Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copic - to Ciao or to sketch???

I tried to find the answer and I am sure someone out there knows .it and it has already been posted and talked about ... BUT, I have read so many posts my head is spinning and I am confused ... Don't let the blonde hair fool ya! :-D I have read about the copics for some time and recently received some as a gift from my DBF - however, I didn't realize there were different styles and neither did he. He purchased the ciao style at the local scrapbook store for me ... now that I am playing around with them and reading on SCS the hints and tricks to coloring with them ... I am seeing that most of you use the sketch style ??? Why ??? The local scrapbook store only sells the ciao style ... did he get the wrong style, is one better than the other for papercrafting??? I do mainly cards and 3D ... do I have the wrong makers ?:confused:

Thanks for all your advice in advance ( see I am wishfully hoping someone will help me)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

The only differences between the Ciao and Sketch are the shape, color and amount of ink that they hold. The Ciao come in fewer colors than the Sketch and the Ciao will run out of ink sooner. The Sketch have over 300 colors and I think that the Ciao is around 150. You can use both together in fact I have alot of the Ciao because they are less expensive and I have the Sketch in the colors that Ciao dosn't come in. The Copic's take a little practice to get used to but once you get to know them you will be amazed at the effect you can get with your coloring. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Ditto to what the above poster said but also the number on the sketch markers is on the end of the pen. I love that because of the way I store my pens. Easy to see and find what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Ditto to what everyone else has told you. The only thing I can add is if you want to order more, a good place is www.oozak.com. Their prices are great and shipping is FAST! They have Free shipping wth a $50 order.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I like the sketch markers because of the numbers and color name on the ends AND the oval shape doesn't roll off the table when I am working with them.

My LSS only sell Ciao as open stock, so I order my sketch markers online, usually through oozak.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I was under the impression that the sketch were designed to work with the airbrush system and the ciao weren't. Can anyone confirm that?

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

From what I understand, they will BOTH work with the airbrush system. It is only a matter of putting a small piece of foam or something on the part where the marker goes. I guess that's because it takes up space since the Caio is smaller than the Sketch.

Can anyone confirm this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm quite happy with my Ciao markers.....they work great for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
From what I understand, they will BOTH work with the airbrush system. It is only a matter of putting a small piece of foam or something on the part where the marker goes. I guess that's because it takes up space since the Caio is smaller than the Sketch.

Can anyone confirm this?
You're right...but it's not technically meant to be like that. If you ruin something, it would be at your own risk, as the Ciao weren't really made to work with the airbrush system.

The Ciaos were originally made more for children (in Japan). I would guess that most people buy the Sketch because they come in 322 colors. The Ciao only come in 144 colors. The original ones (the square shape ones) come in 214 colors.

If you don't care about the shape of the marker (round vs oval) you'd save a bit by buying all the Ciaos and then filling in the rest of the colors with the Sketch ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I've been collecting the Ciaos -- mostly because of price, but I also like the shape much better. I have small hands and the Ciaos are more comfortable... I know others have said they like the "feel" of the Sketch. They will all work together so see which "feels" right to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the sketch markers and love them. The brush tip is so easy to use even in the tightest places; it is easier to color in larger areas as well. On the instructions for the air brush system they say that it is to be used with the sketch makers only although I have seen people adapt the ciao marker to fit in the sprayer head. The sketch marker cap for the brush end of the marker has a thin, grey ring around it so it is always easy to know which end has the brush.
I also prefer the feel of the sketch maker; it is more comfortable my hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I have all of the Ciao markers and love them dearly. They were much less expensive. There is a match for most of the Stampin' Up! colors with the Ciao markers. The ones that are not available in Ciao (which are only a few) can be bought in the sketch version.

I have had all 3 different kinds and find that the Ciao and Sketch are the same except for the barrel type and the colors available. I found that having 322 or more colors was overwhelming and really not necessary unless you are an artist. Which I am not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheresaCCView Post
I was under the impression that the sketch were designed to work with the airbrush system and the ciao weren't. Can anyone confirm that?
You can make the Ciao work. Actually, the Copic original markers, (Square barrel) were the ones designed to work with the airbrush. The sketch fit in there just fine but you do have to make sure you line them up correctly. (It's not hard at all but the original line up perfectly by themselves because that opening is the exact square shape of the original maker.)

To the OP, I love my Ciao markers and it was a huge savings as I was building my collection. I am now collecting all the sketch ones that I don't have in the Ciao. I am also smitten with the originals for very small stamps. Love that tiny pointed tip.

You'll get lots of different opinions on which ones you should buy but if cost is an issue, the Ciao will give you lots of pleasure for much less cost.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree... I love the original for tracing as they have a small nib. But I built my collection with CIAO's... Either are good if you aren't airbrushing.
I never felt like I missed out...

GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for the Ciao's. I figured for the same money I could have more colors. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you to everyone who has offered your opinion !!!! I feel much better !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done the same as Gina. I started out with all the Ciaos and have filled in colors with Sketches. I have a few Originals too.... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
You can make the Ciao work. Actually, the Copic original markers, (Square barrel) were the ones designed to work with the airbrush. The sketch fit in there just fine but you do have to make sure you line them up correctly. (It's not hard at all but the original line up perfectly by themselves because that opening is the exact square shape of the original maker.)

To the OP, I love my Ciao markers and it was a huge savings as I was building my collection. I am now collecting all the sketch ones that I don't have in the Ciao. I am also smitten with the originals for very small stamps. Love that tiny pointed tip.

You'll get lots of different opinions on which ones you should buy but if cost is an issue, the Ciao will give you lots of pleasure for much less cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I also started off with the Ciaos primarily based on the price. For the most part I was able to get two colours for the price of one Sketch marker (basically at my LSSs up here the Sketch markers are $8-9 whereas the Ciaos are around $3.50).

I have recently been rounding out my collection with the Sketch markers but honestly I don't find them any better than the Ciaos.....I do like the numbers on the ends but as for rolling off the desk etc. that's not an issue for me.
Reply With Quote Likes