Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you organizing ALL your cardstock...SU, PTI, etc

With all the great cardstock out there (PTI, SU, Prism, etc) I'm wondering how you are storing and organizing it all.

I have a nice organization setup for my SU cardstock, but now that I've added PTI to that mix and probably others in the future, I'm pondering how to store it all.

By color?
By brand?
Other?

Please share! I'd love descriptions and pics if possible! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering about this...:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Subscribing. Boy do I need help with this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I have mostly Bazzill and I use the Cropper Hopper Vertical storage.

I put the mono sets or the trios into the paper pouches and then 3 or 4 paper pouches into each of the large CH holders. All of the Doodlebug Bazzill is in one CH. Same with all the other "sets" like the Bling CS, the KI CS, the Fourz, etc. I have mostly 12x12 and found this to be the easiest.

I use hanging files in one of my base cabinet drawers for my 8.5x11. Sorted by company and by color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:56 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do mine by color.
I have mostly SU and PTI. And frankly, no hit on SU, but I can pick out the PTI becuase it is thicker.
But when I do a recipe, in retrospect, it would have been better if I put a piece of paper (printer) between each different color and wrote the name on it. I can not always tell what I am using as far as exact color.
lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

I have mostly 8 1/2x11 cardstock (99%). I bought two plastic totes at Wal-Mart that you can put hanging folders in. I have my PTI cardstock first followed by my SU cardstock. I organize my SU cardstock by color family and my PTI are in the order that they came out in. I have them side-by-side on the floor next to my craft table so I can leave them opened so I can grab what I need very easily. Have fun organizing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I have two of the 2 drawer Sterlite file cabinets and store my paper in them in hanging files. I have the SU stored alphabetically by color family, and the PTI alphabetically. I use different color folders for each family, so it is easy to see at a glance.

I also tuck a manila folder in each hanging file to put my scrap pieces in. It saves paper because I'm not cutting a full sheet each time I need a piece to mat with.

Last edited by Menolly13; 08-06-2008 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default magazine holders

I store my 81/2 x 11 on my desk in black plastic jumbo magazine holders from walmart. The paper goes into the clear cello (9 x 14) bags and I put a label on each one. I, too, find that sometimes I can't tell the exact color of the paper, so I store them by color family for SU and then by company. The scraps then go into the front of the cello bag and then I don't have to worry about not using them because they are there in the front. I also have 12 x 12 in the cropper hoppers that we sell on a book shelf. I find that if I can't see something then I won't use it. I like to store by company because of the coordination issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I only use 8.8x11 CS, and I store all my SU in the Cropper Hopper Mag File boxes...I have them organized more by color than families, however I rarely use the brights, so they are on the end. I put a white sheet of CS in between each color with a round tab punched out of the color and the name written on it stapled to each. I also ran the white CS through the printer with the name at first, but gave up , since you can't see it anyhow.

I have very little other brand CS, and right now it's in my flat 12x12 trays layered with the DP it matches.
Attached Thumbnails
How are you organizing ALL your cardstock...SU, PTI, etc-cards088.jpg   How are you organizing ALL your cardstock...SU, PTI, etc-cards089.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a great question! I am overflowing with paper everywhere. I have my 8 1/2 x 11 SU in 2 Iris carts with hanging files ordered by color family, then cardstock color. This makes it easy when I am preparing for workshops.

I have SU designer papers and larger cardstock in 3 Sterilite 12x12 drawers. It's just random - whatever fits and I have trouble keeping up with what I have!

Then, I have all my other non-SU papers in one of 3 places - whew -
* Club Scrap - in pizza boxes on a shelf in my closet labeled w/ a marker
* SU kits and other various 12x12 papers in a Cropper Hopper file that sits on my floor (with stuff stacked on top) and
* Various 12x12 papers in standing Cropper Hopper clear files on my bookshelf - which is difficult to reach because I have stuff stacked in front of it!!

I think I need to improve my storage system. Or someone could volunteer to come over and organize it for me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually only order 8.5 x 11 from SU and Papertry.
The SU fits nicely in one drawer of a lateral file all organized by color family. The Papertrey has a drawer in a two drawer file cabinet and it organized by color. The 12 x 12 designer prints for both companies each have two drawers in my cube orgainzers. I love these organizers and have like 18 cubes with the different combinations of 3 drawers, 4 drawers, shelves, etc.
This works perfectly for me.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I have all mine by company because that is how I remember colors. I think it would make more sense to do it by color, but since I think in companies, changing the system now would confuse me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

I started out sorting by color, but with multi-colored patterned paper, that became a problem. I used to buy those big paper stacks and quickly became overwhelmed. So now I usually just buy smaller coordinating packs and I sort by company. I store vertically in re-used priority flat rate boxes. I remove the adhesive so they will lie flat, draw a line 12 inches from bottom of box, then cut at an angle, kind of like magazine holders, but MUCH more economical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the Sterilite 12 x 12 storage drawers that come in stacks of 3 drawers. I keep the SU cardstock by color family and then a drawer for In Colors. Now I've reorganized so that I can have one for PTI solids and one for PTI patterns also ... if PTI keeps it up, I'll need to reorganize again for one more drawer LOL!!

Then I have a drawer with Basic Grey packs and one with miscellaneous (BG, Crate, Cosmo Cricket, Daisy D) 12 x 12 sheets, two for SU DSPs. If I really need more space, my sister just might inherit some of my older Christmas DP!

I also store my unmounted and clear stamps in the same kind of drawers and I periodically will reevaluate which needs more space - stamps or paper - and recombine items. All of my neutral cardstock - SU and PTI white, ivory, kraft, SU gray, black - are in the SU paper holders alongside the storage containers and right next to my workspace because I use them so frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Ditto what Diane said in post #5. I have 3 plastic totes from WalMart for hanging files. Two are filled with SU, by color family exactly in the order they are listed in the catalog. The third is for PTI, and is also in the order the colors were released.

I use Cropper Hopper 12 inch vertical organizers for BasicGrey and other miscellaneous paper.

The only way I can keep things straight in my head is to keep everything separate by manufacturer. I'd go completely nuts trying to sort solely on color.

Have fun picking out the best system for you!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

I store my cardstock by company and keep it stored like Cher does. I would be totally confused if I stored it by color ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Hmm...so it sounds like sorting by color and company both have their pluses. Good points on all sides.

Right now I have my 8.5x11 CS in a hanging file folder cart...love it! It has only held SU until now and I've had it sorted by color family. Now that I have PTI, I'm trying to figure out how to sort it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post
With all the great cardstock out there (PTI, SU, Prism, etc) I'm wondering how you are storing and organizing it all.

I have a nice organization setup for my SU cardstock, but now that I've added PTI to that mix and probably others in the future, I'm pondering how to store it all.

By color?
By brand?
Other?

Please share! I'd love descriptions and pics if possible! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering about this...:-D

I do might by Brand then color.

Since I have Bazzill CS, SU, And other CS.

This works very well for me.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes