Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking for a Cutter that cuts Heavy Chipboard?

Hi all.. I am sooo sad.. I was exicted about getting my MM Cutter as everyone I talked to said that was the cutter to get.. so I got it and w/a coupon so I got an awesome deal! and so I was all happy UNTIL I had to cut some chipboard I use the heavy chipboard as I alter alot of stuff and need it to be strong for my projects... and so I take my chipboard... and what happens.. NOT GOOD.. Doesn't want to cut it!! and then I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. . and so I went to my good old lil friend my lil fiskers the orginal oldie but goodie... and so I said I guess I'll have to use the MM for just paper which seems to be such a watse cause well my lil fiskers cuts paper to AND when I want to score I just take off the blade and use my bone folder and I can score.. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTT I go through blades like water I at least go through 2 blades or if I'm really working I have to go get another double pk of blades a wk...
So is there a cutter out there that will Score,cut chipboard and Paper??? or will I have to keep taking out different cutters for different things??? Anyone Helppppppp???

My Little Rambling World
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chipboard is really hard on all cutters. I do love my MM trimmer for accuracy, but it's not to good for multiple sheets. The best I've found for chipboard is a metal ruler, an exacto, and a resealable mat. Good luck in your search!

Alright! Who took my coffee cup??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've used my heavy duty Carl cutter on chipboard. I think "heavy" is a relative term, though, lol. But mine seemed pretty thick and the Carl cut through it just fine with a couple of passes. Do you happen to know anybody with a Carl you could test with your chipboard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapbookmama_14View Post
Hi all.. I am sooo sad.. I was exicted about getting my MM Cutter as everyone I talked to said that was the cutter to get.. so I got it and w/a coupon so I got an awesome deal! and so I was all happy UNTIL I had to cut some chipboard I use the heavy chipboard as I alter alot of stuff and need it to be strong for my projects... and so I take my chipboard... and what happens.. NOT GOOD.. Doesn't want to cut it!! and then I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. . and so I went to my good old lil friend my lil fiskers the orginal oldie but goodie... and so I said I guess I'll have to use the MM for just paper which seems to be such a watse cause well my lil fiskers cuts paper to AND when I want to score I just take off the blade and use my bone folder and I can score.. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTT I go through blades like water I at least go through 2 blades or if I'm really working I have to go get another double pk of blades a wk...
So is there a cutter out there that will Score,cut chipboard and Paper??? or will I have to keep taking out different cutters for different things??? Anyone Helppppppp???
Thanks to being a quilter long before I got hung up on paper, I've always used my hand-held rotary cutters to cut everything...and I mean everything. Uncured poly clay, foam board, mat board, chipboard, tissue paper, metal sheeting, wire, shrink plastic, fabrics (to name a few).

I have four sizes of rotary cutters...18mm, 28mm, 45mm and 60mm. Probably use the 45mm the most. The 18 mm whips around curves in a snap; the 60 slices easily slices through mat board, foam board (and heavy chipboard) . To begin a cut in foamboard, push the blade into the board, then push the rotary away from you. One pass is all that's needed!

Accuracy is a given, thanks to quilting rulers. Blades last and last...I start one on fabric, soon as the blade skips, I switch it over to crafts. I use a blade til it's so dull, it almost is could be a scoring blade. Although there are scoring blades for the handles. BTW: all blades fits any brand of handle (i.e., a Fiskars blade works perfectly in an Olfa handle). However, don't buy the blades labeled, For Paper.' Get the ones quilters use.

Takes about three minutes to learn how to use one. Storage is a piece of cake...everything except the cutting mat can be stored in a shoe box!

Can you guess...I love my rotary cutters!

Last edited by craftdesigns; 12-09-2007 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the explanation on sizes for the cutters - will look for a sale to get a 60 mm to cut the matboard. I tried with a smaller blade, finally ripped the matboard into a smaller piece and cut it on the paper cutter...patience was not a virtue that day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorism6220View Post
Thanks for the explanation on sizes for the cutters - will look for a sale to get a 60 mm to cut the matboard. I tried with a smaller blade, finally ripped the matboard into a smaller piece and cut it on the paper cutter...patience was not a virtue that day!
A couple more tips...be sure you're standing. Push the cutter away from you when cutting. Position the blade directly next to the side of the ruler and keep it next to the dies of the ruler as you cut.

A rotary cutter is intended to cut several layers of fabric at a time...the layers in a stack depend upon the thickness of the fabric (paper) and the size of the blade. A 60 mm blade will easily cut eight layers of text weight paper and six layers of card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
A couple more tips...be sure you're standing. Push the cutter away from you when cutting. Position the blade directly next to the side of the ruler and keep it next to the dies of the ruler as you cut.

A rotary cutter is intended to cut several layers of fabric at a time...the layers in a stack depend upon the thickness of the fabric (paper) and the size of the blade. A 60 mm blade will easily cut eight layers of text weight paper and six layers of card stock.
Wow, Nancy... I had no idea about a quilting rotary cutter since I'm sewing challenged. This is great information! This site has so many talented people on it it's like reading through a craft encyclopedia!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Be really really careful with those rotary cutters. If you've ever visited a group of quilters you'd be terrified of them. The war stories you hear! Thems some shaaaarp blades that can do serious damage to skin and tendons! I love my rotary cutters but I'm very neurotic about them too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the warning, Michelle. I'll probably stick to the safety of my paper trimmer for now. I need all my fingers working to tie bows on my cards!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikoView Post
Wow, Nancy... I had no idea about a quilting rotary cutter since I'm sewing challenged. This is great information! This site has so many talented people on it it's like reading through a craft encyclopedia!
Catherine,

You're not sewing challenged...you've just never had an opportunity to sit down with someone who can show you how easy and fun sewing is. The best background I've had for paper crafts is quilting.

As far as a rotary cutter being dangerous...less so than a craft knife. But there's no question those blades are sharp when new. Just be sure that your fingers aren't 'dangling' over the edge of the ruler when cutting, and ALWAYS return the blade to the covered position. I've been using them since they first came out (think that was about 25 years ago), and I can't remember suffering a nick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Catherine,

You're not sewing challenged...you've just never had an opportunity to sit down with someone who can show you how easy and fun sewing is. The best background I've had for paper crafts is quilting.
You are right about that. I've never been around anyone who sews or quilts, except to do a story for our local arts magazine on two ladies in our area who are extraordinary quilters. I am so enamored with quilts stemming from my childhood and I got some beautiful pictures of their work.

Maybe one day...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

WELL MY CARL CUTTER WORKS AWESOME ON CHIP BOARD. AS AN EXAPLE OF WHAT THIS CAN DO. IMAGINGE A PACKAGE OF POST A NOTES I WAS DOING A PROJECT AND HAD TO CUT THESE TO A SMALLER SIZE WELL THE CARL CUTTER CUTS THEM JUST SLICK. ABSOLUTE BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Subscribing-took a class which included making faux metal chipboard embellishments, but she had our chipboard precut. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OH thank you everyone! I'm going to look into a Carl cutter cause I am afraid of a Rotary Cutter and knowing me I would be one to have a battle story after using it! THANK YOU guys sooo much.... (SMMMMMMMIILE)

My Little Rambling World
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapbookmama_14View Post
OH thank you everyone! I'm going to look into a Carl cutter cause I am afraid of a Rotary Cutter and knowing me I would be one to have a battle story after using it! THANK YOU guys sooo much.... (SMMMMMMMIILE)
I have the Carl cutter that you can get at Staples, Costco, etc. It works perfectly on chipboard. I've actually been using mine for matboard, which is even thicker that chipboard. I sometimes have to make more than one pass, but it's easy to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

My carl cutter works great even on thick chipboard.

I have a rotary cutter like for sewing and after I received a very nasty cut tryint o cut poster board one day I vowed never again. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dulled my cutting edge when I used my Carl Cutter on chipboard. I was not happy - I had just replaced the blade

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes