Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone own the Cricut and the Big Shot? Help me justify!

I own the original Cricut and I am thinking about buying the Big Shot, but don't know if I should because I already have the Cricut.

I love all of the ideas I have seen done with the Big Shot and the new SU dies, love the embossing that is does, etc. etc.

Do I really need 2 machines? Will I use them both? Do you have both and use both?

Help me out here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you will use them both! The Cricut is great because you can cut different sizes of things, make words, etc. The Big Shot is great because you can cut a variety of very thick materials, plus you can dry emboss. I have both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I have both cutting systems.....and others! :oops:

I love being able to cut chipboard, felt, material, etc with my Big Shot. I love being able to weld letters and cut alphas and shapes in different sizes with my Cricut.

I used to try to make one tool do all things. But I've realized that my life is a lot simpler when I let each tool do what it is best at and not try to force it to be a one size fits all, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use both my Cricut Expression and Bigshot a lot. I don't ever think you "need" more than what you can work with, but it's very convenient and satisfying to have both options. I just made an ABC board (16"x20") for my nephew and used both the Cricut (to cut out shapes) and Bigshot for my sizzix dies and embossed (using my nesties) the bases of each letter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both and love and use both frequently. They each have their purpose. I really like embossed backgrounds and that is the reason that I got the Big Shot/Big Kick. I used a coupon at M's. I like using material other than paper such as felt, cork to make die cuts. Love my nesties and SU! Top note die. I'll be honest - I find it easier and quicker to just run stuff through the big kick. But, I don't have the patience anymore to use my alphabets in it.

I love my cricut. I resisted buying it for a really long time and got a good deal on the baby bug last year. I just bought Design Studio and once I use it I know it will really enhance my use of the Cricut. My DDs use the Cricut for school project/poster boards/science fair all the time. I mostly have cartridges that are primarily alphabets but recently I got the HomeAccents cartridge and realize that I like the shape cartridges as well. there are frequent sales on cartridges if you can be patient to get the ones you want.

HTH
Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I got the Cricut last Christmas, and just bought the Big Shot last month. I'm so glad!! I love the Big Shot. I bought a bunch of Nestabilities sets (from RitzCamera.com), and it's so much faster than the Cricut. I love that I don't need to mess around with the sticky mat. The bonus with the Big Shot is the embossing. I've use the Nesties, the Sizzix texture plates, and even a Cuttlebug folder - all with super results. My Cricut is perfect for lettering, but I adore the Big Shot for general shapes, embossing, and matting. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both the Cricut Expression and the Big Shot. I have found that when making cards, I use my Big Shot ALL THE TIME. Don't ever want to be without it now. My Cricut is used all the time when scrapbooking. I started out with the little Sidekick and an 3 alphabet sets because I was so tired of buying alphabet stickers, using it for one daughers name and that was it. No more a's and e's and I was done with what was left. They are still sitting in a bag. Now that I have the cricut, I would like to sell my sidekick, large Sizzix Die Cutter and all my Sizzlets if I could find a buyer. You won't regret having both, I promise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have had the Cricut baby bug for almost two years, and I have the Sure Cuts a Lot software so that I can use the TrueType fonts and dingbats on my computer. Love it. And I still buy the occasional cartridge.

That said, I spent a lot of time researching and reading about manual machines because I wanted to be able to emboss backgrounds. I ended up getting the Big Shot about a month ago. I love it. Very easy to use, very fast.
I'm not really interested in buying font-type cutting dies to use with it, because I think they are expensive and you can only cut things that one size; with the Cricut I can choose what size to make things. But for the embossing, the Big Shot is perfect. So far I've only been using Cuttlebug folders, but I'm very happy with the purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have both and love both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

i'm glad you got so many positive responses to this question...
ya see, i just got a cricut for xmas and i bought a big shot about 2 days ago
(Amazon had that great deal, i only had an hour to decide, the pressure broke me! and i splurged...but shhhh don't tell the bf. hehe, i'm hoping i can just sneak it in and pretend i've had it all along, hahah).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Of course you need both. I have the Cricut Expression, the BigKick, and the Cuttlebug. When I got the BigKick, I was going to sell my cuttlebug but decided to keep it. Not sure why I need both but what the heck, I already spent the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I have both machines. The SU Big Shot is my favorite of the two. The SU die cuts are awesome and with the versatility of using all die cuts with the Big Shot, it is an excellent investment and tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I have both, love them and will not buy any other..... for now ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both and wouldn't get rid of either. As many have already stated, the Cricut is great for cutting all sizes, shapes & fonts. The BigShot is awesome because you can emboss with it and cut thicker things with the steel rule dies. For that reason I wouldn't get rid of it. I use them both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I love being able to emboss with my Big Shot, but so far it hasn't been worth the cost. I need to emboss a LOT more! I do all of my cutting with my Slice (sorry, I don't have a Cricut) and I probably won't ever buy any kind of die cut for my Big Shot. If I had it to do again, I might not even buy my Big Shot. That's just me, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Has anyone bought their Big Shot from QVC?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought my Big Shot from SU. I have bought other products from QVC and have no regrets. Flex pay options, ordering and delivery service are excellent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Cricut/bigshot

I have both, I bought the bigshot first and love it. Then I gotr a cricut from a freind, and I have to say I used it quite a bit at first but now I'm almost to lazy to use it. I wish the alphabet sets wern't so expensive, then I think i would sell the cricut.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have Cricut, BS and Cuttlebug. I use the Cuttlebug the most. Not sure why. I think I will start selling off my Cricut stuff. I have 30+ cartridges and probably have used 5...what a waste.... :( I have all the goodies in multiples (mats, blades) and the nice wheeled bag. I just dont use it...I think because I would have to get it out and put it away each time I wanted to use it. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everybody for your thoughts! I just went ahead and placed an order for the Big Shot...I am so excited and can't wait to get it.

The more I hear from people, the more I think that the 2 machines both do serve their own purposes. I was hung up on thinking that they both did the same thing...but they really don't.

Thanks again for nudging me in the right direction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I have a cricut, silhouette, and big shot. I love them all and use them all. I use the big shot a lot because it embosses which the other two dont. Plus a have a ton of dies from when I had the original red sizzix after it first came out as well. You are going to love it when it gets here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

You guys are BAD. I was able to order a Cricut Expression this weekend at Cricutmachine.com for $260.91 (including 2 cartridges) - and also got the Sure Cut software.

I had wanted the Big Shot originally, but DH got excited about the Cricut and the Sure Cut possibilities. So ... who can say no?

Now after reading this thread - I still want the Big Shot. NUTZ!! Cha-ching but FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in that ...both and then some... and just when I thought there was nothing else to purchase for the Big Shot...lo and behold NEW dies...yey!! I like to use my Cricut for both scrapbooking and card making, but I also use it for school projects and skits for church and the Big Shot is just wonderful for embellishments and such for cards and scrapbooking as well as all of the new and old ideas for home decor, etc. They're both like never-ending with ideas and the possibility of what you could create. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

This is exactly the forum I need to help me decide if I should get the Big Shot or not! I make a lot of goodies for women's retreat with church, and don't like the idea of replacing paper on the Cricut's sticky pad 150 times.

Already own the Cricut and think I need the Big Shot so I can use the pillow box and others. What do you think??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_designerView Post
This is exactly the forum I need to help me decide if I should get the Big Shot or not! I make a lot of goodies for women's retreat with church, and don't like the idea of replacing paper on the Cricut's sticky pad 150 times.

Already own the Cricut and think I need the Big Shot so I can use the pillow box and others. What do you think??
The Big Shot is much better for mass producing things. And I'm completely in love with the Bigz XL dies that are gift bags, boxes, shakers, cards, etc.

But I can't imagine using my Big Shot to cut out titles and having to run 50 letters through one at a time. That's when I turn to my Cricut. Or for Disney Princesses. Or Cars characters.

I love both for completely different purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I'd like to addmy 2 cents worth. DO IT! I've got both plus accucuts(Sp?) and quic cuts (I can't spell that either). You'll use what you've got and the more you use them the more you figure out you can do with them. My husband asked the same question. I bought the cricut and the big shot whenin two months of each other.I've had the other two for ages. This from the woman with 6 zyron machines. I'd like to work for the zyron people.P.S. I don't even have the excuse of being a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the BS for a couple of years and then Santa brought me the Expression. I love them both. But I'm going to be very selective about the dies I buy to make sure I'm don't have a cartridge with the same image.

I use them both equally and have no problem justifying why I need both as they really are not the same. To me it's the difference between a classic ink pad verus a craft pad. They both have ink but still have differnt uses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #28  
bck
Embossing Fanatic

I have the Cricut Expression and the BigKick and use both!! I'm so glad I have BOTH!!! I love the BigKick for embossing with Cuttlebug folders, Texture Plates, etc. I love the Cricut for cutting letters and various shapes. I've even started making stencils with contact paper on the Cricut, so I can etch glass bottles. What a fun project!!

I don't want to be an enabler, but have you seen the Electronic Big Shot at QVC??? Yes, just push a button and it slides right through...no more cranking the handle!! Do I need that?????? OY!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess I wouldn't want anything electric, because there's more of a chance it could break (i.e, a short, fuse, etc.), so I wouldn't want to take that chance. I'd rather give my biceps a workout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

I have been eying the Big Shot in the new SU! catalog. Now I just need to convince my hubby that I really NEED them both. Perhaps I should steer him to this thread. hehe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I have the original Cricut and a Big Shot. They are totally different machines and do completely different things. The Cricut is especially amazing for scrapbooking (and is also great for cards and school projects) but it is more of a hassle to use. It's not a terrible burden or anything, but the Big Shot is SO quick and easy to use. I know there is a new electric Big Shot and I guess that's nice but mine is so easy to crank. Unless you were constantly mass producing or had an illness/disability (like arthritis, MS, etc.), you wouldn't really need the electric model, IMO. I love using nesties with my Big Shot. The Sizzix dies cut through chipboard like butter. It's so awesome!

I really like my Cricut a lot but I LOVE my Big Shot and use it much more often. I considered the Cuttlebug but decided on the Big Shot because it is sturdier and more versatile, IMO. I give it two thumbs up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by L. AnnView Post
I have been eying the Big Shot in the new SU! catalog. Now I just need to convince my hubby that I really NEED them both. Perhaps I should steer him to this thread. hehe!
The Big Shot is one of the best things SU has ever added to their line of products. SU has so many cute dies too. I have a big wish list and they keep adding more. I got the big snowflake die before Christmas and made snowflake ornaments using chipboard. I used craft ink to color and emboss them and added glitter, ribbons, and rhinestones. I punched a hole, inserted an eyelet and hung them on stretchy silver cord and stamped a tag to hang on the cord too. They were so much fun to make and I was pleased with how they turned out. You can't go wrong with the Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes