Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glue Glider vs Scotch ATG

Has anyone been able to compare the performance and cost of these two products? They look to be substantially the same, but wondering if one is really better than another or just different.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I have the ATG 700 with the adapter for the 1/4 tape. I like it but it is extremely large for me. So with advice of someone who has the SMALLER glue glider I decided to research it myself and ordered it. I didn't want another large adhesive tape gun so I think the smaller one will be much better for me. The one advantage to the glue glider is that both (small and large version ) have a tape cartridge that just POPS into the tape gun. No winding the tape into the spools like the ATG. If I like this tape gun better I will probably be selling my ATG. HTH
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I have neither, but am interested in getting a product along these lines. I did find a negative review for the one on this blog here:
http://pattyannesplace.blogspot.com/...ct-stinks.html
I have no idea who she is, just googled for reviews on the Glue Glider. I'll be eager to hear what anyone else might have to add!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I would also be aware of how much the refills are for the glueglider. I remember looking at it and thinking it was an oversize taperunner and the cost of the refills were quite high in comparison with the ATG refill

let me check it out...

Glue Glider Max- 49.99
pro- 14.99

refill: for the pro- 40 feet for 8.99 for perm and for high tac 60 feet for 8.99
for the max it was hard to find how much you got on each roll- from scrapbook.com's message board:
Quote:

I have the ATG gun and buy my refills 1/2 inch size 60 yeards for $6.22 per roll delivered. The glue arts refill is $15.00 for 108 feet. Do the math...the ATG gun can not be beat for cost savings.
from an online store:
Glue Glider Permanent Refill

$9.00

1/4" x 40 feet permanent refill for the Glue Glider Pro

seems like the atg is more economical in the long run...and the gun is cheaper too (except for the pro which is a smaller version)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I actually have both and when I first got the GGP the tape was wound up so tight that it broke after a few uses. There is no way to get this tape back on track. Even with the snail you could always open it up and put it back on track but there is no hope for the GGP. I ended up contacting cust svc and they sent me a replacement cartridge. (great cust svc) The tape in the GGP is not a continous tape like the ATG. Its broken kinda like dots but larger squares and the adhesive does not stick anything like the ATG tape. It works and serves its purpose but I am sure my projects with the ATG will never come apart but the GGP permenant adhesive has alot of wiggle room. I can actually pull a layer up and rub my fingertip across the GGP tape and rub it off. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For refills, the ATG is substantially cheaper as vensung1 stated. The refills are even cheaper from the Tape Depot. They are $1.50 each for 108 feet! I am on my 2nd roll and have no complaints! Even got my gun from there...gun plus the 12 rolls of tape cost me $43...no shipping or tax!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, after reading everyone's comments I took the Glue Glider back to Hobby Lobby and bought the ATG 700 from the local art store. It was considerably more expensive, espeically since I had used my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby, but it sounds like I'll be happier in the long run.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I bought the glue glider and used it, the refills are $9.00 for 40 feet, which I didn't pay attention to when I ordered it I thought I was getting a value. The refills for my tombow adhesive are $4.00 and come with 40 feet, making the glue glider the most expensive adhesive I have ever purchased. I have also used the ATG gun, it has a learning curve but is the best value out there. I wouldn't bother with the glue glider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I have the Glue Glider Pro and the ATG 714. I bought the Glue Glider thinking it would be comparable to the 714. It was much smaller so I thought it would be great to take to stamp club. My friends make fun of me bringing my ATG. They think I am a tool buying, supply hording, addict. Well, I am. But anyway, the two do not compare. The Glue Glider adhesive is like the Creative Memories adhesive in that it is a bunch of strips in a continuous line. The ATG is like snail. I'll keep my Glue Glider and probaby use it only for repositionable adhesive. It is way more expensive, even with a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 05:29 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, I am the minority. I just opened my GlueGliderPro and used it yesterday. As always before using on final products I test it on trim pieces of paper. I liked the design. It was easy to handle, and lightweight. It was already loaded with adhesive that LOOKED similar to the CM adhhesive. I used very little on the back of a 2 circles and stuck them to paper. First one I just gently set it on the other paper and didn't rub over the back, the other I rubbed my finger across the back to kinda seal it. Hours later I came back and tried to remove. The first came off somewhat easy, tore the paper slightly. The second one I went all the way around and could not remove without tearing the paper. So I tried several differnt colors of paper and did the same test except tried right away. It preformed great for me. And since I only had to use a trivial amount to get it to hold I feel it is a great value for me. I have used tape runners in the past but always had to use a large amounts to get the results I wanted. You need very little with this. I do not own an ATG and do not plan to. From what I hear it is a great value and works great. I just know that I have very minimum space and would not want to use something so big. It is right for a lot of people just not me. The GlueGliderPro has taken me away from the use of liquid glues and back to the tape runner side. I hate to compare it to a tape runner but it is just that easy to use, but a much more comfortable design. And I removed the cartridge and put it back in - wow so easy my 5 year old can use this. I paid 14.99 for the GlueGliderPro which came with a cartridge in it. The refills are 8.99. This alone I do not see as a value, but the fact that it worked great for me, is a very comfortable design, and I use very little to do the job - makes it a value for me. Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

I'm glad I read this. I've considered getting the Glue Glider Pro because it's smaller than the ATG so it's the perfect size for my petite hands. I might have to think about it some more though. Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisalis903View Post
I'm glad I read this. I've considered getting the Glue Glider Pro because it's smaller than the ATG so it's the perfect size for my petite hands. I might have to think about it some more though. Thanks for the feedback!
I am 5'2" and have a small hand. My ATG 50 is so easy to use...no problems at all. And it is light, too. It weighs 14.1 ounces loaded with tape.

I have a pic of it on my blog sitting up next to my Cricut Expressions if you want to see for a size comparison. You only hold the handle and pull the trigger to run the tape. It is very easy and light to use, IMO.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here's my 2cents

I bought the Glue Glider Pro...and I would love it except for one little problem I have....I can't really tell if the tape is lined up to the edge of my paper (I'm right handed & the tape sits on the right side of the roller)... anyone else?

On my ATG I can tell if the tape is lining up because it sits on the left side of the roller (hope this makes sense)

For this reason and the fact that the tape for my ATG is cheaper...I would recommend the ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I am so glad you all are posting your reviews on these products... I am debating on the 714 vs. the 50..... Not sure what the differences are. Any input between the two?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmurph36View Post
I am so glad you all are posting your reviews on these products... I am debating on the 714 vs. the 50..... Not sure what the differences are. Any input between the two?
Well, the cost is significantly different. The 50 is $25. The 714 from what is hear is around double the cost.

Additionally, I have been told the 714 has a guide that helps control, for lack of a better word, the used tape backing when it winds into the dispenser. In the 50, it just winds as it desires and would no be considered "pretty"! LOL One lady cut an acrylic disk to put over the wheel for the used backing to help keep it orderly. I just have mine as it is. I have not had a problem with it.

I don't know how heavy the 714 is, but I remember I was not as comfortable using it as I am with my 50 (I used it before I got the 50). No scientific basis here, just my personal preference. Maybe someone with a 714 can weigh it loaded with tape and compare it. As I stated in an above post, the 50 weighs 14.1 ounces loaded with a full roll of 36 yard 1/4" tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both and I do not like the Glue Glider Max. The tape starts about an inch or so down from where you start pulling it, which means you have an area where there is no glue. on large projects it wouldn't matter much but on cards it matters a lot!
I HEART my ATG and I'm done experimenting with glues!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I was going to buy one of these at Hobby Lobby, but compared the cost of the adhesive and will stick with the Tombow I buy from Penwa for right around $2.00 each, free shipping and it gets delivered to my front door. I have always was interested in investing in an ATG for the large projects I do when making cards for deployed troops, I think I will see if there are any local art stores that carry it. I would like to try one out before spending the money for one. Thank you for all the opinions on the different adhesives/dispensers.

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts

I have the Glider and get my refills directly from GlueArts (the mfg). They had BOGO over the Thanksgiving weekend - I got another Glider plus 9 refills for $54 (total of 10 cartridges) - I can stand paying $5.40 each for PermaTac -and they threw in another dispenser!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I have small hands-less the 8 1/2" from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my little finger. I have no problem with the 3M 714 because the design is such that the weight is in the center so the 'head' is not heavy and doesn't flop around. I bought The Tape Depot ATG because 3M was having problems with the 714. Kept having to try their 'fixes' that didn't work. Then they had you send in your ATG for a replacement so I couldn't be without an ATG. I prefer my 714 especially now that I have the 'new & improved' designed one. The Tape Depot tape works fine and is so economical. Ladies on the other thread here seem to like if also.
Reply With Quote Likes