Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiskars texture plates -how to?/feedback *merged*

I bought the plates today at Joann's, but when I try to use them they don't want to go through the machine. Is there something special I need to use these texture plates?

Thanks for your help
Kim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Are they blue plates for dry embossing? I have some and I like them. I had to order the little "tool" -- from Fiskar's -- I think I got it from Joann's online or something like that, maybe dick blick??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Yes, they are the blue ones. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was posting in two different places at the same time. I need to know how to use them with my cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

in other threads I've seen that people are using the wizard charm embossing kit. but I'm wondering if making a sandwich with the texture plates and some rubber gasket sheet material (about $3 at the hardware store) will work just as well. I'd love to see someone compare both items and give a review. In fact, I posted in the cuttlebug thread that I'd RAK the first 1-3 people who tried them both for a comparison.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 10:04 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Default texture plates

I purchased a set of texture plates (Fiskars) a few months ago! I finally got around to trying them out!! Yikes!! I can't get them to work! I emailed Fiskars and they sent me direction but am feeling craft challenged!! So what else is new! Does anyone use these plates and do you have any suggestions! thanks MP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have the texture plates. I like them except that it takes so long to use. You can see the effect in this card.

I hope I can explain this adequately. There is a little texturing tool that you need. It has a little metal nob on the bottom. Place your paper on top of the template and use the texturing tool (it's basically pushing the paper into the holes of the texture plate to create the dry embossing. I've found it best to roll it in circles (using pretty hard pressure) around the area that you want.

I have heard that you can also use them in the cuttlebug, which sounds easier, but I haven't tried.
HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpchipmunk
I have the texture plates. I like them except that it takes so long to use. You can see the effect in this card.

I hope I can explain this adequately. There is a little texturing tool that you need. It has a little metal nob on the bottom. Place your paper on top of the template and use the texturing tool (it's basically pushing the paper into the holes of the texture plate to create the dry embossing. I've found it best to roll it in circles (using pretty hard pressure) around the area that you want.

I have heard that you can also use them in the cuttlebug, which sounds easier, but I haven't tried.
HTH.
Thanks for the tip - I read MP's post and panicked - not only did I purchase these for myself this holiday season - but I bought them for my Secret Santa recipient too! I thought "oh no!" But I also bought the Fiskars tool as well ( with the 3 metal bumps on the bottom?) so I am hoping it will work. Good to know it takes a bit of pressure, so that I won't be timid with it when I try it out.

Thanks ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

You can emboss with the texture plates by either using a stylus (pen-like thing with either a round ball at one end, or two different-sized balls at both ends) or the Fiskars texturising tool. The tool is dark blue and kind of resembles a spool for thread. It has three grips on it and some little ball bearings on the bottom. You roll this tool in small circles around on the cardstock that is placed over the texture plate.

I've only ever used the texture plates with the texturising tool. I've read some advice to rub waxed paper over the cardstock first in order to get a smoother motion with the tool but personally I don't notice any difference at all, plus I feel really dumb rubbing the cardstock. There is a spray product out there that is specifically for dry embossing; you spray it on your cardstock then emboss and it is supposed to make the paper easier to slide the tool or stylus over, and make for cleaner, crisper embossing. I don't know the particulars of this product, but maybe others do here. I've also read the suggestion of lightly misting the front side of the cardstock with water. Haven't tried that one yet, but will be doing so the next time I emboss.

I love the Fiskars texture plates but rarely use them (tho I love the finished results when I do!). So, I'm getting a Big Shot so I can use these plates in them and emboss really easily and quickly.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Does anyone know if there is a trick to using these in a cuttlebug? I have the hand tool, but it takes awhile. Just to slip it through the bug sounds a lot easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I have some texture plates. I always tape my paper down to prevent it from slipping. Also picked up some PaperGlide to help when using SU cardstock.

I too was wondering if it would work in the cuttlebug or bigshot. I may have to give it a try this weekend.

ahahahahahDaynaahahahaha
Anyone can be an artist.....you just have to have the desire not to get up early in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by twyant
Does anyone know if there is a trick to using these in a cuttlebug? I have the hand tool, but it takes awhile. Just to slip it through the bug sounds a lot easier.
Yes, you need the Wizard Charm Embossing Kit put out by Spellbinders. There are 2 tan polymer pads in it. You make the following sandwich: plate A, texture plate, cardstock, 2 polymer pads, B plate. Works like a charm, no pun intended! I have 3 packs of texture plates that sat unused forever! Now I can't STOP using them! I got my WCEK at JoAnn.com, but apparently they're not carrying them anymore. If you do a google search you should find several vendors.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

drat! there is always something I "need"! lol I have the texture plates and hate using the tool it takes so long! so now I have the cuttlebug on my wish list! thanks for all the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been playing with the Fiskars plates and my Big Shot and the more I use them, the better results I get.

I was advised here on SCS to run it back and forth a few times in my Big Shot and that really did the trick to get a crisper embossed image.

