Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Copics described as a trend

There's a really fun thread in General Stamping about trends you like and those you've passed on, and also what you think might be the next "big thing."

What bugs me is that Copics keeps popping up. Am I the only one that doesn't think Copics could be considered a trend at all? Not in the sense of being current, in fashion, the latest popular thing that is going to fade away when the novelty wears off.

To me, Copics can only be considered a trend as in .... trending toward being widely used on cards and in papercrafting.

Copics are no more of a trend than watercolors, colored pencils or any other coloring medium. Besides, how many of us could invest in Copics only to let them fade away into disuse!?!?!

I'm posting this here because I know there's a lot of Copic talk in this forum. Just wondering... am I the only one who doesn't think Copics belongs in the trend category??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was kinda surprised to see it there but I can understand it if people have seen Marvy's, watercoloring, pencils etc go in and out of fashion. I think only time will tell but I can't see people who have invested in them just stop using them. Its a bit like saying SU products are a trend. I bet they aren't for the people that have them.

I like my copics too much for them to be a trend - they are the first coloring tool that I have come across that I just adore using. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy watercoloring etc but I just really like the vibrancy I get with the copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think Copics are a trend as in something else will eventually come out that are even better. Markers are not a trend, they are tools, but the brand/type can be considered a trend. The same could be said about rubber stamps. Stamping is not a trend, but the type of stamps you use may be part of a trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I think sometimes people confuse trendy with popular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I think you are right about people confusing TRENDY with POPULAR. Isn't it the same way with the CUPCAKES?

But reagrdless of the definition, coics are wonderful markers and not cheap, so I will be using them "forever." I have a lot of money invested in these "babies" to let them just sit on a shelf and collect dust! Of course, I will go back and forth with all my coloring "tools", medium or whatever they are called!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Don't think Copics are a trend but agree that they are popular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

There have been on the market for more than 30 years.. 10 years in the US, so I doubth they are just a trend....

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Trend: "style, vogue, prevailing tendency"

Trendy: "following the latest trends or fashions"

Popular: "regarded with favor or approval"

So, Copics are a trend, trendy and popular.

I agree with those on the other thread who listed Copics as a "trend" they are letting pass them by. Copics may have been around for a lot of years, but they are serious artists tools (with correspondingly serious prices!!!) that have been co-opted by crafters.

I like having "good" tools, but there is good and then there is unnecessarily expensive and advanced. Most of us will never use the Copics professionally, most of us will use them only to make cards that are, after all, paper and ultimately disposable, and most of us lack the skill to use them in ways that require them. For those who really have the disposable income to spend hundreds of dollars on markers, it's great that you can afford something way beyond the reach or skill of most stampers. For the rest of us, Prismacolors (bought on ebay at a small percentage of market value), Bics and Sharpies give us bright color and the same blending capabilities.

I think once the "trend" for Copics wanes- and that can happen easily both for financial and style reasons- there will be a lot of people with a month's mortgage payment worth of markers who may well have regrets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine ever regretting buying my Copics! I love Prismacolor pencils, but, once you have some basic skills, the Copics are so much faster to color with. [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #10  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't regard copics as a trend either. They were invented in Japan at least 25 years ago. I just love them - they are so much easier to colour with than gamsol magic.

There are many alcohol markers on the market - Promarkers, Tria - but I think that Copic is trying to appeal to cardmakers - and they are succeeding. They have just come out with 12 new colours - very pale ones - because card maker asked for them.

There are many lovely ways to colour - but I just love my copics!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

A wise man once told me that it's important to get the best tool that you can afford. What you can afford will change over time.

Copics are a tool. Yes, they are trendy in the sense that they are really popular right now. There will be those who buy them because of that, try them, and let them sit for a variety of reasons. There will others who buy them and will love them and see them as an investment. Very few people plunk down x amount of money and buy the whole collection at one time. Most, like me, got a few, tried them, liked them, and then continue to add to their collection when they can afford to do so.

I love the fact that they are refillable and that the nibs are replaceable. They don't carry a strong odor. The caps stay on securely. Like a good tool, they can last for quite a while.

Will there be another coloring medium that comes along? No doubt. Will I try it? Probably. Will I invest in it? Don't know. It depends if that medium is a tool that I can use effectively and will want to use on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I've bought many tools and I can say that the Copic marker are my favorite tool. Yes, they were expensive but they're a fabulous product and reusable unlike other markers or pencils.
Just looking at how long they're been on the market shows they're not a trend. I can see many more people using the Copics.

...and everyone keep buying so we can have a great supply and selection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally consider copics a trend in the paper crafting world. I have to admit though that I didn't pay a lot of money for mine because I found two sets (120 and 36) for 75 % off, so I didn't really invest into them and would never have gotten them without this deal.

I can imagine that once paper crafters discover another amazing coloring medium that some of them might sell their copics on ebay etc, to be able to get the new coloring medium. Don't know if I would, because I love them too much, but then again, who knows...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was one that listed copics in the " trends I will pass on " category. But it's true, I realized even as I was posting that trend probably wasn't the correct category. Frankly I would love to have a set of copics. I know I never will though, because I just won't spend that much money on them. When I get a chunk of disposable income I blow it all on stamps. Also, I have a large set of Bics, but I wasn't satisfied with them because there really weren't any pale shades. So I bought several Dick Blick alcohol markers @ $1.49 each and voila! Problem solved. I now have the vibrant colors of the Bics along with the pale colors of the Blicks. Bics and Blicks - a perfect marriage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it would be interesting to see "how expensive" copics are in the long run compared to other coloring mediums that you have to fully replace when you run out. The consumables are relatively cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

oh my word, I just could not imagine coloring with anything else. I love the Gamsol/Pencils, but they are very time consuming to get that look that is just right. Copics are very fast, get a great look, and a true investment.
I sure hope they do not fade out...like the flowers, or the bottle caps, or even those fun fibers...I think I have enough of those to sink a ship...

My blog @
www.kreationsbykrissy.com

TIMMY HO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I personally consider copics a trend in the paper crafting world.
I agree with this. I was intrigued by what others were doing with Copics. I did my homework and didn't want to spend a lot of money just to try them. I bought some when Hobby Lobby had them on sale for 30% off. I got a couple of shades that would blend together in a few different color families. I absolutely love them. I will add some to my collection occasionally but I cannot afford, and do not need, every single Sketch color (unless I hit the jackpot ;)).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I figure they are a "fad" in the papercrafting world--the latest "in" thing to have. I, however, just don't get it. My prismas are fine by me. Yes, the gamsol technique may take longer, but it's what works best for me.

Trendy? I don't do trendy. This is why I don't have a Cricut either.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathiRView Post
A wise man once told me that it's important to get the best tool that you can afford. What you can afford will change over time.

Copics are a tool. Yes, they are trendy in the sense that they are really popular right now. There will be those who buy them because of that, try them, and let them sit for a variety of reasons. There will others who buy them and will love them and see them as an investment. Very few people plunk down x amount of money and buy the whole collection at one time. Most, like me, got a few, tried them, liked them, and then continue to add to their collection when they can afford to do so.

I love the fact that they are refillable and that the nibs are replaceable. They don't carry a strong odor. The caps stay on securely. Like a good tool, they can last for quite a while.

Will there be another coloring medium that comes along? No doubt. Will I try it? Probably. Will I invest in it? Don't know. It depends if that medium is a tool that I can use effectively and will want to use on a regular basis.
I have to say that everytime I forget this, I end up spending way more trying to make something work when the right tool works faster and better.

I love to use Copics to color, I also use Prismas and Watercolor pens and pencils. They all do different things well.

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
There's a really fun thread in General Stamping about trends you like and those you've passed on, and also what you think might be the next "big thing."

What bugs me is that Copics keeps popping up. Am I the only one that doesn't think Copics could be considered a trend at all? Not in the sense of being current, in fashion, the latest popular thing that is going to fade away when the novelty wears off.

To me, Copics can only be considered a trend as in .... trending toward being widely used on cards and in papercrafting.

Copics are no more of a trend than watercolors, colored pencils or any other coloring medium. Besides, how many of us could invest in Copics only to let them fade away into disuse!?!?!

I'm posting this here because I know there's a lot of Copic talk in this forum. Just wondering... am I the only one who doesn't think Copics belongs in the trend category??
To be honest, I think I still love every technique I ever learned and don't consider any of them a trend. Shortly before Copics got hot in the stamping world, people were buying Prismacolor markers like crazy. I had just purchased a huge set and then, it seemed like the next week, Copics came out. I passed on the Copics for a while but then I had to try them. Now, I love them both. I still use my Prismacolor markers and sometimes I mix them!
(Shhh, don't tell anyone. LOL!)

I don't think Copics are a trend anymore than I think "rubber" stamps are a trend. Rubber has been around forever. (I have an old box of real "rubber" stamps from my Grandfather from about 70 million years ago and they still work as good as new!) Good stuff stays around a LONG time. Never fear! Love your Copics.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some (about 17) Copics but truthfully i do not care for them. I like Prisma Markers better. Copics are nice but not for me.
I think they will remain popular for a long time to come. As was mentioned - they are costly and Copics users will continue to use them for quite some time to come. And they do have nice effects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I think they are a trend in the paper crafting world. I recently was gifted with an issue of Somerset Studio's first ever issue of their magazine. The issue was dated around 1997 (I think). Reading it was hilarious because a lot of "today's" trends were in there. It really made me think of stamping styles.

I am buying them, slowly, because I am an artist who will use them for something different. I do think they are a trend in the paper crafting world. There is already another marker that is starting to make "waves" because it is cheaper.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

To me Copics are a trend like Clear Stamps are a trend.

Probably came on the scene the same way too. And although clear stamps are specifically focussed at stampers both are pretty much here to stay , trend or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I was thinking the same thing after I responded. I don't use Copic markers because they are popular or trendy. I like that they color more evenly. No, I am not a professional coloring artist and I don't care. I like them. And after I realized they are not much more expensive than Stampin Up water based markers I decided to purchase some. I do prefer the cheaper Ciaos unless there is a color that is not available in the Ciaos then I purchase Sketch markers. I am on a limited budget so my collection is quite small. I have maybe 20 different colors and that is enought for me right now.

I have no regrets. I do on the other hand have many rubber stamp purchase regrets. I am much more choosy on that type of purchase.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I consider it a trend. I had a post going that listed all the "must have" ways that we had over the years to color. There was the yer of the "have to have the watercolor crayons that SU makes" - oh that stretched on for a bit, that seems to have died down since Copics and others came on board. Before that we had the have to have the prismacolors with gamsol trend. There was the twinkling H20s we all had to have, etc. So I totally DO see the copics as a trend, because I am sure none of us expected to buy the wonderful SU watercolor crayons and then never use anything else at all to color in our images that came along. Get what I mean? So I do consider it a trend.

And some of us do continue using things that once were "hot trends" i.e. decorative scissors. I never got rid of them. No I don't use them on my scrapbooking pics anymore but I do use them for many other ways including making cards, etc. So while they were a hot trend years ago, no I don't consider ever pitching my decorative scissors just because they aren't in style anymore. I find other uses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

It may be a 'paper crafting' trend but I am learning alot about art and drawing and color shading by using them. I can see myself wanting to learn more and possibly taking my skills to a whole new level by learning how to draw and color my own images one day. I recently acquired almost all of the 60 sketch colors Michael's carries because of a fantastic sale plus coupon they had and then an employee appreciation of 50% off sale. I paid $3.14 each for the first ones I purchased and then $3.50 each for the next ones I bought. I ended up spending alot in total but was thrilled to be able to get them at such a great deal and so far I am very happy with my haul.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I think it would be interesting to see "how expensive" copics are in the long run compared to other coloring mediums that you have to fully replace when you run out. The consumables are relatively cheap.
While copics are not "cheap", I think people may have the impression that they are extremely expensive - but compared to what?

A copic ciao marker can be found on some internet sites for as low as $3.17 - and with free shipping if you buy enough.
Stampin Up Markers are $3.50 plus shipping.

Most people don't really comment on how much SU markers are, but they are actually more expensive than copics!!

Go figure!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I feel the only way Copics would become a passing trend is if coloring images became unpopular. I can't see that happening.

I am able to get good results with Copics that I was not able to get with Su/Tombow markers or Prismacolors and Gamsol.
I have seen beautiful coloring in the gallery that was done with Su markers or Prismacolors. So it may be just my lack of artistic training.

They are not cheap, but I use them on nearly every card I make. Plus I can spend an entire evening just coloring for the joy of coloring.
I'll bet some have spent more on cartridges for a Cricut. And if they thoroughly enjoy using them it is money well spent.
That is what it is all about. Enjoying what we spent our money on.

I am deeply indebted to all the artists who gave of their time and talent to make videos and tutorials on how to use them

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 10-24-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

We used to make cards stamped with coloured ink or even just paper. So I think that colouring stamped images is the 'trend' rather than Copics.

But as so many of us have commented on the joy of colouring for the sake of colouring, and the fact that the technique lends itself to so many styles, I suspect colouring stamped images will go on for a long time to come.
Reply With Quote Likes