Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm so confused!...

What is a cricut and does SU sell it? I've seen so many posts on the demo sites about it but can't seem to find it in the catalog.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

It's not in the catalog. I think most are getting it at Michael's or the like. I believe it's a diecut machine? Try www.cricut.com for some movies on what it does. I have not actually seen or used one myself, so that's the best info I can offer. I'm sure someone else will fill you in much better than I just did!

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have several friends who have "crickets" Cricuts. They got theirs at Micheals. They are stand alone computers. You purchase them for about 300 dollars, and then each cartridge of fonts costs around 90.00. There has been much debate in our town regarding the use of half off coupons and such so you may find better deals with coupons.

You can type in -- say your name - ANGIE then HAPPY BIRTHDAY then a box and a tag and whatever, and then put in a piece of 6x12 paper and it will cut out what was inserted in order. The paper goes on on a sticky piece of plastic, so when it comes out the other end (think laminating machine) you just peel off your letters with a eyebrow plucker type thing.

Now, exactly how many letter sets could I order and extra ink or designer paper for 300 + 80+80+80+80??????

I like stamps.

But - if you are a gazillionair and have all the fonts in SU! and love cool gadgets, put this on your wish list for santa cause it is really super cool once it is all purchased. My friend carries hers on a tote and takes it everywhere, people purchase more blades and go in on font cartridges, it is sort of a group effort, and I guess it paid off for cricut as 3 in the group of 7 crafters purchased one.

I still like stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's not just another die cut machine. It's a wonderful, portable, die cut machine! Each cartridge may be pricey, but there are hundreds of possibilities on each one! You don't have to be a "gazillinaire" to have one, you just need to save up, and look for coupons and a store that takes them!!

I LOVE my Cricut, and I still LOVE my stamps!! theres room in the playhouse for ALL the toys!!

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water.~Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I love my Cricut and love my SU! stamps also. I use mine to cut out tags, bags and boxes among other things. I just cut out several little bags that so cute and are perfect size to hold the 3x3 cards and envelopes. You can cut any image that is on a cartridge at any size up to 5.5". I got my machine and all of my cartridges and accessories at 40-50% off. I have used coupons at Michaels and bought each thing one at a time. That way is much less expensive. It cuts all paper from vellum to SU! cardstock like a breeze. It is a wonderful machine and once you use one, you will wonder how you managed without it. Check out the video and ask for a demonstration at Michaels or your local Scrapbook Store, if they carry them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Default cricut

I have the cricut, but am afraid to use it. It is still pristine in the box the way I bought it. I got it for half price at ac moore. It comes with one cartridge and I bought the tag and box cartridge. Help! Will I love it??
I really can't afford to open it and then hate it. Do I have the right cartriges for card making? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazziebgood
I have the cricut, but am afraid to use it. It is still pristine in the box the way I bought it. I got it for half price at ac moore. It comes with one cartridge and I bought the tag and box cartridge. Help! Will I love it??
I really can't afford to open it and then hate it. Do I have the right cartriges for card making? Any advice?
Yes you will love it. I bought mine about 3 months ago. So far the only problem with it is my lack of time to use it. Love the idea that I can cut letters from 1 inch to 5 1.2 inch. Have the Tag & Box cartridge also, makes cool tags, boxes, etc great for door prizes. But I haven't had alot of time to play.

It has a very small learning curve, you don't have to be attached to your computer so it is very portable. Plus for me if I bought the Wishblade I would of also had to update to a new laptop as I am still using Windows 95.

Doing a scrapbook it is so easy to do the title pages with the letters, shadows etc.

Get it out of the box and start using it.
Hugs, Debbie Fagnant
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Or, box it back up, I'll send you a check, and you can send it to me! Half price is about the only way I'd get one, and only that after saving for awhile, lol!

OK, kidding......(really!) Take it out and play with it. I understand it's VERY easy to figure out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I have a Cricut and I love it. I bought mine from QVC for $259 but it came with an extra cartridge only available at QVC. I purchased other at AC Moore for 50% off. It's a great machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Funny Cricut Story :)

I had a stamp camp at my house a couple of weeks ago and right before this class I had a coupel of crickets move into my basement, right near my stampin studio. I can't find them to save my life!!

One of the customers asked had I seen the new cricut and I said no and I am so sorry for the inconvience of the sound I am trying to get rid of them...

They of course meant the die cut machine and not my new tenants!!

(Turned out ok, one of them just signed on as my first recruit of the new year!!)
http://stampwithtara.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by taratravis
I had a stamp camp at my house a couple of weeks ago and right before this class I had a coupel of crickets move into my basement, right near my stampin studio. I can't find them to save my life!!

One of the customers asked had I seen the new cricut and I said no and I am so sorry for the inconvience of the sound I am trying to get rid of them...

They of course meant the die cut machine and not my new tenants!!

(Turned out ok, one of them just signed on as my first recruit of the new year!!)
Can you imagine smooshing a Cricut with your shoe!!!:shock:

LOL!!

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by pebblekeeper
Now, exactly how many letter sets could I order and extra ink or designer paper for 300 + 80+80+80+80??????
I look at it like this- I originally wanted all of the SU monograms, which I could have paid $400+ for. I instead got a few monograms to show to customers, and then got a cricut, which I can now use even if I just use the cartridge it comes with, to make Monograms, titles, phrases, etc... in MANY different sizes, in any style paper, stamped paper, etc. The possibilities are endless. On top of that, I am sure they will be coming out with many great cartridges, and it really is a wonderful item! Since it is so new, the price will most likely eventually go down, and maybe stores will be offering more sales as the newness wears off

If you spread out the original purchase, and wait a few weeks for additional cartridges, its not that expensive - especially with the coupons out there for a little while longer. And it is so much more versatile than a single set of monograms, so I am glad I held off on those and got the cricut!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 01:33 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Default sizes

For those who love their machine.....Can the thickness of the font be changed? I know the height can. I saw a demo at Michael's but did not like the font.

I like the SU! monogram because the letters are thick.

Also I did try to purchase one with a coupon and was stopped. Is there a rule that it is ok or not ok that all Michael's stores will follow?

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper4armyman
For those who love their machine.....Can the thickness of the font be changed? I know the height can. I saw a demo at Michael's but did not like the font.

I like the SU! monogram because the letters are thick.

Also I did try to purchase one with a coupon and was stopped. Is there a rule that it is ok or not ok that all Michael's stores will follow?

You can't change the thickness of the font, but you can buy different fonts, some thick, some*not.

Some Michaels are accepting coupons while others refuse them. I have bought my machine, carthridges, tool set and extra mats with coupons. If the item is on sale for the week, they will not accept a coupon. This week the machine is not on sale and you should be able to buy it with a coupon. The carthridges are on sale so you will have to pay the sale price if you get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

oh this was a BAD thread to read!! I have been avoiding finding out what this was as I have soooo much stuff and spent so much money on Sizzix and coluzzle stuff that my dh would faint if I bought another toy that needed more pieces to go with it!! BUT this sounds wonderful!! HMMM I am thinking x-mas present!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm way to computer illiterate to invest in a cricut lol. They sound interesting, but I think they're beyond me. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:25 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

You can get a thicker font by using the shadow feature. It will give you a slightly thicker font that you can layer with the regular size or use it by itself for a thicker version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwjazz
You can't change the thickness of the font, but you can buy different fonts, some thick, some*not.

Some Michaels are accepting coupons while others refuse them. I have bought my machine, carthridges, tool set and extra mats with coupons. If the item is on sale for the week, they will not accept a coupon. This week the machine is not on sale and you should be able to buy it with a coupon. The carthridges are on sale so you will have to pay the sale price if you get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:59 AM   #18  
Hyper Typer

Send a message via Skype™ to papermoon04

[QUOTE=degrffn]It's not in the catalog. I think most are getting it at Michael's or the like. I believe it's a diecut machine? Try www.cricut.com for some movies on what it does. QUOTE]

It is featured on the back cover of the October PaperCrafts magazine. I had read these posts, but was not familiar with this machine. If you are curious, check out the back cover of your magazine. I am very tempted to buy one now after reading all the great reviews from all you enablers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

I think it is something scrapbookers use and not so much for stamping. I don't like the look of mass produced cut outs and so I will stick with stamps for my lettering, etc. I also just don't have space for one more pretty big object on my stamp table LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes