Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #1  
vcr
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Die Cut Machine Is Best?

I have been stamping and making cards for about 5 years now, but have decided to finally get into the scrapbooking. All my supplies will work nicely for scrapbooking but I would like to get a die cut machine. Just not sure which one. I mostly would like it to do letters but may end up getting into a few other templates later on. Which one do you recomend and why? Thanks in advance.

Val
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend the Sizzix sidekick, I've worked in a LSS and tried most of the ones out now and I think it's the best; easy to use, good cost, works well, portable.
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Val, I do like the sidekick, too. You can use other brands of dies in there (I am particularly fond of quickutz alphabets)--you just need to buy these little sizzix adaptors (they are inexpensive). The sidekick actually does a better job cutting quickutz and sizzlits than the big sizzix does . . .

If you are wanting to cut chipboard however--you need to go with the sizzix and you have to use the steel ruled dies . . . much more expensive to get an alphabet of the steel ruled dies!!

I also have a wizard which I have enjoyed immensely--getting to learn how to use it and playing with everything it can do . . . you CAN cut the sizzlits and steel ruled sizzix in there, too . . . but it is no where near as portable as the little sidekick.

I'd visit sizzix.com (actually they are having a sale right now, if you sign up for their email newsletter, you'd probably get it). See if you like the alphabets and dies they have available . . . seems like they've had a sale every week or two lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I got the EZ Mate because of original Quickutz handle made my arm sore if I was cutting for a long period. But it is biggish, and takes up alot of room. If the small sizzix will do quickutz well, I may change over...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I have the Zip-e-mate and a few alphabets. It can use all other brands...Sizzix, Quikuts, etc. I recently couldn't resist and bought the Cricut and love it. I'm interested in selling the ZEM. It was only used a few times.

It's official...I'm a stamping addict (second only to my "being a grandma" addiction)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I called mine, EZ Mate, but I meant Zip E Mate! Past my bedtime.

It works great. But, I would like something real easy, that "pumps" things out, like the Cricut.

Or, a small sixxix kind of thing that is portable, lightweight, and takes up little space.

Zip E Mate is quite heavy, in addition to it almost has to have a spot on your table, as you would not want to be lugging it on and off the shelf....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 12:38 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Question

Has anyone ever used a Ellison Big Shot die cut? It's compatiable with the Sizzix dies. This is the machine that The Angel Company has in the new catalog. I've never used a die cut machine, do I need one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Default I have the ellison big boss and I love it.

I did not think I needed a die cut machine until I borrowed a friend's for a project and I fell in love with it. I love the ellison because it takes all of the sizzix die cuts and it's own and it can take the quickcuts ones too.
As far as getting a die cut machine it all depends on your needs and if it needs to be portable.
Juli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 04:53 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Wink do you need a diecut machine

My favorite thing to use my diecut machines for in my cardmaking is: making tags I believe I have every sizzix, sizzlit and spellbinders tag die I love them all.

My second favorite thing is the quickutz mini alphabet called stiletto. The letters are tiny, cut out beautifully and make for wonderful cards and personalized notecard type gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 04:58 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Talking one more thing/window cards

If you would really like to make some beautiful window cards, you should think about the Wizard. They sell dies called "geometrics." Circles, ovals, squares . . . by combining the different sizes--you can cut a beautiful, clean shape out of the front of your card. And since this system embosses also--you can put a nice professional looking "rim" around your window--if you want to. You can always just cut any of the diecuts, without the embossing feature if you want to . . . if you are not familiar with this machine, go to www.spellbinders.us. There is a neat list on that site, something like 100+ things you can do with your wizard.

I love my wizard--but for me it was definitely not "plug and play." There is a learning curve, as they say. A little fussing. A little gathering of equipment, but it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have the large sizzix and the component to do the mini sizzix ones and I LOVE it! Never tried any other so I can't really compare it-sorry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 05:23 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

If you don't want to spend the money on the Wishblade, the XPCS or the Cricuit, I would go with the Big Shot. It is wonderful and it will cut all the dies for the other machines.

The surface is wide enough to accomadate paper that is 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" so if you are a cardmaker, you probably have a lot of cardstock cut to this size already.

