Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cricut

Does anyone know if you can have it cut your own words or does it have to be the phrases they have? Which would you get this or the big shot?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I just got my new 'baby' ~ 'toy' ~~ (so excited) so I don't know much, but it comes with a 'font' that has a cartridge & a rubbery keyboard cover & you can 'spell' out whatever you want!!!

I'm not even sure if they have phrases at all...

As for the Big Shot ~ I don't know what it is ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I don't know anything about the Cricut but from everything I have heard I would get the Cricut before the Big Shot.

But, I have heard that the Cricut has a hard time cutting through the SU cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First, Cricut cuts through SU cardstock with no problem. In fact, it cuts cardstock better than thinner paper!

Second, you can cut out individual letters and the words that come on the cartridges. For example, one cartridge has "thanks" and the letters are all connected. If the word isn't on the cartridge, you can only cut out individual letters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I FINALLY got it out of the package & started playing! Oh, so much fun ~~ for my girls, at least... They each wanted EVERYTHING! Stars & moons & hearts & suns, & I snuck in a tag or two ~ I want to make my own for Xmas (I have the punch, but this is just too easy)

I had to adjust the blade length & pressure to get it to cut all the way thru my GP white cardstock (from Walmart). I think I need by the accessory that will help me get the die cuts off the sticky pad (although it's getting easier). Oh, & I bet I need extra blades on hand as well, booklet indicates that cutting thru cardstock dulls the blade quickly...

But overall, fun, fun, FUN... (was it worth the price ~ wellllll, if I can force myself to start scrapping again then yes, otherwise, ummmm....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's definitely worth the price!! There is NO comparison between this and a manual die cut machine, Crciut is easy and quick, and without a doubt versatile!! You can't go wrong with the Cricut!!

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water.~Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I have played with the cricut and I like it. But I have heard the Wishblade is more versatile...no cartridges to buy(although it is going to sell for $100 more). From what I understand, if you can get a font from the computer the Wishblade can cut in that font. I haven't seen them in stores yet. Scrapbook Answers for June did a comparision on the Die Cut machines. It is pretty informative! As for the Big Shot, I've never heard of it. Is that the one from Pazzle?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I was at my LSS last Friday cropping and I saw 5 cricuts there. I think 3 were just purchased that night. One even had the cricut bag with wheels. I'm a gadget junkie. If I had the extra money (of course, after I purchased everything off my SU! wishlist) I would buy the cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think the big shot is from Ellison.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 04:59 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I got mine about 6 weeks ago and I love it! I used it so much in the first week I had I'm sure I have not wasted my money. I have used it to make 6 sets of monogram cards because I do not have a large alphabet yet. I have about 5 cartridges so I have a variety of phrases and fonts to choose from. I also love that you can change the size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Yes big shot is my ellision. I have the sizzix and I thought the big shot would add to it(could do the borders and they have some cut and emboss dies). Do you think the cricut is mostly for scrapbooking?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

The Cricut is not just for scrapbooking though I'm using mine like crazy while scrapbooking. The Cricut cartridges are fonts and shapes so I've used the shapes for cards where before I would have needed a punch to get these shapes. I use the fonts too to make small words to put on cards....that is the beauty of being able to control what size letter or shape you are cutting. Cuts SU cardstock with no problem. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Cricut!!!! HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I've had my Cricut exactly one week today! And I love, love, love it!!

I use it for cards, scrapbooking, name signs, tons of stuff!

Here's what I've learned so far and I only have (at least for now) the George font it came with:

* Use a Pampered Chef pan scraper for an inexpensive paper scraper for your cutting mat. Those little pieces come right off.
* Make sure you have an extra cutting mat on hand as they can lose their stickiness quickly.
* Select the "sign" feature, put on the 1" setting, and select a flower/letter/shape. Cut - and you've got mini ones! The Cricut places the shape in the center of the "sign" so its much smaller than 1". I love baby flowers!
* It cuts through SU cardstock easily with the internal blade setting at 3 and the dial setting at 4. The more intricate the design, then I use 5. Also, the thicker the paper, the faster you want the blade. Mine flies right through SU paper.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been looking for some reviews on the Cricut. Thanks for the information. Does a cartridge come with it, or did you have to buy that seperately?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmo16
I have been looking for some reviews on the Cricut. Thanks for the information. Does a cartridge come with it, or did you have to buy that seperately?
The original package comes with one cartridge (George). But if you buy it from QVC, their package includes another exclusive cartrige (Doodletype) for about $260.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 03:48 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
* Use a Pampered Chef pan scraper for an inexpensive paper scraper for your cutting mat. Those little pieces come right off.
* Make sure you have an extra cutting mat on hand as they can lose their stickiness quickly.
* Select the "sign" feature, put on the 1" setting, and select a flower/letter/shape. Cut - and you've got mini ones! The Cricut places the shape in the center of the "sign" so its much smaller than 1". I love baby flowers!
* It cuts through SU cardstock easily with the internal blade setting at 3 and the dial setting at 4. The more intricate the design, then I use 5. Also, the thicker the paper, the faster you want the blade. Mine flies right through SU paper.

HTH
I agree with all of the above!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
Now I have a question! When you say the internal blade, are you talking about the tension on the blade itself or the dial on the side?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladylinks
I agree with all of the above!

Now I have a question! When you say the internal blade, are you talking about the tension on the blade itself or the dial on the side?
The blade itself - and I was wrong, I actually have mine set at 4 (sorry:oops: ) and then 3 to 4 on the dial - My SU black is much thicker and ran into a problem the other day. (and as the blade gets duller, I've just been upping the tension)

Personally, I'd rather have a higher tension and go a little deeper into the mat than waste the cardstock. And I have found that the thicker the paper the faster the speed setting should be. I have the speed set and 5 and just blow through my cardstock. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I have a question about the Cricut. If I am in the wrong thread, I apologize. I received one for Christmas. I cannot get the hyphen to print. I tried using the shift key. I wanted to print Happy B-Day. Can anyone HELP me? Thanks!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I also have a question about using Adhesive, do you run your cardstock or paper through with adhesive already added? I cut "Thinking of You" and it's so thin that I don't know if I would be able to get it glued without it runing out the side but I am afraid to run it through my zyron first. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes