Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help me decide!!!Cuttle bug? Cricut? Sizzix?

Help me decide what to spend my birthday/christmas wad on...
I am looking the cuttlebug.
I need some input on Cuttle bug Vs. Circut Vs. Sizzix
If you had to do it over again...
Which one would you have bought?

thanks
j-me
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have any of these, but I DID put the Cuttlebug on my xmas wish list. Hopefully it will come through... if not I will buy one in January!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

If it were up to me I'd go with a cuttlebug since Sizzix is on it's way out. and a cricut, or Craft Robo (hooks up to a computer, but more versitile than cricut w/ no cartridges to buy). depending on how comfortable you are with a computer.
HTH
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

You don't need both a sizzix and a Cuttlebug. If you don't already have sizzix, go with the Cuttlebug. It's cuter! And takes up less room. :-)

A Cricut is a whole different animal. I think Julie HRR posted a comparison of all these machines somewhere. I'll go look for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I found it! :-) Go here

Julie's Blog Archives

and scroll down a little till you see
Die Cutting Machines: A Comparison

Julie is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I say go for them all, LOL!!!

I have the Sizzix and it's not on it's way out, although it's undergoing some serious changes and there is a new machine that handles larger dies as well as the older dies.

If I had the money I'd consider a Cricut, but not this year.

Good Luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I'd say go for the Cuttlebug and the Cricut. Cuttlebug is cuter and cheaper (I used 50% off coupon) then the sizzix and the cricut is a cute electronic free standing machine (meaning no computer required and very portable).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

If I had to choose between the Sizzix and Cuttlebug I would get the cuttlebug. If I were choosing between the cuttlebug and the cricut I would go with the cricut.

I had a sizzix and traded it in for the cricut and I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

I had a sizzex, hated it and never used it... bought a cuttlebug and I love it. I use it all the time! It soooo much easier to move around and use. As for the Cricut- I don't have one and have no desire to get one. I don't have need for what it does. Hubby keeps trying to get me one but I keep turning him down since I don't have a place to put it and probably won't use it all that often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

thanks you all....
I am really considering the cuttlebug. I have a 40% off coupon and the machine is $69...that is a pretty good deal I thought.
Merry Christmas to all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not to confuse things anymore, but the Big Shot is another option. It is similar to the Cuttlebug. From my understanding, the Cuttlebug is just a little lighter and takes up a little less room. I recently decided to go with the Big Shot though because the Cuttlebug has suction cups on the bottom of it, and I didn't want to be concerned about it coming up from the surface while I was using it. Check out Julie's blog though - it gives a great comparison.

I got my Big Shot from Costco for around $55 and free shipping. I've been happy with it so far. It can also accomodate Sizzix and Cuttlebug dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I need to put in my 2 cents worth here. I got a Sizzix unit perhaps two years ago. I have many alphabets, however, I like the ones that are a bit "thicker" as they are easier to keep from tearing when you remove them from the cutter and they are so much easier to mount (lollipop and Serif are my favorites) you can use the sizzlets alphabets too with the sizzix. I purchased the pink and white Xyron unit last year when they were first released. I waited and waited for one to be available and even purchased two additional alphabets with it. I got it tried it a few times with friends and we all agreed it was junk. Sold the whole shot on Ebay for a fraction of what I paid. Then I thought I would try the Cricut. I watched it and when it went on sale about 3 weeks ago at Michaels for $179.00 - 40% (so was like $121.00 or so) I bought that plus two extra alphabets which normal price on them is $89.99 and they were on sale for $49.99) took that home and was so excited. I played with that for a whole day and hated that too. It does not cut all things totally out. It leaves little hinge piecies similar to the Coluzzle and you have to cut them. On the more intricate pieces they look terrible where you cut the litttle hinge pieces and I am so careful. It just took so long that it took away the fun of having the unit. Many of the things that the unit cuts are also so thin that they readily tear. I was so discouraged that guess what...took it back to Michaels for a full refund the next day. I am now looking at the Wishblade to see if it is any better. I hope I have not rambled too much but I have yet to meet anyone in our circle here that uses either of the above units I have purchased that likes them. :( I am happy to answer any questions that you might have.
Amber Shaw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I killed the thread...I apologize...but thought you all should have good and bad narrative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 08:17 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Nopers, I think Christmas killed the thread.

I've been following the posts about the Cuttlebug and the Big Shot very closely on SCS for the past month or so, and have heard altogether too much about different things breaking on the Cuttlebug. I have never heard of anything breaking on the Big Shot, at least so far, and it has been around a lot longer than the Cuttlebug. So, another vote for the Big Shot from me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Amber, I have the Cricut and it doesn't leave tags, it completely cuts out any shape. I love my Cricut, but I love gadgets. It is small, portable and great fun to use, but it is expensive, so you have to think about how much use you would get from it.
I don't scrapbook, but I do love being able to cut shapes from 1-5 1/2".
I also have the Sizzix, but I want the Cuttlebug, it is far more portable and far more useful to me as I don't have a dedicated craft room. I will buy the Cuttlebug, but I'm gonna have to wait until Sell-a-Bration has finished. :-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Ally...I am a demonstrator for SU and I have many customers that have tried the Cricut and have the same issue. I now wonder if it was a bad batch that some of us got. There is still the issue with the letters being so thin that they often tear and are hard to adhere to cards or scrapbook pages easily. You are the first person I have heard say they like the unit. Perhaps I will wait awhile and try another one. In the meantime, I am looking at the wishblade.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I have sizzix which I no longer use because I got the Big Shot. Love it! Can use all kinds of dies in it. I have used my sizzix dies more since I got the Big Shot than I ever did before. I also have cricut, but don't have it set up yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Big Shot, and after reading all about CB's confusing plate A and plate B, etc, I really like the ease of using my Big Shot.

