Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you wish they would offer In Colors all the time?
I like the In Color concept.(available for 1 Year) 138 55.20%
I wish they were permanant colors. 112 44.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question In Colors.. What's your opinion?

I personally do not like the concept of the In Colors. I bought Cool Caribbean and Buckaroo Blue last year and when I tried to put in my last order for paper, they were sold out. So now I have Ink pads and refills but no paper to match.:( I'm not saying the In Colors are not pretty, I'm just saying I will not be spending my money on anymore of them. I think it is just a ploy to get you to spend more $. I do not have a job ( mommy hugs won't pay for stamps) so I can only put in an order like twice a year. So whats your opinion? Do you like the idea of SU offering colors for a limited time or do you wish they would be available all the time?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 05:53 AM   #2  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lie anything-if I like it-I buy it. Last year I only bought 1 pad-Cool Caribbean-because that is the only color that really appealed to me.

This year I really like the colors quite a bit so I will be buying them all-they really fit my own stamping taste. But I will also buy re-inkers at the same time (I usually do that when I buy pads anyway because I like to keep mine super juicy! LOL).

Sorry you missed out on the paper. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I loved True Thyme and Cranberry Crisp and I don't make cards fast enough to use it up quick. I tried to buy some paper but it was sold out. I don't know if I'll buy the in colors this time around because it makes me angry that a color I love is all of a sudden gone and I'd rather spend my limited money on retiring stamps than retiring paper. I love paper though so I can always find paper I like at stores (Target for instance had textured cardstock on clearance for $2 last night) I'd hate to be a demo with the way they do things now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

I find i use my markers (for colors) way more then i use colored ink pads so the only thing that really frustrates me about this system is the lack of markers and chalks offered in those colors.

I buy what i like, so i do have packs of the card stock from last years colors and will probably buy some of this years cs in my first order, but i will not buy the pads or the reinkers...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's a ploy to get us to spend more money, but I don't mind. If I like a color, I'll buy ink and paper and use it until it's gone. There'll be another great color to play with next year.

I don't have unlimited stamping funds, either, but it's fun to decide where to put my money. I view it more as "kid in a candy store--anything's gonna taste good!" rather than "grown-up buying a car--gotta be practical and it's gotta last forever."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #6  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I like the concept. It's nice to have some fresh new colors to play with. But don't get me wrong....I'm still mourning the loss of my Cool Caribbean.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I like the concept also. If they made them permenent they would have to discontinue some other colors every year. No thank you! I'm glad that they have fresh new colors EVERY year.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the *In* colors. I love to have fresh trendy things to work with.

I made my own *spots* of in's last year and am doing the same this year. That way I don't have a ton of money invested in something I may not like later!

If I like them I keep them, if I don't...trade them off to someone who does!

Trends, colors and styles change almost daily. I think that SU is smart in keeping something new going!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

I like the idea because stamping is very trend based. I'd hate for the permanent 48 to be changing all the time- and this way we get the colors that are big in the market right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I love the idea!
As in love as I was with Cool Caribbean, I am just as excited about new colors since I havent even used Cool Caribbean in weeks so I guess I am over it now
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

While I feel the pain of those who fell in love with an In Color and were unable to stock up at the last minute, I have a few comments....

1. SU announced early in the catalog year that the In Colors would only be around for one year, and would be replaced with new, "fresh" In Colors, thus their retiement should not have come as a surprise to anyone.

2. When I go to the LSS and buy ink pads/paper/etc there is no guarentee that it will be there to "restock' when I come back next month, thus knowing that you can restock for a year is a plus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

It's not a "ploy" it's business! SU is out to make $$ yes, of course, but they are also interested in supplying wonderful products for their customers. I think the "In Colors" program is a fantastic way to introduce new and fresh colors into our palette, without changing the core family groups.

The colors do NOT "suddenly" disappear, you know NOW that these colors will only be available for a year. So come June 20th, 2008 you know that the colors will become very limited. Buy accordingly.

Last year I only really liked 3 of the colors Caribbean, Marigold and Cranberry. I did NOT buy 15 packs of these colors, I only have 2 packs of Caribbean and 1 extra of Marigold. I figured I'd enjoy working with the new colors, so why get a ton of the old?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

the whole industry has gone to producing items that will be pulled from the shelves in a short time. SU had to do the same to mainain competitiveness within the industry.

You can always use the ink pads with complimentary colors of papers. This might be a reason to buy the spots so that it isn't as painful to toss them when they dry up and refills are no longer available.

