Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-20-2023, 08:23 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best general adhesive for attaching card stock

I’ve always used a tape runner but I’m finding cards and scrapbook pages are falling apart. The adhesive appears to have dried out and is no longer holding. It’s not even tacky after 6-7 years. I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this and what type of adhesive you prefer & recommend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

It drives me crazy when I come across some project that has come loose --- and I haven't a clue as to which of the countless glues and tapes I have tried over the years is the culprit. For the last couple of years I have been using Bearly Art Glue, and, so far, it has been fantastic. I put it in the tiny metal tip applicator plastic dispensers and need just a little. You can run fine lines of glue and have maybe 20 seconds or so to position it in place before it sticks for good. Lots of online sources carry it.

https://bearly.art/collections/precision-craft-glue
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by GypsyRoseStamper:
Deb T. (01-26-2023), gobarb26 (01-25-2023), nikischer (01-25-2023), scrapnextras (01-20-2023), Teachybaby (01-25-2023), wavejumper (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 07:51 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

I am constantly trying all kinds of new adhesives (runners, liquids etc) and I first want to say the best depends on your climate.

Ours is hot & humid, and most tape runners fail after a few years.

My preferred right now is the Scotch brand 2-sided tape. I am sometimes challenged to tear or cut the correct length - but it holds!

The Tombo Multi liquid glue also works for me, but I always get sticky fingers so YUK. I do like the Zig 2-way Glue for small pieces that I want flat and the SU Dimensionals go on almost every card I make.

I once invited someone into my craft room to show her new scrapbook pages and they fell apart in her hands - so embarrassed. When I started with SU in 2005 they carried a dispenser & refills for HermaFix squares and I wish these were still available. All those early scrapbook pages held fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by gaylestamps:
Auntie_mky (02-07-2023), joniworx (01-25-2023), scrapnextras (01-21-2023), wavejumper (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 08:19 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I use tombow glue with the green lid nearly all the time. I'm learning to control it better so I don't get sticky fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by muscrat:
Auntie_mky (02-07-2023), auntiof8 (02-21-2023), Chinocookie (01-22-2023), cnsteele (01-28-2023), gaylestamps (01-21-2023), leibetty (02-16-2023), Rosestamping (01-25-2023), scrapnextras (01-21-2023), wavejumper (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Liquid glues seem to last the best for people from what I have seen....

For tapes...a lot of people, including me, like the Sookwang...but that is not a gun format. It is just a roll and you have to cut the lengths. I dont have anything that old to check though on that.

The problem is to really "know"--- something has to be 3-10 years plus old.....
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by wavejumper:
Chinocookie (01-26-2023), nikischer (01-25-2023), Rosestamping (01-25-2023), scrapnextras (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 03:32 PM   #6  

Received 280 Likes on 166 Posts

Another liquid glue user here. I have enjoyed using Tonic Nuvo brand. When I am close to running out, I might try Bearly Art glue. Anyone have a comparison of the two? The Nuvo is white. My Tombo has yellowed. I also love Zig two-way pens for intricate spots on diecuts. I first used Zig in 1998 (or before). It has held up in scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
scrapnextras (01-22-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 05:49 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Another vote for the Nuvo glue. I tried it three years ago and have never looked back. It's not overly "wet" but you have wiggle room when you glue things together. The tip is very fine so no need to put it in bottles with a finer tip. I always have an extra bottle on hand because I don't ever want to be without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by rockybeta:
debable (01-25-2023), gobarb26 (01-25-2023), kami55 (01-25-2023), scrapnextras (01-24-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 02:52 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Liquid all the way

I have used liquid Tombow Multi with the green cap for years and never had issues. I use tweezers to position most pieces to save my fingers. Tape runner has not held up for me, so I gave up on that a long time ago. Sometimes I use the tape on the roll, but it is less cost effective and more work. It does seem to hold up better than tape runner though. The 3M double sided foam tape yellows and gets brittle with time. I use it for cards that I think will be thrown away but not for scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Rosestamping (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 04:14 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

For adhering cardstock panels, I still use the Scotch ATG gun. I still have cards that are over a decade old and still holding together. For smaller items, I prefer the Scotch Adhesive Dot Roller. I typically do not use glue for my cardstock or designer paper layers since it sometimes causes the paper to warp after it dries. Depending on the situation, good ole red line tape is still some of the meanest stuff around....it won't let go of your skin either! lol! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by angelladcrockett:
123scrap (01-25-2023), Chinocookie (01-26-2023), debable (01-25-2023), gobarb26 (01-27-2023), Speechy53 (02-21-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 04:38 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Like many others, I've tried so many different glues over the years. I usually use double sided tape to put layers on cards. I've used lots of different brands but I think they are all basically the same. I have cards that I made 10-15 years ago and the layers are in tact. I usually avoid liquid glue for putting cards together because the paper often warps, but I think in the last few years more and more of the liquid glues have a lower water content so the warping problem seems to have taken care of itself. I've got some favorites — Bearly Art Glue, Art Glitter Glue, and Pinflair Glue-it Bookbinding Glue. For cards I find the Art Glitter Glue creates the strongest bond. For something that is heavy, I use the Pinflair glue. I LOVE it, but I've never found a stockist that carries it here in the U.S. A friend from England brought me the bottle I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bravesfan Linda:
123scrap (01-25-2023), whim6915 (01-31-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The green Tombow glue for me. Works every time and stays put!
Reply With Quote Likes
Auntie_mky (02-07-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:42 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Sookwang Scor-Tape is my go-to for everything, mainly because I prefer to use dry adhesives. I have it in several widths because I also use it to back cardstock that I'm cutting out with a die; I may have to run it back and forth in the Big Shot when cutting, but it works well and it sticks.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Alice in Md:
123scrap (01-25-2023), Chinocookie (01-26-2023), philsmom (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:54 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve had this happen. Liquid glue is far better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2023, 12:55 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I use tombow glue with the green lid nearly all the time. I'm learning to control it better so I don't get sticky fingers.
I hate that stuff. It’s slightly yellow when applied and gets darker with time.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebecca Ednie:
123scrap (01-25-2023), gobarb26 (01-25-2023), joniworx (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:57 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelladcrockettView Post
. I typically do not use glue for my cardstock or designer paper layers since it sometimes causes the paper to warp after it dries.
I filled little organza gift bags with BBs. I use them to weigh down my paper. Only takes about 2 minutes and no warping!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebecca Ednie:
123scrap (01-25-2023), angelladcrockett (01-26-2023), janesprando (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:01 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 671 Likes on 414 Posts

I use Liquitex matte medium (decanted), and any double-sided tape, and occasionally Helmar 450 silicone glue. I don't scrapbook, so longevity isn't too much of an issue for me. The quality matte medium is really truly invisible once it dries, which is perfect for me as I can make quite an inadvertent mess placing elements on the card front!
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

About 10-12 years ago, dot tape was very popular...but it released after a couple years. For the last 10 years of card and mini album sales, I've been using double sided Miracle Tape purchased at the annual February 40% off sale at Viva Las Vegastamps...fantastic adhesion (equal to Sookwang) at a great price...nothing has ever released. For a wet adhesive, my choice is Dries Clear Art Glitter Glue using the tiny metal tip...wonderful adhesion and a little bit goes a long, long way...no warping and nothing has ever released. Dries Clear is great for sequins, buttons and flat backs. I do have a Scotch ATG gun that I use on most of my mass produced donated cards...seems to hold well over the years, haven't had any complaints about layers releasing. For gluing crocheted doilies, flat ribbons and lace trim my choice is usually Fabri-Tac...super strong bond!! E6000 holds heavier stick pins, big buttons, metal embellishments, etc. Flowers and bows are usually attached with hot glue...so far, no releases. As an all-purpose glue, Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue will hold flowers and such, but easily warps paper layers, so just use tiny dots. I live in the PAC NW...hope my experience has addressed some adhesive issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I used liquid Art Glitter Glue (just the name of it - not just for glitter) for several years &still love it. Pros: It’s strong, dries quickly, matte clear when dry, which I love. Cons: dries so quickly you don’t have much wiggle time; can’t be shipped if temperature below 40 degrees.
Started using Bearly Art Glue & really like it. Temperature doesn’t affect it & dries pretty quickly, but leaves you some wiggle time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2023, 04:06 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

this is interesting... I have the ATG 714 gun, and lately it hasn't been rolling for me. I have followed some You Tube videos on how to repair, including using cardstock over the tape are parts to keep it rolling correctly. And, yes, I live in Western PA where the weather gets really cold and that presents a problem as well. I was using the Art Glitter Glue, Nuvo and the Bearly Art and I like all, but also found Beacon 3-in-1 and love it too. I do have the E6000 but it is so thick I can't use it on fine die cuts. My late friend in California used to use the old time Elmers Glue and loved it. She bought it in the GALLON container at Walmart and that was the only glue she used. The only thing that used to fall off were the embellishments on her cards, but it held the die cuts and didn't seem to warp them. I tried it, and it just didn't work for me. I wish my ATG gun worked like it used to, as it was the easiest for larger cuts or even mats for my cards. I also have had problems trying to put any liquid glue into the little bottles with the needle applicators - the glue just won't come out. At this time, my glue is the craft item that I seem to spend the most money on, especially trying all the different kinds mentioned from crafters all around the world. LOL
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2023, 06:38 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am using the Ivy Hollow Scrapfusions PA. It is a permanent adhesive and it works great. I, also, use Tacky glue and mixed media. I use the double sided tape from the dollar store. It is great. One must work quickly because it does stick. I have had no issues with any of these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2023, 07:27 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Mary Polanco did a comparison test of many of the glues mentioned here. To be fair to my fave, Bearly Art Glue, it was not on anybody's radar 3 years ago when the videos were done.

Reply With Quote Likes
wavejumper (02-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 07:52 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 480 Likes on 355 Posts

For larger layers, I use Sook Wang Scor-tape double sided tape. For small die cuts, my current favourite is Bearly Art Glue.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by susanbri:
shirlb19 (05-19-2023), stampwithjoanne (01-27-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 10:02 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Best general adhesive for attaching cardstock

I've been making cards for about 12 years. It can be discouraging to look at cards that I have made for my kids, from some years ago, and see them falling apart. These were cards that I made with tape runner. For the last few years I have been using glue. Either Gina K Connect or Bearly art Glue. I love both of these products. I'll have to see over the years if these fall apart, but I suspect that they will not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2023, 01:34 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

I have cards from at least 15 years ago (some older) and I use Scotch double sided tape, unless it is a narrow piece then I use Sookwang tape. Both stick well unless it piece has a plastic finish, glittery or is embossed. Then I use art glitter or beary glue. The cards are not falling apart at all even though they get taken in and out of plastic sleeves for seasonal decorations. I love that I can use my coupons at Joann or Michael's as it is never on sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 01:19 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnextrasView Post
I’ve always used a tape runner but I’m finding cards and scrapbook pages are falling apart. The adhesive appears to have dried out and is no longer holding. It’s not even tacky after 6-7 years. I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this and what type of adhesive you prefer & recommend
I have the Scotch Tape "Gun" and use it for large printed paper backgrounds on card fronts
I use PVA glue in the frosty colored bottle with the needle nip top. LOVE IT. Dries so fast, and lasts a long time.
Local scarpbook stores sells 8 oz for $10
Amazon sells 16 oz but you don't want to ship it in the freezing weather because it will freeze in transit the bookbinding glue co. told me.
Also I saw a demonstrator use it and she squirts about 5 prays from the Tim Hotlz spray bottle into it, when she 3/4 threfills the little needle point bottle with the bigger bottle. Then she always shakes it up each time she uses it. So I do too. This helps a lot with keeping the needle from not getting stuck in the bottle. Glue dries so fast you want to put the needle point back on right after you use it. Never has failed me. Ready to toss out the roller adhesives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 02:16 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 459 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm another fan of Bearly Art Glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2023, 10:57 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if the issue with tape is the amount used. When I would make cards with a SU demo very early in my card making career she had me use a little tape in the corners and maybe one little bit along a long edge - but not much. Now if I use tape I use a lot more . Mostly I use glue (tombow with the green lid)

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renata JoynerView Post
I use Liquitex matte medium (decanted), and any double-sided tape, and occasionally Helmar 450 silicone glue. I don't scrapbook, so longevity isn't too much of an issue for me. The quality matte medium is really truly invisible once it dries, which is perfect for me as I can make quite an inadvertent mess placing elements on the card front!
I have always wondered if this would work. I love the Ranger Matte medium but it is very expensive for their small bottles. I like the bottle size but have contemplated buying the Liquitex medium to see if it is comparable. Does it pour easily out of the large bottles into a smaller one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been using Reptile glue which I noticed on the market just before the Bearly Art glue. I suspect that the Reptile, Bearly Art and PVA glues are all the same formula, but marketed by different companies. I find that they do not warp the papers when used in small amounts. I use a needle nose dispenser. The Reptile glue seemed a bit runny to me when I first started using it (was used to Aleene Tacky glue) but once you get used to it, it is much easier to control and now I love it!
I still have a scotch ATG dispenser that I like for certain projects. I use it for things that are not cards because it is very strong and not messy to use.
I have other glues of course and keep looking at them, but have primarily used the above 2 lately. Almost forgot - I also use the Ranger multi-matte medium for holding heavier embellishments. I would use it for alot more if it wasn't so pricy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
I wonder if the issue with tape is the amount used. When I would make cards with a SU demo very early in my card making career she had me use a little tape in the corners and maybe one little bit along a long edge - but not much. Now if I use tape I use a lot more . Mostly I use glue (tombow with the green lid)
Quantity could be part of it. But also - burnishing. It puts pressure on the tape to really connect to both paper surfaces. I remember reading this and also be instructed to do it by a lot of different teachers. (But for some reason I rarely do it!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2023, 12:41 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Red face no mess

I find using funnels to pour glue into a small bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2023, 12:42 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Scor-Tape

I swear by Scor-Tape. It has proven to be the strongest tape I have ever found. I have bought 6" to 1/8" inch. Strong enough for boxes, too.
Tip: When having to align cardstock well, I will add a thin line with liquid glue to give me wiggle room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Chinocookie (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 04:28 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I commented on this thread in January and wanted to add another acknowledgement of the Art Glitter Glue (unfortunate name since it does not contain glitter, therefore is misleading for a lot of crafters). I recently "built" the Airship from Stamperia for my great nephew (studying mechanical engineering in college) and the only adhesive used was the AGG. I was SO impressed with how well it held the various pieces and he was impressed with the intricacies and details. The papers that Stamperia uses are not only heavyweight, but also sturdy so when trying to shape it the paper fights back, so to speak. Curving or curling it around a tube is a challenge. The AGG was up to it. I will try to post a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Best general adhesive for attaching card stock-img_0781.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Bravesfan Linda:
Chinocookie (05-11-2023), cnsteele (05-15-2023), fl_beachbum (05-29-2023), katydid 22 (06-08-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 05:08 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

What an amazing project!!! A treasured gift for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Bravesfan Linda (05-11-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 03:58 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using Aleene's Collage Pauge, matte finish. Pour into FineLine tip applicator bottle and it works great for layers, as well as intricate dies. Goes on white, dries clear and has yet to yellow. It's been holding for 20+ years!

Scotch ATG is also very reliable, but the liquid glue is much more economical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2023, 10:38 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Liquid glues seem to last the best for people from what I have seen....

For tapes...a lot of people, including me, like the Sookwang...but that is not a gun format. It is just a roll and you have to cut the lengths. I dont have anything that old to check though on that.

The problem is to really "know"--- something has to be 3-10 years plus old.....
So I save projects I do for craft sales,treat holders that don't sell, I sell them empty,less overhead and they keep,...have had a few that I've had for several years 3+ due to COVID and no issues with sookwang tape. Have it in many widths.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2023, 08:32 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
Your assumption could be true. When I used to go to classes/make and takes the demos would always say “use my tape” but then would hover and make sure you would using small pieces. I solved this by bringing my own. Then I can use more (which typically was needed).
Reply With Quote Likes