Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut-I can't believe I waited......

so long to open it! I bought it during one of the fabulous Thanksgiving sales, along with 3 extra cartridges. I just opened it up yesterday (yes, over 2 months later!) to play. I LOVE it!!!!! I can't believe how easy it is to use, and how versatile, too. I am a scrapbooker, too, and my head is just spinning with ideas now. I will also be using it to make Valentine's decorations for my son's classroom. Why, o why, did I wait so long? Oh, yea, the holidays, vacation, unorganized craft space, yada, yada, yada. I will be ordering additional cartridges this week, I'm sure. I am thinking I might be able to get rid of my Sizzix and Sidekick, although I love being able to cut chipboard on the Sizzix. If anyone has been on the fence about the Cricut, I say "Go for it!".
My Blog: A Reinvented Mom
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

this is one of those times that i don't really know what this cricut thingy is but after hearing you go on about it... i think i have to have it! is that strange? not for this place. i'm going to check this thing out! happy stamping! oh yea, brrrrrrrrrr! GO COLTS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to let everyone know the creativexpress.com has the cartridges on sale for 59.99. As of last night they were still all instock. I bought 3 last time they had this sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Thanks for the tip about Creative Express's Sale! Do you know how long it is supposed to be on sale for. My husband gets his bonus on the 15th and I am planning on getting 2-3 more fonts at that time!

~To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the info on the sale. Off to order a few more cartridges! I finished my son's classroom decorations - they turned out great! After showing my husband all the different options, he was even impressed with this machine. This from the man who must think I am insane when it comes to crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #6  
Total Quack

I love my Cricut!!!!! I'm soooooo glad that my parents gave me that for Christmas. I'm glad you like yours!

Did you hear about the 6 new cartridges coming out??? Two are DISNEY!!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I love my Cricut, too. I just finished making a family bulletin board this weekend and after I showed my DH he said "How fun that will be for the kids!" He usually just nods his head and says "neat" when I show him my creations. He loves my Cricut because I use it EVERY day and have really gotten my money's worth out of it. I get my cartridges from Kim Slaymaker for $55 plus shipping. I also have bought some from Supergal777 on ebay but I don't think she has any up right now.

Have fun with it!
Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Well, I ordered 4 more cartridges this morning. I did order from Kim (found the ordering info on a different post). She said she will ship them out today, so I should have them by the end of the week. I didn't order any of the new releases, because I am just too anxious to get them now (sheesh, I sound like an addict!). I'll probably order some of the new ones next month. Has anyone seen the A&E show "Intervention"? Have they ever had a crafter profiled? Maybe it is time! Seriously, of all the stuff I "had to have" the Cricut and the ATG gun get the most usage.

Robynstamps: I would love to see a picture of your family bulletin board. What do you plan to use it for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I just preordered both the Disney cartridges from Kim today!! I preordered two of the other new ones last week. I've had my bug since the 2nd week of December and will have 13 cartridges when I get these last 4. I use it ALL the time. I will go take a picture of my board. I don't have everything on it yet but it is decorated and ready to do. I am putting chores, family activities, song of the month (church hymn), child spotlight, etc. I am going to make it fun for my kids. I have 5 all under the age of 8. I want to make their childhood something to remember. We just need to add it to the wall.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Robyn:
I love the idea of the bulletin board. Can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Does anyone have the Zooballo cartridge? I crossed it off my list, because I don't like the animal attached to each letter. Love the font, though. If you have it, do you like it and use it a lot?

I may buy the Disney cartridges later. My first thought was: my kids are a little older (7 & almost 7), so I may not get a lot of usage out of it. On the other hand, I still need to scrap our Disney trip, so it would be helpful for that. Decisions, decisions. Being the addict I am, I will probably end up getting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #11  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
I just preordered both the Disney cartridges from Kim today!! I preordered two of the other new ones last week. I've had my bug since the 2nd week of December and will have 13 cartridges when I get these last 4. I use it ALL the time. I will go take a picture of my board. I don't have everything on it yet but it is decorated and ready to do. I am putting chores, family activities, song of the month (church hymn), child spotlight, etc. I am going to make it fun for my kids. I have 5 all under the age of 8. I want to make their childhood something to remember. We just need to add it to the wall.

Robyn

Yes!! I want to see it!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #12  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by loricabo
Robyn:
I love the idea of the bulletin board. Can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Does anyone have the Zooballo cartridge? I crossed it off my list, because I don't like the animal attached to each letter. Love the font, though. If you have it, do you like it and use it a lot?

I may buy the Disney cartridges later. My first thought was: my kids are a little older (7 & almost 7), so I may not get a lot of usage out of it. On the other hand, I still need to scrap our Disney trip, so it would be helpful for that. Decisions, decisions. Being the addict I am, I will probably end up getting it.

I DO have Zooballoo and the animals aren't attached!!!!! You can do them separately. Also, it has an upper and lower font on the same cartridge. LOVE it.

My kids are 15, 10, and 1`.... I KNOW I will use the Disney cartridge because we all LOVE Disney (well, the my son - 15 - won't admit it right now ...). I know that I will use them for many things and can't wait to get them!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I still need to take a pic of my board and I will....

Zooballoo is probably my favorite cartridge!! The animals are separate and it does have upper and lower case. Also with the function keys there are so many things you can do!! This is probably the most loaded cartridge they have. I think all their font cartridges should also come with as many shapes. It would be a nice bonus!! So............... don't cross Zooballoo off yet!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I too love my Cricut. I have purchased some cartridges from hallmarkscrapbook for $55.00. You have to add them to your cart to see the lower price. Robyn, I would so love to see your board. My family had a meeting last night where we all agreed on what chores we are going to do around the house. My job is to now make a board of it - I would love to see your ideas. I also agree that zoobaloo is a great cartridge. I love the card feature.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Default Zooballoo

OK, I think you guys are convincing me to get Zooballoo. Like I said, I love the font, just not the attached animals. If you do the letters with the animals, is that a single cut or is it 2 cuts (1 for letter/1 for animal)? Also, what is the "card" feature that Rikelle mentioned? I haven't had a chance to do more than the basics at this point (remember - I just opened it Sat. - LOL!). The kidlets are in ski school Sat., so I am taking a scrap day while they are skiing. Hopefully I can figure out more of the features.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is the zb handbook..... http://www.cricut.com/res/handbooks/ZooBalloo.pdf

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Lori- you cut just the letter or just the animal on zoobaloo. So you don't waste any paper if you just want the letter. On each cartridge they have special features such as making your shape or letter a tag, border, charm, etc. On zoobaloo one of the features is a card that cuts out the paper with score marks for a card and on the front of the card is a cut out of your shape. This cartridge is useful because you can use the background for a camping theme, zoo, park there is even baby stuff on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the link Robyn. And thanks to Rikelle for explaining the card feature. That sounds way cool! Zooballoo is back on my list. I may have to place another order sooner rather than later. We made an offer on a commercial/residential property yesterday (hoping to move our business closer to home), and if it's accepted, we are gonna be tight on funds for a year or two. Better stock up now before we are broke (I know you guys understand this logic - LOL;) ).

I am also curious what settings you have your machine set on for SU cardstock. I have both dials set at 5. Should the cutting blade be at 5 or should I reset it to 6? While working on my son's decorations, I tried to use some cheap colored paper (24 lb weight). I had both dials set at 3. The paper just curled up when I pulled it off the mat. Am I correct in thinking I should have tried to set the dials even lower?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #19  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by loricabo
Thanks for the link Robyn. And thanks to Rikelle for explaining the card feature. That sounds way cool! Zooballoo is back on my list. I may have to place another order sooner rather than later. We made an offer on a commercial/residential property yesterday (hoping to move our business closer to home), and if it's accepted, we are gonna be tight on funds for a year or two. Better stock up now before we are broke (I know you guys understand this logic - LOL;) ).

I am also curious what settings you have your machine set on for SU cardstock. I have both dials set at 5. Should the cutting blade be at 5 or should I reset it to 6? While working on my son's decorations, I tried to use some cheap colored paper (24 lb weight). I had both dials set at 3. The paper just curled up when I pulled it off the mat. Am I correct in thinking I should have tried to set the dials even lower?

I completely understand that thought process!!!!! LOL!!!

I have it at 5 for SU stuff.

The paper curling is probably just from the stickiness of the mat. I think that having it set at 3 was probably a good choice for that. I'm not a good judges of that yet, though.....:rolleyes:

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

See, I just knew somebody on here would understand my thinking! Did anyone see the cute bulletin board in the newest Simple Scrapbooks? Too cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #21  
Total Quack

No ... I don't get that one ... is it online???

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

You guys are killing me. My cricut won't be here for 2 more months. I am going to go crazy waiting!!!
C

My Creative Side

Some days just look better upside down" Eeyore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I set my blade at 6 for SU cardstock. Each machine is different (for some reason) and you just need to figure out which settings it will need by messing around.

Oh! I wish I got Simple Scrapbooks. I want to upload a photo of my bulletin board but now I am nervous because I just have a little of it done. Okay, I'll go take a pic of it now!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Did I mention that Alphalicious and Making the Grade will be here today?????? I can't wait to play with those!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #25  
Total Quack

Robyn ... I can't wait to see the bulletin board!!

I'm aching for Going Places and Fabulous Finds ......

Let me know what you think of the 2 you get today!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

I will!!

I'm still thinking about Going Places. For some reason I'm not sold on Fantastic Finds. I don't know what I would use it for. I'll have to see some samples with it and then fall in love!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #27  
Total Quack

Quote:

I will!!

I'm still thinking about Going Places. For some reason I'm not sold on Fantastic Finds. I don't know what I would use it for. I'll have to see some samples with it and then fall in love!

Robyn
I think I would use the items a lot like I do the hodgepodge hardware ... just in paper. KWIM???

I love the options in Going Places. I can't wait to see them in person.

Of course, I have to have Disney first ....... Both of them .....

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I don't know if the bulletin board is online. The article mentioned putting it in a child's room, to get a feel for where they are at (not every kid shares easily). Super duper cute, though. Robyn, would still love to see yours - I am sure it is gorgeous.

Have fun with your new cartridges, Robyn. I should get mine today or tomorrow, so can't wait to play. I thought the Fantastic Finds would be cool to do in the metallic papers, to mimic the real hardware. Might be better for scrapping, as it wouldn't weigh as much as the real stuff. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shell
I think I would use the items a lot like I do the hodgepodge hardware ... just in paper. KWIM???

I love the options in Going Places. I can't wait to see them in person.

Of course, I have to have Disney first ....... Both of them .....
I preordered both the Disney cartridges, too. :cool: Those are going to be fun!

Maybe I will have to get Fantastic Finds after all. Did you all hear they are releasing a total of 30 cartridges this year!! YIKES! If I already have to have the first 6 what is going to happen with the rest. That's a lot of money!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #30  
Total Quack

I haven't ordered them yet. I was waiting to spend the money when they actually get out. I want Going Places and Fantastic Finds, too.

30??? Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's will be great!! So many choices and infinite ways to do things!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Did you all hear they are releasing a total of 30 cartridges this year!! YIKES! If I already have to have the first 6 what is going to happen with the rest. That's a lot of money!Robyn
30 new cartridges this year??!!!! That is a ton of money! How do they expect us to have them all if they are going to release that many in a single year?:rolleyes: Maybe we are going to have to get picky about the ones we buy (is that even possible?).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

When I first saw these 6 new ones I didn't feel the need to get any of them. Now I have 4 out of the six ordered and I'm sure I will end up with the other 2!! I think their marketing plan is very good. If they release 2-3 a month more people will have to have all of them. It's the "demand" thing, I guess.