It is also nice to be able to roll several dies through in one pass. When I did a memorial page of my late dad for my sister's first born, it was so nice to be able to cut "grandpa" out in one pass. Took so much less time than if I had to do it with my Sizzix.

It will cut chipboard with the thick cuts and the Sizzix originals.

Some of their dies are great, just wish I could find them locally and the stores that do carry them, it would be nice if they carried more than just a few. Did I mention that some of the Targets, here in MN, carry the thin ones and the tag a long machine (Big Shot's version of the Sidekick)?

I have the QK, Sizzix, Sidekick, XPCS and the Big Shot (don't ask my why I felt like I needed them all - I guess I'm an impulse shopper - but that is a whole nother post ) Of all of them, the Big Shot is the one I would go with.

Ok, I didn't mean to make this a novel, just wanted my 2 cents, or in this case 50 cents. ;)

Take care,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

See if you can try the machines available or at least see a demo first before you buy. Look at the various dies that go with each machine to see what suits your style and the compatability of the dies to the machine you like as many of the dies will go through other manufacturers machines. Once you decide on a machine this way, you should be happy with it. Go to the various websites for products.

I have the original Sizzix, the Sidekick, the Big Shot, the ZipEMate, Quikutz, and the Tag a long as I like tools and they each do different things for me. The original Sizzix cuts through just about anything but the Big Shot rolls and is easier to use. The Sidekick is great for the Sizzlets as is the Tag a long that I got to accomodate the larger slim dies by Ellison. The ZipEMate is also a roller type machine and I got it prior to the Big Shot. Each has its own pluses and minuses and I use the manufacturers product only in each.

I am not getting the electronic machines since I have so many of these others and it is too new a product for me just yet, having been stung by jumping for the rolling ZipEZaz. I am waiting for a year or so for the machines to be perfected. Also, it will give me time to save for a large purchase and I can still use the manual machines when the electricity goes out due to storms/ice.

Oh, and Dh is okay with it all and says when I die, he will give the stuff I leave to a few area senior centers for use at the centers, unless I chose someone else in the meantime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Any advantages in having the Wizard vs the Big Shot?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Talking

So THAT'S how they get those windows in a card! lol! I really could never figure that out, thought somoene had alot of time to carefully cut it out with an exacto knife! (slaps forehead, DUH!)
Ohhh, so I also wouldn't need to buy different sizes of hand punches to make layered tags? Oh my...you all turned on a lightbulb for me and oh my I can get it half price. ohhh goodie!
I love gadgets! lol! :mrgreen:
Thanks ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Default Wow, just found this...

SIZZIX LLC REACHES A DEAL WITH ELLISON AND PROVO CRAFT, CO-CREATORS OF SIZZIX
Spanish Fork, Utah and Lake Forest, California (May 24, 2006)

Sizzix LLC, the leading pioneer in the field of personal die cutting systems, reached a deal today with Ellison and Provo Craft, co-creators of Sizzix, under confidential terms.
Under the deal, Ellison has acquired ownership of the Sizzix brand effective immediately, but through September 2007, both Ellison and Provo Craft have the right to distribute Sizzix-branded products and have retained certain manufacturing rights in relation to Sizzix products. After September 2007, Ellison will have all manufacturing and distribution rights over Sizzix products. The deal will allow Sizzix consumers to be served with a dynamic brand vision that speaks to and reacts quickly in the crafting marketplace.
�Sizzix is one of the top brands in the industry and we are honored each year when consumers select Sizzix products for various awards,� said Kent Chesley, President of Ellison. �We are excited to have the opportunity to continue our tradition of excellence and take Sizzix to the next level with retail solutions, new products, designs and lots of creative inspiration.�
The deal also represents a major opportunity for Provo Craft to further its rapid-growth strategy through innovation and new product development.
�Sizzix has provided the foundation for Provo Craft to become a true leader in paper crafting. We look forward to continuing our distribution of Sizzix branded products well into 2007,� said Mr. Jim Thornton, CEO of Provo Craft. �Our involvement with Sizzix has motivated Provo Craft to further our product development efforts in the field of design cutting systems. We wish Ellison the very best of luck with Sizzix in the years to come,� said Mr. Thornton.
In a similar statement, Lisa Corcoran, CEO of Ellison said, �It has been a dynamic and exciting five years working with Provo Craft as Sizzix partners. We wish it the best in its future endeavors.�
About Sizzix
The Sizzix brand was co-created and launched by Ellison and Provo Craft in 2001. Sizzix has received numerous awards, including Creating Keepsakes� Readers� Choice Award for Die-Cut Equipment in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006.
About Ellison
Since 1977, Ellison has been the leader in die-cutting innovation and product development. Ellison manufactures and distributes the Prestige� and AllStar� product lines. Ellison is also the manufacturer, distributor and retailer of ellison design� and Sizzix� consumer die-cutting equipment and ancillary products. Ellison empowers people to express their personal and professional creativity using its innovative products and is committed to continuing this tradition for generations to come.
About Provo Craft & Novelty
Provo Craft & Novelty Inc. www.provocraft.com was founded in 1964 with a single retail store and has grown to become one of the largest and most respected craft companies in the world, manufacturing, importing and retailing craft products. Headquartered in Spanish Fork, Utah, Provo Craft operates 10 retail stores in Utah and Idaho and has a 200,000 square-foot distribution facility in Spanish Fork.
Source: Ellison and Provo Craft joint release.
For additional information please contact:
Contacts:
Melissa Fenn or Debra Garay
Ellison
(949) 598-8822
[email protected]
or [email protected]

Media Relations
Provo Craft & Novelty
(801) 794-9089
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I have a Sizzix, and I really want a Big Shot. The Big Shot will take all the other dies, and most important to me, is very light and takes almost NO strength to make it work. The Sizzix is heavy and can take quite a bit of force. And the Quikcutz-Ouch! My wrists aren't strong enough, even though I love their alphabets.
I'd buy the Big Shot since it gives you so many options.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Yeah, they say it's 40% lighter in weight & 20% wider. I can get it half price for $71.50 that includes shipping. I wonder how that compares to the the others?
Thanks for your info!
Kim
Quote:

Originally Posted by KateStamps
I have a Sizzix, and I really want a Big Shot. The Big Shot will take all the other dies, and most important to me, is very light and takes almost NO strength to make it work. The Sizzix is heavy and can take quite a bit of force. And the Quikcutz-Ouch! My wrists aren't strong enough, even though I love their alphabets.
I'd buy the Big Shot since it gives you so many options.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Any thoughts about the Wizard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok..... I have a sidekick, a sizzix, AND a cricut.
I am most in love with the cricut!! BUT I am not gettin rid of my sidekick or my sizzix.....I am however thinking of selling a few of my sizzix alphabets because the cricut is just sooo much more advanced in that area.... Some of my dies I will not let go simply because I prefer them over the cartoony items in doodlecharms...... when they come out with new cartridges? who knows
ALSO
When weighing the cost of both here is what I think
The Sizzix machine is less costly on start up BUT each die will run you anywhere from 9.99 - 14.99 each, contain mostly 1 image no more than 4, and you can cut only one size with each die... the alphabets will run you 139.99 and can only cut one size of that (some are quite tiny too)
The Cricut machine is quite a pricey start but each cartridge can cut up to 11 different sizes! they cost 89.99 (53.99 with a 40% off coupon) and they include alot of different images I have not counted the ones on doodle charm or celebrations (the ones I have) but there are many also the thing I like about the cricut cuts is that you can cut it all one color and then cut the other parts (i.e. I cut the ice cream cone out and then cut out the cherry and ice cream part so that it is different colors and you glue them together to make one cut that way you have a tan cone, pink ice cream, red cherry and you didnt have to cut it 3 times and trim the pieces apart) with the sizzix you cut 3 times out of three colors and then you have to cut them apart with sissors to reasemble so you have a colored image. That means alot to me! Plus depending on the cartridge you use you can make a border out of those items.......ok I guess if I were asked which one would I buy given the fact I know what I know................. I would spend the extra money on the cricut because in the end you are not goin to spend as much ......... with sizzix the dies run into ALOT of $$ QUICK even with a 40% off coupon I have 8 cartridges and the machine and have roughly $500.00 invested (got my cricut at a great deal though) and I have more than that rolled up in just 6 sets of alphabets not counting the other dies and the sizzix machine so now I have sold myself a cricut!!! because its more economical!! OH MAN I gotta tell my husband this IT MAKES SENSE!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Michaels and AC Moore both sell many Sizzix dies, and the Sizzix site has FREQUENT 40% off sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

So if all I am looking to do is cut a few Quickutz easily, without killing my shoulder, the Sidekick from Sizzix is all I need?

Anyone want a Zip E Mate!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath
The Sidekick is great for the Sizzlets as is the Tag a long that I got to accomodate the larger slim dies by Ellison.
Kath,

Please explain a little more what the Tagalong can do that the Sidekick can't do? They look like the same machine to me except for the color?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimeboss
Has anyone ever used a Ellison Big Shot die cut? It's compatiable with the Sizzix dies. This is the machine that The Angel Company has in the new catalog. I've never used a die cut machine, do I need one?
I have both the Big Shot and Sizzix (th Sizzix was being shared by a friend and myself so I went ahead and bought the Big Shot to have at my house). They both work great. I think the Big Shot is easier to carry around and not as heavy and bulky as the Sizzix and they both use the same die's.

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=20665
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

In my opinion, dont waste the $ on the wizard ( I have one). Too fussy considering all the easier options out there. Again....only my opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have big sizzix, sizzix sidekick and Wishblade. I LOVE Wishblade and I kept my Sizzix machines still because I use the big Sizzix for cutting chipboards and I use Wishblade for unique fonts letter and shapes. I love Wishblade but it's not travel-friendly for those ones who like to go to crops and such. I am not the type who like to go to crops because I hate to pack up stuff, deciding on what to bring etc without bringing my entire scrap collection.

Wishblade is pretty pricey to begin with ($400 something) but think about this... you can use ANY computer truetype fonts in any size from 5/8" to 8". If you are to buy an individual alphabet/number set such as Quickutz with no ability to change the font size, it runs at around $300 (I might guess wrong but something like that)

I have over 3000 computer fonts...FREE! Can you imagine dropping $300 every time for one single font set? Wishblade doesn't cut thru chipboard or fabric. The thickest media it can cut allowable is Bazzill cardstock and then thinnest media would be vellum.

For Sizzix Sidekick, it won't be able to cut chipboard but will work with Quickutz dies if you have the adapter. I like to also keep my sidekick in case if I only need one small shape I don't have to go to my computer every time to use the Wishblade.

One day I will get my own laptop computer and that will come in very handy with Wishblade right on my scrap table (it's across the room from each other and it's a pain to go back and forth lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile diecut

Hey
I have a Wizard but makes my arm hurt
thinking about getting the boss from TAC since I am a demonstrator

Exciting new goodies if you want a catty.

Email me

catty's $10.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 02:28 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I'd go with the Wizard...you can use ALL the other manufacturer's dies in it...how great is that!!! I love my wizard and it's not hard to learn... Joann's is having a sale on it...30% off... go check it out..there's a video you can watch at Spellbinder's website... Great Machine!!! Set eyelets with it..flatten bottle caps..condition polymer clay... does it all!!! Can you tell I love my Wizard??? LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

If you want more dies for your money go, save a ton of space, spent less time die cutting go with a cricut. You get 600+ images for 80 dollars. I also like it if I want to make a heading for my scrapbook page I don't have to do a letter at a time. Plus there is a space saving option so when you do do a header your not wasting paper. Here is a link for ideas of what you can do with a criciut. I must say I can't believe I ever used the Big Shot or sizzix before this.

http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tt.aspx?forumid=2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Xyron's New Machine

Xryon has just come out with a new machine. I haven't purchased it for myself yet but have for a friend for her birthday. If you buy it from A.C. Moore with a 40% off coupon you will only pay around $125.00 for it and it is so cute. There are still a few glitches with it but it is the most reasonably priced for the cartridges that come with it to buy seperately.

...talent is like electricity. We don�t understand electricity. We use it. Author: Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote Likes