That being said, while I love going into a store and seeing all of the new merchandise (in fact, I stop shopping at brick and mortar stores that no longer have new stuff), I don't approve of the whole notion of retiring items so quickly just as a means to get us to buy new stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpercropperView Post
That being said, while I love going into a store and seeing all of the new merchandise (in fact, I stop shopping at brick and mortar stores that no longer have new stuff), I don't approve of the whole notion of retiring items so quickly just as a means to get us to buy new stuff.
I guess we see this differently. There are 48 colors and the neutrals that do stick around in everything from ribbon to paper to brads to ink and paper--waaayyyy longer than with most companies' products at the LSS. I love that there are fresh colors every year, but there are only six of those, and so many more of the "stable" color line.

As you obviously know, companies like SU don't stay in business by selling something once. They need you to buy more, and in the in-colors are a way of keeping customers happy with fresh looks, and keeping the company in competitive with higher sales. It's a savvy marketing tool that SU is exploiting to their benefit--and, I believe, ours!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I love the whole concept of "in colors"..... I hate to lose them when they go away but I make sure to stock up before the ones I really love go away. I have 9 re-inkers and 6 pkgs. of Cool Carribean so I won't run out anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the whole stamping industry exists to get us to spend money, so I don't have a problem with that. However, I don't like buying colors that I know will be gone within a year. But this year's colors are really nice, so I'm not sure what I will do!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

In Colors: What's your opinion

I really dislike the entire concept. I feel like I am always being treated like a consumer instead of an artist. I can't keep up with every new trend.

I do think, however, if they are going to do this, they ought to give people the options to buy markers and chalks or at least put out a set of "spots" for the new incolors. If we love them from the spots, then we can buy the bigger colors.

I was really angry when I finally (after a zillion years) got all 48 of the SU colors that they changed them. Eventually, I grew to like the new colors, but I still haven't gotten all of them yet and now they come up with the "in colors" colors.

Give me a break.

I also think the poll ought to reflect a position for people who do not like In Colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:11 AM   #18  
immzw4

I love the In-Colors. I don't mind that the colors are only available for so long. I've never really done the whole matching thing anyway. I can use the "old" in-colors with neutrals or with the SU! staples that they matched with the day before they retired. Or I can trade them to someone who has something else I want, or I can give them to my little guy to make art for me. The paper won't be wasted, nor will the inks.

And I get new colors to buy and new things to try this year! I'm not as nuts about this year's in-colors as I was last year's, but they'll probably grow on me as time passes and I see pretty things being made with them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the in colours! I purchased several last year and plan to do the same again this year. The trick is to buy anything you need well in advance of the catalog end so that they don't sell out. If they run out in January say, they will make more, but by mid June it just wouldn't make sense for them to make more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I like the whole In Color thing.... yeah, it is kind of a bummer that they are only available for a limited time but I think this is outweighed by being able to have fresh fun colors to play with, without having to revamp the "regular" color families each year.
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

In my ideal world, they would have in colors, and make the most popular permanent. Like Cool Caribbean.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

[QUOTE=STAMPINGODDESS;6353790]While I feel the pain of those who fell in love with an In Color and were unable to stock up at the last minute, I have a few comments....

1. SU announced early in the catalog year that the In Colors would only be around for one year, and would be replaced with new, "fresh" In Colors, thus their retiement should not have come as a surprise to anyone.

2. When I go to the LSS and buy ink pads/paper/etc there is no guarentee that it will be there to "restock' when I come back next month, thus knowing that you can restock for a year is a plus.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly! There are tons of craft supplies that don't ever make it a full year it seems before they are gone. Places make way for the new and upcoming 'hot items' for the season and you are luckly to find it again. At least with SU, we know we have a full year to purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

I like the In Colors concept, and I didn't buy a single In Color anything last year. I was still trying to finish stocking up on ink/paper for the permanent 48. Plus, none of last year's colors 'did' anything for me. Cool Caribbean was okay, but nothing spectacular (and yes, I know I am alone in this, LOL). Now that I have all 48, I am looking longingly at this year's In Colors. That Groovy Guava just speaks to me, LOL.

In my perfect world, the In Colors would be available as stampin' spots. Use 'em up and let 'em go is my motto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

I don't think just the In Colours are a ploy to get us to spend more money -- the whole danged catalogue is a ploy to part me from my cashola!

I like the In Colour concept because it lets SU try out new looks (like the cowboy, boho, etc themes) every year. I liked last year's selection, and like this year's colours even more. They remind me a lot of my fave Bazzill combo pack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like haveing new and fresh things to order every year. If I went to my LSS every month and they never got anything new, I would quit going, and I don't want SU to have the same thing everytime I go shopping either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I view it more as "kid in a candy store--anything's gonna taste good!" rather than "grown-up buying a car--gotta be practical and it's gotta last forever."
Love this analogy! That's exactly the way I feel about it too!