The more I play, the more I like them! I did use the Multipurpose platform and the Ellison Big Impressions Starter kit.

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vera,

Can you describe the "sandwich" you used with the Multipurpose Platform and Big Impressions Starter kit? I have the Big Shot and the Sizzix version of the above 2 items.

Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I figured out something for the texture plates that worked for me.

Plate A, Texture plate, cardstock spritzed with water, 2 layers of fun foam (bought at Walmart for .33 a sheet), chipboard (I used the back of a notepad) and top with plate C. I did crank it through a few times, but i was rather impressed the image, not as deep of course as the CB folders, but still pretty good.

I did not have the patience to wait for an order of the wizard pads, so i have been working all week at finding the right "sandwich" and i am so excited that i found something that works.

Have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by clawless6
Plate A, Texture plate, cardstock spritzed with water, 2 layers of fun foam (bought at Walmart for .33 a sheet), chipboard (I used the back of a notepad) and top with plate C.
That's awesome clawless6! What section of walmart is the fun foam in? I want to go get some so that I can try this out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

they have a tutorial video on their site!

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tv/

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

it is under the how to videos dated may 31 2005

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat in Ohio
Vera,

Can you describe the "sandwich" you used with the Multipurpose Platform and Big Impressions Starter kit? I have the Big Shot and the Sizzix version of the above 2 items.

Pat
Ok, I'm quoting what I read on the Multipurpose Platform picture instructions:

From the bottom up,
1. green tab on platform
2. texture plate
3. paper
4. silicone rubber (from big impressions starter kit)
5. impressions pad (also from big impressions starter kit)

Once I got the sandwich figured out, I found that it did help to crank the sandwich back and forth a few times to get a crisper embossed image.

Good luck and happy embossin'!
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

The foam is in the craft section at walmart. It is just single sheets of the same foam that you can buy in various shapes, sizes, colors for kids crafts.

I can not take credit for the idea, i saw a similar "sandwich" recipe over on twopeas, but i modified it a bit I think. I was just so darned excited though that it actually worked as I first tried cutting up 3 different mouse pads in our house, and no go for me. Unfortunately my DH just now noticed he has no mouse pad- hee, hee.

I hope this works for you, you will have to let me know.

Carla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

So are these texture plates different than the stencils (for lack of a better word) that you would use for dry embossing? Do you need a light table for to use the texture plates? I really like the look of dry embossing, I just can't get myself to buy the light table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

hello! I have 6 of the plates they are great but a little hard on the hand so I like the thought of using it with a cuttlebug or something. I went to fiskars to you show what they look like but they dont have a great pic so I found this discription and pics on ebay (I dont know this seller and I'm not promoting them) I just like to find things on ebay as they have everything lol.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiskars-Texture-...QQcmdZViewItem
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
Yes, you need the Wizard Charm Embossing Kit put out by Spellbinders. There are 2 tan polymer pads in it. You make the following sandwich: plate A, texture plate, cardstock, 2 polymer pads, B plate. Works like a charm, no pun intended! I have 3 packs of texture plates that sat unused forever! Now I can't STOP using them! I got my WCEK at JoAnn.com, but apparently they're not carrying them anymore. If you do a google search you should find several vendors.
Thank You! You even told me how to stack them! Thanks so much! My cuttlebug is so versatile and fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

The Fiskars texture plates are great, but I only use the stylus with them. I have the texturing tool and apart from giving me a hand cramp, it takes longer to use. It seems to scratch and skid across the cardstock too.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I have 18 of the plates (the double sides means I have 36 textures available). I think that's all that Fiskars makes. I got my Cuttlebug just this week taking advantage of a 50% coupon at Michaels. I picked up 5 folders, a 4 pk. of dies and an alphabet. I am totally addicted/bitten/smitten with this machine and I know I'll be even more so after I get the Wizard Charm Kit that I ordered on the recommendation of Lisa Loiselle. Here's the link she so kindly provided to me. They were very helpful and promised to ship it today.
http://www.marcopaper.com/wizardaccessories.htm. I can't wait to get started. I did try experimenting like clawless, but it was too frustrating. I finally decided to just be patient and place the order. After all, it's not like I can't make a card without all my toys, right.

Erica (who must stay away form the crafts aisle at Walmarts this weekend).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 05:45 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I did some more playing with my craft foam as the cushion for embossing. It worked also for the brass stencils (B, stencil, cardstock, 2 layers craft foam, C) and it worked pretty well on lighter weight card stock, but nothing heavy. But the foam is now left with an impression. I did not notice this at all when using the texture plates, and I did a ton of impressions. So my thoughts are that long term I will probably see impressions after using the texture plates. I have had the foam soaking in cold water for about 30 minutes and the impression does seem be leaving now. (I sound so cheap, worrying about recycling a 33 cent piece of foam, but i was just curious to see what would happen)

So may question to those of you using the Wizard pads: do they maintain their "cushy" factor? I am wondering if those also would need to be replaced eventually.

I suppose the B and C plates need to be replaced periodically, so I guess it would be reasonable to expect to replace the cushions also, huh? Nothing for free, is it? I am on a limited budget though, and it is all going to SAB this month, so just trying to make the most of my money.

Carla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I know with my embossing kit for the big shot, the "cushion" is actually rubber, not foam so it's less likely to get an image indented into it.

I think that's the same case for the Wizard charm kit. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

If you heat fun foam with you heat gun that should also take the image away.
My friend has a CB and I have a Big Shot. I have the Big Impressions Starter Kit or BISK. We are going to try it in her CB and see how it works with the
Big Shot Impression plates, Fiskars plates and brass stencils. It is similar to the Wizard charm Kit but comes with 3 double-sided texture plates. I'll let you know our results when we do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Leney, thanks for the fantastic tip with the heat gun!!!! Some of my foam was really getting smashed and i was thinking i would go through the stuff alot quicker than expected. But the heat gun fluffed it right back up.

This site is so awesome because of so many helpful tips.

Have a Happy New Year.- Carla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2006, 06:24 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Thanks,Carla,You are very welcome! Have you ever used fun foam to stamp on? You heat it with the heat gun and then stamp. If you don't like the image reaheat and stamp again. I have an example in my gallery.
This method can also be used to make you own stamps. Cut desired shape with die. Heat fun foam unitl it curls. Press on to texture plate. You new stamp will have the die shape & the texture. I saw this on DIY Scrapbooking. She also had an acrylic mount for the newly created stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Fiskars texture plates

where is the best place to get em? How many different ones are there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

I found mine at Walmart. I think Hobby Lobby, Joann and Michael's carries them also. I've been checking on ebay and I think there are 3 different sets each containing 2 2-sided plates.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I just found them on Joann.com and they have 3 sets that have 6 plates each in them. They are on sale right now but I am in the debate of should I wait and use a coupon or go ahead. It is driving me crazy! I got a cuttlebug and haven't taken it out of the package because I don't have any embossing things and I think these are going to be more economical.:rolleyes: at least that is what i am telling my hubby!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

I just looked at Joann.com and they have free shipping on orders of $25.00 or more. The Promotion code is JANFSH725. I don't have a Cuttlebug, I just use the hand tool for these, you can't do too many at one time because your hand and arm get tired.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I got two different sets of them for $9.97 each, plus shipping. The website is wwwl.widgetsupply.com. Each set has 6 two-sided plates. I ordered them on Wednesdary (01/03) and they got here YESTERDAY (01/05)! I can't wait to make things with them, as they are soooo very cute!
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoops! That's www.widgetsupply.com!

Here is the link for Set I:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...ates/SHC9-5655

and for Set II:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...s/SGR4-12-5659

There ya go!
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fiskars Texture Plates

I was at Target and saw these "Texture Plates" made by Fiskars. Does anyone know anything about them? Do you use them with something in particular? Are they like the embossing plates from CB? They look too wide for my sizzix but if they are plastic they could be cut down. Just curious. $12 for a bunch of them seemed like a pretty good deal but not sure what they are or if I'd be able to use them with what I already have (a sizzix with a converter).

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

I too am looking for an easier way to dry emboss with the Fiskars texture plates. I have the little hand embosser thing! But my hands get so tired. :( I have a Sizzix, but no Cuttlebug or Big Shot. Wish there was an easier way to use these plates with what I already have.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

You can also get the Fiskars plates at www.oriental.trading.com . I believe they carry all 3 sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

troopersma
Insane Embellisher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at Target and saw these "Texture Plates" made by Fiskars. Does anyone know anything about them? Do you use them with something in particular? Are they like the embossing plates from CB? They look too wide for my sizzix but if they are plastic they could be cut down. Just curious. $12 for a bunch of them seemed like a pretty good deal but not sure what they are or if I'd be able to use them with what I already have (a sizzix with a converter).

Jane

They are like the CB A-2 folders in that they produce an embossed look on the entire panel. They are made of very hard acrylic so you can't cut them. You do have to use the stylus or the small knobby stylus that is usually found right near the plates in most stores. It is time-consuming, but the results are good. You should also be rubbing the paper you are embossing with waxed paper first. This allows the embossing tool (stylus) to glide better. There is also a product called "Paper Glide", which is sprayed in the air while "wafting" the paper through the mist. It comes in a small plastic bottle.
Now I don't want to enable you here, but the best way (almost effortless) to use the plates is with the CB and the Wizard Charm Kit ($10.00 on-line). With a little experimenting, you can use one or more mats with the CB Plates to achieve a very good impression. I have a Sixxix and a converter. I'm too in love with my CB to try Fiskar plates in the Sizzix, but for it's worth, you can use all your Sizzix and Sizlets with your CB and you don't need the Wizard Charm kit. Somewhere on this site is a helpful "Cuttlebug Sandwich Stack Rules." sheet that some kind member drew up.
I hope these ideas and suggestions work for you.

Erica
Reply With Quote Likes