I'm actually on the fence about Tags, Boxes, and More right now! I have to make goodies for my 2 daughters' classes and I am wondering if I will actually save money buy buying that cart to make them. I usually fill up a goodie bag with toys, pencils, candy, etc. With one of these boxes I would only be able to fit a few small pieces of candy. Hmmmmm....... choices!! I can't believe I already have 13 cartridges. Do I really "need" another one???

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am like the OP! While I feel that I could get rid of my sizzix (I spent so much on the machine, I then couldn't afford the high prices of the individual dies! ) I do however like the fact that the sizzix will cut the chipboard! My sidekick though...it may be on the bay soon!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softangelkisses
I am like the OP! While I feel that I could get rid of my sizzix (I spent so much on the machine, I then couldn't afford the high prices of the individual dies! ) I do however like the fact that the sizzix will cut the chipboard! My sidekick though...it may be on the bay soon!
I am still undecided about my Sizzix. I really like that it will cut the heavier materials. I have 4 alphas and a ton of dies, and it takes up a bunch of space. Decisions, decisions. I have decided to unload my Sidekick and the several alphas I acquired, though. I bought those over a year ago, and have never used them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #35  
Total Quack

I'm going to keep my Sizzix because I can use it for things that I can't use my Cricut for. That's ok. I know, too, that Sizzix has discontinued a lot of the original dies - think I may have to get some of those.

I use it a lot for VBS and Sunday school.

I can see using my Cricut a lot for those things, too ...... I wish they had a cartridge with music stuff ...

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Yippeee!! My 2 new cartridges came today. Making the Grade & Alphalicious. If I get around to opening them I'll try to make something fun. I also got a SU box with all 6 SAB sets!! Yaaaaa. It's a great package day!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

This is only my 2nd post, but I have to say I LOVE this site. This fall when I learned about the Cricut I read everything I could about it on this site. My boyfriend bought it for me for Christmas from QVC (after I pointed him in the right direction). I am so happy that I have it and I use it whenever I can. After reading this thread this afternoon (at work) I came home and purchased 4 cartridges from hallmarkscrapbook.com. I can't believe I just spent $221!! I even purchased the Zooballo cartridge which I didn't even consider before today. I think I should be set now for a while (I hope, until I read more!!). I have a 10 year old who is very big into sports so I wish they would come out with a sports cartridge, wouldn't that be cool?

Anyway, thank you so much for all the information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #38  
Total Quack

Quote:

Yippeee!! My 2 new cartridges came today. Making the Grade & Alphalicious. If I get around to opening them I'll try to make something fun. I also got a SU box with all 6 SAB sets!! Yaaaaa. It's a great package day!

Robyn

Woohoo!!! Great day, Robyn!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #39  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by akelly100
This is only my 2nd post, but I have to say I LOVE this site. This fall when I learned about the Cricut I read everything I could about it on this site. My boyfriend bought it for me for Christmas from QVC (after I pointed him in the right direction). I am so happy that I have it and I use it whenever I can. After reading this thread this afternoon (at work) I came home and purchased 4 cartridges from hallmarkscrapbook.com. I can't believe I just spent $221!! I even purchased the Zooballo cartridge which I didn't even consider before today. I think I should be set now for a while (I hope, until I read more!!). I have a 10 year old who is very big into sports so I wish they would come out with a sports cartridge, wouldn't that be cool?

Anyway, thank you so much for all the information!

Welcome, Anna! I'm glad you like the site. It can be very hard to resist the stuff when everyone is saying great stuff about it and making great stuff with it!!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #40  
Total Quack

Robyn ... still waiting to see that board!!!!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes