Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you make your own envelopes?

I am trying to decide if it is cheaper and/or worth it to make my own envelopes. Where do you buy your envelopes and/or your templates? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't, but they're easy to make. I don't know if it's worth the time, but it's nice to tailor them to match a card.

Just open an envelope that is the size you like and use it as a template.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Yes, I do make my own envelopes. I have a set of templates from SU for the 51/2 by 41/4 and with that there are smaller sizes. And I have a set of templates from Close to My Heart, one of the sizes makes a 6x6 card (I like making a larger card, sometimes.) Making your own envelopes is enjoyable; you have to buy the larger paper and there is a good deal of waste. It is also fun to use different colors of paper.

KKLDMST
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Adhesive

What do you use for adhesive to seal the envelopes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I use any adhesive that I have, the snail type; or the flat dots. Really just about anything, except the liquid glues because I really don't know too much about those. And sometimes, I will use the clear Scotchtape for the sides. You might want to ask an experienced SU demonstrator. Making your own envelopes is time consuming, but I just wanted everything to be handmade. However, someday I may not want too!!! Hope this helps. KKLDMST
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love making my own envelopes. I have 2 Kreate A Lope sets that are so easy to use.

One is for a larger card, A7 Greeting Card, 5" x 7-1/8", and the other is a standard Invitation size, 4-3/8" x 5-5/8". The smaller size card is what most of the stampers here seem to make.

I line the template up and use my paper cutter. It takes no time at all. I use a regular glue stick to assemble the envelopes. Then when I put the card into it, I use the glue stick again to seal it.

I buy a lot of the stack packs of pattern paper when they are on sale. There are always pages that are not my taste for a card, or for a scrapbook page, but they make wonderful envelopes with the patterns inside, and the white side for the address.

No one who receives them can believe I made them. They really turn out well to be so simple.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Default Thanks "buggainok" for the info regarding making your own envelopes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainok
I love making my own envelopes. I have 2 Kreate A Lope sets that are so easy to use.

One is for a larger card, A7 Greeting Card, 5" x 7-1/8", and the other is a standard Invitation size, 4-3/8" x 5-5/8". The smaller size card is what most of the stampers here seem to make.

I line the template up and use my paper cutter. It takes no time at all. I use a regular glue stick to assemble the envelopes. Then when I put the card into it, I use the glue stick again to seal it.

I buy a lot of the stack packs of pattern paper when they are on sale. There are always pages that are not my taste for a card, or for a scrapbook page, but they make wonderful envelopes with the patterns inside, and the white side for the address.

No one who receives them can believe I made them. They really turn out well to be so simple.
Thanks "buggainok" for the info. Your ideas look like something I would like to try. What type of paper cutter do you use? I like the patterned paper idea.(I am very new at stamping and card making, so any info is appreciated).

KKLDMST

KKLDMST
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.greensneakers.com/

Hi, I was going to say the Kreate a Lopes also. I added the link. I live so far (3 hrs) from Mikes, and others that carry stuff, that I have to buy on line alot. I've used the envie glue that we sale.

:cool: Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

If I don't have time (or don't feel like it) instead of making my envelope I just line the inside of the envelope with pattern paper or with a paper on which I stamped the images I was using. I took an old envelope the size I was using and used that for the pattern for the top flap and the front inside. It slides inside the envelope-put a little glue to hold it down and you have an envelope to match your card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use to make my own envelopes. I don't any more, because I don't think it's worth all the time.

I buy my envelopes from http://www.papermart.com/templates/71-0-10.htm . I buy a case (5 boxes), there are 250 envelopes in a box. The total is $54.84, which comes to $10.97 a box and 4 cents an envelope. At my local office supply store a box of 100 envelopes is $10.37! So Paper Mart is very cheap!

My mom and friend got a box from me the last time I ordered. It helped with the cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I was glad to find this thread, I'm about to dive off into making a few envelopes of my own. I got the Kreate-A-Lope A2 template it says you can use the template to tear the paper against but I was thinking that would perhaps be difficult, paper sliding and all. I was wondering when you said you cut your paper, did you just use a cutting board and like a hobby knife. Sorry to be so dense.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkgmt
What do you use for adhesive to seal the envelopes?
Stampin' Up! sells envelope glue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DH bought me several boxs at Office Depot in the correct size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some envelope examples

I do both--buy some, make some. Here are a couple of pics of some envelopes I have made from patterned paper. I only chose some of the patterned ones, but I use solid color paper, too. The scanner has added some weird-looking lines--just ignore that.

