Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so cute thanks for sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennunderView Post
Like a lot of the others have said, my favorite is the Storybook Cartridge. I also like the A Child's Year cartridge too for the neat silohettes and font. Since purchasing SCAL in Sept. I haven't used my cartridges all that much lately. I am having a lot of fun downloading pictures, tracing and cutting them out. I just finished making 180 lollipop Ruby Slipper favors and 33 Munchkin tags for a benefit auction using the SCAL program. Here are some photos on how they turned out.

Munchkin tags

Munchkin tags on bags

Ruby Slipper Lollipop party favors
Blog

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #42  
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are all great. I love seeing what people are doing. I just got mine in January so need inspiration!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennunderView Post
Like a lot of the others have said, my favorite is the Storybook Cartridge. I also like the A Child's Year cartridge too for the neat silohettes and font. Since purchasing SCAL in Sept. I haven't used my cartridges all that much lately. I am having a lot of fun downloading pictures, tracing and cutting them out. I just finished making 180 lollipop Ruby Slipper favors and 33 Munchkin tags for a benefit auction using the SCAL program. Here are some photos on how they turned out.

Munchkin tags

Munchkin tags on bags

Ruby Slipper Lollipop party favors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #43  
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaysheView Post
I wish George had come with my machine. I haven't been able to find it anywhere but E-bay and I don't do the bidding thing.
Thanks for the input ladies.
You might post in the wanted section of the buy/sell/trade forum here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
My go to cartridge is actually Plantin School Book that came with my Expression. I also use Story Book, Calligraphy Collection and Street Signs for lettering.

I have one of the older Expressions, when it stops working, I'll invest either in another Expression, the E-2 or whatever is on sale for Black Friday (if the machine dies around that time). I do want something large like the Expression, because I like cutting larger images for bulletin boards and such.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had never heard of the Calligraphy cartridge before. You just added a new one to my list, I was trying to reduce not add. lol
Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I know this is a tough question but what is your favorite Cricut cartridge?
Now that is a tough question because there are so many great carts! Right now I am really liking Kate's ABC's and Campin Critters. For my Imagine machine the cart that came with it is super called Imagine More. Really like it a lot!

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #47  
Glitter Queen

Just subbing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have an odd question. I am pretty sure I read how to emboss with your cricut by turning your blade upside down. Now am I imagining this or can you actually do it this way???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

that would be interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #50  

Well I did more searching the net for it. How to Emboss with your Cricut | Pink Cricut So I'm not completely losing my mind. lol...

I just tried it and it worked. It came out faintly but it worked. I will have to try it with more pressure next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

that is soooo cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #52  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessdi69View Post
Well I did more searching the net for it. How to Emboss with your Cricut | Pink Cricut So I'm not completely losing my mind. lol...

I just tried it and it worked. It came out faintly but it worked. I will have to try it with more pressure next time.
do you have a plastic or metal blade housing? I have metal and tried it and it worked too but someone said on a message board that it could ruin your blade housing. I'm not sure how. I wonder if the shapt part of the blade should be snipped off first?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #53  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
do you have a plastic or metal blade housing? I have metal and tried it and it worked too but someone said on a message board that it could ruin your blade housing. I'm not sure how. I wonder if the shapt part of the blade should be snipped off first?
I have the metal blade housing, which I just realized is my deep cut blade/housing. The other blade housing I have is the plastic for just regular cutting. I too wonder about snipping off the blade. hmm...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Question

Hi Ladies,

I feel like such a dummy for having to ask this as I've learned to do pretty much everything I care to do with my Cricut Expression except for one thing...ENVELOPES...and it is about to drive me nuts. Can you cut an evelope that will be larger than 5" sqaure? I have cut using fit to page and nothing is getting me anything larger. I read somewhere that if you were using wild card you shoul cut the enevelope first using fit to page and pay attention to the size it calculates and then cut your card at that size. Is this what I need to do? Because I cut a card using wild card (doily shaped) using fit to page and now I can't get it to cut an evelope large enough for it. It calculated at 5 3/4 for the card size but, like I said I cut the card first. I bought the expression because I wanted to be able to do decent size cards. Which it appears I can do just not the matching envelopes. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #55  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampticianView Post
Hi Ladies,

I feel like such a dummy for having to ask this as I've learned to do pretty much everything I care to do with my Cricut Expression except for one thing...ENVELOPES...and it is about to drive me nuts. Can you cut an evelope that will be larger than 5" sqaure? I have cut using fit to page and nothing is getting me anything larger. I read somewhere that if you were using wild card you shoul cut the enevelope first using fit to page and pay attention to the size it calculates and then cut your card at that size. Is this what I need to do? Because I cut a card using wild card (doily shaped) using fit to page and now I can't get it to cut an evelope large enough for it. It calculated at 5 3/4 for the card size but, like I said I cut the card first. I bought the expression because I wanted to be able to do decent size cards. Which it appears I can do just not the matching envelopes. What am I doing wrong?
are you cutting from the cartridge directly or using DS or Gypsy?
I have found you can rotate an envelope 45 degrees and then make it larger because the pointy flaps will fill in the corners of the mat giving you more room. If you are using cartridge only I suggest you make the envelope first (make sure real dial is off) cut the envelope as large as it will let you, then cut the card, it will scale the card to fit as long as you do not change the size
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
are you cutting from the cartridge directly or using DS or Gypsy?
I have found you can rotate an envelope 45 degrees and then make it larger because the pointy flaps will fill in the corners of the mat giving you more room. If you are using cartridge only I suggest you make the envelope first (make sure real dial is off) cut the envelope as large as it will let you, then cut the card, it will scale the card to fit as long as you do not change the size
Thank you Lindsay. I am cutting from the cart itself, but I do have the ability to cut with the Gyspy. I will give this a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #57  
Crimping Master

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Hi Ladies,

Yes, you should first cut your envelope using "fit to page," and note what size the machine cuts at. Then turn OFF "fit to page," change the size to whatever your envelope cut at, and cut your card. For example, if you cut an envelope using "fit to page" and the screen tells you it's cutting at 5 1/2", you'll then cut your card (after turning "fit to page" OFF) at 5 1/2". If you cut your card first using "fit to page" it's already as big of an image the machine can cut in that space - but the envelope HAS to be bigger (to account for the flaps) - so you have to cut the envelope first and size down from there for the card. Hope this makes sense!

Oh, I've also noticed that the envelopes on some of the newer cartridges like Sentimentals and Damask Decor are designed much better - they've changed the way the flaps are cut, so it's easier to get bigger envelopes. Just something you might want to check out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

How long does it take to get used to the Gypsy? I bought one and so far, I am totally not into it. I don't use my Cricut very often so I am thinking that maybe I don't even need the Gypsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #60  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by thwackerView Post
How long does it take to get used to the Gypsy? I bought one and so far, I am totally not into it. I don't use my Cricut very often so I am thinking that maybe I don't even need the Gypsy.
I got one for xmas and I love it for when I go to a monthly crop. I bring pattern paper to match my photos and cardstock for die cutting. That is it (besides the basics: scissors, glue, paper trimmer) and that made me really love it. I wish that I couls do more with it like I can with my laptop and scal or fairy cut but I find the limited options of using the gypsy means I get more done. I think you just need a block of time to buckle down and use it. I have a baby bug and an "e" and I lend my baby bug and all my carts to a good friend of mine (she meets me at the crop with the little cricut) and I still have access to all the designs with my gypsy. I would take a few hours where you are planning to make cards and scrap and only allow yourself to make your own embellies with gypsy, you will get the hang of it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

I used it to make valentines for my sons this year and I kept getting confused with the dimentions. Maybe I need to take the time to watch some of these youtube videos to understand it better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I would definitely take the time to watch some Youtube videos on how to use your Gypsy. I am sure will fall in love with it. When I first got mine I wasn't sure how much I would use it, but now I don't use cartridges in my Cricut at all. I either use my Gypsy or SCAL program. I enjoy designing sayings and being able to weld letters together, especially when working with vinyl. I also like to be able to position letters and designs where I want on the mat to save paper. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnl96View Post
Yes, you should first cut your envelope using "fit to page," and note what size the machine cuts at. Then turn OFF "fit to page," change the size to whatever your envelope cut at, and cut your card. For example, if you cut an envelope using "fit to page" and the screen tells you it's cutting at 5 1/2", you'll then cut your card (after turning "fit to page" OFF) at 5 1/2". If you cut your card first using "fit to page" it's already as big of an image the machine can cut in that space - but the envelope HAS to be bigger (to account for the flaps) - so you have to cut the envelope first and size down from there for the card. Hope this makes sense!