Marcy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

In colors are fun, but it would be good if SU took the top two each year and made them permanent. I'm aware that they are trying to keep a certain number of colors in each color "family" but there should be some way they could keep adding a few more colors each year without having to make the decisions to "retire" any colors.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Have you asked your demo if she has any leftovers of paper? She (or Ebay) may have the paper available for purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgoodView Post
In colors are fun, but it would be good if SU took the top two each year and made them permanent. I'm aware that they are trying to keep a certain number of colors in each color "family" but there should be some way they could keep adding a few more colors each year without having to make the decisions to "retire" any colors.
This sounds like a good idea. I didn't play with them last year b/c I didn't like that I would only be able to use them for a year, but this year I decided to take the plunge. Guess I'll see how I like them in person soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I love the concept. The 48 colors they keep are wonderful.. but it's nice to having something new once in awhile to keep it fresh and mix it up a bit. It's a bummer when they retire but that just means we have 6 more colors coming! I only get what I like, so it's not a big deal. I only got half of the In-colors last time. This time I love them all, so I'll get them all.

I have to agree with others though, in that it would be great if they also offered markers and chalks in the In Colors as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Love the In Colors ...altho it is sad to see them go once their time is up but it is the same for some stamp sets! I will just stock up on the colors I *think* that I can not live without!!!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Last catalog I felt that SU designed this "in color" idea strickly as a marketing ploy. While I still feel that way, I've come to realize they ARE A BUSINESS and have the right to make money! LOL. I'm actually thrilled they have creative marketers to keep their company "solid". So I've changed my mind and now as a consumer, I like the concept. It also seems to be a good solution to keeping some of the "48" from getting discontinued for the sake of a new color.

I figure I have one year to decide it I want to "invest" in purchasing and stalking up the "in colors". In my first order I will be purchasing the in color REINKERS and one pkg. of in color assortment. I plan to play for a few months with these products before investing in ink pads and papger packs.

I too, mourn the loss of cool caribbean, and wish SU would stock the in colors in MARKERS. TFL.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JellybeandreamView Post
I really dislike the entire concept. I feel like I am always being treated like a consumer instead of an artist. I can't keep up with every new trend.

I do think, however, if they are going to do this, they ought to give people the options to buy markers and chalks or at least put out a set of "spots" for the new incolors. If we love them from the spots, then we can buy the bigger colors.

I was really angry when I finally (after a zillion years) got all 48 of the SU colors that they changed them. Eventually, I grew to like the new colors, but I still haven't gotten all of them yet and now they come up with the "in colors" colors.

Give me a break.

I also think the poll ought to reflect a position for people who do not like In Colors.

That's what we are... consumers. Don't make the mistake of thinking SU sees you as something else. We are here to line their pockets, something I'm very willing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I didn't know how to vote because I would like a combination of the two. Bring out new colors every year, but find a way to integrate the most popular colors into the existing families.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
I made my own *spots* of in's last year and am doing the same this year.
I would love to know how you did this

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Last year I only bought one of the in colours. This year I really like several of them. I was thinking of buying the variety pack of colours. I haven't decided if I should buy the reinkers or stamp pads. I would love to know how to make my own inkpads. Does anyone have instructions to do this? Thanks for the help. Lil
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the greatest things about In Colors is that they coordinate with the existing colors. Even if you can't get the paper to match your pad anymore, you probably can use your pad with one of the standard 48 in a pinch. I don't buy the pads but do buy the paper and refills. I LOVE the concept. It keeps the families intact and at the same time keeps thing freshs. I'll keep buying the new colors and use them until they are gone. By the way, this year's colors are really great. I can't wait to try some of the suggested combos on the SU website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvscrapmomView Post
I would love to know how you did this
http://www.welburngourdfarm.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=124

Check those out- that's how I did mine. It ends up costing about the same as a full size pad when you do it- but you have the reinker which will last a long time and you can do all kinds of reinker techniques with it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

I like the in-colors and the concept. I don't like that for that time period it seems like ALL of SU's examples in their publications use ONLY the in-colors - what about the other 48 great colors in their traditional color families?!!

I also wish Su would sell MARKERS in the in-colors. I love my markers!!

Just my 2 cents...

Happy 4th! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 AM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

In colors are fun, but it would be good if SU took the top two each year and made them permanent.
I don't think we are going to be seeing this :(
They've already had to get rid of some of the things - due to lack of sales? lack of space on the pick line?- in the PERMANENT colors (wheel cartridges, individual 12 x 12 packs)- imagine if they added 2 more every year?
Reply With Quote Likes