Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy with basic Cricut?

Hi!

Is anyone an owner of a basic Cricut machine and essentially happy with it? I am debating whether to be content with one or save up for the expression. I have not been scrapping as much as I have in the past with the new baby and another on the way, but I have always wanted one. Thanks!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have one and I think I love it. I know I don't use it to it's full potential and I don't have a lot of the cartridges. It's more than I need, I don't need the big one. DH just bought me the design studio for it too. I think I'm set.

L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I had the O-Bug for a year. Even though I'd always wanted the Expression, I just couldn't get DH to see the point of the Expression, at that price. After a year of using the O-Bug, and the software, things were better. The limiting factor for me on the O-Bug is the size of the cut. Tags, Bags, Boxes and More wasn't being used to its fullest because a 6" mat limited the size of boxes I could make. This Christmas DH saw the sale prices of the Expression and that was my gift this year. Well, that and all the cartridges I've accumulated this past year, LOL!!! I've only had the Expression a few weeks and I'm so happy I upgraded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I have the original, small machine, and I love it. I've thought of getting the Expression, but it just looks too big. With Design Studio, I can do almost everything on my small machine that the big machine does. I don't need to cut 24" letters or images right now. And I like the small gift bags and boxes that I can cut with TBBM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I've had the baby bug for 2+ years. I've never been swayed by the E. I think it totally depends on how much you use your Cricut and what carts you have/what you use it for. I'm primarily a font junkie. I just bought SCAL last week and it re-energized my love for this machine. I also bought the Storybook cart and now own just 5 carts for my bug. I just wasn't "in" to the cutesie factor that PC kept marketing.

I highly recommend the SCAL program. I'll bet if you bought it, you'd find you don't really need a bigger machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had borrowed my DIL"s Cricut Expressions to see if I like it. I got the Create for Christmas. I like the fact that it uses a smaller cutting sheet. I only use it for cardmaking and for my needs the Create is just right. Wish I could get the Accent Essentials and the Plantin Schoolbook cartridges which are only available with the Expressions but I can always borrow them from DIL.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Plantin Schoolbook

I just won Plantin Schoolbook on ebay for $18.50 and that included shipping. I got the Cricut Create for Christmas. I really liked this cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I LOVE my little bug. I just don't need the bigger one. The little one works perfectly for scrabooking and I personally wouldn't really use the extra space on the bigger machine. If you want the big one, go for the big one though. It would stink to spend the money for the little one and end up getting the big one later anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I am happy with my little bug. My sister got the Create over Christmas and so jealous of her. The Create has the features of the Expression, but is the smaller version. If you're going to get the little bug I would at least get the Cricut Create.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I love my little bug and I've had it since it first came out about 3 or 4 years ago. I never complained about it and I've used it to the best of its abilities. I can say that I was able to get my money back for using my bug in its full potential. If I wasn't able to buy the Cricut Expressions for $199 on black Friday, I would have stuck to my original Cricut. Call me cheap, but I won't pay for the CE for more than $200 ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I bought the original because it was less expensive but also because I don't have enough space for the big one and I couldn't imagine a time when I would need to cut something bigger than 5-1/2". Overall, I have been pleased with the machine. The only thing I wish was that it had more size settings like the Expression. The original starts at 1", then 1-1/4, 1-1/2 then only in 1/2" increments from there. The Expression starts smaller than 1" (can't remember what it is though) and moves up every 1/4" from there.

If I could do it again, I would get the Create. It has the size of the original but the features of the Expression. Unfortunately, that came out right after I bought mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
I had borrowed my DIL"s Cricut Expressions to see if I like it. I got the Create for Christmas. I like the fact that it uses a smaller cutting sheet. I only use it for cardmaking and for my needs the Create is just right. Wish I could get the Accent Essentials and the Plantin Schoolbook cartridges which are only available with the Expressions but I can always borrow them from DIL.

I got the Accent Essentials on ebay for less than $35 from an online store. Brand new, in the box. It has so many great shapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I got the Cricut Ctreate for my birthday just before Christmas, I don't scrapbook and space was a major factor. I haven't had a chance to play properly, but I love it - my OH (who bought it for me) was quite impressed with what it does. I think you can change the orientation of the cut so that it will cut a long thin image over the 6x12 paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm fairly new to the world of die cutting and cricut. I just got the basic cricut for Christmas and it's perfect for what I need it for. I haven't had the time to play around with it yet but I'm loving it so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #15  

I have both. I loved the baby bug at first. (still do) I use it when I have small stuff to cut out. I have 2 in school so I bought the bigger one and have used it more for school and church projects than personal. I would probably go for the bigger one but don't pay full price there are so many places on the internet it can get it for around 250.00. Good luck getting a bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am very happy with my original bug. I have a really small crafting space and like the smaller size. It allows me to leave it out on a table and have room for the Big Kick to stay out as well. I think the choice of machine depends on what you will be doing with it. I only make cards and sb. My friend is a teacher and makes bulletin boards etc and wants a larger one. I do agree that my tags, bags and more is limited with the size of the little bug but I don't make those enough to justify the cost. I did just get The Design Studio and hopefuly being albe to rotate the shapes will let me make them a bit bigger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I am new to splitcoast stampers but I have been scrapbooking, card making and crafting for about 10 years now. My husband bought me the Original Baby Bug for my birthday last september and I loved it. But then ACMoore but the Expression Bundle on sale in October so he went out and bought that one too. Of the 2 I really like the Expression because it has so many more options. I gave my Mom the Baby Bug and she is just getting used to using it. I hope you enjoy any Cricut that you may have. The product is GREAT no matter what size you have.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Hey Kristina--

I just noticed we're both in Augusta! What did you decide on the bug?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I played with my friend's Original, and I liked it - but I decided to "go big or go home" and got the Expression.

Honestly, I could get by with the Original. I don't cut chipboard or anything like that (yet) - I mostly do letters and embellishments and none in a size that needs the 12x12 mat. However, I do like that I can cut out 20 things on one sheet, and I don't have to cut a 12x12 piece of paper into a 6x12. I know that sounds petty, but the less steps I have to use the machine, the more I'll use it!

Also, since I leave my Expression out, I find myself using it a lot. If I had the Original, I'd probably have it stored away and wouldn't play as much. I'm lazy like that, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the original and I am very happy with it. I usually only make cards though so it is good. I have nearly 30 cartridges, the majority won on Ebay for very good prices. I recently won Storybook for $26.00 and 4.95 s/h. That was a great deal. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have the original and I am very happy with it. I usually only make cards though so it is good. I have nearly 30 cartridges, the majority won on Ebay for very good prices. I recently won Storybook for $26.00 and 4.95 s/h. That was a great deal. Blessings.
Waaaaaa! I've been trying to get Storybook on eBay for about 5 days now, and the best I've seen is a buy it now for $45. I want it so bad I could scream! Neither of the Michaels or Joanns near me seem to carry it. (!)
Reply With Quote Likes