glue the handle on or is it stuck by suction? TAC has a couple of suction handles. (Nice because you can remove them without damaging the blocks.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #73  
Embossing Fanatic

Sorry, I didn't like it at all. I thought it was pricey and that she didn't have anything overly original. I guess I just expected more because it was Martha Stewart. Oh well, one less thing for me to spend my money. Definately a good thing.

Hailey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #74  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
I bought one and yes the handle does help with that a great deal.
Does the handle stay on well? Does it feel wobbly at all? Can you remove it & use it on other acrylic blocks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #75  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I haven't actually heard the details of the process, but, am assuming that she outlines the basic concepts, and her team of product developers works with the manufacturer to develop the products in keeping with Martha's signature classic style.

Not everybody is into shabby chic, grunge, whimsical, free-style, cutesie, primitive/country, Bohemian, retro, etc.

But, for the most part, Anna Griffin has been the only product line I've observed that actually caters to those with tastes outside of the aforementioned. I think the MS line holds great appeal for those who appreciate the longevity of very simple, but, elegant and classic design, as opposed to trendy.

It's neither good or bad--it's just another option in style that is now available to paper crafters, UKWIM?

I recognize that not everybody finds it as appealing or refreshing as I do, tho. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #76  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm wearing my raincoat because it's been raining here for a week, but I think it might come in handy should any of you wish to pelt me with rocks and garbage: I like Martha. Well, I mean, not personally (I don't really know her, to be honest. She keeps calling, but I haven't had the chance to get back with her... ;) ) but I do like her stuff, whether it's the MSLiving line at K-Mart or the new craft line at Michael's. I agree with Julie about the clean, crisp, classic design and colors. (That robin's egg blue she calls aloe is my all-time favorite!) The image stamps weren't really my style, but I love the papers, ribbon, and alpha stamps. And some of the dimensional stickers were really, really cute. I bought some ribbon, paper, and stickers, and if the word is good on the stamps, there is one alphabet I have my eye on. (I need another alpha set like I need a hole in my head...)

Yes, she's jumping on a bandwagon, but I think it's a bandwagon that appeals to those who have always been her target audience. Is she a little late to the party? Maybe, but I'm glad she's showing an interest because I think it's a good omen for the industry in general. And I love having new toys and lines to be inspired by (though my bank account doesn't love it nearly as much).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Carole, bully for you! Can I jump in and share part of your raincoat?

I like a lot of the Martha stuff, too, although it doesn't seem to be too popular on this board so far. I bought some scrumptious ribbons and a wonderful cornflower punch that is different than anything I have seen.

Martha is of my generation and my contemporary in age. I think I am quite different in personality and temperament, but I admire her for what she has accomplished in her life.

Papercrafting seems to be a natural extension of many things she has brought to the marketplace. Her style may not appeal to everyone, but I agree her target market will surely make these products a success.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well said Buggainok, I found several things I love including that Cornflower punch. It is beautiful, but the thing I really liked about it is that it is so easy and comfortable to use. Some of the prices are a bit high, but we are talking quality here - in a class with Anna Griffin (and I love her stuff). My budget won't allow very much of MS products, but I will figure a way to buy a couple more things I have my eye on. "Where there is a will, there is a way" LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #79  
Embossing Fanatic

Went to town yesterday and went by Michael's to check out the MS stuff. I was not impressed. I mean it looked nice, but nothing jumped off the shelf and screamed "buy me".
Where would you keep a scrapbook that size anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirley Rae
Well said Buggainok, I found several things I love including that Cornflower punch. It is beautiful, but the thing I really liked about it is that it is so easy and comfortable to use. Some of the prices are a bit high, but we are talking quality here - in a class with Anna Griffin (and I love her stuff). My budget won't allow very much of MS products, but I will figure a way to buy a couple more things I have my eye on. "Where there is a will, there is a way" LOL
Okay, of all the stuff she has that I saw, I am still thinking about that cornflower punch myself . . . so, when are you going to make something with it and put it in your gallery? So people can CASE it?
Reply With Quote Likes