Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2024, 08:03 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ink Blending on Cardstock

Hi everyone,

What is everyone favourite for Ink blending on cardstock? I have found that I need a smooth cardstock. I like Concord and 9th for Ink blending.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (05-07-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:54 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hi Jasmine! I moved your thread to our Tool & Product Talk forum where it will get more views! Welcome to the site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2024, 11:49 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

I think I saw, awhile back, that Miss Dina had recommend Hammermill Premium Color Copy 80# 216 GSM Cover (apologies -- I just looked it up, and I saw that Miss Lisa, LovinPaper, recommended Hammermill, lol, and maybe a higher #/gsm....).

I tried a ream of it, and I love the stuff. For blending or dry embossing or stamping, it's really nice. I blend using brushes, so my ink isn't saturating the paper as quickly -- or as much -- as a sponge does. That said, I suspect it'll be just fine, because I double (sometimes triple) ink my 4- and 5-layer flower stamps, and I don't have any problems with the cardstock misbehaving.

Edited (again) to add: Just looked it up on Staples.com, and Staples now carries the 100# Hammermill, so I'll be getting that one instead. :-) I like the 80#, but sometimes wish it was a tad thicker.

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 02-16-2024 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: revised apology
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2024, 03:32 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My absolute favorite for ink blending is Strathmore’s Bristol Smooth cardstock. It can also take some water too, if you you want to flick some water or spatter paint. The only downside is that it’s not bright white. Hammermill is good for blending too and the color is nice, but it doesn’t take wet media as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2024, 08:56 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneDevotedDameView Post
I think I saw, awhile back, that Miss Dina had recommend Hammermill Premium Color Copy 80# 216 GSM Cover (apologies -- I just looked it up, and I saw that Miss Lisa, LovinPaper, recommended Hammermill, lol, and maybe a higher #/gsm....).

I tried a ream of it, and I love the stuff. For blending or dry embossing or stamping, it's really nice. I blend using brushes, so my ink isn't saturating the paper as quickly -- or as much -- as a sponge does. That said, I suspect it'll be just fine, because I double (sometimes triple) ink my 4- and 5-layer flower stamps, and I don't have any problems with the cardstock misbehaving.

Edited (again) to add: Just looked it up on Staples.com, and Staples now carries the 100# Hammermill, so I'll be getting that one instead. :-) I like the 80#, but sometimes wish it was a tad thicker.
FYI: the Hammermill I saw on Staples was listed as 110#, but the gsm is 199, which makes it an index stock, and not a cover stock. True 110# cover would have a gsm of 298. Hammermill doesn't make a 110# cover, but they do have 100#. To know exactly what you're getting, look for the gsm. For COVER weight stock, 80# is 216 gsm, 100 # is 270 gsm, 110# is 298 gsm.

Strathmore Bristol Smooth is also my favorite for blending.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 02-18-2024 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by uncbballfan:
BroncoFan60 (05-06-2024), DebbieinOC (05-08-2024), janesprando (05-08-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 09:37 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
FYI: the Hammermill I saw on Staples was listed as 110#, but the gsm is 199, which makes it an index stock, and not a cover stock. True 110# cover would have a gsm of 298. Hammermill doesn't make a 110# cover, but they do have 100#. To know exactly what you're getting, look for the gsm. For COVER weight stock, 80# is 216 gsm, 100 # is 270 gsm, 110# is 298 gsm.
Oh, yeah, I know! This is the Hammermill I'm referring to:

It's 100# Cover, 271 gsm!
[Whoa, dang, that is one big photo; sorry!!!]

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 02-18-2024 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: underline link
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
janesprando (05-08-2024), whim6915 (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 09:03 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default white cardstock

Normally I would suggest Gina K. She has the best #80 layering weight ($13.95 for 25 sheets) and I LOVE her #120 heavy base weight but the cost has skyrocketed. I paid $8.50 last year for 25 sheets and now it is $17.95 for 25 sheets. I don't think I can pay that much as I make a lot of cards to donate. Thank goodnessI stocked up when it was $8.50 for the heavy weight and it breaks my heart to think I have to find something else to use. Any suggestions? Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2024, 07:56 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoFan60View Post
Normally I would suggest Gina K. She has the best #80 layering weight ($13.95 for 25 sheets) and I LOVE her #120 heavy base weight but the cost has skyrocketed. [....] Any suggestions? Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your question.
I only have 2 brands of 120# to compare -- Hobby Lobby and DesktopSupplies -- and I don't *think* either of them are super duper high quality/smooth like what I've heard about Gina K. So, that said....

Desktop Supplies has made-in-USA 120#, in both 12x12 ($22 for 100 sheets) and 8.5x11 ($33 for 200 sheets). If you sign up for their newsletter, they occasionally offer 20% off coupons (they also have a 20% off first purchase coupon if you don't want to wait).

Like I said, though, I have no experience with the higher end brands, and I bought this cardstock because I couldn't find Hammermill Digital Copy Cover in 120# (I think they only go up to 100#).