Oh, I've also noticed that the envelopes on some of the newer cartridges like Sentimentals and Damask Decor are designed much better - they've changed the way the flaps are cut, so it's easier to get bigger envelopes. Just something you might want to check out!
Found Damask Decor on sale at Michael's and snatched it up. Haven't played with it yet but, looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I used it to make valentines for my sons this year and I kept getting confused with the dimentions. Maybe I need to take the time to watch some of these youtube videos to understand it better.
I have the gypsy and basically have done nothing more than upload carts to it. I have learned how to weld by watching a video from one of the bloggers. I am going to take an online class from My Creative Classroom so, I can understand this gadget better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the Create and I love it. My mom got it and several cartridges for Christmas, Valentine's Day, you name it. She finds deals on cartridges and has them sent directly to me. I've used it on many cards recently. She ordered me the Elegant Edges cartridge when it was first available. That one and Lacy Labels are great for shapes for main elements on cards. I have it sitting on a shelf on my desk. I realized that when it wasn't up there, I wouldn't use it as much because it was a pain in the neck to move up and down. Now that it's right there, I use it a lot. My gf has the Expression and I can use it when I need something bigger.

My mom also got me the Design Studio. I like that but don't seem to use it much. I will though with the Elegant Edges borders. They come out just like they show in the book without the DS.

I also learned that if your mat gets unsticky...and it will...spray adhesive works perfectly. Saves money on new mats. I didn't do well with washing them off like people say you can.

I also have a cuttlebug, but only one set of dies and the top note that I can use in it. I have Nestabilities and one cuttlebug set that came with it. I use the heck out of it for embossing though.

I want to purchase (and will very soon) the SCAL program. I have heard that ProvoCraft is suing them as well so need to purchase it soon. The question I have is: Can I access all the shapes in the cartridges in DS once SCAL is downloaded? I found this for less than $50 on the net. I will probably order on Friday since it is pay day.

Last edited by AZShann; 04-20-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I know this is a tough question but what is your favorite Cricut cartridge?
I have 3 favorites:
- Elegant Edges
- Lacy Labels
- Paper Lace
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZShannView Post
The question I have is: Can I access all the shapes in the cartridges in DS once SCAL is downloaded? I found this for less than $50 on the net. I will probably order on Friday since it is pay day.
You can only cut cartridges you own in DS. SCAL lets you cut any font, dingbats, and svg files on your computer with the Cricut, hence the lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

I have my original baby bug and just love it. I'm hoping when the E2 comes out the Expressions goes down so I can afford a new one. I have a friend who is a teacher for special needs so I'll donate my old one to her. Keeping my fingers crossed they down enough so I can afford one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #69  
Glitter Guru

OMG, E2 is out anyone getting it???
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

HI Sami - it has come out? I have the original bug AND the first expression. I won't get the E2!

I soooo love the new features though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #71  
Glitter Guru

It was released on HSN at 12 am est today and I am getting one EEEEKKKKKK mom used her part of the chocolate profits to buy me one. I am uber excited it is to be here by 5/6.

I had the original got mom got it for me 5 years ago, shortly after it was released, I have only slept like 2 hours (and I am horribly sick) bc of the excitement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
HI Sami - it has come out? I have the original bug AND the first expression. I won't get the E2!

I soooo love the new features though!
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG! Sami - I am sooooo excited for you! jealous as well - LOL

You are going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

You should get your box from me prolly tomorrow or thursday.. I bet Toy Story works awesome in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #73  
Glitter Guru

oooo I can't wait!! You should get your envie from me today or tomorrow too

Quote:

OMG! Sami - I am sooooo excited for you! jealous as well - LOL

You are going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

You should get your box from me prolly tomorrow or thursday.. I bet Toy Story works awesome in it!
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH? and just what are you sending me? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #75  
Glitter Guru

some spring washi I wrapped it around acetate so I hope it works for you (I didn't send a ton of each bc I was afraid of wasting it but if the acetate works I can always send more)

Quote:

OH? and just what are you sending me? LOL
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

AHHHHH! I put mine for you on wax paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

No E2 for me either. I bought the original when it first came out 5 years ago and just got a plum colored expression for Christmas this past year. So, no way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #78  
Glitter Guru

I actually asked for the expression for christmas but when dh was doing price research online he found the "E2" coming soon and told my mom not to buy me one. I was actually pretty upset bc at christmas I felt so dismissed bc everyone got really nice gifts and my "big" gift was a camera that came free when my mom bought my sil's awesome camera.

Now I feel bad for "thinking" like a brat (since I would never say anything to mom)

Quote:

No E2 for me either. I bought the original when it first came out 5 years ago and just got a plum colored expression for Christmas this past year. So, no way.
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sami - they just should have printed out a picture of the E2 and wrapped it up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #80  
Glitter Guru

I know but I didn't find out until 12:02am this morning, cruel and unusual punishment. I sold my original bug to my aunt and she will wait until my E2 is here and working before I hand it over

Quote:

Sami - they just should have printed out a picture of the E2 and wrapped it up
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes