Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you sort your SU paper?

Do you sort it by color like RED, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue etc. or do you sort it by the way the catalog is done bold Brights/Earth Elements, etc? Which do you find easier to do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I am kinda of a SU paper snob. My nonSU paper is divided into colors (reds, yellows, etc.) and kept separated from my SU stash. For my SU stash, I have a file folder for each color. I keep them in a rubbermaid storage container inside hanging file folders. I used the big labels from the hanging files to mark the color families. Then I have each individual file folder labeled with the specific color names. Works for me, however I don't have any 12x12 SU paper. I don't know what I would do then. Space is an issue for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also separate out my non SU paper and sort that by color and store those horizontally in a literature sorter thing I got at Office Max. My SU paper I store vertically in larger size magazine holders-one holder for each color family. I made my own dividers and have each color labeled. In another magazine holder I store scraps separated just into color families.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am an SU paper snob and don't use anything but!! -- I sort by color family (in the same order as in the catalog).

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #5  

By color family, then alphabetically. Each in its very own file folder--yes, I know, why can't I keep my other files this neat.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

By color groups -- red, green, etc. I began by sorting by Earth Elements, etc., but decided by color groups would help me compare and use colors more often. Works for me.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I sort by color. Works well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I have mine in alphabetical order in one of those files for tax purposes. Got it at Walmart. Has a handle for easy tranport. I only use SU cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I sort mine by color family in the same order that they are in on my markers case since that's pretty much in spectrum order. also this way all my colors are sorted the same way (markers, ink pads, re-inkers, paper, etc). they're all in 12x12 file folders in the store in style drawers. I like it this way, it makes it easy to find the right color all the time.

all my non SU paper however is sorted by color, all together and in a sepperate drawer from my SU! paper as well. guess I'm kinda a snob too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sort!??? Is that a verb? Then I probably don't do it. Procrastinate?... yes! Sort?... No!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I sort by color families and I was so lucky. When Michael's moved to a new location they sold some of there paper racks and I got enough to be able to put all my cs in order. I love it that way and it is so easy to get to. They even had the metal tags so I was able to use address labels to make it look very neat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

My 81/2x11 is seperated by Su families then in alphabetical order in a literature sorter. Non Su I did by families. The scraps I just organized last weekend and put them in ziplock bags by color. Then any and all patterned I did by colors (ROYGBIV) and wrote on the outside Patterned Reds, Patterned Greens etc.. They all slip into the literature sorter except for the 12x12. I got a rack from a friend who got it from a scrapbook store that was closing. It is only one row so I had to make it work along with the patterned 12x 12. So for this I did PROYGBIV. I can get 4 packs on a shelf and 2 shelves for the patterned paper (will still have to thumb through that, but it is much easier now). And a shelf for the Scrappin kit things.

I really really wanted a 12x 12 literature sorter so that it can all be together, but I have yet to find one that I like that I can purchase. I just saw one insomeone gallery and I like that. Everything right there in one slot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 07:35 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I use a regular file cabinet and hanging files. I use a hanging file folder for each color, and group the folders by color family. I don't put the colors in any order within the color family though. I also have folders for Whisper White, Vanilla, all the neutrals, metallics, glossy, etc.

Something different that I do is to keep quarter sheets of all the colors in one of those photo boxes that you can get at craft stores for $2. I use Post-It Durable Tabs on the dividers that come with the box to label the sections for the color families. Within each color family, I can tell what color is what. So every so often, I cut a bunch of paper with my Carl Cutter and refill the colors that I need in my box. Since I'm a demo and make mostly card fronts, I use more quarter-sheets than half-sheets, so this works well for me. I also keep a file folder with assorted half-sheets, and I keep my scraps in quart OneZip bags, one for each color. I keep those in the top drawer of a Sterlite 3-drawer unit.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have my cs sorted just like it is in the catty. It's in 2 rubbermaid containers, 2 color families in each. That way, I can tell faster exactly which blue it is, etc, and when I'm looking to restock it's a lot faster for me than doing it by color. I also have 2 craft keeper things that I have sorted the same way for crops, so it helps me refill those faster/better, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I have 9x12 zip bag that I store each individual color in....full 8�x11 sheets as well as scraps. I have two of the stacks of 8 plastic drawers and have 4 different colors in each drawer....no particular order but rather no two similar colors in the same drawer to avoid confusion. I have the little 12x12 cs I have in 12x12 craft keepers in this vertical plastic holder I bought at AC Moore for 5.99 (actually $3 after coupon).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have mine in a file folder (one for each color) by color group just like in teh catty. for my solid cs, i'm a total SU snob. ;)
for my 12x12's i use a box i got from a QVC scrapbooking kit and it can hold i'd say atleast 300 sheets(yup, it's full!)-that at the moment has no particular order other than printed cs is seperated from solids.

i would LOVE to have some of those literature organizers, but all in time i guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I have mine in file folders, by each SU color and these are sorted by SU color family! I have them in the same order as they are listed in the catty. I don't like to mix my non SU w/my SU paper. I'm kinda funny that way. And to be honest I really only like to buy SU CS because I just love how it matches the inks, markers, etc and I especially love the quality ~ I think you can truly tell the difference. My 12 x 12 paper isn't really sorted because I don't have a ton of it, but I'm sure that sorting day will be here sooner than I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 10:23 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Each color to its own file folder, all file folders grouped by color family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sort by color family as well. I have them in a filing cabinet in hanging file folders. Each color (or type of paper specialty and vellum etc. too) has it's on folder. For the tabs I use the plastic tabs that come with the folders and instead of using the white tabs to label the colors I have cut a small piece of the cardstock and labeled that and slipped that in the plastic thing. I find that easier because I don't have to search for the color I want. I can just grab it out because the color itself not just the name is showing. (Did that makes sense? lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #20  
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

I have mine in literature sorters according to SU's color groups. Love it this way because they are all out there ready to grab and use. 12x12 is more difficult because of the size so I just have a small sorter for those with only 6 slots and they are just in there. I like my cs accessable this way because I like it open. The accessories that I have in drawers and such, I forget about and have to keep going throughit. Anyway.....

Debra
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I sort by groups like the catalog. I use sheet protectors that hold up to 50 sheets of regular paper (less card stock) and keep them in a couple of D-ring notebooks. Each sheet protector is labled with color and group and placed alphabetically within it's group. This system makes it very portable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I guess I am a snob too and didn't even know it! :razz: I keep my SU 8 1/2 x 11 separate from my other paper which I use with my sizzix machine, etc. I keep my non SU 12 x 12 paper in my paper taker, but SU is in it's own draw in one of my storage units. Since I am a SU Demo, it is easiest for me to have them sorted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Definately by color families. I have been scrapbooking for over 5 years and stamping about 1 year. I'm totally hooked on SU becuase of the color coding system. I used to take days (literally) to make one scrapbook page becuase I could never figure out what colors looked good together. Now I can make a page within a half hour. Since I have a two year old and a full time job my scrap/stamping time is precious.
Taryn

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I have a sort of file box from Sam's Club, it's got 12 cubbies that fit 81/2x11 paper. I put 4 colors in each one, contrasting colors so that it's easy to just grab what I want. It only cost $15 and has been a great way to sort my paper and have it handy.

When words fail, Music speaks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Each color to its own file folder, all file folders grouped by color family and in the same order as the case of markers. I also label my files the way scrown8301 describes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

By color family, then arranged within that folder in the same color order as appears in the catty. I have limited space, so I only keep a few sheets of each color by my work area and replenish as needed. I also keep half- and quarter-sheets in the front of each folder where I can easily see them, and scraps in a smaller ziploc in each folder.
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Default about the folders/hanging files???

I sort mine by color family, in the order of the catalog on paper trays (I have a nice little cabinet to hold them all). The ink pads are right there w/ them so I can pull paper and ink out at the same time. Scraps are also on the trays, stored in cello bags.

I see a lot of you store them in file/hanging folders, and I'm wondering if you have ever had any trouble w/ the paper "bowing" because it's sitting on its side rather than laying flat. I ask because I'm thinking I may have to do the same thing in the near future.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinwyoming
I see a lot of you store them in file/hanging folders, and I'm wondering if you have ever had any trouble w/ the paper "bowing" because it's sitting on its side rather than laying flat. I ask because I'm thinking I may have to do the same thing in the near future.

Lisa
I have stored my paper in the file/hanging folders for a couple of years now, and the only problem I have is trying to find a place to put the box! My paper seems to be fine...but the container is usually plum full. It's not quite big enough to fit full packs of cardstock for all the colors, so I usually have replacement packs stored somewhere else. I would love to have paper trays to store my paper, but I don't have room for that either. The box is a little easier to pick up and move.

I store my paper by color group (bold brights, etc), and my ink pads by colors (reds, blues, etc). Not sure why....I just do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrown8301
I have them in a filing cabinet in hanging file folders. Each color (or type of paper specialty and vellum etc. too) has it's on folder. For the tabs I use the plastic tabs that come with the folders and instead of using the white tabs to label the colors I have cut a small piece of the cardstock and labeled that and slipped that in the plastic thing. I find that easier because I don't have to search for the color I want. I can just grab it out because the color itself not just the name is showing.
Oooo I like that idea. My tabs are the white ones, but I punched a circle of the color and glued it on the white tab with the name. Sometimes I really have to look closely (my eyes are too old for this) because I want to see if a color matches...I love the idea of making the whole tab in that color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Wink How I do it...

is to sort by size (12x12 or 8.5x11). I have cropper hopper vertical paper organizers in both sizes (note these were cheaper from an online scrapbook vendor than from SU). Within each organizer I have dividers and have divided by color family as well as Neutrals and Other. Other is for non SU colored CS.

I find it easier to sort by color family as I find that you can pick any colors from that family and your project will coordinate. I can grab the stack between the dividers when I start my project, together with the matching stamp pads and coordinates at the same time and know that I can't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #31  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've got my paper sorted by colour family and I put them in those wire cube things and put extra shelves in it for each colour. Works really well. I've got all my non-SU patterned paper in a paper keeper and the solids are kind of in one big stack in one shelf ... I'm becoming an SU junkie!
Reply With Quote Likes