I've also heard really great things about Accent Opaque's Smooth 120# card. I kinda wanna try that one, too.

Edited to add: Desktop Supplies' cardstock is definitely textured. It's okay for bases that aren't directly stamped/ink blended.

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 05-07-2024 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2024, 04:45 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you! I will give them a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2024, 06:08 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Quote:

Normally I would suggest Gina K. She has the best #80 layering weight ($13.95 for 25 sheets) and I LOVE her #120 heavy base weight but the cost has skyrocketed. I paid $8.50 last year for 25 sheets and now it is $17.95 for 25 sheets. I don't think I can pay that much as I make a lot of cards to donate. Thank goodnessI stocked up when it was $8.50 for the heavy weight and it breaks my heart to think I have to find something else to use. Any suggestions? Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your question.
Yes, Gina's paper is super smooth. It was always a favorite. In recent years, I have used SU Basic White and it is smooth as far as stamping and alcohol ink coloring. I am using Accent Opaque quite a a bit in the 80# and 100#. They work well for coloring with alcohol inks and great for card basis. I like Hammermill paper for most everything in card making. It will take stamping and alcohol inks well for coloring as well as the Spellbinders Glimmer System if you use that. Another paper I turn to is Spectrum Noir White, which is perfect for stamping and alcohol ink coloring. I am not devoted to one brand it seems. I have used Hobby Lobby as well for card basis. Most of their paper has a texture so it is difficult for coloring with alcohol inks, but I think other coloring mediums worked well.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
from the heart (05-08-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 06:15 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 267 Likes on 112 Posts

"Ink blending" may be a different techniqe from my using brushes and coloring with alcohol markers, but changing to these two cardstocks has made a world of positive change both in my attitude while coloring and in the results.
For layering, I use Neenah Classic Crest Coverstock, 8.5" x 11", 80 lb, Smooth Finish, Solar White, 250 Sheets (04701).
For card bases I use Neenah Paper 4456 Neenah 110lb Classic Crest Cardstock 8.5"X11" 125 per Package.
Both are available via Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
pepperann (05-18-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:19 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

What type and brand of brushes are used for ink blending?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2024, 06:50 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiebuttsView Post
What type and brand of brushes are used for ink blending?
I use Spellbinder's Blending Brushes and Mini Blending Brushes. I started off with some old mineral makeup brushes (flat top foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, etc.), but I'd get ink bleeding under the stencil in a few spots, no matter how careful I was. I had to pounce the brushes, which takes enormous amounts of time, and my projects were kinda-sorta okay. With the ink brushes, I swirl instead of pounce -- which goes so fast! -- and I don't get anymore bleeding.

Tons of other companies have them. Picket Fence Studios' are black with brown bristles, and come in a lot of different shapes and sizes. Taylored Expressions' , Waffle Flower's , and CraftStash's brushes are rainbow colored with white bristles. Scrapbook.com has their own line in gray. Altenew has a ton of different shapes/sizes. iCrafter's are stackable, finger-dauber style, and I totally would've grabbed theirs, if they had been marked down this low when I was buying! ($5 on sale, marked down from $40. Another crafting company closing up shop. )

I've heard of folks getting them on Amazon from various companies, with excellent results, too; but I avoid Amazon 99.99% of the time.

They're great fun, lol. Especially for those of us who are a bit heavy handed when applying ink; I never could get the hang of the sponge dauber thingies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2024, 03:18 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
My absolute favorite for ink blending is Strathmore’s Bristol Smooth cardstock. It can also take some water too, if you you want to flick some water or spatter paint. The only downside is that it’s not bright white. Hammermill is good for blending too and the color is nice, but it doesn’t take wet media as well.
I noticed that about my Hammermill. Its wet performance was disappointing. I want a more versatile cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2024, 11:02 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you so much OneDevotedDame. I just got my order from Desktop (the 120#) and am really happy with it. And I got 400 sheets for actually a teensy (used the coupon code so thanks for that also) less than I could have gotten 150 sheets from Gina K. I am still a huge fan of her company and products but sometimes you just have to make the hard decisions.

Last edited by BroncoFan60; 05-18-2024 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 07:31 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Thank you so much OneDevotedDame. I just got my order from Desktop (the 120#) and am really happy with it.
You're very welcome! <3 I looooove using 120# for bases. Feels like I just can't go back to 110#, which is where I started. I was nervous, at first, that I wouldn't be able to score the heavier stock very well, but so far, so good. :-)

Quote:

And I got 400 sheets for actually a teensy (used the coupon code so thanks for that also) less than I could have gotten 150 sheets from Gina K. I am still a huge fan of her company and products but sometimes you just have to make the hard decisions.
Oh, I know. :-( It's not ideal, *but* at least you're still supporting an American company, buying made-in-USA paper. That's still pretty awesome. <3
Reply With Quote Likes