Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My letter to Michael's regarding Martha's craft line.

Someone from another group suggested sending letters to Michael's about the fact that they are not accepting coupons on the MS products, actually a M's store manager had made the suggestion. So this is what I came up with. I hope some of you may feel that it is worth writing to them, even if they do not change their policy, just to let them know how we feel.
Hello, I wanted to contact you regarding the new, much talked about Martha Stewart craft line. I am thrilled to see any new crafting products, as I am a loyal Michael's shopper. Although, I must say as of the last year it has been a challenge for me to find something to use my coupon on, so any new merchandise is a treat. As a true scrapbooker and rubber stamper, I am always looking for the latest new "toys" to add to my ever growing collection, with one stipulation.... it must be a good value. When I'm talking about my craft shopping, I feel I am also referring to the hundreds of thousands of other crafters. We are collectors, as well as thrifty shoppers. it is all part of the crafting experience. I am sure you and your company are aware of the crafters' shopping habits, as you have the coupons that serve to pull us into your stores and get us to empty our wallets. Now to main main point, the Martha Stewart craft line, I was not overly impressed with it, but there were a few things that I would purchase, only if I COULD USE A COUPON! I am aware that Michael's has contracted with MS to not accept coupons on this craft product line. I just feel I am obligated to let you know that the majority of crafters both personal friends and many many from online crafting groups, the over-whelming feeling is that this has turned most off from buying Martha Stewart craft products. I think you need to seriously need to re-consider this, as the line may be in jeopardy of being on clearance in 2 years when your contract with MS is up. Thank you for you time.
Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Dina -

That is one very well written letter! My sentiments exactly! I didn't know this was going to happen once Martha came to town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

where can i sign!! good job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the letter is great but am sure she has some sort of air tight contract with Michaels so she won't lose $$$. I saw the stuff for the first time today and the only thing I bought was some acetate on a roll. I thought some of the punches were cute but way too pricey for what they were--like the one that looked like a postage stamp. It was $9.95 and to me didn't look like it should be more than $7.95. Also, the 20 x 20 scrapbooks were $79.99 plus you would need a truck to cart them around!! I agree, I would only buy some of the stuff if it was either on sale or you could use a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #5  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

The ribbon and glitter are pretty well priced.... I would be OK getting those at full price, but the rest is not so interesting without being able to use the coupon....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

One of my stampers works at Michael's, and she just told me about the coupon exclusion. I haven't seen the stuff, but it sounds pricey! As far as a "no discount" stipulation with the MS people...my understanding of most "sales" is that they expect to make it up in seeling other things when a customer walks in the store. Staples ALWAYS has something that is free after a rebate, they know you are likely to purchase another item to make up for the loss. So....I dont' get the MS no coupon thing, it just seems like a bad business decision on Michael's part. After all, they still buy the merchandise at the same price, it just Michael's profit on it is less. KWIM?
But I'll sign the letter! It sounds great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not crazy over Martha, but even if I saw something that I did want on one of our rare visits to Micheals (we don't have one around here :( ), I wouldn't go for it due to the price and the no coupon rule unless I REALLY wanted it....MUCHLY!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Michels/Martha

I agree great letter. I want to send Martha a letter as well to her web site saying there is reason why 40% could not be used every now and then unless they are going to have GREAT sales .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I went to Michaels to see what the hoopla was all about. I was not impressed. I wouldn't but anything from the line even if I could use the coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I was in there today and was completely stunned when the cashier told me I couldn't use a coupon on the MS starburst punch I wanted to buy. I went ahead and bought it anyway since I think I can put it to very good use and it was the last one on the shelf, but I don't think I'll be buying any of the other punches at $10 apiece. I do agree that the glitter and ribbon are very reasonably priced, however, and I will probably be picking up a few of those the next time I'm in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was pretty excited to see that one of our local Michaels had her line out today but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be with it all. There are a few things I might pick up here and there over time but nothing that I just had to have and most was a bit on the pricey side for what is was. A coupon would be the only way I would get the things now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great letter! Very well said.
I must admit, I have not ventured to Mike's to see the MS line as from what I read on this site as it being so pricey. It would be great if they took your letter to heart, afterall, not everybody using a coupon is going to buy her stuff!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I guess we should be lucky that our SU! customers will buy when there isn't a sale or we'd all be out of business.
SCS member #3312
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts

Your letter is well stated. Where do I sign??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Great letter! I cannot/will not support MS-ever again. She obviously has a great marketing team and knows how to read the public, but I feel like she has enough. Nobody else could ever land on their feet as well as she did after her conviction and jail time. I can't believe the arrogance of her not allowing coupons to be used on her products. Just my 2 cents..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 02:59 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

MS is crazy if she thinks she doesn't need to offer coupons. Really Michael's is not the place for this. She should have sold it in boutique stores, online or at Archivers.
In quaint, quiet, quirky little Darmstadt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the difference between Cosmo not accepting coupons for the Cricut and Martha not accepting coupons? Cricut sales seem to be doing just fine despite the lack of coupons. Personally, I really liked all of her stuff and thought it was very reasonably priced for the quality.

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I am not a MS fan, but I did go check out her stuff. Like the other posters, I was not overly impressed. I do admit to buying a large acrylic block but only because I couldn't purchase the block from Papertrey (it is on backorder). I NEED to stamp with my new faux ribbon set, and MS's acrylic block was the only one at Michael's that was large enough.

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by darmstadtdoll
MS is crazy if she thinks she doesn't need to offer coupons. Really Michael's is not the place for this. She should have sold it in boutique stores, online or at Archivers.
This is what I thought when I first heard about her going in with Michaels. Then I read the WSJ article and then I was even more convinced by the wording of the article that they really should have gone upscale. The article complained about Hobby Lobby (or was it ACMoore) and JoAnns being too lowscale for the MS line. I was totally blown away when they actually thought the Michaels was any better than those. I have yet to be in any Michaels that I thought was remotely clean, nice and resembled a higher scale store. When I think high end nice stuff, I think of Archivers. I go to Michaels to save money, and I always use my coupon on higher end stuff in the store. If I can't use the coupon on it, then obviously I don't need the stuff (because I wouldn't be able to afford replacement cartridges, etc. without the coupons anyway). Like when the you couldn't use the coupon on the Cricut anymore. Really cool tool, but too pricey to get on regular price and the replacements aren't cheap either. Sorry, Martha. I have to agree with the OP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82
This is what I thought when I first heard about her going in with Michaels. Then I read the WSJ article and then I was even more convinced by the wording of the article that they really should have gone upscale. The article complained about Hobby Lobby (or was it ACMoore) and JoAnns being too lowscale for the MS line. I was totally blown away when they actually thought the Michaels was any better than those. I have yet to be in any Michaels that I thought was remotely clean, nice and resembled a higher scale store. When I think high end nice stuff, I think of Archivers. I go to Michaels to save money, and I always use my coupon on higher end stuff in the store. If I can't use the coupon on it, then obviously I don't need the stuff (because I wouldn't be able to afford replacement cartridges, etc. without the coupons anyway). Like when the you couldn't use the coupon on the Cricut anymore. Really cool tool, but too pricey to get on regular price and the replacements aren't cheap either. Sorry, Martha. I have to agree with the OP.
I would like to know what Michaels Martha visited that she thought they were upscale. All the ones I have been in are kind of messy and a bit dirty.:confused:

visit my website: http://www.gailowens.stampinup.net

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I might be missing the boat here, but if people cannot use the coupons at Michaels on her stuff, doesn't that make SU stuff look even more appealing? I would think that would mean better business for us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 04:28 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I think writing letters to the Michael's corporate office is great, but I can tell you as a former employee of 5 years that it won't do any good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 04:33 AM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, when you think of who Martha went with (Kmart) when marketing her home line, Michael's makes perfect sense.

THere are a lot of possible reasons for this (all of them highly colored by my negative opinion of Martha, but hey, that's just me! :mrgreen: ):

• Martha couldn't get Archivers to carry her products a) because Archivers looked at them and said they weren't a good fit, and/or b) because they laughed in her face when she told them they would get white gloves to set up the display.
  • Martha feels that people who shop at discount chains have no taste or style, so it's her duty to show us exactly what we should do in our scrapbooks and in our homes.
  • Martha feels that people who shop at discount chains are not very individual, easily influenced by someone like her and open to her hypnotic suggestions that only she knows what is "a good thing."
  • Martha chose a national chain with more outlets nationwide than Archivers so she could spread her web even farther than she could with Archivers, which is not everywhere yet (Wah, no Detroit area store here!)

but the one I feel is the most likely reason is this:

Martha did her market research and found that people who watch her show and buy her magazines shop at Michael's and Kmart.
;)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Jan
These reasons are all hilarious but I actually think that you hit the nail on the head! I really do believe that Martha has some sort of idea that she needs to "educate" us lowly people out here about how things should be done. Anyway, I loved your post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Kudos for thanking initiative and writting a letter. I hate how Micheal's plays games with their prices. First the Cricut Saga, now this. Those coupons are a total hassle; if you want to give us a deal, then GIVE US A DEAL! No hoops should be required!.