I do suggest that you buy the Multipurpose platform and the Big Impressions starter kit. Joann's has both of those on sale right now. The multipurpose platform is very easy to use and understand. Also, when you crank the Big Shot, it is easy and smooth to use. I have a sizzix and I never use it, but I do use my Big shot a lot. I love that I can die cut chipboard!

Both of those accessories make it possible to use any brand of die, plus, Sizzix has some really awesome huge dies coming out!

I do love CB's embossing folders. They are beautiful! I don't have any yet, because I asked for them for Christmas so I have to wait! Wah!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

I love my Cuttlebug! I HAVE never had any other die-cut machine, so I have nothing to compare it to. I am having a great time with this one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Zipemate machine (Cost approx $69) with the crank on the side and it embosses the Cuttlebug folders just fine. You just need to buy the big plastic plate for the bottom and a acrylic sheet for the top.

The Zipemate also cuts the standard Sizzix dies, Sizzlet dies and Accucut dies with the adapters Zipemate sells. I love it. One machine does it all and you don't have to push like you do with the old style Sizzix machines, just turn the crank.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the sizzix,( got it last year for Christmas) cuttlebug and the cricut.

I like my sizzix but its heavy! They just came out with all kinds of new dye cuts for the machine including big monogram letters!
I love my Bug for the embossing... Its awesome and the machine is compact and cute!
I also LOVE my cricut and wouldnt trade it for anything! Its fast, and cuts everything out and doesnt leave tags. I now have 17 cartridges for my machine because I got them all on sale!

I would tell you to do some research on all the machines you are interested in because everyone has a different opinion on what machine is best. Only you know what machine is best for you...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Another vote for Big Shot and Cricut.

As someone else said, if you go with the Cuttlebug (or Big Shot), there's no need for the older-type red Sizzix Machine (note: Sizzix is coming out with, or may have already released, a new machine called Big Kick which seems very similar to the Big Shot). Anyhoo, back to talking about BS - I have it and love it! I made my own Quickutz converter for BS out of a piece of plexiglass and it works great (although I would not recommend making your own, as I got a nasty exacto cut during the process). With the Big Shot, I can cut out 8 QK's at one time. The machine also cuts Sizzix Originals and Sizzlits dies, Bosskuts, and Cuttlebug dies and embossing folders. BS is sooo simple to use - just turn the crank handle and it sends the platform through, nearly effortless. When I get some extra money I plan on ordering the multi-purpose cutting platform to replace my homemade QK adapter.

Now on to the Cricut...

I bought Cricut last summer with my b-day money. I considered Wishblade (or Craft Robo), but decided to go with the Cricut because it was portable and didn't require a computer hook-up. I really like it and the capability to cut from 1" - 5.5" is a big plus. I've never had any leftover "tags" to have to cut out as someone else said. The instructions say if the machine doesn't cut completely through, all it needs is a simple blade tension adjustment because different weights of paper need different blade tension.

:-) :-) :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

My dh bought me the Big Shot and the Cricut for Christmas. I know it is two days before but I HATE surprises! Last night we took back the Cricut.
I have a sizzix but the Big Shot is what I really truly wanted. I like all of them but I think I will get more use from the Big Shot and it will work with all the other dies I already have plus now I can collect Cuttlebug dies too.
I don't think you could go wrong if you picked the Cuttlebug, BigShot or BigKick. the Cricut is a league of "electic/computerized" systems.

ahahahahahDaynaahahahaha
Anyone can be an artist.....you just have to have the desire not to get up early in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I would go, Big Shot, from what you are telling us. It uses all the dies, is easy, and is lightweight enough that it is easily moved from table to table, etc..
It is not quite as light as the Cuttlebug, but much much lighter than the Sizzix. Turning the handle is easy. You can cut for a long time without getting tired.
The only downside, is that the cutting plates do seem to get worn pretty fast. I have had my Big Shot for only a few weeks and they are very cut into. And, they are are bowing a bit. I just keep flipping them. The machine cuts so well, and the shapes pop out of the paper so easily, that this is no biggie. The replacement cutting plates are very inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love my Bigshot and I do have the sizzix sidekick which is great for alphabets and die cutiing when you travel. I don't have any electronic ones althoguth I totally reseached the wishblade. Maybe someday.
Happy for now!
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

SHHHHHHHH...I know DH got me a Big Shot for Christmas!!c WOO HOO!!! bI was trying to decide between that and the Cuttlebug....but Your Royal rubber Highness convinced me I NEEDED a Big Shot. i don't really stamp outside of the house so portability was not an issus. I didn't like what I was hearing about the CB breaking either. Can't wait to play!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I too bought the xyron cutting machine and I hate it. Wish I never bought it. Am looking into getting the cuttlebug
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-me
Help me decide what to spend my birthday/christmas wad on...
I am looking the cuttlebug.
I need some input on Cuttle bug Vs. Circut Vs. Sizzix
If you had to do it over again...
Which one would you have bought?

thanks
j-me

Help you decide!!!

I need help too......lol

I have a Gift card from Christmas and my Birthday is coming up next month and I know i will get money from MIL for B-day.....And I am asking Dh for Cash for B-day.

I like the Cuttlebug....But can't seem to find it.
I know that Hobby Lobby doesn't carry it.. I looked today.

Big Shot is something else I am looking to get....Haven't seen too much of this one..
I did hear that is was easy to use.
I'll check this thread to see what everyone else is saying...So I will know which One I think would work better for me.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes