Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut

I have a dumb question! What is the difference between the Cricut and the Cuttlebug. Which one is better and which one offers more things to do on it.

Liz Moran
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I am still researching...I guess they both have their merits...it depends on what you want to use it for.

Go read this thread...i thought it was helpful

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

this one has good info too...i am leaning toward the cuttle bug

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cuttlebug costs around $80.00 retail and is a standard die-cutting system. the bonus is that it accepts ALL brands of dies : sizzix, quickutz, sizzlits, cuttlebug, bosskuts, zip-e-mate, etc. it can do this because of the different thicknesses of pressure plates that comes with the machine. AND you can quickly emboss an entire cardfront with the embossing plates that are available by cuttlebug.
the cricut is an electronic cutter that uses a single blade in conjunction with cartridge packages that are sold seperately. The font cartridges will cut from 1" - 5.5". There is a sizing dial on the machine. The cricut is $300.00 retail and it comes with a basic shapes and "george" font cartridge.
the cuttlebug comes with nothing but the pressure plates and the font dies are $80.00 retail and you are limited to just that size of font.
now, do I think one is better than the other? NO! I have both! I'm a "gotta have it all" kind of girl. standard die-cutting systems will cut foil, thin metal, paper, craft foam, fabric, thin wood, etc..... the Cricut ONLY cuts paper and cardstock, and does not emboss.
Only you can decide what is best, based on your main priorities! HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Bugdoo, I am with you! I own both of them and also have the Sizzix. Love them all as each has wonderful assets! But my fav is my Circut! It has seen mucho use since I bought it in July. Am not real impressed with the new cartridges, except for Opposites Attract. The font looks like the SU word stamps...
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

seriously, do a search for both, here on the demo only forum and the general stamping forum. There are a ton of threads about them. I warn you be prepared to spend money. Everyone around here is an enabler and you will get addicted even before you purchase one (especially the cuttlebug! it happened to me).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Dont know if anyone has mention this or not but what is the USB port on the back of the Cricut for??? Just wondering if in the future you will be able to do some type of cutting from the computer??
Just got a cricut for a Christmas present Santa was very good to me.
Sharon

*��)
�.� ��.�**��) �.�**�)
(*�.�� (*�.�' Sharon*��)
�.� ��.�**��) �.�**�)
(*�.�� (*�.�'

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sims700
Dont know if anyone has mention this or not but what is the USB port on the back of the Cricut for??? Just wondering if in the future you will be able to do some type of cutting from the computer??
DH & I were just talking about this today, his thoughts on it (he's a comp. programmer) is that they are developing a software type thign that we can buy instead of the cartridges.

My thought is...that the software (I think he is right there) will work with the cartridges where they will have more creative features (like attaching letters in different ways or shadow type options), and maybe a word type program that would allow us to manipulate the images on the cartridges that work with one or 2 cartridges, then a 2nd CD/software system to work with a few more cartridges...then a 3rd....of course meaning we still have to spend more to get all the benifets of the add on programs. And each CD would offer a few more extras...maybe shapes/animals/etc..another feature I think (or dream) it will offer is to cut an image from top to bottom rather then side/side - meaning we could get 5.5 X 12" long letters (or any inbetween size)

Hmmm...this all sounds more like what I WANT it to do! LOL!! Oh well it was a thought! I guess wee will wait and see...I am so curious what comes of it though. either way I love my cricut!

Oh Bother - Winnie the Pooh
Reply With Quote Likes