Proud to be a QC (Quality Controlled:> ) Swapper!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Great letter, Dina! I went to check out the MS stuff on Friday & I have to say, "Boring"! I have been scrapping for 10 years now & she stuff reminded me of what was out there in Mike's when they 1st started carrying scrapbook supplies in 1997. I agree with some other that said they would not even buy the MS stuff if you could use a coupon. It is not innovative merchandise & I am not an MS supporter--I don't want to make her any richer!

Jan, I love your comments--you are probably right on all accounts! I think Martha is too dumb to realize that she would make more money if she let Mike's consumers use the coupon on her new line.

I would say that SU has nothing to worry about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I need an edit button! Sorry about the typos--should have proof read first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not a MS fan to say the least. :-P I watched 2 of her shows when she first aired (however many years ago that was) and I was deeply offended on how she spoke down to everyone, even the viewers "HEWWO, we're not stupid!!". I can't stand the woman!! And that was even before her jail time. I think of her as another Clinton "I didn't have s@x..." ... "I didn't know..." Come on people God gave you a brain USE IT! Anyways that's another issue. I haven't seen her newest marketing scheme (closest M's is an hour away)and I'm not sure how it will appeal to me. I just don't like the woman, didn't like her linen line, didn't like her decorating line... I guess I'm just not posh. As for them not accepting coupons for the stuff, suits me fine. I can't see MS accepting coupons for any of her "high end" products.
I'll keep my lowely butt at home and continue to order from companies that find my money is just as good as the next gal's! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:46 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Jan,
That was so funny, but sadly true. You couldn't have said it better.
As for my letter, I truly am not expecting any change as far as the coupons go. But I do think Michael's needs to hear our feedback, on the MS line as well as the coupon issue. So please if you do agree or have any opinions, let Michael's and or Martha Stewart know.
I did read on one post about how other items are also excluded from the coupons, and yes it bugs me. But I sort of understand as far as the Cricut machine goes just because of it's $ amount. I don't agree that it should be on all Cricut products. The big difference is that all of the Cricut merchandise, has been on sale at different points. I managed to get my Cricut for $139.00 and each of my cartridges were under $40.00. I am just hoping that this coupon exclusion thing is not the new trend, because my new trend would then have to be.... be happy with what I have already! Not that I don't appreciate it now, just that I would not be adding to it quite as often.
Also I wanted to add, I realize we each have our opinions about MS. I didn't mean to offend anyone who likes her or the merchandise. Actually, I tried to keep my feelings about Martha out of the issue, because then I didn't think the real point would be heard.
Thanks for all the comments on my letter.
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Jan, you are so naughty - that is what I love most about you!

Anyway, I think you're right about the market research. It is probably true that the folks that keep up with her most shop at those stores. That and Michaels does have tons of stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,045 Likes on 789 Posts

I think the only way they will accept coupons is if we refuse to buy anything without the coupon. If it doesn't sell, they'll figure it out fast enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I won't be a-buyin' or a-tryin' anything with her name on it! The people we bought our house from 5 years ago, used MS paint from KMart (they actually made special trips - there's no KMart for 50 miles) - I think we have our foyer left to repaint and then its all gone! (really, they were either not my color choices or the rooms just needed new paint - but I'm happy to see MS outta here!).

High prices, no sales, no coupons - sounds like MS.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally I would not purchase a thing that has her name on it, with or without a coupon. And all because I can not stand the woman. Why put money in her pocket?????

Jan, Your thots are great. And like someone else said, probably hit the nail on the head.

Janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

Totally agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwshelly
I guess we should be lucky that our SU! customers will buy when there isn't a sale or we'd all be out of business.

I think this lady hit the nail on the head. Those of us that have to travel to Michaels rarely get coupons, so when I go, if I see something I want, then I get it. If it's too much, than so be it. I guess I don't get what all the hoopla is about the MS line and using a coupon. I don't think it's a big deal. Don't flame me for this, but I just think people are over reacting.

Maryellen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I told my friend that I VOW to NOT purchase any MS merchandise for one year!
- no coupon - no purchase!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just came home from Michael's and didn't even LOOK at the MS stuff. It doesn't interest me in the least if I can't get it at the price that it should be (discounted, that is!) yep, cheapo here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Well, when you think of who Martha went with (Kmart) when marketing her home line, Michael's makes perfect sense.

THere are a lot of possible reasons for this (all of them highly colored by my negative opinion of Martha, but hey, that's just me! :mrgreen: ):

• Martha couldn't get Archivers to carry her products a) because Archivers looked at them and said they weren't a good fit, and/or b) because they laughed in her face when she told them they would get white gloves to set up the display.
  • Martha feels that people who shop at discount chains have no taste or style, so it's her duty to show us exactly what we should do in our scrapbooks and in our homes.
  • Martha feels that people who shop at discount chains are not very individual, easily influenced by someone like her and open to her hypnotic suggestions that only she knows what is "a good thing."
  • Martha chose a national chain with more outlets nationwide than Archivers so she could spread her web even farther than she could with Archivers, which is not everywhere yet (Wah, no Detroit area store here!)

but the one I feel is the most likely reason is this:

Martha did her market research and found that people who watch her show and buy her magazines shop at Michael's and Kmart.
;)
Jan, I totally agree with you on every one of these!

Martha being K-Mart totally cracks my tush up! You should see our K-Mart. It's the ONLY store in a large shopping complex......ALL of the other stores in this complex went out a LONG time ago and are all boarded up and have graffiti all over them.

Martha wanting to go upscale? BIG FAT GIANT HONKIN' SNARF!

I wonder if she knows that her precious line is at a K-Mart that looks like it belongs in the slums? I think if she visited the K-Mart up here, she would die of a coronary! I can guarantee you that she'd be donning her HAZMAT suit instead of a pair of white gloves!

Personally................I BOYCOTT Martha. Yah, so it may not revolutionize the world, but at least it makes me feel better not buying any of her overpriced sweat-shop crap.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitcha
I told my friend that I VOW to NOT purchase any MS merchandise for one year!
- no coupon - no purchase!
Hey, I like your idea. I really don't get much there anyway.

visit my website: http://www.gailowens.stampinup.net

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Cricut is a fairly unique system -- people will pay for that. People aren't necessarily going to pay for scrapbook supplies just because they are Martha Stewart. The MS line is not super unique (well, maybe except for the 18x18 scrapbook and paper) -- you can find similar products and colors in other lines and use a coupon on them.

Just any FYI -- a lot of the Martha Stewart line is manufactured (or distributed, or whatever) by EK Success.

I didn't dislike the MS line, I just didn't find it anything special. I did like some of the small MS craft kits and thought most of them were reasonably priced.

Sarah........

Quote:

Originally Posted by katydidnt
What's the difference between Cosmo not accepting coupons for the Cricut and Martha not accepting coupons? Cricut sales seem to be doing just fine despite the lack of coupons. Personally, I really liked all of her stuff and thought it was very reasonably priced for the quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax
Someone from another group suggested sending letters to Michael's about the fact that they are not accepting coupons on the MS products, actually a M's store manager had made the suggestion. So this is what I came up with. I hope some of you may feel that it is worth writing to them, even if they do not change their policy, just to let them know how we feel.
Hello, I wanted to contact you regarding the new, much talked about Martha Stewart craft line. I am thrilled to see any new crafting products, as I am a loyal Michael's shopper. Although, I must say as of the last year it has been a challenge for me to find something to use my coupon on, so any new merchandise is a treat. As a true scrapbooker and rubber stamper, I am always looking for the latest new "toys" to add to my ever growing collection, with one stipulation.... it must be a good value. When I'm talking about my craft shopping, I feel I am also referring to the hundreds of thousands of other crafters. We are collectors, as well as thrifty shoppers. it is all part of the crafting experience. I am sure you and your company are aware of the crafters' shopping habits, as you have the coupons that serve to pull us into your stores and get us to empty our wallets. Now to main main point, the Martha Stewart craft line, I was not overly impressed with it, but there were a few things that I would purchase, only if I COULD USE A COUPON! I am aware that Michael's has contracted with MS to not accept coupons on this craft product line. I just feel I am obligated to let you know that the majority of crafters both personal friends and many many from online crafting groups, the over-whelming feeling is that this has turned most off from buying Martha Stewart craft products. I think you need to seriously need to re-consider this, as the line may be in jeopardy of being on clearance in 2 years when your contract with MS is up. Thank you for you time.
Dina
Wow! Dina. YOu really worded this letter well. I think you use a lot of tact while getting your point across. well said.
Reply With Quote Likes