Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic ink

is it ok to use Classic Ink in scrapbooks? i only own the classic ink but want to do a scrapbook page...and don't really want to invest in the craft pads yet.

thanks for your help!
Loretta

www.celebratinghome.com/sites/lorettan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I always use the classic ink in my scrapbooks, so I hope its ok to use. The craft ink is so "gooey" and I personally dont like to use in my books. Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 03:26 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I also use the classic ink in my scrapbooks, and have not any any fade yet. They say the craft ink sits on top of the paper, and is not absorbed, so your color stays longer. It takes so long to dry though, that I lose patience and smudge it. I know that I can heat set it, but it just seems easier to stamp with the classic pad, and be done with it.

The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.
-Abraham Lincoln-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 05:05 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I also use classic ink a lot. But now we do have an alternative! The Chalk Petal prints. Those are pigment inks, but they dry as fast as Classic Ink. I love those pads.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 05:42 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Beate-please explain the Chalk Petal Prints further? Where do you find them? How else can they be used?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

I use the classics for my scrapbooks. No problems yet. I am also too impatient to wait for the Craft ink to dry! Great for embossing though!

Natalie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Default classic ink

my demo kept telling me to use Craft and she was right. I DID have the classic fade-sorry guys

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 02:54 AM   #8  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Beate-please explain the Chalk Petal Prints further? Where do you find them? How else can they be used?
they are on page 226 of the catty!!!! I haven't purchased them yet but I love the look Beate has been getting on her cards she has been doing with them
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 03:54 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 217 Likes on 187 Posts

Why you find them in the Stampin Up catalog of course. Page226 and actually they are called petal pointchalk pads
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2005, 03:12 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 180 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Classic fade

I do realize once you actually stamp an image it takes a minute before the classic ink absorbs into the cardstock at this time it seems to lighten up and I've also noticed if you stamp on different types of white cardstock that the image can be a different shade of that colour.

For those of you that had cLassic ink fade
-How long before they fade and how much does it fade?
-do you find one colour more prone to fading than another?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2005, 03:52 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Default classic ink

I know it was within a year and a half. I'm going to a funeral this morning and will try to check to see what color it was that I noticed was fading in my son's photo album.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2005, 06:39 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks I'd appreciate you checking it out. Just curious if all the Classic colours seem to fade or just certain ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

For those of you that had cLassic ink fade
-How long before they fade and how much does it fade?
-do you find one colour more prone to fading than another? [/quote]

I used Classic ink on Tissue Paper and heated it to a candle and it faded completely in less than 8 months. It was not left in direct sunlight, was never used, but was in one of our baggies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Another question are basic brown and basic black fadeproof??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I have always used our Classic ink pads for any scrapbooking I've done (I started five years ago, and have never had a problem with fading). We have been told by SU! that the inks are definitely safe for scrapbooks and fade at the same rate as photos, avoiding direct light or sunlight for any length of time, of course. Now, the Craft pads and any kind of pigment ink will be slow-drying and permanent and will have no fading whatsoever (as will the Classic pads in black and the new brown). By the way, I LOVE the new chalk pads!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 05:53 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Basic Black & Basic Brown are waterproof only.

If you're worry about the colors fading - then you should use the craft ink.

As found in the product guide...

Which should I choose—dye or pigment ink?

Dye inks are more economical, faster drying, and are used in Stampin’ Up!’s exclusive 48-color palette. Stampin’ Pads or Stampin’ Write markers are acid free for use in scrapbooks. They are not, however, formulated to be fade resistant and nonbleeding. The lighter colors are more susceptible to fading than the darker colors.
Pigment inks are typically much thicker than dye inks and can be heat set or embossed to dry quickly. Pigment inks are permanent and will not bleed. Pigment inks are more resistant to fading than most dye inks. Embossing is recommended for metallic inks.

INK PADS
Stampin’ Up! carries a wide variety of ink pads for every stamping need. There are two basic types of ink: dye and pigment.

Dye inks come in a full range of vibrant colors. Stampin’ Up!’s Classic Stampin’ Pads®, Spectrum pads, Stampin’ Kids® pads, and StazOn™ pads are formulated in dye inks to get the brilliant colors you want for your artwork. You can use dye inks on glossy or matte finish card stock or paper.