On heavily patterned envelopes I use a small, white mailing label for the address, and cut down a mailing label for the return address.

I also decorate solid color envelopes (either purchased or handmade ones) with stamps from the same set I used to make the card.

I buy my plain white or cream envelopes at Wal-mart or Staples. The patterned paper I found at Costco, or wait until my LSS or JoAnn's is having a sale. With the Costco paper, it was almost cheaper than buying pre-made envelopes. With the LSS or JoAnn's paper, at 20 cents a sheet and only one envelope a sheet, it's expensive.

Depending on the style envelope you use, you can often do most of the cutting in straight lines on with your paper cutter. Then you just use a pair of snips to cut out little notches or round the curve of the flap.

I opened up some envelopes and traced them onto cardstock to make my template. Then I make my envelopes while watching TV with my DH. It's amazing how quickly you can get a stack made. I use a liquid glue to glue them together, and to seal them for mailing. If I am making envelopes as part of a gift set of cards to give to someone else, I use the "lickable" glue like SU! sells.

This is a long post. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you make your own envelopes?-handmade-envelopes0001.jpg   Do you make your own envelopes?-handmade-envelopes0002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Blueheron, your envelopes are adorable!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had bought some plain white envelopes at Office Depot and they just look so plain. Just wanted something with a little character! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

QVC has a great set of the Kreate-a-lopes as a pretty decent price and it comes with a glue that you put on the seal, let dry and the "lick to stick" like a regular envelope. I like to make 6" x 6" cards and the "slab" 12" x 12" papers work perfectly for the envelope paper. I kind of work backwards and pick out the envelope paper first and then use carstock to match. Then I use vellum tag stickers for the address. Looks pretty darn spiffy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

My vote is for the Kreat-a-lope too. I have the A2 template and another template for making those little envelopes for scrapbooking that cost so much if you buy them. Green Sneakers makes great templates and envelope glue. The glue that SU sells is Green Sneakers with an SU label (and an SU price).
http://cgi.ebay.com/KREATE-A-LOPE-A2...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/LICK-STICK-ENVEL...QQcmdZViewItem
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I make my envelopes using the Accu Cut die cutting machine. It is super quick; costly even on sale, but I don't regret the purchase. I also have the Kreate-A-Lope I & II, the Heart-A-Lope, Coluzzle, SU's 5 in 1, and several others including a couple made by tracing store bought envelopes, but the Accu Cut is what I use for the majority of my envelope making. I use the Greetings Glue (SU!) and any glue runner to seal them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkgmt
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had bought some plain white envelopes at Office Depot and they just look so plain. Just wanted something with a little character! LOL
Don't forget to use your wheels!!!

;) Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Default What are wheels?

I am new to cardmaking. What are wheels?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

I am subscribing. On my next list of new adventures - envelope making! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE my Kreate-a-lope. Believe it or not, but you can just tear against the edge. (except if you're using card stock, but I just use patterned paper to make my envelopes - cs you would probably want to cut) I don't always make my own envelopes, but always reach for the KaL when I do. I got it for my bday a couple of yrs ago and it's awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you so much to the ladies that suggested the Kreate a Lope. I looked into it and just had to have one! What an awesome idea. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy my envelopes at Office Max. I get the ones with the self-adhesive flaps. I know I pay a little more, but I sure hate licking envelopes. ;) Wal-Mart had invitation size envelopes. I think they are 60 for $4.00 plus or minus change.

One nice thing I found out at Office Max is that if you bring in an HP or Canon ink cartridge, they will give you $3 off your purchase for each one (up to 5 cartridges or $15 in one purchase). I just happened to have THREE cartridges with me. I think the box of 100 envelopes is about $12.

I have made envelopes though. I have the Creatalope by Green Sneakers. A couple of weeks ago I made envelopes out of a free Avon calendar of gorgeous flowers that was given to me. My DH was pretty impressed. (Although he also says he doesn't understand why I would spend so much time making something that I am just giving away.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

heck no. never have, never will. I would love to be better about stamping on mine, but I just never get around to it. I like paper crafting cards, not envies, lol!

Reply With Quote Likes