Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castaway pad

Hello everyone. Well, I had purchased a Castaway stamp pad that's supposed to give a look as if you had bleached a stamped image on your cs. After you stamp your image with the Castaway pad - you're to wait about 5 minutes for the ink to soak into the cs. Then, using a hot iron set at the cotton setting - iron the cs over where you stamped the image.

I tried this last night and all that happened was the image disappeared completely from the cs. I had stamped the image on the Tempting Turq. cs.

Anyone else had a problem with this? Am I doing something wrong? The place where I purchased this inkpad from demonstrated it and it worked fine (of course) when they showed it at the time. I wonder if I have to use cheaper cs???

Thanks for any input,

A thing of beauty, strength and grace lies behind that whiskered face.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I've used the castaway pads- my understanding is that they don't give a bleach look so much as a different look. On most of the CS I used it on it gave a lighter color, but it turned my green CS an odd purple color as well. Each card stock will turn out differently with the castaway- you really need to just test each one. I also had better luck heating my iron higher than recommended. All in all, it was ok, but it seemed an awful lot of bother for a "not much different" look. I did make a card for my MIL that had the lighter castaway images and the darker versamark images. That was kind of cool- the lighter and darker images were a nice look, but it took a looooong time to make and I wasted a lot of CS looking for the right fit. Good luck- keep trying! Try a darker color next.
Amanda Allison - TAC angel #3779
Lovin every minute of it!
www.amandaallison.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

well crud........I just got mine in the mail the other day...Now I'm upset and I haven't even tried to use it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

You definitely have to try different cs colors and brands to see what works well with this pad. Had good results with Night of Navy...lightened it to a pale gray. I wish it worked better on all cs, though.

Finally....a blog of my own!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I love the Castaway pad !! I think it'll be just like bleach---sometimes we like the color change, sometimes we don't. LOL !! I have gotten some very bizarre changes using Clorox. Thanks for posting this---now I need to see what bleach changes the new in colors to.

Blessings,

Jacque
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I bought one of those tiny Heidi Swapp irons (because it's cute) and because I didn't want to trash my clothing iron. It doesn't get deadly hot (really best for ironing ribbons, so I iron Castaway impressions on the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking pan. The pan heats up enough to speed the process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I picked one up last week, and have used it on SU! Not Quite Navy cardstock and it worked great. I also tried it on the SU! Basic Black, and nothing. NOTHING! Hrmph. I'm gonna keep trying though, because if I add it to the stack of things that I bought and don't use, my dining room table will collapse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the replies everybody. I will keep trying. I also have one of the Heidi Swapp irons and thought it just didn't get hot enough, but since I didn't have luck with my regular iron either - that mustn't be the problem. I will try darker cs and see what happens.

Again, I appreciate all the helpful hints and will keep you all posted on what happens next time.

A thing of beauty, strength and grace lies behind that whiskered face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Did you let your pad rest upside down for a while before you inked your stamp? I found with mine if the pads surface wasn't moist enough it didn't work as well. Also I didn't have much luck with cardstock that has a coated surface like the Bazzill Bling. I have to agree that sometimes I don't like the color change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

In addition to the iron, give your embossing gun a shot. I've had great results with the Castaway with it.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #11  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by *danavee*View Post
I picked one up last week, and have used it on SU! Not Quite Navy cardstock and it worked great. I also tried it on the SU! Basic Black, and nothing. NOTHING! Hrmph. I'm gonna keep trying though, because if I add it to the stack of things that I bought and don't use, my dining room table will collapse.

Oh I feel your pain.... I have the same problem...I wonder if I will ever see the surface of my dining room table again....

Thanks all of you for your info on the castaway pad... Haven't purchased it...but I'd sure considered it...no more!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingSpudView Post
In addition to the iron, give your embossing gun a shot. I've had great results with the Castaway with it.
Ooooh, last real day of vacation before school starts again and I plan to stamp most of the day...I'll be trying the heat gun thing with the castaway pad today for sure!!! Great idea and soooo obvious!!! Makes me wonder why I never thought of that myself :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 04:51 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I had the same problem on my Always Artichoke CS. Thought I'd done something wrong. Guess I'll try something else. Hope I didn't waste my money on that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I went and played with cs scraps and the castaway pad. Used the heat gun and what a time saver. Found it helps to hold it back a little otherwise it tends to burn the ink :0) Found it worked best on the followeing colors:
Bravo Burgundy, chocolate chip, only orange, rose red, really rust, lovely lilac, close to cocoa, real red, night of navy, and elegant eggplant.
I had passable results with:
brillian blue, ruby red, pumpkin pie, not quite navy, pixie pink, bracade blue, perfect plum, handsome hunter, and creamy caramel.

I guess you have noticed that there is no rule about darkest colors being best. Some of the best colors were a big surprise! I also bet these results would change among different dye lots of cs. I'll keep my list for future reference but will test new packages of cs as I use them.
Don't have any of the in colors yet and haven't tried the new basic gray yet either.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default CastAway Ink Pad

Thank you everyone that replied about the CastAway Pad. I did find out that you should use uncoated DYE based paper. How you find that out I don't know, because even store people haven't had an answer. I wish they did know if the paper was pigment or dye based. It would save a big amount of time. If I discover anything else I will let you know
Reply With Quote Likes