The pigment inks used in the Craft and Encore!® ink pads are water based. There is no oil in the formulations—only water-soluble, thick emollients and rich pigments that resist bleeding when dry. Use pigment ink on an absorbent surface. If you use pigment ink on glossy or coated paper, heat set or emboss the ink. Pigment ink is ideal to use with Stampin’ Emboss powders. The pads have a long shelf life. Pigment inks are nontoxic, pH balanced, and fade resistant.

Some controversy exists about which type of ink—dye or pigment—is best suited for use in scrapbooks. Many scrapbookers prefer pigment inks because they are more permanent, that is, they resist fading (with proper care) and won’t bleed through pages. Dye inks are less expensive, and since they dry much faster, there is no problem with smearing.

I hope this helps....

Check my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 06:33 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I Just got a response back from SU here's what they said.

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry regarding the differences between our Classic and Craft inks. We recommend the use of Craft ink in scrapbooks. Our Classic pads are dye ink and our Craft pads are pigment ink. Dye ink absorbs into the paper; pigment ink sits on top of the paper and does not absorb. Pigment ink tends to be thicker than dye ink and is often preferred for scrapbooking because pigment inks are more resistant to fading than most dye inks. (However, some dye inks are specifically formulated for use in scrapbooks.) Ours are not. Our Craft inks are also formulated to be used on fabric. Please see the FAQ under the Product link on the demonstrator Web site for more information. Also, all of your product questions can be answered in the Product Guide on line or by using the search function on the Web site.

Because our Classic ink is not archival it will fade over time. How long it takes to fade depends on several factors such as climate and how often the pages are exposed to light. Unfortunately, because of these factors we are unable to advise how long it will take the inks to fade. We are also unable to advise how long it will take the ink to fade if it is not exposed to light. Our inks will not bleed through paper but will bleed when the inked images get wet as they are not water resistant. Additionally, our Basic Black and Basic Brown are dye inks and as such will fade. They are water resistant not fade proof. VersaMark is safe to use in scrapbooks; however, it too may fade if exposed frequently to light.

Please note that while our embossing powder is acid free we do not recommend it for use in scrapbooks.(EDIT wrote back see message below, SU gal made error embossing powders are perfectly safe for scrapbooks)

Our ink cartridges are filled with our Classic ink because the consistency of our Craft ink is such that it will not come out of the cartridge to ink the wheel. If you would like to use a wheel in your scrapbook we recommend that you run your wheel across your Craft pad and then wheel in your scrapbook. Additionally, we discontinued all Ancient Page products.

Thank you again for contacting us. We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us again or refer to the Web site if you have any further questions. Have a wonderful day!

I don't know why they wouldn't have some archival ink in the wheels so you can roll a full 12 inch page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #18  
The Digi-Freak

I use classic pads only.

I hope they don't fade too much!

I've been scrapping with them for over 2 years and none of them have faded at all so far!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

I will have to add craft ink to my wish list then.
Which colours do most of you reccommend for scrapbooking
I'm sure Black is the most common
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

i replied to ds and they made an error infirst post -Embossing powders are safe inSB

"You can use embossing powders in your scrapbooks—they are perfectly safe. Acidity can be found only in inks and papers. Embossing powders are plastic and cannot be acidic. Melissa may have been thinking of glitters, which we don’t recommend as they can flake off and scratch your photos (although they, too, are acid free). "
from Sharee at Demonstrator support
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you so much, Doris, for posting what DS had to say. You asked the exact same ink/embossing questions I've been wondering about this past week. I'm just getting into scrapbooking, and I want my albums to last long enough for my two-year old to show his children.

If the Basic Brown and Basic Black aren't fade-resistant, I wish Stampin' Up! would stop using them in scrapbook samples. It doesn't make sense to me to use one product then recommend another.

Personally, I don't mind the thickness and slower drying time of the Craft Inks. They do produce a different look, but I have even used them on cards with striking results -- I love how brilliant and bold the colors are.

Thanks again!

-Kylie
Reply With Quote Likes