Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:06 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT KNIFE...anyone have one for cutting around stamps?

Just wondering how well they worked and what brand you have? Does it cut just rubber or can you cut around EZ Mount also?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I just bought one at Michaels and I LOVE it. I wish I had bought it about 150 sets ago. It cuts through EZ mount like butter. It will cut through the rubber too but not quite as easily. I think it's made by Walnut Hollow. My Michaels had it in the stamping aisle as well as with the wood burning stuff. You'll love it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I have to agree!!! This thing is awesome!!! So wish that I had found this a long time ago! It works so well. Got mine in the woodworking section of ACMoore.

My SUO Blog~Merry Stamps
My blog~ Merry Musings

Do you love Tastefully Simple?? Click HERE for fabulous recipes and to browse the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a hot knife - and a bunch of other woodburning tips and words to go with it.

Hands down it makes mounting on EZ Mount SO easy.

I'm curious how others do it...
I cut out my image (plain rubber) with Kai scissors...
Then I mount on the sticky side of EZmount, peel off the paper covering cling side, stick that to my glass mat, dust all around my images with cornstarch and a small paint brush to help control the stickiness, then use the knife to go around each image using the rubber cuts as the guide.
So easy - alot easier than cutting the EZ Mount.

Afterwards, I clean the cornstarch off.

I tried first leaving the paper on the cling and it didn't stick to the glass mat and was more labor intensive to to through the paper...

Anybody have any tips to make it even easier?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Great tips, Ireland. Just wanted to add that I use baby powder instead of cornstarch but serves the same purpose. Of course since I don't have the hot knife (yet) I then use an exacto to cut around the EZ Mount. Just wanted to add that if you use one of those "Air Spray" cans (for cleaning computer keyboards, etc.) it works great to remove all the excess powder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrelandView Post
I'm curious how others do it...
I cut out my image (plain rubber) with Kai scissors...
Then I mount on the sticky side of EZmount, peel off the paper covering cling side, stick that to my glass mat, dust all around my images with cornstarch and a small paint brush to help control the stickiness, then use the knife to go around each image using the rubber cuts as the guide.
So easy - alot easier than cutting the EZ Mount.
This is exactly what I do, and I LOVE it! I get such a kick out of cramming the bare rubber onto the EZ-Mount and not worrying about whether or not I can get my scissors in there. Hot knife all the way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrelandView Post
... dust all around my images with cornstarch and a small paint brush to help control the stickiness...
D'oh!! I've been sprinkling baking soda (same difference as cornstarch) around the rubber by grabbing a small handful at a time. I get powder all over the stamps and back of the EZ Mount this way but didn't think of how else to do it!

Thank you tdodd for the tip about the air canister!

I don't have a hot knife (yet; it's not for lack of trying) but had some things to add. The Walnut Hollow woodburning tools at our Walmart in College Station, TX don't come with a knife tip, and heat up to 950 deg F. I've heard that there is another Walnut Hollow tool that heats up to 750 deg F and that is plenty sufficient for stamp trimming purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

LOVE MY HOT KNIFE!!! I think it is the one tool that got me through my unmounting process! The tip about the cornstarch/baby powder came about half way through but did make it so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a thread some time back when everyone was cutting out the Big Blossom Stamp.... you might want to do a search for it...
Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I think this was the one, but thought there where more posts to the thread talking about hints and such... maybe it was a dream... Hubby says I talk about stampin' in my sleep....lol..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I have a hot knife on its way and was wondering whether I still needed to use baby powder. Thanks for answering my question before I even asked.

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a heat thingy with a "stencil tip" (it isn't really a knife blade I don't think) and I tried to trim my EZ mount and it smoked and smelled horrible. Do the hot knives smoke? I don't want to be breathing that stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

The hot knife seems to throw off a little smoke, but it doesn't smell. I was using it right next to where my son was working and he didn't notice anything, and he's usually really touchy about funny smells.

I did try just one stamp without the baby powder, and was not happy with the results. More adhesive gunk on the knife, and the stamp felt sticky all over when I was done. Ended up dusting the edges with baby powder at the end anyway; so it's lots easier to do it at the start.

And thank you to whoever suggested the canned air! I've been using a soft face scrubbing brush, which works - but the canned air would be less labor-intensive and I'm all for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

so I wonder can you use this hot knife to trim the rubber stamps only to be mounted on the wood block? I sure would like a die cut look for my stamps. I do have the rubber scisors but there always seems to have that one spot ya know?
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Dawn - I don't think it will work nearly as well on the rubber. Like the other ladies here, I trim my rubber first with a scissors then stick to the EZ Mount and trim that with the hot knife, and the EZ Mount just kind of melts away. The rubber doesn't do that - I'm guessing it "melts" at a much higher temperature than the EZ Mount. You would still be able to cut it with the knife, but I've done that and I think the scissors is much easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

There is one lady on SCS who uses a hot knife to cut through both the foam and the rubber. She says she lets the knife heat up until it is blue-hot and has no problems getting it through the rubber. I don't remember if she has the 950 deg F tool or the 750 deg F.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I'm all for easier cutting. Is this the same knife that you are all talking about?

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog_o...8&rId=GOBASECI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

That looks very similar to the one I've been eyeing in Walmart -- just prettier colours and different attachments, but otherwise the shape and the way the tool heads attach are identical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

I hesitated getting the hot knife after a friend of mind told me about it from this site. But, after reading all of these posts about how great it is...I'm REALLY excited. Just got an email today that they have shipped out! SOOOO EXCITED!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Just received my hot knife today. Tried it on a Stampin' Up set. It works well once it gets really hot (I have the 950 degree knife). You do, however, have to be careful not to undercut with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Does anyone know if there are any concerns about toxic fumes when cutting rubber with a hot knife? I remember when I first started my business, I contacted a company that makes scroll saws and they had a machine that works a lot like a hot knife. I asked if that could be used to cut rubber and I was told "no, the fumes would be dangerous". I will contact the lady who manufactures my rubber and see if she has any insight.

Smiles,
Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 02:30 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm interested to know what you find out.

I always use my knife in a well ventillated area, and normally, I'm not cutting a lot all at one time. I cut and then turn it off so the amount of fumes are minimal and my exposure is limited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittychickView Post
Does anyone know if there are any concerns about toxic fumes when cutting rubber with a hot knife? I remember when I first started my business, I contacted a company that makes scroll saws and they had a machine that works a lot like a hot knife. I asked if that could be used to cut rubber and I was told "no, the fumes would be dangerous". I will contact the lady who manufactures my rubber and see if she has any insight.

Smiles,
Melissa

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:04 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

I am wondering if we need to invest in the glass mat - something has to go under the EZ Mount - you don't want the knife to burn your table underneath - do you think the EZ Mount would cling to something like a glass cutting board? They sell those at the dollar (er, Euro) stores rather than costing $19.99. Anyne know the voltage on this thing? Mine hasn't arrived yet. I need to make sure I use the correct converter over.

Thanks ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 AM   #24  

I've always used a glass mat. I had one when I bought the circle cutters from Creative Memories. I don't really think that it's heat tempered, but so far it's worked just fine. The manufacturers of the hot knife recommend using a glass mat...one they sell, naturally.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

subscribing..interesting thread..g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

That would be me, here is the link to the original thread. I have given instruction on use in post # 12

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't had any new sets to cut lately, altho I do have some halloween sets to cut and get ready to go...but anyway I did cut apart the sentiment from the design on a couple of Michaels dollar bin stamps just the other day!

...They had a scribble type flower with the sentiment curved around the flower (and one had a pair of flip-flops) and I was able to use the hot knife to carefully slice the word off the mounted stamp, peeled it off the block and mounted it on the end. Really happy with that, both the image and the sentiment stayed intact and stamp perfectly.

I know some have had trouble cutting with this tool, I have never had a problem other than the blade needs to be replaced continually. The original one that I own was a free sample from the company just after it came out, bright lime green handle and it works fine...I bought a 2nd one on sale at mikes in 2006 with a soft green and blue handle and it workes fine - it came with one piece blades, the original has a screw in blade housing and separate X-acto type blades. I also have a 20+ yr old brown handled one that I got for stencil burning and it also works just fine. I don't know what the temp settings are on any of these as the packaging is long gone.

....I would suspect that patience helps, you must let the thing heat up really hot and you must take your time going around the rubber. It does require a bit of hand strength to pull/push the rubber thru the hot blade as well, but when the blade is brand new and it is really hot it does truly almost cut like butter! I use a cheap dollar store cutting mat underneath, glass would be great but just one more thing....

....I haven't had a problem with fumes either and I would be sensitive to them if it was a problem, but I only cut out one or the most 2 sets at a session, after that there might be some build up in the air and it does get hot using it! There might be more fumes just cutting the EZmount without the rubber. It is NOT as quick as cutting with scissors but I like the die cut look so I am happy to take the time to do what pleases me. I have been cutting my stamps like this for at least 3 years.

Joann

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
There is one lady on SCS who uses a hot knife to cut through both the foam and the rubber. She says she lets the knife heat up until it is blue-hot and has no problems getting it through the rubber. I don't remember if she has the 950 deg F tool or the 750 deg F.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

I spoke with my manufacturer about fumes from heating rubber. When she vulcanizes the rubber she uses a vent and an open window. She is trying to find more information about heating rubber and I'll post it here if she finds it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

Okay...I just got my hot knife...FINALLY...a couple of days ago. AND I LOVE IT!!! But one problem. It seems as though the end of my knife either doesn't seem to get hot enough to cut through the rubber or I'm just a goof ball! I like the idea of getting really close to the image by just taking the foam off, cutting the rubber with scissors and them mounting on the ez mount and cutting the extra off with the knife. But, it seems more work than I would need to do if the knife is suppose to be able to cut the rubber. Any ideas? Anyone have the same issue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2007, 01:39 AM   #29  

Kimberly,

I've found that I still have to exert pressure on the knife. Although it is hot and the heat helps to soften the rubber to make it easier to cut, you still have to press down firmly to get a good cut. If you think that your knife isn't performing like it should, give the customer service department (of where ever you bought it) a call and ask them if there might be something wrong with the knife. That's what I would do anyway. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kquizzleView Post
Okay...I just got my hot knife...FINALLY...a couple of days ago. AND I LOVE IT!!! But one problem. It seems as though the end of my knife either doesn't seem to get hot enough to cut through the rubber or I'm just a goof ball! I like the idea of getting really close to the image by just taking the foam off, cutting the rubber with scissors and them mounting on the ez mount and cutting the extra off with the knife. But, it seems more work than I would need to do if the knife is suppose to be able to cut the rubber. Any ideas? Anyone have the same issue?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Cool Change your blade & check your angle!!!

As with any craft knife, the blades wear out. When cutting rubber it wears out even faster. You can replace your blade with a regular X-acto or craft blade, just be sure the tool is cool.

Also, in cutting, the angle at which you hold the blade against the rubber is a huge factor.
By angle, I mean how high the handle is from the glass.
You should have the handle at the same degree as the blade; so the blade is almost parallel to the glass.
It's difficult to explain verbally & I don't have time to post a photo now (leaving on vacation in a day), but just try different angles on scrap rubber, you'll *get it* when the angle is correct and the amount of pressure you need to exert is greatly diminished.

"Don�t take life too seriously. You�ll never get out alive." - Bugs Bunny
Reply With Quote Likes